Start by marking “Still I Rise: A Graphic History of African Americans” as Want to Read:
Still I Rise: A Graphic History of African Americans

Still I Rise: A Graphic History of African Americans

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Still I Rise is a critically acclaimed work with an impressive scope: the entire history of Black America, told in an accessible graphic-novel form. Updated from its original version—which ended with the Million Man March—it now extends from the early days of colonial slavery right through to Barack Obama’s groundbreaking presidential campaign. Compared by many to Art Spie ...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Still I Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still I Rise

The Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonPride of Baghdad by Brian K. VaughanMaus, I by Art Spiegelman
History through graphic novels
66th out of 271 books — 185 voters
Buck by M.K. AsanteOur America by LeAlan JonesThe Boondocks by Aaron McGruderThe Color Purple by Alice WalkerCharlotte's Web by E.B. White
ELA Top 20 Challenge
6th out of 20 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Ladyiconoclast
I was recommended this book because of its introduction, which is a cursory history of African American comics and comic creators, do read the introduction if this subject interests you.

I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in African American history, but not much background in the subject. This is not a all encompassing history, but in my ignorance of the full breadth of the subject, this felt like a good overview.

A good comic history on a subject that needs less
Mariah
I feel horrible to say this but this was probably the worst book I've read since the dictionary. It was dry and boring. For a quick summery it literally takes you through the African-American history of them being enslaved here in American and shipped, the transition from indentured servants to slaves. Then onto the liberation of slaves that lead to the segregation that was followed up by the fight for equality. Then obviously coming full circle back to the present day with Obama being the first ...more
Meg Petersen
I would recommend this to every teacher I know and I am passing it on to my children. The beginning part of the book is really excellent. The perspective is definitely African American, and helps students see how slavery evolved. It is especially good at showing the resistance to slavery and contextualizing the Civil War as part of an on-going history of resistance.
The ending, however, was rushed. I wish more recent times could have been covered more thoroughly. Obama's campaign and eventual el
Luke
Still I Rise was an interesting concept for a book but not well executed. It had a lot of good information and I learned a lot about African-American history but it was a graphic novel that was obviously written by someone who doesn't do graphic novels. A good graphic novel you should be able to get the gist from just looking at the pictures, here, it was pretty much only people standing at the bottom of a panel with their mouths open and titanic blocks of text. It took me about five minutes to ...more
Jesse
kinda weirdly capitalist, but easy read and informative. good to refer folks without previous education on black history & movements.
Lauren
I enjoyed this book. The graphic novel format allows the reader to swallow history. I like that the book high-lights African American History by not only including notable historical figures but also introducing the audience to new strong figures.

My only complaint is that for a Graphic History there is quite a bit of slanted telling. The two narrators do an excellent job of balancing views and content. There are just a few comments that slide in that I felt were unnecessary.

Overall, this is an
Laura Graves
I love graphic novels. I love having visual representations, so I’m always excited about reading graphic novels and finding more interesting way to experience topics like history. Still I Rise is the history of African Americans, presented in a graphic format. Though it wasn’t always the most engaging or well-crafted read, I certainly learned a good deal from it.

The novel starts off explaining the reasons the first black slaves were brought to the U.S. From there a very detailed tale of how Afri
Lashawn
Very interesting to read. Two "elders", man and woman, tell the history of African Americans from slavery to modern times in graphic novel form. I liked how the elders sometimes bickered with each other as they told the story, and thus illustrating that there are differing opinions on what happened in history. It was also interesting to see that there is no clear-cut absolutes. Wealthy white slaveowners were depicted as greedy pigs, but some were also portrayed sympathetically. Black people were ...more
Mocha Girl
Still I Rise is a graphical novel (aka "comic strip" style) structured around the history of America and the complex, interwoven African American contributions and sacrifices to its success and greatness. Two unnamed characters remain prominent serving as narrators providing supplemental commentaries setting the stage of the eras' social and political climates enhancing the history lessons within the pages. Opening in pre-Colonial times, it traces the events and issues surrounding indentured ser ...more
Valerie
Very good for what it is and the space it has for an introductory piece - unfortunately, although it is dense, it doesn't good much into detail about a lot of things/I felt a lot was missing. To be fair though, it would have been basically impossible to include everything.
OOSA
A Horse of a Different Color

"Still I Rise: A Graphic History of African Americans" aims high, and does everything right! It's a moving, entertaining and informative experience. It is unique in that it doesn't just focus on African American males and their achievements, but also focuses on women. In addition, it highlighted many others significant in the historical struggle that many may not be aware of. "Still I Rise" is well appreciated, outstanding and exciting. I felt like I was reading an ep
Teddy
Feb 27, 2009 Teddy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in American History and African American History
Shelves: read-in-2009
A Graphic History

'Still I rise' is a graphic history book about the struggles, heroic, and triumphant history of African Americans. It mentions all of the largely known history but it also tells of more little known facts and of important people who helped shape how America is today.

Something I certainly didn't learn in my school history books was that of indentured servitude which lead to slavery. I didn't enjoy my history classes back in grammar school or high school because the text books w
Amanda
I had high expectations for this book and unfortunately Still I Rise: A Graphic History of African Americans just didnt do it for me. Although I appreciated how much research was presented, I didn't like how information was presented. The history is told by two unnamed elders. The two characters don't develop at all throughout the entire book, making for a really bland narration. There may as well have been no narration at all and have strictly facts. Following along with such a rich and heart w ...more
Emilia P
This was a lot denser and had a lot more new and interesting information than I was expecting. You can really phone something like this in for graphic novel publication purposes, and this did not do that one bit. It's on the indie history side so sort of zine-y in illustration quality, production value, hard and fast and super-documented research and so on. But it's super-dedicated to its mission and I was pretty wowed. Also it was pretty hard on Dubois and his Talented Tenth, which I feel is th ...more
Will
A really quite good non-fiction comic book outlining the horrible struggle and slowly gained triumphs/acceptance of African Americans. I really appreciated the two narrators who didn't always agree and took opposing sides on certain arguments. It added a real depth in contrast to most of the whitey history books that tell a tale of complete agreement in not only how events unfolded, but also a simple-minded "these are good guys doing the right thing and these are the bad guys doing the wrong thi ...more
Lyf
The history of the African American people is a fascinating one. And the authors here did a great job of distilling the important information into easy to digest chunks. The artwork is great too. My one, not complaint per se, but an area where I think they could have done better is to allow some pictures to tell stories without any words. Some panels are just way tooooo cluttered.

If the history of the Black people in the USA interests you in any way, then I highly recommend this graphic novel!
Paul
I give the historical content four stars, but the art by Elihu Bey gets one star and brings the overall rating way down.

The drawings are never better than serviceable, and some pages/panels are just horrendous (like the depiction of the Harlem Renaissance on page 160: It's a bunch of people in hats walking around in front of geometric shapes that are supposed to be a lively Harlem street). I like to draw myself, so I respect Bey's effort, but the material was clearly beyond him.
Ryan Miller
Roland Laird has created a wonderful examination of African-American history, using short, graphic vignettes to chronicle the individual and institutional racism that has been one of the bedrocks of our nation. Because of the format, the art, and Laird's narrative style, this history may be accessible to some racism naysayers in ways that other texts are not.
Kirsten
This is a graphic novel depicting the history of African Americans from early colonial days to the present. Incredible format and packed with information. Really fascinating. The end gets a little scattered and loses focuses, but overall, this is a really great read.
Lisa
So far this book is wonderful. I'm going to talk it up to some of the teens I work with. They could learn a lot, and enjoy doing it! This is excellent - it should be required reading in history classes in high school, but probably more likely college.
Linda
Moving, entertaining, and occasionally graphically beautiful look at African American history. Like other reviewers, I found the ending a bit rushed, but I appreciated the nuanced portrayal of the viewpoints of controversial historical figures.
Julia
A graphic “novel” (What is a graphic novel called that is not a novel?) depicting and in words the history of African Americans from 1618 to the election of Barack Obama. It’s an impressive feat.
S
Just finished this great graphic novel about African-American history... from about the 1600's til now. Highly recommended, a balanced look at United States' lovely history.
Zier Mccollum
Nov 22, 2011 Zier Mccollum is currently reading it
still i rise is a
graphic novel that sends a strong message about how african americans lived through the tough times of slavery and have prevailed over the years.
Richard
This comics-history of African Americans is remarkable for its depth and scope. Unfortunately no one involved seems to know anything at all about comics or cartooning.
Peacegal
Great historical information that will keep readers intrigued. The quality and style of the illustrations, however, are very inconsistent and oftentimes just plain bad.
I found this a less than objective view of things. I also found that the 20th century was dealt with far too quickly.
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Pebbles
Pebbles marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • The 9/11 Report
  • Incognegro
  • Two Cents Plain: My Brooklyn Boyhood
  • A Dangerous Woman: The Graphic Biography of Emma Goldman
  • Fist Stick Knife Gun: A Personal History of Violence, A True Story in Black and White
  • The Sons of Liberty #1