Start by marking “Anthony and the Girls” as Want to Read:
Anthony and the Girls

Anthony and the Girls

Anthony has a bucket, a shovel, and a really big car. But the
girls playing in the sandbox don't look. They don't even look
when attention-seeking Anthony does his best trick. Is there
nothing he can do to turn their heads his way?

In dazzlingly deadpan text and art, Ole Könnecke hilariously
demonstrates how easy it is to stumble when trying too hard to
make a splash. After all,
Published February 21st 2006 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published July 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Anthony and the Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anthony and the Girls

Mr. George
Apr 25, 2012 Mr. George rated it it was amazing
fabulous man-boy read.....really funny social commentary on courtship. funny, because it is true.
Sylvester
Apr 24, 2017 Sylvester rated it really liked it
4* art
4* story

Oh man. This IS Squirt. How did Konnecke know?!! Little show-off kid that he is. You've got to read this book.
babyhippoface
Nov 07, 2007 babyhippoface rated it it was amazing
H-i-larious, and dead on....

Despite Anthony’s best attempts to gain the attention of two girls playing in the sandbox, they completely ignore him. When he falls down and starts to cry the girls finally notice, and Anthony is content--until Luke arrives. Even the youngest readers of this adorable picture book will realize the typical childhood scenario is about to repeat itself. Parents will get a kick out of the gentle, familiar humor, and kids will like the short sentences and simple cartoon il
Adrienne Furness
Könnecke leaves a lot of room in the language and the images, giving us just enough to see how desperately Anthony wants those girls' attention without ruining the whole story by saying it outright. It's funny, but the story has a lot of empathy for Anthony, too.
Jason
May 29, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Anthony must be Anton of Anton Can do Magic because Luke makes an appearance at the end. I hoep they republish this and sync the names because the two bookend each other wonderfully.
Kathryn Hogan
Jan 19, 2012 Kathryn Hogan rated it liked it
Shelves: friendship
It was very cute. The story is about a little boy that is trying to get attention of two little girls, Hwe tries despretly showing off all of his toys and physical abilities. Nothing seems to work. Finnally he plays with himself and builds a house. His house was blown over by the wind and he began crying which ofcourse prompted the girls friendship. The little boy was very happy, untill another boy came along and the process started all over again. I think the book shows how if you do your own t ...more
Jill
Aug 05, 2010 Jill rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hysterical. This is probably the best children's book I have read in several years. It is one of those my kids pulled out on their own and put in our basket at the library. The illustrations are some of the happiest I've seen in a long time. This book just flat out makes me laugh and smile each time I read it. You can't come to the end and not laugh out loud.
Erin
Sep 03, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
This reminds me of the Peanuts comics. It's all about a little boy who wants to get the girls' attention. He tries lots of different things to no avail. Then, when he cries, the girls come running. I don't like that crying is what gets him what he wants.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
Oct 04, 2012 Michelle (FabBookReviews) rated it really liked it
Delightful story; so simple, smart and funny. I think grown-up men should read this too ;)
Daniel
Feb 02, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Total süßes Kinderbuch :)
Danica Midlil
Really demonstrates well how the male mind works. ;)
Booky Girl
Feb 17, 2010 Booky Girl rated it really liked it
I think this is a bit mad - but in a good way! One for the girls to discuss!
Tasha Sylvester
Nov 06, 2009 Tasha Sylvester rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute story. I have been trying to find it for months! It is pretty funny because it is so true. I am excited to read it again.
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
May 12, 2011
Onnin
Onnin rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2014
Kasia Plichcińska
Kasia Plichcińska rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Maija
Maija rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Cooper Wilson
Cooper Wilson rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2017
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Madeline
Madeline rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2012
Lisa Reyes
Lisa Reyes rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
May 01, 2008
Matthew
Matthew rated it did not like it
Aug 24, 2016
Whitney
Whitney rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2008
Amy Holley
Amy Holley rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2011
Cooper Wilson
Cooper Wilson rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2012
Leann
Leann rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2008