Start by marking “Don't Look and It Won't Hurt” as Want to Read:
Don't Look and It Won't Hurt

Don't Look and It Won't Hurt

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
"Out at the city limits there's this sign that says WELCOME TO CLAYPITTS, PEARL OF THE PRAIRIE, and if you'd believe that, you'd believe anything."

Sixteen-year-old Carol Patterson is a girl in the middle: in the middle of her sisters, in the middle of her adolescence, in the middle of her family's problems.

It is the early seventies and the world is in turmoil, but hardly a
Published November 15th 1999 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published January 1st 1972)

Vanessa
i read this one over and over at 12 or so. now it's dated, but the spot-on observations of Carol are still spot-on.
Angel Ica
Mar 05, 2014 Angel Ica rated it really liked it
Shelves: love
This is one of my favorite books. Maybe I grow an attachment to books I loved as a kid/teenager, but this book is so well written that when I went back and read it again as an adult it still left an impression. Written in the 60s, some of the content is a little outdated, but a coming of age story never goes out of style.
Taylor Lusk
Apr 08, 2014 Taylor Lusk rated it it was ok
Shelves: yal-13-25
The story take place in Carol's hometown of Claypitts. Life isn't very exciting in Claypitts, so it's no wonder when Carol's sister, Ellen, decides to run off to Chicago to follow a pot dealer that got her pregnant. Carol decides to take a trip to Chicago and convince her sister that her family still loves her and to give up her baby for adoption.

I wasn't a fan of this book. Maybe it's because it was written so long ago, but I just could connect with the characters. Two stars for effort.
Emily Townsley
Dec 09, 2009 Emily Townsley rated it liked it
Shelves: english-420
Fiction/Teen pregnancy/Coming of age

Carol is a plain Jane living in a small mid-western town. Her dad left at young age, leaving her mother to go to work as a hostess at a truck stop to support her three daughters. Carol is now a teenager who has little connection with her mother. Her older sister Ellen has become pregnant and leaves for Chicago. Carol finds a way to go visit and learns life lessons in the process.

I enjoyed reading this book because it shows a broken family in a realistic way. I
Donna
Mar 05, 2010 Donna rated it it was amazing
This was Peck's first novel. It centers around a family in a small Midwestern town. Carol Patterson is in the iddle, chronologically and emotionally. Her father left when she eas six. Her mother works most evenings as a hostess in a restaurant. Carol's older sister, Ellen, becomes pregnant by a man currently serving a drug sentence. It's Carol who tries to keep her mother calm and their lives in tact. Ellen elects to go to a home for unwed mothers in Chicago and her mother clamps down even harde ...more
Ashley
Aug 04, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it
I liked this book for the most part, but I hated the ending. I was dumbfounded when I finished it because there were at least three major issues that weren't resolved. What happened to Ellen? What happened to Jerry? What happened to Otis the cat? The rest of the book was so interesting, I hated not knowing how they all fared within the near future. Even if nothing had worked out at the end, at least it would have been an ending. I really felt like he could have written a whole new book about eve ...more
Taxandria
Jun 09, 2013 Taxandria rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this in the early 90's as I had written to Richard Peck a few times since 1985 and he actually sent me an autographed copy of this book and recommended it to me because I was going through a bad family situation at the time. It was super nice of him, but then, he'd always been super nice. I have quite a few letters from him still, among my treasured possessions. I started writing to him when I was 12. I'm 40 now and we haven't kept in touch because you know, life and all but I still have ...more
Bethany
Oct 19, 2014 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2nd-quarter
Awesome book! You should really read this if you are in 7th or 8th grade.
Soobie's heartbroken
Da una lettura posteriore mi era piaciuto. Ma a dodici anni, Soobie scriveva:
Bel libro. La fine non mi piace molto. Non è lungo ma racconta molto bene i fatti. La protagonista fa un lungo viaggio per andare a trovare sua sorella Ellen che era incinta a 17 anni.
Jul 21, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I first read this young adult novel by Newbery Award winner Peck a couple of years ago. I saw the 1992 movie based on the novel - Gas, Food, Lodging - with Ione Skye first. I loved the movie and loved the book.
SmarterLilac
Oct 03, 2010 SmarterLilac rated it did not like it
I read this in 11th grade while being bored in biology (a friend of mine was reading it and I couldn't believe she'd stooped so low.) I can't believe my beloved Richard Peck ever dropped to this level.
Amy Knighton
May 28, 2016 Amy Knighton rated it liked it
It was sad. I loved A Long Way From Chicago and A Year Down Yonder. They were cute and laugh out loud funny. This book was good but had a sad mood.
Liz
Oct 12, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
A look at a typical broken home and life from a young girl's perspective. Well written and kept my attention. I hardly wanted to put it down.
Catherine
Jan 26, 2010 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This novel talks about teen pregnancy, drugs, divorce, and the Vietnam war. I enjoyed the story and found the characters realistic.
Elisabeth
Mar 17, 2011 Elisabeth rated it it was ok
I didn't like this one as much as the other Richard Peck books that I've read recently. It was still good though.
David
May 03, 2010 David rated it liked it
It was not clear to me where the story was going, so I never really got into this book.
Tracy
this is the book that became allison anders' 'gas, food, lodging'
broke my 13-year old heart.
Elizabeth
I'm pretty sure this was the basis of "Gas Food Lodging" .... remember that?
Theresa
I thought it was pretty good for the time and its contents
Debbie
The movie "Gas, Food, Lodging" was based on this book.
Dec 06, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
One of my favorite books in middle school.
Cheryl Selby
Cheryl Selby rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Kyah
Kyah marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Isabelle Harvey
Isabelle Harvey marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
  • The Three Bears
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • The Elves and the Shoemaker
  • Cat Running
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...