Start by marking “Degas and the Little Dancer (Anholt's Artists)” as Want to Read:
Degas and the Little Dancer (Anholt's Artists)

Degas and the Little Dancer (Anholt's Artists)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The life and art of Degas are seen through the eyes of a child.
Published August 20th 2007 by Frances Lincoln Ltd (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Degas and the Little Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Degas and the Little Dancer

Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀
If you or your child is an art lover Degas and the Little Dancer by Laurence Anholt is for you. I purchased this to use in my classroom years ago back in 1999. Never in my wildest dreams did I allow myself to believe I would one day read this to my son or daughter, but I just did. And the most amazing thing is that my daughter picked this out of a stack of books for me to read her. My daughter is only two, so the story is a bit wordy for her, but again the amazing thing is that she loved it. The ...more
Dolly
Mar 17, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several of the books in Laurence Anholt's series on artists. He features many of the most popular artists of the nineteenth century and condenses their life stories and famous works of art into a short tale that will entertain and inform children.

I love that he doesn't just offer a biographical sketch, but instead weaves a tale that will keep a child engaged. His illustrations have a unique style and seem to fit in perfectly with the age of the story. Also, I love how he incorporates
Karen
This was the first book about an artist by Laurence Anholt that I read -- many years ago, long before I had a child for whom to build a library. I loved this book the first time I read it, and when I re-read it recently, I still love it, so I bought it.

Now that I have a collection of Anholt's artist books, I can appreciate how the pictures are illustrated in the style of his subject. Since he has written many books about artist, Laurence Anholt must be a gifted and versatile artist himself. It i
Cruth
Author/Illustrator: Laurence Anholt
First Published: 1996

How do you make Art accessible to children? Tell them stories about the artist, his subject, or the World around them.

And that's what Anholt does so well.

In his story of Degas, Anholt takes a single piece Little Dancer of Fourteen Years and weaves a factional story of Marie van Goethem.

from wikimedia

Anholt engages his readers in the story of a wannabe ballerina who, while unable to continue her studies due to financial restraints, becomes t
Amelia
Degas and the Little Dancer shares the true story of a young dancer, Marie, who worked as a model for the artist Degas in order to pay for her dance classes. It is an honest story that shows Degas for the artist and man he truly was and how he worked with his models. The story includes times of stress and happiness for Marie as she continues her time with Degas and eventually becomes the inspiration for one of his most famous sculptures.

The illustrations in this story are cartoon-like, helping i
Jessica
We have read this book several times now and each time my girls are always enthralled by the story, they love seeing the prints of the paintings that Degas did. I must say that the dancer series is one of my favorites. The story of the little dancer sculpture is one of great interest to many people. The peek into history and some of the eccentricities of Degas's personality is compelling, yet always age appropriate.

We have several books from this series and enjoy them. My oldest asked if we cou
Sophia
I really like this author's books! I like learning about the different artists.
Susan
Beautiful mix of artwork and photos of original sculpture as usual for this author/illustrator and series, but the story does not flow from page to page - seems to be a regular flaw for this author. While reading this aloud to students, I had to prepare myself for the best way to read each next page so as to help along the story. Otherwise, a fun introduction to a beautiful piece of artwork, and made me want to do more research to learn more.
Emiko Miyasato
I spent about 70 minutes to read this book.

7 word summary
boxing, ballet, father, angry, teacher, concert, london

discussion quention
In this story, the main character wanted to be a dancer. So, what did you want to be when you was a child?
I wanted to be a hair dresser. I was interested in changing hair styles. Now, I want to be a flight attendant.

I have watched this movie when I was a high school students. I want to watch it again!
Nora
Jan 07, 2014 Nora rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: jp
A patron clued me in to this marvelous series & I am in love! Not only do they have biographical info, but the illustrations are in the style of the subject! Wonderful!
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Nicely done. A modern day museum guard relates the story of poor Marie posing for the grumpy old artist Degas to try to pay for her ballet lessons. We become sympathetic to both of them. Is Degas cranky all the time because he is losing his sight? I feel disappointed that I don't remember The Little Dancer from my visit to the Louvre in Paris. Next time....
Jackie
Edgar Degas, a mean-spirited artist of great talent, sculpted the amazing and truly lifelike version of Marie van Goethen, a talent artist in her own right...a lithe and nimble ballerina. Their connected story comes to life in this fictional story.
Donna
Marie wanted to be the most famous dancer in the world, and she most likely is, but not in the way she imagined. Life happens and changes the path we walk, and this story shows how both Marie and Degas dealt with difficulties presented to them.
Bird Lovegod
My little girl and I love this book. And she is able to identify Edgar Degas pastels by sight now, which very much impressed a bookseller when we opened a history of painting and there was a degas and Daisy correctly named him. She was 3.

Louisa Verma
I liked this book and so did my daughter (she had me read it twice in a row) but I disliked the underlying message that a famous artist's dreams are of more importance than that of a little girl.
Laura Motush
This is a fictional book that introduces Degas and includes some real facts about his life and his art. It is a good introduction to Degas and the types of artwork he creates.
Ryan
Marie the dancer. So she wishes to have a dance lesson. No choice, to poor. No money to go to school. They're trying hard.
Maggie
I liked the paintings in it that Degas did. I like the statue he made. I also like the tutu that the girl had.
Heather
This was a wonderful book. Great writing, great illustrations, great substance. It was a little depressing though!
erin ball
I hardly know anything about artists or art...but I'm falling in love as I learn with my daughter.
Matt
Damn...Degas was a cantankerous bastard...but...it is still a brilliant book.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Shelly Woods porter
Shelly Woods porter marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
  • The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
  • Beautiful Oops!
  • Me on the Map
  • Jotham's Journey: A Storybook for Advent
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • Matthew's Dream
  • Math-terpieces: The Art of Problem-Solving
  • Play It Again, Mozart! (Geronimo Stilton Graphic Novels, #8)
  • This is Paris
In a career spanning three decades, Laurence Anholt has produced over 200 children's books, which are published in more than 30 languages. Titles like the self-illustrated Anholt's Artists series have sold many millions of copies around the world. Laurence has also collaborated on numerous picture books with his wife, the artist, Catherine Anholt.

Laurence's first Young Adult novel will be publishe
More about Laurence Anholt...
Camille and the Sunflowers: A Story about Vincent van Gogh The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists Books for Children) Picasso and the Girl with a Ponytail Leonardo and the Flying Boy Stone Girl, Bone Girl: The Story of Mary Anning