Start by marking “Don't Look and It Won't Hurt” as Want to Read:
Don't Look and It Won't Hurt

Don't Look and It Won't Hurt

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"Out at the city limits there's this sign that says WELCOME TO CLAYPITTS, PEARL OF THE PRAIRIE, and if you'd believe that, you'd believe anything."

Sixteen-year-old Carol Patterson is a girl in the middle: in the middle of her sisters, in the middle of her adolescence, in the middle of her family's problems.

It is the early seventies and the world is in turmoil, but hardly a
Published November 15th 1999 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Look and It Won't Hurt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Look and It Won't Hurt

Vanessa
i read this one over and over at 12 or so. now it's dated, but the spot-on observations of Carol are still spot-on.
Taylor Lusk
The story take place in Carol's hometown of Claypitts. Life isn't very exciting in Claypitts, so it's no wonder when Carol's sister, Ellen, decides to run off to Chicago to follow a pot dealer that got her pregnant. Carol decides to take a trip to Chicago and convince her sister that her family still loves her and to give up her baby for adoption.

I wasn't a fan of this book. Maybe it's because it was written so long ago, but I just could connect with the characters. Two stars for effort.
Angel Ica
This is one of my favorite books. Maybe I grow an attachment to books I loved as a kid/teenager, but this book is so well written that when I went back and read it again as an adult it still left an impression. Written in the 60s, some of the content is a little outdated, but a coming of age story never goes out of style.
Emily Townsley
Fiction/Teen pregnancy/Coming of age

Carol is a plain Jane living in a small mid-western town. Her dad left at young age, leaving her mother to go to work as a hostess at a truck stop to support her three daughters. Carol is now a teenager who has little connection with her mother. Her older sister Ellen has become pregnant and leaves for Chicago. Carol finds a way to go visit and learns life lessons in the process.

I enjoyed reading this book because it shows a broken family in a realistic way. I
Donna
This was Peck's first novel. It centers around a family in a small Midwestern town. Carol Patterson is in the iddle, chronologically and emotionally. Her father left when she eas six. Her mother works most evenings as a hostess in a restaurant. Carol's older sister, Ellen, becomes pregnant by a man currently serving a drug sentence. It's Carol who tries to keep her mother calm and their lives in tact. Ellen elects to go to a home for unwed mothers in Chicago and her mother clamps down even harde ...more
Ashley
I liked this book for the most part, but I hated the ending. I was dumbfounded when I finished it because there were at least three major issues that weren't resolved. What happened to Ellen? What happened to Jerry? What happened to Otis the cat? The rest of the book was so interesting, I hated not knowing how they all fared within the near future. Even if nothing had worked out at the end, at least it would have been an ending. I really felt like he could have written a whole new book about eve ...more
Taxandria
I read this in the early 90's as I had written to Richard Peck a few times since 1985 and he actually sent me an autographed copy of this book and recommended it to me because I was going through a bad family situation at the time. It was super nice of him, but then, he'd always been super nice. I have quite a few letters from him still, among my treasured possessions. I started writing to him when I was 12. I'm 40 now and we haven't kept in touch because you know, life and all but I still have ...more
Bethany
Awesome book! You should really read this if you are in 7th or 8th grade.
I first read this young adult novel by Newbery Award winner Peck a couple of years ago. I saw the 1992 movie based on the novel - Gas, Food, Lodging - with Ione Skye first. I loved the movie and loved the book.
SmarterLilac
I read this in 11th grade while being bored in biology (a friend of mine was reading it and I couldn't believe she'd stooped so low.) I can't believe my beloved Richard Peck ever dropped to this level.
Liz
A look at a typical broken home and life from a young girl's perspective. Well written and kept my attention. I hardly wanted to put it down.
Catherine
This novel talks about teen pregnancy, drugs, divorce, and the Vietnam war. I enjoyed the story and found the characters realistic.
Elisabeth
I didn't like this one as much as the other Richard Peck books that I've read recently. It was still good though.
David
It was not clear to me where the story was going, so I never really got into this book.
Tracy
this is the book that became allison anders' 'gas, food, lodging'
broke my 13-year old heart.
Elizabeth
I'm pretty sure this was the basis of "Gas Food Lodging" .... remember that?
Theresa
I thought it was pretty good for the time and its contents
Debbie
The movie "Gas, Food, Lodging" was based on this book.
Dec 06, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
One of my favorite books in middle school.
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Javier
Javier marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Mikayla
Mikayla marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Kim B.
Kim B. marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
  • The Grounding of Group 6
  • The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes
  • The Other Side of Silence
  • Weeping Willow
  • Ode to Billy Joe (Dell)
  • Switching Well
  • The Three Little Pigs Book & CD
  • The Last of the Just
  • Mel
  • Mom, the Wolf Man, and Me
  • Cat Running
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • Tell Me If the Lovers Are Losers
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • The Eyes of the Amaryllis
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...
A Long Way from Chicago (A Long Way from Chicago, #1) A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2) The Teacher's Funeral : A Comedy in Three Parts The River Between Us A Season of Gifts (A Long Way from Chicago, #3)