Start by marking “The Regime: Evil Advances (Before They Were Left Behind #2)” as Want to Read:
The Regime: Evil Advances (Before They Were Left Behind #2)

The Regime: Evil Advances (Before They Were Left Behind #2)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  3,413 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
This second prequel continues the story of the rise of the Antichrist and the journey of the other main characters as, unknown to them, time hurtles toward the Rapture.

Readers will want every possible soul saved to avoid the seven-year Tribulation, and they will see why characters such as Rayford, Chloe, and Buck fail to believe.

Events in Israel will be heating up, and s
Published October 26th 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Regime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Regime

Bonny
Jul 27, 2008 Bonny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the left behind series, but I did not really like this book. It is a prequel of happenings before they were left behind in the rapture. I read it years after reading the series and I don't think it contributed anything new. I didn't relate to the characters.
Damon Gerber
Mar 15, 2013 Damon Gerber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this book, and it was really interesting. There are three books in this series; The Rising,The Regime,and one other one. This book is about the characters in the Left Behind Series. These books focus on them and their lives before they were left behind. This book specifically talks about the Antichrist rising up through the Romanian government and him developing relationships with other heads of states, paving his path to total rule. I found this series, so far, very inte ...more
Dawn
Dec 29, 2014 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

The Left Behind books are an excellent story of something that hadn't happened yet. I recommend everyone read these books.
Matt Clooney
Feb 14, 2011 Matt Clooney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Been trying to finish this one for a WHILE now - just because I read the original 12 on a dare - but it's just so HORRIBLE I'm having trouble getting through more than 3 pages at a time

Update: After a full year of torturing myself with this book by reading a few pages every week or so when I could stomach it, I finally finished. My recommendation: Stay away from this book... FAR, FAR away... I will not be reading another prequel or the added sequel... I'd sooner use them as a fire-starter.
Andrea
Crystal Starr Light
I credit my mom with getting me interested in this series. I have been hanging on since the beginning and have loved most of it (with the major exception of the terrible Glorious Appearing). So, when the prequels arrived, I plunged in.

Plot:
Nicolae Carpathia rises to power in Romania, Cameron Williams begins his career as a journalist, and Rayford's family is stretched to the breaking point when his wife converts to Christianity. Also, we get to see characters like Abdullah and Leon Fortunato.

Goo
Amanda
Nov 17, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can honestly say that I enjoyed reading this book much better than its predecessor, "The Rising." The quality of writing was better -- for the most part, anyway. The characters also seemed a bit more realistic.

However, my main issue with this book is its over-the-top religiosity. Yes, I know, this is a Christian series. I too am a Christian, and I can appreciate Christ-centered literature. But there comes a point when even Christians roll their eyes -- and I did quite a bit of eye rolling thro
Pamela Hubbard
I think the only reason I keep reading these is because I've already invested too much in the series and have to see it through. In the second book of the prequel trilogy, we continue to follow the lives of the two main characters, Rayford Steele and Nicolae Carpathia. We deal with Rayford's struggle with his wife's faith and Nicolae's quest to world domination. We are also introduced to new characters who will play a larger role in the main series, such as Cameron Williams, Abdullah, Chaim Rose ...more
Tara Lee
Oct 18, 2011 Tara Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Left Behind series. So I was excited when I heard about the Before They Were Left Behind series. It's been years since I read the first book in the series, The Rise. No matter where I looked I could not find this book. Anywhere. Let's hear it for my good old library for having a copy.

That being said, there were a LOT of parts of this book that I skimmed over or skipped altogether. It switched between sections detailing Rayford Steele, Cameron "Buck" Williams, Irene Steele, Abdullah
Mar 05, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd have to agree with the customer reviews on Amazon and say that The Regime is slightly better than it's predecessor, The Rising which mainly followed the conspiracy surrounding Nicolae Carpathia's birth (and also the early life of Rayford Steele). The Regime, on the other hand, follows the lives most of the main characters from the Left Behind series, showing what circumstances in life led them to not choose God.

Like all the other books in the the Left Behind series, The Regime was a quick re
Valerie
Mar 18, 2013 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was worth reading; the prequel should have started here. It gave the background to questions the 'Left Behind' series raised. The reader was exposed to Irene, getting to know her like I had wanted to. You found why Chloe became so much like Rayford and about Buck's rise to fame. In a prior review I mentioned not knowing why Carpathia acted as he did, and this helped to understand his impatience, petulance, and to see how it is his true character. Looking back on the series, it helped t ...more
Austin
Mar 25, 2011 Austin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author, Tim LaHaye, did a great job of setting the series up so that the second book can describe what happened before the first book. I love it when authors do this because it ties a lot of strings together and make you respect the series more and more as a whole. In this book, Nicolae forms his bad side. And it only goes down from here. But not only does he become more evil, but he also cheats. It just happens that everyone who is against his just starts to disappear. And with all of his o ...more
Heidi
Nov 04, 2014 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome to read the prequels after reading the rest of the series. Neat to find out how different characters became connected and how they came to have certain roles. We get to know more about the whole Steele family, Hattie, Buck Williams and some of his co-workers and associates like Lucinda and Steve Plank, Abdullah Smith and his family, Chaim Rosenzweig, Leon Fortunato, Viv Ivins, and of course.... Nicolae. This one left me hanging again so I have no choice but to read the next one right awa ...more
Erica
Apr 01, 2015 Erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowing, 2015
Book #2 Quick read. You delve deeper into the transformation of the antichrist. You see Nicolae become increasingly greedy for wealth, power, and success (always at the expense of others). You find yourself actually feeling sorry for Viv. My heart breaks for Irene and how the Steel family is quickly falling apart as well as Smitty's. Felt this novel was repetitive in nature both from the previous book as well as the original series.

Terri
Jun 27, 2015 Terri rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual, series, 2015
This is the second prequel to the Left Behind series and I liked this one much more than the first I read. I'm still trying to decide the best order to read these books: if maybe the prequels should be read before the series? Since I'm not sure, I'll likely read through the entire series again (soon) but this time, in chronological order.
TheInnovativeMama
I've always enjoyed this series but this book was hard to read. The constant bickering between Irene, Ray and Chloe got OLD. I had to force myself to get through it and it only felt interesting at the very end. I feel like this book was unnecessary in the telling of the prequel stories. It was a filler book and a lot of fluff. Not my favorite in this series.
Joe Ann
Apr 24, 2016 Joe Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Left Behind is still the best among this series but we can still relate to the characters especially on how many times God call us but we refuse His calling. We must only open our hearts to Him and let Him enter. He is always with us, forever and ever.
Kristie
Feb 20, 2015 Kristie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Have read all the Left Behind Series and can't get enough. Now that they are on the kindle it's even bettr. Just finished the 3 prequels, so I will reread the rest of the series.
Dr.
Oct 11, 2014 Dr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Avery dear friend (Tim LaHaye's) son-in-law) got me started on the Left Behind books -often reading the manuscripts before publication. I have read them years ago, and now rereading them. I believe the time is near - are you ready?
Kathleen Meacham
Not nearly as entertaining as the 1st and 3rd installments of this series. It is unlikely for me to read books out of sequence, but for some reason I did, so maybe that had something to do with how I feel about The Regime. This one was certainly less "freaky" than the others. I found that the relationship between Nicolae and Leon did not seem to be portrayed in quite the same way as it is in all of the other books (book 3 of this series and the regular Left Behind series).
Aleina
Feb 25, 2016 Aleina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
They did have more about Buck!! Yes!! Even Chloe's rebelliious years and Abdullah's life were put in here...all the while, Carpathia's rise to power has a steady pace. Amazing as always, though there were a lot of points I was zoning out on. Can't wait to read the next as always!
Eric
Nov 20, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Eric by: sport875@yahoo.com
This is the second official book of this series. This book talks about the events that happened before the first original book one. In this book, Nicolae starts to develop his evil side. The people that oppose him "disappear" and he is cheating his way up to the top and to achieve his goals. Rayford's life is getting worse as well as him and his wife are having an argument about her growing interest in Christianity. He is also trying to develop a new relationship with a flight attendant he works ...more
Jessica
Super short book. Quick to switch subjects.. I'm glad I'm reading the prequels before the actual series, but this one seemed to be an AFTER after thought. Hope the next one is better!
Ms. A.
May 19, 2013 Ms. A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The character development in this book is marvelous, but somewhat problematic as this prequel doesn't necessarily develop the characters from the original series. Chloe is a bit more rebellious that, Rayford is much more desperate and his relationship with Hattie much deeper, Buck has an arrogance not present in the originals, and Carpathia is more evil, earlier, than the original series depicts. That leaves this book feeling like a standalone. In fact, this book likely wasn't necessary. I suspe ...more
Crystal Redington
tim lahaye and jerry b jenkens did a a good job on the regime! they keep the reader guessing on what gonna happen next and also surprises turn up in every corner! if you like thrilling stories read the left behind series
Komal
Jun 14, 2011 Komal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saturday, June 04, 2011: Haven't started reading it yet, just got it on the Nook to read at work and during the week. I hope it gets good fast!

Sunday, June 12, 2011: Finally got a chance to sit down and read! More than halfway done and already I can't wait for this book to be over. I don't mind references to the bible, but when it happens in almost EVERY chapter, it's a little much and for some reason bothers me.

Monday, June 13, 2011: ALMOST DONE! 13 pages to go! 2:45 can't come sooner when I g
Mark
Aug 17, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a more engaging story than the preceding novel, The Rising. Real linkages are being made between the story within and the main series. That being said, the writing was often just OK, and the book suffered from a few problems:

- A lot of repetitiveness
- Cheesy dialogue (especially between members of the Steele family)
- Several melodramatic sub-plots
- Predictable outcomes to many of the plot points
- Characters who, at times, can be over-the-top annoying or obnoxious

Overall, it's a worthw
Angela Dawn
This one is about how the world starts turning to make way for the antichrist to take his place. A lot of stories of people coming to know Jesus!!!
Liz Endecott
Jan 11, 2015 Liz Endecott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book before starting the series which I think was very helpful to have. This book explains the backgrounds of all the characters.
Joy Schmidt
Jun 25, 2016 Joy Schmidt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting book in the prequel to the Left Behind series. Characters are developed more.
Glad I read the series before the prequels 1 7 Jan 30, 2014 03:03PM
  • Silenced: The Wrath of God Descends (Underground Zealot, #2)
  • Apocalypse Burning: The Earth's Last Days: The Battle Lines Are Drawn (Left Behind: Apocalypse, #3)
  • Impeachable Offense (Left Behind Political #2)
Timothy "Tim" F. LaHaye was an American evangelical Christian minister, author, and speaker, best known for the Left Behind series of apocalyptic fiction, which he co-wrote with Jerry B. Jenkins.

He has written over 50 books, both fiction and non-fiction.
More about Tim LaHaye...

Before They Were Left Behind (3 books)
  • The Rising: Antichrist is Born  (Before They Were Left Behind, #1)
  • The Rapture: In the Twinkling of an Eye   (Before They Were Left Behind, #3)

“Don’t be defeated by one defeat.” 2 likes
“Jesus says: ‘Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in.” 0 likes