Start by marking “Hide Your Eyes” as Want to Read:
Hide Your Eyes

Hide Your Eyes (Samantha Leiffer Mystery #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Samantha Leiffer has a self-centered self-help guru for a mother, a cadre of off-kilter Greenwich Village pals, and an ambisexually-cheating ex-boyfriend. She doesn't need more grief. Then she spies two people dumping a dubious-looking ice chest into the Hudson River, and she has a chilling hunch about what's inside. Not being the kind of girl to let two psychos get away w ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Signet (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hide Your Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hide Your Eyes

Virginia
I enjoy reading books that were nominated for awards but didn't win; this was one of those books (Edgar nomination). The nomination usually means the book is well written, has something unique and compelling, and is a good choice when faced with a vast array of books in the chosen genre.

I'm not sure I would have given this book the nomination. It was fine, but it wasn't compelling. The crimes were darker than the writing; the book was fluffier than it should have been for its topic. It flirted
Jenn
I was very confused at the beginning of this book. The writing style, descriptive narrative was very dark. The cast of characters are a bit "out there" and are a bit hard to connect with. That said, I was compelled to keep reading.

Ms. Gaylin provides us with a crime and suspect but with so little information that you feel you have become the main character as you try and find out who is the culprit. The events, suspects, actions keep changing quickly that keep you guessing throughout. The next
Jennifer Wardrip
If someone had told me a few months ago that there was such a book as chick-lit romantic suspense, I would have said they were crazy. Alas, little did I know that not only does such a book exits, it's a totally awesome new genre! You really don't want to miss HIDE YOUR EYES by Alison Gaylin, and you definitely don't want to overlook her brand of sassiness, sarcastic humor, and down-and-dirty romantic suspense.

Poor Samantha Leiffer-the girl just cannot get a break! She moved to New York to be wi
Fatema Al Fardan
I was in a bookstore looking for a good book to read. I was looking through the shelfs and this book caught my eyes. The book cover was interesting and the description wasn't bad either.
I decided to buy the book, and somehow I never got to read the book. It stayed with me for a year unread.
Recently I decided to read the unread books in my bookshelf.
I wasn't hooked at first, but then BOOM. I couldn't drop the books out of my hands, I was hooked. The book is very much interesting. Not the style I
Vivisection
I made a rookie mistake. I read two books by the same author back to back-two different series no less.

What I like: I like that Gaylin has strong, well developed characters. Even though I found Samantha to be a bit of a ninny, I'd totally bogart Yale for a best gay.

What I found annoying: The character pattern. Spunky heroine with kooky male sidekick. Brenna Spector/Trent (And She Was) and Samantha/Yale seem awfully interchangeable. Plus the hunky cop as love interest.

What I found really, real
Danica
lovit !!!!! one of the best books I've read in a verby long time... just love al the twists and turns an have to say GREAT JOB Alison Gaylin
Rick
After reading the excellent AND SHE WAS, I had to go back and see some of this author's earlier work. This, I believe, is one of her first novels. It was enjoyable, but flawed--the mix of humor with dark suspense (very dark--the murder of children) did not really gel and Gaylin got bogged down in her plot, taking time away from what could have been a suspenseful story for fluffy passages about the main character's work that didn't really advance the story (although it helped us know better her v ...more
Madeline Griffith
Was really good. Kinda hard to follow, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.
Resident Optimist
Quite interesting, a mystery novel, it was a quick read, and chicken as I am, scared be at quite a few bits. It's the eerie-ness of it XD

But yeah, both the female and male leads were likable, and the 'suspect' was slightly surprising, it's an idea seen before, but still quite surprising,

Overall an enjoyable read, I'd recommend it for those looking for a quick and light read with touches of romance in it

Detective Krull (regardless of his clothes' taste) sounds hot XD
Peggy Walker
I loved this book. The characters were wonderful...quirky, interesting and very well drawn. This book is a mystery, but the heroine has a wonderful, witty sense of humor and it's told in first person. She balances two jobs...working in a theater box office and as a preschool teacher. The story is well told and interesting. The clues or messages are properly macabre. It's full of characters who seem to be the killer...but aren't. Quick, fun read.
Jeannen
This is a mystery that I bought on impulse when I was at Queen Anne Avenue Books. It was written in the first person, which is usually a big red flag for me – I think it is really hard to tell a mystery story in the first person – but I was in the mood to buy something that day. Not a good choice. Some good lines, but no real character development. Not a keeper.
Kellie
Not a great read, but not a bad one. It was definitely an easy one, though. Some of the descriptions were a little weird, and there was some cheesy dialogue, but have to give the author some kudos since I didn't figure out the "real" killer ahead of time. The book did get better toward the end, as the action increased.
Connie
For a first book, I thought this was very good. It had a lot of plot and I was enjoying every minute of this one. I am definitely going to look for more by this author. The suspense was good, with just a smattering of romance.
Mary
I whiled away the morning/early afternoon reading snatches of this silly book while simultaneously cleaning my house. Both activities were equally wearying but at least my house is clean so it wasn't a complete waste of time.
Jeffrey
May 01, 2008 Jeffrey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People looking for a beach read
Good trashy train read. Had a little suspense as the killer is unexpected although some things were not. As a first novel, was pretty good.
Jodie
A fun, quick read with some quirky characters and laugh out loud moments. No real character development as such but it was still quite likeable.
Sarah Pottenger
A preschool teacher witnesses the disposal of a body. It was all right, but I don't feel a pressing need to read any more of these.
Rebekkila
Pretty good thriller. The love story didn't take up a lot of the plot. The characters weren't fleshed out very well though.
Fab
Aug 07, 2011 Fab added it
I loved this book... the only problem is that it isn't longer. Hope there will be many more books with these characters.
Jenn
Excellent! I lived the characters, the tiny bit of romance and the fast-paced thriller. And, no, I had no inkling on whodunit.
Melanie Tucker
good book, looking fwd to the sequel coming out at the end of this month!
Tamara
Decent read, like the characters more than the plot.
Susan
Really good mystery and suspense.
Laurie Armstrong
Alison is my new Janet Evanovich.
Pam
Readergirl77 marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
  • Step on it, Cupid
  • Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak
  • Confessions Of An Air Hostess (Little Black Dress)
  • The Not-So-Perfect Man
  • Just Say Yes. Phillipa Ashley
  • Everything Nice
  • The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom
  • The Program (Tim Rackley #2)
  • She Woke Up Married
  • The Wildfire Season
  • Shadows Still Remain
  • The Lonely Girls Club
  • When the Storm Breaks
  • Acts of Desperation
  • The Last Witness (Lou Mason Mystery #2)
  • Life Sentence
  • The Chalet Girl (Little Black Dress)
  • The Fifth Angel
Alison Gaylin is a journalist who has covered the arts and entertainment for more than fifteen years. Her first novel, HIDE YOUR EYES, debuted in March, 2005 with nearly a quarter of a million copies in print and was nominated for the prestigious Edgar Award for a first novel. The sequel, YOU KILL ME, was published in 2006 to rave reviews. Her first hardcover, TRASHED, out in September 2007, launc ...more
More about Alison Gaylin...

Samantha Leiffer Mystery (2 books)
  • You Kill Me
And She Was Into the Dark Trashed Stay With Me: A Brenna Spector Novel of Suspense You Kill Me