Start by marking “Happy Kid!” as Want to Read:
Happy Kid!

Happy Kid!

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  46 reviews
All cynical Kyle wants is to get through the seventh grade unnoticed, but a self-help book from his well-meaning mother changes all that. Magically, the book seems to know all about him. And it wants him to improve his life.

Not only is he friendless, mistakenly taking super-difficult accelerated courses, and infamous for allegedly being involved in a violent "incident" on

Published May 18th 2006 by Putnam Juvenile (first published December 31st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Kid!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Kid!

Dart and the Squirrels by Nicole IzmaylovDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninElias Zapple's Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch by Elias ZappleKnuffle Bunny by Mo Willems
Funny Books for Kids
130th out of 327 books — 317 voters
Happyface by Stephen EmondSmile by Raina TelgemeierGet Well Soon by Julie HalpernSisters by Raina TelgemeierHave a Nice Day by Julie Halpern
Smiley Face Covers
62nd out of 62 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Jun Park
Kyle, the main character, tries to survive his school year by following his mother’s directions. Kyle, shy and not talkative, is bribed by his whole family to talk and socialize with his friends, totally different from what Kyle was going to do over the year. He also has a crush on a girl named Chelsea, a blonde who goes to TaeKwonDo, with his friends. During these stressful adventures, he faces going to the office with Melissa to report a teacher who did something wrong, according to her.
This
Jamie
As annoying as it is to middle school kids, Mom’s sometimes worry about their kids. Imagine your Mom, in an effort to try to make you a happier person, bribes you (with money!!) to read a book called Happy Kid: a young person's guide to satisfying Relationships and a Happy Meaning-filled Life! I know, I know...I can hear the groans from kids already. Well, this happened to Kyle.

Kyle is an average kid just trying to make it through 7th grade at Bert P. Trotts Middle School. At the end of 6th grad
Nicanor
Gail Gauthier wrote Happy Kid that is the book I read. First Happy Kid is about a kid named Kyle who has had a bad life since a trouble in the 6th grade. Kyle receives a book named happy kid as a back to school present. Happy kid is a self - help book and Kyle is obviously not interesting in it but when his mother offers to pay him to read it, Kyle accepts. First Happy Kid has some weird fraises like: “ You’ll never form satisfying relationships if you only think of yourself and just take care o ...more
Teresa
Another winner by Gauthier. In this one, 8th grader Kyle is just trying to live down seventh grade, which ended with him being escorted through the school by a police officer, after a screwdriver (which he made in shop class) slipped out of his backpack and was mistaken for a weapon by his bus driver. Picture of his dad hugging him in the school parking lot (but not his name, of course, as if that would help save his reputation) in the school paper. The shop teacher got in trouble, and now the s ...more
84-The_enlightment_of_Doctor_Grace_part5_Jesus
Happy kid is about a kid named Kyle who has no friends. His mother buys him a book called Happy Kid. Everytime he opens the book, it stays on the same page until he does what the book tells him to do. It's almost like the Number 23, when the guy starts to act like the guy in the story. In the end Kyle get's his friend back and he learns a valuable lesson, sometimes the things you want are the things you aren't supposed to get. And sometimes in order to get what you want, you have to go out on a ...more
Brandy
Ever since the incident with the screwdriver at the end of sixth grade, Kyle has been living in his own pessimistic cloud. Concerned, his therapist mom gives him a self-help book and bribes him with a dollar for each chapter read. Kyle is surprised to find that the book tends to fall open to exactly the pages he needs--and even more surprised to find that the book's advice works. There's a chance that Kyle can reconnect with his old friends, make some new ones, and even redeem himself by doing t ...more
Fbooks75
Jan 02, 2009 Fbooks75 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Fbooks75 by: the Helan Roughin Reading Goal
Shelves: 6th-read
The book Happy Kid is about a boy named Kyle.Since an incident at the end of 6th grade he has been very negative.Not just about school,but every thing!His mom finds this book called Happy Kid and wants him to read it."I'm not readig that book",he said.What changed his mind was that his mom was going to give him a dollar every time he read a chapter in the book.At first he is just readig the book to get money.Then he relizes that the book is helping him be a "Happy Kid."
The author's purpose is
Zayd  Nubani
This book "Happy Kid" follows the path of Kyle a troubled Seventh grader who resents his sister, is always mad at his mother and his father is to tired to bother with him. In the beginning of the year Kyle's mother gives him a back to school present, but the present she gives Kyle is "Happy Kid" a self help book to make yourself a better person and gain more friends. Kyle becomes frustrated and resents the book and decides that he does not need friends he only needs himself. However Kyle's past ...more
Brandon O'Neill
The next book on the 7th grade list. I didn't like this one as much and unfortunately, I recommended it. It wasn't horrible, but, much like some elements in the book Wringer, there are unexplained events going on. In this one, a mom buys her middle school son a self help book called Happy Kid! To get him to read it, she will give him a dollar for every chapter he finishes. Something is up with the book, though. It will only open to certain passages that happen to match up with Kyle's life, and ...more
freaking crazy ninja man83
Oct 27, 2008 freaking crazy ninja man83 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my friend Nick
Happy Kid is about a boy named Kyle.Kyle is a pestimistic boy who wants to be ignored for his whole school year.The day before scool started his mom gave hime a book.Guess what,the name of the book is named HAPPY KID!.HAPPY KID! is a self help book that will try to help Kyle get through his year.
The book was great because it can relate to real tenage people.It was also good since it had some moments where Kyle gets into some trouble which happens alot.It was funny that sometimes the characters
travelmel
This is for my DD11 who is a reluctant reader. I'm looking for books that are funny but not too stupid. It's a tough call. She loved Blubber by Judy Blume and read it in 2-days... any suggestions appreciated!

I'm going to consider this read even though I didn't finish it. I tried but I kept keeping it passed the library due date! What I read of it was cute though and my kids also each read it and liked it. I hope to finish it someday. lol

Four stars for being funny. Might have been 5 if I finished
Devin Middleton
This book is about Kyle. Kyle takes the worst out of everything. On the day befor Kyle starts seventh grade his mom gives him a self help book. Kyle thinks is stupid. One day he reads and does what the book says. So the problemi is Kyle needs help makings and having a meaning full live. This problem is solved after Kyle reads the whole book.
The message is allways make the best out of things even if you don't want to.
Ryan
Happy kid is about a boy who now is just starting the 7th grade.In his family's mind he really struggles with day-to-day life,while in his own way its complicated on how to fit in with all the crowds.So his mother buys him a book called "happy kid" which sure didn't make him a happy kid,but his mother had a catch,For every chapter he reads he gets a dollar and each page is a chapter on life and how to deal with situations u may face in life.
Andrew Liu
This book is about a year 7 student called Kyle who seems to have a bad life, as he gets bullyed in his school. Also, that Kyle doesn't socialize, he has become friendless. Because of that, his mother gifted him a book. This book ends up being magical and helps him by giving advice depending on his situations. I personally enjoyed the whole storyline of this book and all the plots that Gail Gauthier has added into "Happy Kid!".
Jenny
Kyle just wants to lay low in 7th grade, after the "misunderstanding" involving a screwdriver and a state trooper in 6th grade. His mom is concerned about this negativity, so she buys him a self help book called Happy Kid! Kyle gets her to pay him a dollar for each chapter he reads. Somehow, he finds himself reading passages that offer advice to complicate, not simplify, his life. But Kyle may become a happy kid yet!
Katie
This book is a bout a kid that has no friend in school and his mom found him a book called happy kid and he get a doller ever time he read a chapter and he wasn't gong to do it but them his sister said he was crazy read 7 chapters a week and get dobble his allowens and her sister said shell do it and than he said no he'll slit and now he's read ing the hole book
Tina
Aug 23, 2008 Tina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tina by: YA readers
"I'll pay you a dollar for every chapter you read." I have said the same thing to my kids!

Kyle's mom buys him a back-to-school present - a self-help book. As Kyle actually begins to read it he discovers that the book falls open to certain pages - actually the subject or problem he needs to work on.
Great story about and eighth grade boy and his friends.
Tweller83
Boy gets the book Happy Kid from his mom because it just "screamed" his name. It only opens to the chapters that seem to apply to his situation and life at the time. The book will continue to open to that same chapter until he either learns that lesson or goes through the experience. Great read that I would recommend for all students.
Adele
This was actually a really good book. One of the best I've read. It's about a kid who's mother gets him a magical book that has a different message each day. He learns what is right and wrong and how he can fix up his life. The book's messages tie in with the story really well. Its pretty interesting to see what the book has to say next.
Mikael
I've been giving a lot of 5 stars lately but I guess that my choice in books have just been 5 stars.
This was a great book and has won awards for a reason.

What would you do if you found a book that helped you in life? That's what happens to Kyle but will Happy Kid make life harder for him?
Mackenzey Rae
I just read this book Happy Kid by Gail Gauthier, but it wasn't very good. The dialogue isn't interesting, and neither is the main character Kyle. The whole book is about a magical self-help book. Not very exciting is it. I would not recommend this book to anybody, ever.
Robin
This is a Bookworms book, selected because it is a Georgia Book Nominee for this year. Although not the most steller GA nominee ever, it is very typical middle school, and the Worms seemed to enjoy it for the most part.
Johanna
If you liked "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" you will definitely like this book. It has more of a storyline unlike "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" ,but has the same humor and stupidity( if you know what imean by that).
Bobbyjamla
Not the best book. its a book to read if you have no friends. actually pretty boring. The only reason i finished is because i had to read for school and had nothing else. the rating really tells it all!
Someone Called Abi
This is, arguably, the weirdest book I have ever read. It was well written-ish, I guess, but it was just soooo weird! I don't even have a good reason, it just was really weird...
Miss Manekofsky
I laughed a lot while reading this book! The main character is charming and his out look on his life is hilarious. One of my favorites that I have read of the nominees so far.
Ann
Sep 17, 2010 Ann added it
Shelves: 2006, contemporary
Ages 9+

A perpetually negative 7th grader is given a self-help book that always seems to give the right advice at the right time.
Cecilia
PLEASE do not waste your time reading this. It sounds like it was written by a purple monkey with a typewriter. Enough said.
Christian Colin
it started kind of good but then it started off not making sense i didnt like it that much
Tifinie
this book is funny. in such a young age of the character he seem to has alot of problems
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • How I Found the Strong
  • Donuthead
  • The Long Walk Home
  • Trial by Journal
Gail Gauthier has written eight books for children. She also writes about children's books and writing at her blog Original Content.
More about Gail Gauthier...
The Hero of Ticonderoga Saving The Planet & Stuff A Year with Butch and Spike A Girl, a Boy, and a Monster Cat My Life among the Aliens