Start by marking “Come Back Barbara” as Want to Read:
Come Back Barbara

Come Back Barbara

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
An inspiring account of a prodigal daughter's return to faith and her reconciliation with her father.
Published July 1st 1997 by P & R Publishing (first published July 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Come Back Barbara, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Back Barbara

Steven Wedgeworth
Jun 29, 2015 Steven Wedgeworth rated it really liked it
As with all things by Jack Miller, I have some significant reservations about his methodology, however, this book was very good. I especially liked reading his daughter's interactions after each chapter. I would recommend this book for anyone dealing with a lost friend or relative.
Amy Vereggen-goeldner
Nov 09, 2015 Amy Vereggen-goeldner rated it it was amazing
I discovered this book while reading Rose Marie Miller's book called "From Fear to Freedom". I enjoyed reading the gentle pastor's journey to unconditional love for his daughter who makes many mistakes on her journey to Christ. There is so much wisdom within this book, both for parenting teens and for being a Christian. I also enjoyed Barbara's own personal account after each chapter from her dad. I realize it's so important for me to read other people's sharing of their own spiritual journeys. ...more
Peter Mead
Jul 26, 2014 Peter Mead rated it really liked it
God’s grace in action through the journey of one family as their daughter walked away from it all, but by God’s work in her and her parents, was gradually won back, or rather, won, for and by Christ. A must read for all parents, a case study in how God wins souls!

This is a gripping book that would help so many parents of "rebels" . . . I really appreciated the honesty, the clarity of the gospel and the power in this story. Wholeheartedly recommended.
Go2therock
Jul 17, 2014 Go2therock rated it really liked it
Just finished this book and I'll be going back to re-read it again, this time doing it as a study with my husband. Being in the early throes of a similar story, we found this book to be so supportive - of our relationship with Christ, our daughter, and one another. It really has helped us to find our way in extremely tricky terrain. I highly recommend to all parents of prodigals.
Anita
Nov 26, 2013 Anita rated it really liked it
Come Back Barbara is a helpful book in understanding a prodigal child. Christian home, loving parents, good opportunities are not the determining factor in whether a person lives for God or not. Only God changes a heart. As parents, it can be hard to live with that understanding. But I believe it gives hope. This book too gives hope. It shows how heart wrenching it is as a parent to watch a child raised as a Christian walk away. But it shows how God uses all things to work in the hearts of all t ...more
Roger Phillips
Feb 21, 2015 Roger Phillips rated it it was amazing
A great reminder that it is not only important to talk to our children about God, but perhaps even more important, particularly as they grow older, to talk to God about our children.
Christine Dattilo
Mar 19, 2013 Christine Dattilo rated it it was amazing
If you are parenting a child through the teenage years and beyond, this book will be an encouragement. Jack Miller's candidness and vulnerability soaks every page. He quickly points out his areas of pride, his times of anger, his frustration and his desire to "fix Barbara." Barbara writes every other chapter, sharing her pain and "lostness" through those difficult years.

I marked up the book and dog-earred the pages. I've spent time praying some of the same prayers Jack shares. I shed tears with
Trina
Oct 04, 2012 Trina added it

Every believing Christian should own this book- the pages should be
Crumpled and it all
Marked up- it is the most
Beautiful description of the gospel I have ever read- besides the Gospel- we are all
2 seconds away from being the wayward one or having helped one go wayward- no matter how much you love Jesus- this book on its largest scale shows you how to love someone ( even the church?) who has hurt you to the core- and loving them
Exactly where they are- the whole idea is radical-
Linda
Jan 12, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
This book is about a "wayward" daughter who struggles under the pressures of what it's like to have a pastor for a father. One of the best parenting books I've read, considering that the entire book is about how we as parents can put so many unspoken expectations on our children, and only when we entrust them to the Lord, can we find freedom, grace, and joy to let them be who God desires them to be.
Grace filled, gospel centered, and humbling.
Christine
I read Come Back, Barbara at Mom's recommendation and after reading the positive review from Car (thanks again for mailing it to me). I'd say this is a good read for any Christian parent even those without wayward children. It seems like it is much easier to treat bad behavior with behavior modification techniques instead of dealing with the heart issue behind a given action. An easy read, but enjoyable and instructive.
Don Bryant
Oct 25, 2011 Don Bryant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: counseling
A great read for those struggling with a child far away from God. The rough and tumble of communication problems and the rawness of feelings are all there. Both the child far away and the parent seeking the child represent describe the struggle each step of the way. John Miller was a seminary prof who lived the deeper Christian life and knew how to express the life of Christ following in the midst of the mess of life.
Eric
Mar 11, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-reads
Great book. I gave it 5 stars but probably because of my season of life. It spoke to me as a father loving my daughters. The book is filled with the Gospel and also honest, repentant authors. Great read - highly recommend to anyone with adult children who have walked away from God or with young children.
Marie Alviz
Jul 09, 2009 Marie Alviz rated it it was amazing
Both Edgar and I read this book and more than anything else it gave us hope and reminded us of God's infinite mercy and grace. It is a story of teenage rebellion against God and family and each chapter gives both the father's perspective as well as the daughters.
Kristy
Oct 05, 2010 Kristy rated it did not like it
Ehh. I didn't care for it. I know the family thought they were doing what was best to love their daughter in the midst of her rebellion...but at some point there's also got to be some discipline. You can't allow something that's wrong, even in the name of love.
Debby
Oct 07, 2008 Debby rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Debby by: a friend
A true life story of a pastor's daugher who declared herself in rebellion and unbelief as a teen and how God worked not only in her life, but in the lives of her parents to teach the meaning of grace and unconditional love. Great book.
laura b. hollenbeck
Great

this book was great and very helpful in my life, opening my eyes to see where I need to give God control of my life. also gave me many new insights into my life. thank you Lord for this book.
Trish
Jul 31, 2012 Trish rated it it was amazing
Read it at a time when my soul was aching over one of my dear child's painful choices. I learned how to speak love to him through this book. I highly recommend it for those needing hope.
Gerald
Aug 12, 2011 Gerald rated it really liked it
Encouraging and engaging read for any believer with a broken heart to see someone they love fulfilled and content in Jesus.
Becky
Apr 13, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
I think this would be really encouraging for people who have wayward or rebellious children.
Brenda Huntsman
Oct 22, 2014 Brenda Huntsman rated it really liked it
An encouraging book reminding parents that God is in control.
Jason D McGrath
Jason D McGrath marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
D. Thomas
D. Thomas rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Ame_Lie62
Ame_Lie62 rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Joy
Joy added it
Jan 24, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Joy Fayard
Joy Fayard marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016