Start by marking “Happy Kid!” as Want to Read:

Happy Kid!
Published May 18th 2006 by Putnam Juvenile (first published December 31st 2005)

Teresa
Another winner by Gauthier. In this one, 8th grader Kyle is just trying to live down seventh grade, which ended with him being escorted through the school by a police officer, after a screwdriver (which he made in shop class) slipped out of his backpack and was mistaken for a weapon by his bus driver. Picture of his dad hugging him in the school parking lot (but not his name, of course, as if that would help save his reputation) in the school paper. The shop teacher got in trouble, and now the s ...more
Jamie
Dec 30, 2009 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween-books
As annoying as it is to middle school kids, Mom’s sometimes worry about their kids. Imagine your Mom, in an effort to try to make you a happier person, bribes you (with money!!) to read a book called Happy Kid: a young person's guide to satisfying Relationships and a Happy Meaning-filled Life! I know, I know...I can hear the groans from kids already. Well, this happened to Kyle.

Kyle is an average kid just trying to make it through 7th grade at Bert P. Trotts Middle School. At the end of 6th grad
Jun Park
Nov 29, 2014 Jun Park rated it really liked it
Kyle, the main character, tries to survive his school year by following his mother’s directions. Kyle, shy and not talkative, is bribed by his whole family to talk and socialize with his friends, totally different from what Kyle was going to do over the year. He also has a crush on a girl named Chelsea, a blonde who goes to TaeKwonDo, with his friends. During these stressful adventures, he faces going to the office with Melissa to report a teacher who did something wrong, according to her.
This
Nicanor
Mar 08, 2009 Nicanor rated it really liked it
Gail Gauthier wrote Happy Kid that is the book I read. First Happy Kid is about a kid named Kyle who has had a bad life since a trouble in the 6th grade. Kyle receives a book named happy kid as a back to school present. Happy kid is a self - help book and Kyle is obviously not interesting in it but when his mother offers to pay him to read it, Kyle accepts. First Happy Kid has some weird fraises like: “ You’ll never form satisfying relationships if you only think of yourself and just take care o ...more
84-The_enlightment_of_Doctor_Grace_part5_Jesus
Happy kid is about a kid named Kyle who has no friends. His mother buys him a book called Happy Kid. Everytime he opens the book, it stays on the same page until he does what the book tells him to do. It's almost like the Number 23, when the guy starts to act like the guy in the story. In the end Kyle get's his friend back and he learns a valuable lesson, sometimes the things you want are the things you aren't supposed to get. And sometimes in order to get what you want, you have to go out on a ...more
Brandy
Ever since the incident with the screwdriver at the end of sixth grade, Kyle has been living in his own pessimistic cloud. Concerned, his therapist mom gives him a self-help book and bribes him with a dollar for each chapter read. Kyle is surprised to find that the book tends to fall open to exactly the pages he needs--and even more surprised to find that the book's advice works. There's a chance that Kyle can reconnect with his old friends, make some new ones, and even redeem himself by doing t ...more
Mackenzey Rae
Oct 14, 2013 Mackenzey Rae rated it did not like it
I just read this book Happy Kid by Gail Gauthier, but it wasn't very good. The dialogue isn't interesting, and neither is the main character Kyle. The whole book is about a magical self-help book. Not very exciting is it. I would not recommend this book to anybody, ever.
Brandon O'Neill
Apr 13, 2011 Brandon O'Neill rated it liked it
Shelves: youthlit
The next book on the 7th grade list. I didn't like this one as much and unfortunately, I recommended it. It wasn't horrible, but, much like some elements in the book Wringer, there are unexplained events going on. In this one, a mom buys her middle school son a self help book called Happy Kid! To get him to read it, she will give him a dollar for every chapter he finishes. Something is up with the book, though. It will only open to certain passages that happen to match up with Kyle's life, and ...more
Zayd  Nubani
Jan 14, 2013 Zayd Nubani rated it liked it
This book "Happy Kid" follows the path of Kyle a troubled Seventh grader who resents his sister, is always mad at his mother and his father is to tired to bother with him. In the beginning of the year Kyle's mother gives him a back to school present, but the present she gives Kyle is "Happy Kid" a self help book to make yourself a better person and gain more friends. Kyle becomes frustrated and resents the book and decides that he does not need friends he only needs himself. However Kyle's past ...more
Fbooks75
Oct 20, 2008 Fbooks75 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Fbooks75 by: the Helan Roughin Reading Goal
Shelves: 6th-read
The book Happy Kid is about a boy named Kyle.Since an incident at the end of 6th grade he has been very negative.Not just about school,but every thing!His mom finds this book called Happy Kid and wants him to read it."I'm not readig that book",he said.What changed his mind was that his mom was going to give him a dollar every time he read a chapter in the book.At first he is just readig the book to get money.Then he relizes that the book is helping him be a "Happy Kid."
The author's purpose is
travelmel
May 06, 2009 travelmel rated it really liked it
This is for my DD11 who is a reluctant reader. I'm looking for books that are funny but not too stupid. It's a tough call. She loved Blubber by Judy Blume and read it in 2-days... any suggestions appreciated!

I'm going to consider this read even though I didn't finish it. I tried but I kept keeping it passed the library due date! What I read of it was cute though and my kids also each read it and liked it. I hope to finish it someday. lol

Four stars for being funny. Might have been 5 if I finished
freaking crazy ninja man83
Oct 27, 2008 freaking crazy ninja man83 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my friend Nick
Happy Kid is about a boy named Kyle.Kyle is a pestimistic boy who wants to be ignored for his whole school year.The day before scool started his mom gave hime a book.Guess what,the name of the book is named HAPPY KID!.HAPPY KID! is a self help book that will try to help Kyle get through his year.
The book was great because it can relate to real tenage people.It was also good since it had some moments where Kyle gets into some trouble which happens alot.It was funny that sometimes the characters
Jenny
Aug 29, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, realistic
Kyle just wants to lay low in 7th grade, after the "misunderstanding" involving a screwdriver and a state trooper in 6th grade. His mom is concerned about this negativity, so she buys him a self help book called Happy Kid! Kyle gets her to pay him a dollar for each chapter he reads. Somehow, he finds himself reading passages that offer advice to complicate, not simplify, his life. But Kyle may become a happy kid yet!
Devin Middleton
Oct 17, 2008 Devin Middleton rated it it was amazing
This book is about Kyle. Kyle takes the worst out of everything. On the day befor Kyle starts seventh grade his mom gives him a self help book. Kyle thinks is stupid. One day he reads and does what the book says. So the problemi is Kyle needs help makings and having a meaning full live. This problem is solved after Kyle reads the whole book.
The message is allways make the best out of things even if you don't want to.
Andrew Liu
Mar 11, 2013 Andrew Liu rated it really liked it
This book is about a year 7 student called Kyle who seems to have a bad life, as he gets bullyed in his school. Also, that Kyle doesn't socialize, he has become friendless. Because of that, his mother gifted him a book. This book ends up being magical and helps him by giving advice depending on his situations. I personally enjoyed the whole storyline of this book and all the plots that Gail Gauthier has added into "Happy Kid!".
Ryan
Mar 08, 2011 Ryan rated it really liked it
Happy kid is about a boy who now is just starting the 7th grade.In his family's mind he really struggles with day-to-day life,while in his own way its complicated on how to fit in with all the crowds.So his mother buys him a book called "happy kid" which sure didn't make him a happy kid,but his mother had a catch,For every chapter he reads he gets a dollar and each page is a chapter on life and how to deal with situations u may face in life.
Katie
May 18, 2011 Katie rated it liked it
This book is a bout a kid that has no friend in school and his mom found him a book called happy kid and he get a doller ever time he read a chapter and he wasn't gong to do it but them his sister said he was crazy read 7 chapters a week and get dobble his allowens and her sister said shell do it and than he said no he'll slit and now he's read ing the hole book
Adele
Jul 16, 2008 Adele rated it it was amazing
This was actually a really good book. One of the best I've read. It's about a kid who's mother gets him a magical book that has a different message each day. He learns what is right and wrong and how he can fix up his life. The book's messages tie in with the story really well. Its pretty interesting to see what the book has to say next.
Lilly C.
Sep 17, 2015 Lilly C. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow, when can you read a book, that you seriously can't stop? The story line, characters, everything was spot on, hitting every goal a writer should have. It drew me in from the start, to the finish. Now, I am passing you on the knowledge of this book(you will understand if you read the book). I would recommend this book to any 5-7th grade student.
Tweller83
Apr 11, 2010 Tweller83 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Boy gets the book Happy Kid from his mom because it just "screamed" his name. It only opens to the chapters that seem to apply to his situation and life at the time. The book will continue to open to that same chapter until he either learns that lesson or goes through the experience. Great read that I would recommend for all students.
Tina
Aug 17, 2008 Tina rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tina by: YA readers
"I'll pay you a dollar for every chapter you read." I have said the same thing to my kids!

Kyle's mom buys him a back-to-school present - a self-help book. As Kyle actually begins to read it he discovers that the book falls open to certain pages - actually the subject or problem he needs to work on.
Great story about and eighth grade boy and his friends.
Mikael
Oct 10, 2008 Mikael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-changing
I've been giving a lot of 5 stars lately but I guess that my choice in books have just been 5 stars.
This was a great book and has won awards for a reason.

What would you do if you found a book that helped you in life? That's what happens to Kyle but will Happy Kid make life harder for him?
Johanna
Jul 21, 2009 Johanna rated it liked it
If you liked "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" you will definitely like this book. It has more of a storyline unlike "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" ,but has the same humor and stupidity( if you know what imean by that).
Ryker
Nov 15, 2011 Ryker rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Not the best book. its a book to read if you have no friends. actually pretty boring. The only reason i finished is because i had to read for school and had nothing else. the rating really tells it all!
Robin
Jan 03, 2009 Robin rated it liked it
This is a Bookworms book, selected because it is a Georgia Book Nominee for this year. Although not the most steller GA nominee ever, it is very typical middle school, and the Worms seemed to enjoy it for the most part.
Cecilia
Mar 15, 2009 Cecilia rated it did not like it
PLEASE do not waste your time reading this. It sounds like it was written by a purple monkey with a typewriter. Enough said.
Miss Manekofsky
I laughed a lot while reading this book! The main character is charming and his out look on his life is hilarious. One of my favorites that I have read of the nominees so far.
Alaska
Jul 26, 2010 Alaska rated it it was ok
Don't always be a downer.
Someone Called Abi
Nov 10, 2008 Someone Called Abi rated it it was ok
This is, arguably, the weirdest book I have ever read. It was well written-ish, I guess, but it was just soooo weird! I don't even have a good reason, it just was really weird...
Ann
Sep 17, 2010 Ann added it
Shelves: contemporary, 2006
Ages 9+

A perpetually negative 7th grader is given a self-help book that always seems to give the right advice at the right time.
2nd reading log entry 3 4 Jan 05, 2012 04:05AM
  • More Than Friends
  • Whisper in the Dark
  • How Angel Peterson Got His Name
  • Do Not Pass Go
  • Way Down Deep (Way Down Deep, #1)
  • Notes from a Liar and Her Dog
  • Dogboy (Brind, #1)
  • Greetings from Planet Earth
  • Swimming Upstream: Middle School Poems
  • The Hand You're Dealt
  • Letters from Rapunzel
  • The Adventures of Beanboy (Beanboy #1)
Gail Gauthier has written eight books for children. She also writes about children's books and writing at her blog Original Content.
More about Gail Gauthier...