Start by marking “Behind the Gates: Life, Security, and the Pursuit of Happiness in Fortress America” as Want to Read:

3.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
First Published in 2003. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Published August 30th 2004 by Routledge (first published April 25th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Gates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Gates

Athena
Feb 01, 2008 Athena rated it it was ok
Disappointing -- Low doesn't reveal anything new or interesting about why people choose to live in gated communities.
Megan
Apr 24, 2008 Megan rated it it was ok
Another book that should have been left an essay.
Lauren DeLong
Apr 30, 2015 Lauren DeLong rated it really liked it
Fascinating, balanced analysis of gated communities and how they're used throughout the world. Some information is of course now dated, but the motivations behind gating yourself off from the rest of society are unlikely to change any time soon. Well worth the read for any urban planner or anyone with a passing interest in it, especially as concerns American suburbia.
Betsy McGee
Mar 31, 2012 Betsy McGee rated it really liked it
Ever stop to think about what makes you feel safe and what makes you feel in danger?

This is a fantastic book about the social, economic, and psychological concepts of danger. Low has a wonderful, easy-to-read style that is informative without being condescending (rare in Anthropology books!). By showing and explaining the world within and behind the gates, we can begin to understand why we feel concepts of safety and danger, why we flock to those like us and avoid the "others", and the symbolic
Michael
Dec 27, 2007 Michael rated it did not like it
This was a painful read. Low's account takes a balanced approach yet, ultimately I have to ask myself "what's the point?." There were some specific things that really bothered me about this book. As this was a few years ago, and I haven't slept much since then, I forget...and I'm not pulling it down from the shelf ever again... unless I need to feed a fire.
Conner
Nov 09, 2010 Conner rated it liked it
Pretty interesting content of the book, interesting to think about. The book had way too much dialogue though for my taste.
Santiago Cembrano
Santiago Cembrano marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Laura Cooke
Laura Cooke marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Qendresa Ajeti
Qendresa Ajeti rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Prasanna
Prasanna marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Kavitha
Kavitha rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Howard Wagler
Howard Wagler marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Dakota
Dakota rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Nancy
Nancy added it
Jan 23, 2016
ST
ST marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Roo
Roo marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Kyo
Kyo is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2015
Galen Stolee
Galen Stolee marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Viccup
Viccup added it
Dec 12, 2015
Zack Reagin
Zack Reagin marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Claire
Claire added it
Sep 01, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015