Start by marking “Unsung Lullabies: Understanding and Coping with Infertility” as Want to Read:
Unsung Lullabies: Understanding and Coping with Infertility

Unsung Lullabies: Understanding and Coping with Infertility

For people experiencing infertility, wanting a baby is a craving unlike any other. The intensity of their longing is matched only by the complexity of the emotional maze they must navigate.

With insight and compassion, Drs. Janet Jaffe, Martha Diamond, and David Diamond-specialists in the field of Reproductive Psychology who have each experienced their own struggle with inf
Published June 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Unsung Lullabies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unsung Lullabies

Jenna (JennaHack)
May 30, 2013 Jenna (JennaHack) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2013-books
This was an incredibly encouraging read for me. Currently in our 20th month trying to conceive and having gone through treatments, heartbreak, frustration, anger, etc., this book was so refreshing.

I've read a couple other books about infertility, but none of them really delve into the real emotion of the experience and how to cope. This book having been written by three psychologists who all went through infertility, they get into the nitty gritty of why you feel what you feel and that it's OK.

T
Jenny
Sep 08, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing
I see from the reviews that lots of people recommend this book for infertility, but I am going to go a step further and say it is a fantastic book for anyone who has a friend who is dealing with infertility, including those who are moving on to adopting or being child-free. My close friends are adopting now after years of infertility, and I feel like I really understand (as best as I can) what they went through to get to where they are now. And it's an especially good book for friends or family ...more
Kendra
Feb 20, 2009 Kendra rated it really liked it
Shelves: unfinished
Okay. I love this book. It explores the emotional aspect of infertility. The three authors each experienced infertility themselves and are also clinical psychologists who currently work with people struggling through the crisis of infertility. That perspective gives a lot of depth and reality to this book. I appreciated the validation of feelings and the understanding of what some one struggling with infertility goes through. I feel that this book was very helpful and insightful. I learned and g ...more
Rebecca
May 15, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Before reading this book, I thought I knew everything there is to know about grief and loss. It's funny how I never thought of infertility itself as a loss. I always took note of miscarriage and stillbirth because that was a loss of life. I also learned that grieving is not a lineal process but a continual cycle as we grief different parts of our "reproductive story" as the book calls it. The story that exists in the very core of our being of how our story of pregnancy and parenthood would play ...more
Apr 25, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
As far as books on infertility go it's probably the best I've read. For once somone actually pointed out the range of emotions you go through and validated your feelings. This is one of those books however that you shouldn't read if you aren't ready to have your heart ripped out through your nose. The authors are all three psychologists and really make you go back through every part of your reproductive trauma. It's a must read for anyone struggling to have a baby, but hard read none-the-less.
Amanda
Sep 28, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
I would recommend this one for anyone who knows someone who struggles with infertility. Personally, I felt like everything covered in the book I already knew, having experienced a lot of it myself, but I would highly recommend it as a book to help people understand infertility (especially those unfamiliar with it). If you want someone to understand how you feel or what you are going through, hand them read this book. It's a quick and easy read but very informative on the trials and feelings of i ...more
Crystal
May 13, 2010 Crystal rated it really liked it
I was reading this to see if it would be a good book for clients, and I really think it is. It covers the whole spectrum from going through infertility to what if you do have a baby and there are emotional things that come up after that too! It also covered gender/relationship considerations, which I think a lot of pregnancy-related books fail to do. If you or anyone you know is going through infertility, this book is for you!
Marianne
Aug 16, 2010 Marianne rated it it was amazing
Great book, one I reference often. It is good for someone going through infertility and for friends and family of a loved one going through infertility. It is one of the most difficult things a person should never have to go through. Having as much support as possible is extremely important. I can not stress enough how much it would help a person who is suffering from the disease of infertility to have a loved one read this book.
Janalyn
Jan 08, 2008 Janalyn rated it really liked it
This book contains no medical jargon. It validates the infertility experience, and it has helped me to understand my "reproductive story" and how to cope with experiencing infertility. I highly recommend it. I took a few notes as I read, to share with my husband. Because of that, I felt like I discovered new things-almost a therapy experience.
Stephanie
Mar 12, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Infertile Couples
This is a must read for anyone struggleing with infertility. It does not explore the medical side of how to overcome infertility, but how to deal and cope with the struggle of being infertile. It is a must read!!!
Sara  Liebman
Aug 22, 2016 Sara Liebman rated it really liked it
This was a difficult book to read, but it was worth it. The writers don't shy away from telling the reader something they don't want to hear, but also lend support and solidarity in dealing with infertility and all the mixed emotions that go with it.
Kim
Oct 05, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To any infertile women, friends or family of childless people, this helps explain a lot.
Brittany Luoma
Jan 04, 2017 Brittany Luoma rated it it was amazing
Book #2 of 2017 Reading Challenge - A book that made you cry.
Mel
Apr 09, 2009 Mel rated it really liked it
Shelves: mind-body
A good book with commonsense methods for dealing with the psychological aspects of infertility.
Mrs. Roy
Jun 06, 2013 Mrs. Roy rated it really liked it
Shelves: infertility
This book is painful to read but was helpful. I would recommend it to anyone who is in the midst of infertility.
Adrienne
Apr 06, 2013 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
Great book! Helped me tremendously. Highly recommend it to any couple going through infertility.
Jocelyn
Aug 15, 2007 Jocelyn rated it really liked it
Every person (male and female) who is going through infertility should read this book.
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Michele Sanders
Michele Sanders rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Kacy
Kacy rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2008
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2009
Julie Heiner
Julie Heiner rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
Mindi
Mindi rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Michael G. Zink
Michael G. Zink rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2009
Cassie
Cassie rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Miriam
Miriam rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Cally
Cally rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2009
Pennye Anglin
Pennye Anglin rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2014