Start by marking “Unfinished Portrait of Jessica” as Want to Read:
Unfinished Portrait of Jessica

Unfinished Portrait of Jessica

When Jessica's parents divorce and her father leaves, Jessica decides that the best way to punish her mother is to retreat to her room, a shrine to her glamorous traveling photographer dad.

Then Jessica's mother offers to let her visit her father in Mexico for the holidays, at the fabulous house of her father's uncle Lucius, a famous painter. Jessica is thrilled.

Once there,
Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages
Published September 1st 1993 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Unfinished Portrait of Jessica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unfinished Portrait of Jessica

Victoria
Jul 13, 2015 Victoria rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I think I read this book about 20 times as a kid. One last reread before I get rid of it. Another book where I now identify with the mom more than the angsty teenager.
Stephanie
The writing in this book is so well done it's a wonder I'm only giving it 3 stars.

This is the story of 14 year old Jessica, who lives with the enemy, her mother. Jessica blames her mother for her father leaving. She has painted this godlike portrait of her father not knowing what he's really, truly like. For months she has been treating her mother like shit (I hated this part of the book and character). Later her father sends for her to come down to Mexico for Christmas break and she is eager t
Michelle
I read this book around the time it first came out in the early 1990's. I was probably 11. As an adult, I have been looking back on books that left an impression on me and I remembered this book. What I remembered was identifying with the main character as she felt angry and resentful toward her parents once she began to discover all their imperfections. What I also remembered was feeling like I had been transported to Mexico and actually spent time with the glamorous young adults Jessica spends ...more
emma
Aug 05, 2016 emma rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
This book was alright. I though Jessica's enthrallment with her dad/hatred for her mom was really weird… weirdness.
I loved the end though, that was good...
Cass
Mar 16, 2010 Cass rated it liked it
A true picture of a typical 13-14 year old girl who thinks the grass is greener on the other side. In this case, living with her father has to be better than being with her mother. She learns the truth.
Heather
Jul 29, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preteens and teens
This book was about a 13 soon to be 14 year oldn who's dad leaves her when she is really young. She loves her dad and thinks he can do no wrong. Her mom sends her to Mexico for christmas break. He turns out to be a jerk.
Barbara White
Jun 11, 2015 Barbara White rated it it was amazing
Anything written by Richard Peck is a favorite of mine. He has such a great way with words, and Mr. Peck can write for all of us....for the young, young-adult, and adults.
Ryan Thalman
Ryan Thalman rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Kendra
Kendra rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2009
Bristan
Bristan rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2013
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2012
Beccanox
Beccanox rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Angella Eanes
Angella Eanes rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2012
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2008
Kellie
Kellie rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2008
Bcoghill Coghill
Bcoghill Coghill rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2008
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2008
Charlene
Charlene rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2010
Scarletnatalia
Scarletnatalia rated it liked it
May 22, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2008
Ash Rodgers
Ash Rodgers rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2009
Sarah Michele
Sarah Michele rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2012
Laura rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2008
Wesley
Wesley rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
Jessicadenhart
Jessicadenhart rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2011
Sandi Mascio
Sandi Mascio rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Affected by this book? 1 2 Nov 04, 2012 08:42AM
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...