Start by marking “Hunting for Hope: A Father's Journeys” as Want to Read:
Hunting for Hope: A Father's Journeys

Hunting for Hope: A Father's Journeys

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  17 reviews
After an angry confrontation with his son on a hiking trip intended to restore their relationship, Scott Sanders realizes that his own despair has darkened his son's world. In Hunting for Hope he sets out to gather his own reasons for facing the future with hope, finding powers of healing in nature, in culture, in community, in spirit, and within each of us.
Published September 15th 1999 by Beacon Press (first published August 25th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hunting for Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunting for Hope

David
Dec 29, 2014 David rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: nope
I find this "Hunting for Hope" book awful. It's like that Barbara Ehrenreich "holy shit, poor people exist and they're JUST LIKE US" Nickled & Dimed book, only if she hadn't bothered to even do a bit of slumming by working as a waitress, maid, and Walmart cashier, but rather just ran into a waitress on the street and almost said "hi." And instead of quoting Marx she quoted the letters of the Apostle Paul. And if she weren't a journalist, and thus had prose like that of a 10th grader just lea ...more
Patrick
Scott is one of the most humble, gentle, humane people I've known - and his writing is simply a pleasure. Here, he confronts his son's question: why should I be optimistic in such an age as this? Scott's answers - or better, his journey toward those answers - are forthright, hard-earned, and real. Scott's thoughtful reflections are a balm.
Jen K.
Scott Russell Sanders writes with a beautiful economy and grounded sensibility that makes him intensely readable. Like, you'll read a sentence and all you can think is, "wow, that's exactly how I've been feeling about that issue, but articulated with incredible eloquence and grace." That said, there are times when his vision of what our society must become in order to stop destroying the earth is a little bit candy and lollipops... I'd love to be able to believe that his vision of caring, interc ...more
Matthew
This summer I was talking to a friend who is rather pessimistic about the state of our nation and world. He has a degree in ecology/environmental-something and he knows exactly what a hole we are working ourselves into. He told me that he has had a hard time finding hope in our crazy, consumer driven age. This book opens with that same kind of situation. The following premise of the book is the author searching for and validating reasons to have hope even in the midst of the destruction in which ...more
John Blevins
Loved it. Gave copies as gifts.
Cassidy
This is a true story about the author's relationship with his children, and specifically his son. I enjoyed this read because of how deeply the author explores his emotions and behavior towards his son, and how this in turn strongly influences his sons growth. I also value highly his continued struggle to be a better father figure (although he is great anyways!), and I think this is partly because of the high esteem I have for my own father (who gave me this book). It isn't long, but read it, es ...more
Gregory Venezia
The writing is good.

I do not agree with Sanders opinion that skills are going to waste. For every old skill that is fazed out, a new one replaces it. And all the skills that are fazed out are no longer necessary, so to hold on to them is useless. (they are still written about however.)
Emily
Scott Russell Sanders was a professor of mine in college. I love this collection of short stories, it helps to try and answer the question... in this world of ours, is there any reason left to hope? Sanders not only gives us reasons, but he forces us to face the good aspects of our own lives.
John Smith
If you have cynicism, fatigue from the weight of the world and sometimes just wonder how we haven't blown everything up already, then read this book for a change of heart. The characters can relate and the story is mixed with forays into the meaning and souces of hope.
Jenny Lee
I read an excerpt from this book last quarter and felt called to read it. I'm often torn between feeling like the world is going to hell and wanting to save it, maybe this book will give help me with some of my indecision.
Amy
I never have read this all the way through. I just read chapters at a time and never in order. I really do not think you have to read all of it to understand what each chapter is saying.
Libby
Scott is deeply honest, exposing his own shortcomings and frustrations while reminding us to strive for more out of each other and life. The book is centering, healing.
Jenny
a brilliant book by one of my favorite professors whose class made (and this book) made me look at my relationship with one of my parents in a wonderful way.
Gail
As a father, Sanders looks for answers to his children's and his students' questions about hope. Lots of great nature descriptions here as well.
Victoria Weinstein
Jun 20, 2008 Victoria Weinstein rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preachers
Get this one for next Father's Day! Lots and lots of preachable great stuff from Mr. Sanders, including church-appropriate readings.
Scott
Sanders helps the reader find beauty in human experience. Great messages, and especially welcome in times of trial.
Malloree
Possibly my favorite non- fiction ever. Beautifully written and perfect thing to boost spirits on a bad day.
John P.
John P. marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Jijiny
Jijiny marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Ruthie
Ruthie marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Padera
Padera added it
Jun 06, 2015
Haley
Haley is currently reading it
May 07, 2015
A.R.
A.R. marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Rammelyn I.
Rammelyn I. marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
  • Riverwalking: Reflections on Moving Water
  • Faith in a Seed: The Dispersion of Seeds & Other Late Natural History Writings
  • Under the Sea Wind
  • The Great Lakes Water Wars
  • One Nation Under Therapy: How the Helping Culture Is Eroding Self-Reliance
  • Mark of the Grizzly: True Stories of Recent Bear Attacks and the Hard Lessons Learned
  • The Medicalization of Society: On the Transformation of Human Conditions into Treatable Disorders
  • Standing by Words
  • Fostering Sustainable Behavior: An Introduction to Community-Based Social Marketing
  • Beyond Ecophobia: Reclaiming the Heart in Nature Education (Nature Literacy Series, Vol. 1) (Nature Literacy)
  • Not All of Us Are Saints: A Doctor's Journey with the Poor
  • Healing the Soul in the Age of the Brain: Becoming Conscious in an Unconcscious World
  • Letters from the Hive: An Intimate History of Bees, Honey, and Humankind
  • The Geography of Childhood: Why Children Need Wild Places
  • The Self Made Tapestry: Pattern Formation in Nature
  • The Unexpected Universe
  • The Orchard: A Memoir
  • Great Possessions : An Amish Farmer's Journal
Scott Russell Sanders is an American novelist and essayist.His twenty books of fiction and nonfiction include A Private History of Awe and A Conservationist Manifesto. The best of his essays from the past thirty years, plus nine new essays, are collected in Earth Works, published in 2012 by Indiana University Press. Among his honors are the Lannan Literary Award, the John Burroughs Essay Award, th ...more
More about Scott Russell Sanders...
A Private History of Awe Staying Put: Making a Home in a Restless World Writing from the Center Paradise of Bombs A Conservationist Manifesto

“Since I could not forget the wounds to people and planet, could not unlearn the dismal numbers--of pollution and population and poverty--that foretold catastrophe, I would have to look harder for antidotes, for medicines, for sources of hope.” 0 likes