Start by marking “There's No Place Like Hope: A Guide to Beating Cancer in Mind-Sized Bites: A Book of Hope, Help and Inspiration for Cancer Patients and Their Families” as Want to Read:

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This is Vickie Girard’s long-awaited and completely indispensable survival guide for cancer patients and their families. Regardless of the type of cancer, here is an immediate, practical, and inspiring guide that will empower any patient to better fight and survive this disease. Through her involvement with the Cancer Treatment Centersof America and The American Cancer Soc ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Compendium Publishing & Communications (first published March 2001)

To ask other readers questions about There's No Place Like Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's No Place Like Hope

I bought this book three times last year. The first was for my stepfather, diagnosed with esophageal cancer in February 2011. It was recommended to me by a friend who's husband is a survivor of the same cancer, although the author is a breast cancer (met.) survivor. It doesn't matter. Cancer is cancer and there really is no place like hope when you are devastated with that kind of diagnosis. I would definitely recommend.
Heidi Kukta
This book was quite good. We just found out my father has cancer and I picked this up, and then after reading it, picked it up for my brother, my sister and my parents. It is positive, helpful, and straightforward. In these scary and confusing moments, it helped me to see that although this battle is far from over, there can be small victories every day. I highly recommend this book!
My counselor recommended this book and I picked it up at the library today. I was looking forward to it and couldn’t resist dipping into the book in the car and when I first arrived home. The bits I read so resonated with me that I put aside my book in progress to read this book instead and finished it. I would highly recommend it to cancer patients and their loved ones. The author survived stage 4 breast cancer and she shares thoughts on hope and empowerment as one faces diagnosis, treatment, d ...more
Beverly Fuller
"There's No Place Like Hope" is a wonderful book, whether you have cancer or not. One of our book club members recommended this book to our club. I'm so glad that she told us about the book. Everyone should read it.
Shelly Manning
Could not have gotten through my mom's cancer diagnosis without it. I gave a copy to my mom in a care package and she loved it to!
This is such an inspiring book! Not just For anyone battling cancer, but for the family and friends of cancer patients too!
Sue Parker
I was given this book by a friend just after receiving the news that I have breast cancer. Life isn't always easy and sometimes it throws you a curve ball. I do feel better about the journey I am about to begin. Vickie has done a great job of putting the struggles of cancer survivors into perspective. This book is full of information. I know this will be a book that I will read more than just once.
Another book on my shelf of "books I wish I didn't need to read". . .but with my youngest sister recently diagnosed with advanced ovarian cancer, this book has been so helpful to our family. Written by Girard, who lived with cancer for many years,her insight, honesty, and at times humor makes this book one I would always recommend for families facing the word we all wish we would never hear. . .cancer!
A very inspiration little book that I read just after my treatment ended in 2013. Nice bite-sized statements that were just what I needed to read at that moment. Could definitely go back to over and over again. I would have given it 5 stars but didn't like the minor Christian messages that came through - would have preferred a more inclusive approach.
Got this book for my parents and my dad told me it helped to give him hope and perspective. I'd have to agree with him. I appreciated the author's no-nonsense attitude and was amazed that she lived for 15 years after receiving her "terminal" diagnosis. An encouraging book full of hopeful little mantras.
Feb 01, 2010 Lily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has cancer & definitely any cancer caretakers
Shelves: onlythebest
One of the best books I've read this past year about coping with cancer. It doesn't have to be a cover to cover read, some days I'll just flip it open and read a couple entries. It infuses much needed humor, understanding and encouragement to keep fighting the fight. Hope is my new middle name.
May 30, 2010 Kim is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is helpful, but I'm very frustrated. My dad is receiving chemo for stomach cancer. I cannot believe the medical profession believes chemo is a "treatment" for cancer. It's making my dad so sick. Why can't researchers find something that boosts the immune sytem, instead of weakening with chemo?
Noralyn Lozada
Noralyn Lozada is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2015
Mike added it
Aug 18, 2015
B added it
May 20, 2015
Wendy Snider
Wendy Snider marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Jgfunk added it
Apr 11, 2015
Vikram Rajput
Vikram Rajput marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Rocky marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Lori Mcgough
Lori Mcgough marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Deborah Pintur
Deborah Pintur marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Marie Burns
Marie Burns marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014