Start by marking “Weigh Down Diet” as Want to Read:
Weigh Down Diet

Weigh Down Diet

Isn’t your desire to overeat really spiritual hunger?

“I can stop in the middle of a candy bar and have no desire to eat the second half if my stomach is not calling for it.”
- Gwen Shamblin

Do you eat and eat and never feel full? Rise above the magnetic pull of the refrigerator and turn to the bounty offered to thousands who have embraced a liberating weight-reduction progr
Published December 24th 2002 by WaterBrook (first published February 17th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Weigh Down Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weigh Down Diet

Deanna
Reread December, 2011.
************
I just reread this for zillionth time.
*************
First off I want to say that I am not a big one on self-help books. I'm more of a prayer and scriptures type of person for solving my problems. However, this is one of those books that I do refer too.

This book has made some lasting changes in my life. I was introduced to this book six and a half years ago and I immediately lost 40 pounds and I've never once gained it back. Mind you I had had that 40 pounds of
Mizbooks
own

This book introduced me to the "Hunger-Fullness" method for weight loss, so I'll always be grateful for that... it's the only thing / program that's ever worked for me!

But, the theology in this book is "off". Gwen was okay here, but seems to have "gone off the deep-end" after writing this one. I don't recommend you read this book unless you're willing to pray your way through it, asking God for discernment so you won't be mislead.

Also see: http://tinyurl.com/an37n
Stacia
Oct 31, 2011 Stacia rated it liked it
Shelves: living
1. I remember my mom talking about this when I was in high school. I thought that the idea of eating when you're hungry and stopping when you're full made sense. But we joked about how that's next to impossible to accomplish. I don't know if she attended a workshop or not, but I do think that it is possible, when seeing it as an obedience to God issue.

2. After college a friend had told me that Ms. Shamblin was a heretic (don't remember if he used quite so harsh a word, but it's possible) somethi
Andrea
Mar 13, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Technically, I shouldn't review it as I haven't actually finished the book. However, 50 lbs lighter, I have to say that I really liked what I read and was able to easily incorporate the ideas into my life!

EDIT: Yeah, I pretty much missed a lot of the idea for this program. Physically it is all about reducing portion sizes and listening for body hunger. A lot of us deal with comfort eating for reward, love, etc. This program reminds us that God loves us and will always provide exactly enough for
Jun 28, 2007 Laura rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who can't think for themselves
Do not give in to Satan and eat the candy bar!!!!
Oh god this book is horrible, it disgusts me. The author claims to be a registered or certified dietician, but she’s also certifiable. Eat less, listen to your body- that’s sound advice… but preying upon people who are already insecure and vulnerable with twisted logic and scripture taken out of context- ugh she’s a loon. The book reads like brainwashing- don’t overeat, homosexuality is a sin, listen when your body says you’re hungry, praise the l
Briana Holmes
Oct 12, 2013 Briana Holmes rated it it was amazing
I read this book and WOW does it work! I'm 21 and had recently put on the "freshman 15" in college. My parents found this book and suggested me to try this program. Not only have I lost the weight but I found a relationship with God to get me away from the greed!
Such an easy concept too, I'm a health major and restoring the body back to its normal homeostasis makes so much more sense than the harsh treatments of the body.
I've tries A LOT of other stuff. This is the only thing that has worked fo
Dani
Nov 20, 2008 Dani rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is one tidbit that I took away from this book that has stuck with me for years. When you are faced with those big servings at restaurants, eat the tastiest-looking bits of food first. Then you won't feel tempted to keep eating when you get full because all that will be left on your plate are the less appealing bits. That is all I really got out of this book.
Mitzi Moore
Jul 24, 2011 Mitzi Moore rated it liked it
Shelves: advice
Even if you think Gwen Shamblin is a nut job, she has a point about food: our bodies tell us when we require food and when we don't. Overweight people have lost the ability to tune in to those signals. I did a Weigh Down Workshop years ago and it worked. This backslider needs to gets rededicated.
Luann Thatcher
Mar 17, 2014 Luann Thatcher rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! I first read it in 1998 and have read it many times since. After being overweight and feeling like a failure from all my past dieting experiences, I finally was set free! I have lost 70 pounds and kept it off since 1998! My whole life as been positively changed!
Jeanne
Feb 03, 2014 Jeanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Throw out all man-made food rules and transfer a passion for food or any earthly desire that gets in the way, to a passion for God. Pretty simple, but profound.
Amy
Apr 10, 2010 Amy rated it it was ok
Gwen Shamblin's diet plan is pretty simple: Eat only when you're physiologically hungry and stop when you reach a "polite" full feeling (whatever that is??). She believes that overeating is a sin of "sensual indulgence" (gluttony) and a form of idolatry that can only be overcome by transferring your love and obedience from food to God. Unfortunately, she needed 300+ pages and several million exclamation points to convey those ideas. I found the book numbingly repetitive.

I guess I agree with the
Anna Todd
Mar 25, 2009 Anna Todd rated it really liked it
Shelves: 600s
The Weigh Down Diet by Gwen Shamblin (copyright 1997) packs a pretty powerful punch. Although, Ms. Shamblin has a master's degree in nutrition and is a certified dietician I do not know that I fully agree with her discouraging the taking of vitamins. I personally do not believe that most human beings get their daily allowance of nutrition from just eating whatever food that is craved in a twenty-four hour period.
At the same time, I am very agreeable to Ms. Shamblin's approach to weight-loss in c
Betsy
Sep 21, 2009 Betsy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I read this book with some trepidation--my memory of the Weigh Down seminar (12 or 13 years ago?) was not terribly complimentary. Scripture taken out of context and all. So, I was pleasantly surprised by the book (and when you read the book, you aren't subjected to Shamblin's Southern accent). 4 Stars because I think most Americans need to be reminded that gluttony is still gluttony--even if we put a different label on it. Shamblin reminds readers over and over that our dependence on food, overw ...more
Alisa
Jan 21, 2012 Alisa rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012, grc
Pretty much.. losing weight is easy as long as you obey God, which is your kinda full feeling and not indulge in the Devil.. which is having some more. If you over eat.. you are eccentually Sinning because you are not stopping when God is telling you to stop. So, that pretty much means.. to me.. that this book is telling you that if you are fat, you are a sinner.. and I am sorry, but that is a bunch of bullshit. I am sure that others have not taken this book as I have, but hey, I was bored at wo ...more
Christie
The premise behind this book seems sound: turn to the Lord to help you eat only when you're hungry. "Head Hunger" and eating when you're not hungry lead to being overweight.

Note: Ms. Shamblin speaks about depression a lot in this book, but doesn't really know much about it. She also repeated herself a lot in the book, and I found myself skimming for morsels of wisdom instead of reading the entire book.
Amanda
Jan 23, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing if you let it be, not just for weight loss but for everything you give your heart and mind to for comfort that is not God.
sarah
Jul 25, 2009 sarah rated it it was amazing
Lifechanger..read it probably 10 times...listen to all the tapes too!
Lori
Jul 21, 2017 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me, this book is life changing. The simple formula of eating when hungry, stopping when full, and figuring out when those two things are happening. I love the reminders of God's goodness. The food will be there. Tomorrow. The next time I go to that restaurant. The next time I am hungry and am wishing for sweets. I don't have to have it all now. Later, it will be a gift as well.
I don't agree with all of Gwen's theology. But I know Jesus died for me. I know he loves me. I know obedience brings
Wendy
Jun 26, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I use a combination of this program and Intuitive Eating. Using these two methods. I've lost 30 pounds in 2 years. It's a slow process, yet very sustainable for me (and healthy).
I don't agree with everything she says. And I can't get behind her complete spiritual approach (although I do believe God can help you come to peace with food), but the basic ideas of eating just when you're hungry seem intuitive, but were actually eye-opening for me. .
Trudy Pomerantz
Dec 11, 2012 Trudy Pomerantz rated it liked it
There are some strange bits in this book but the author does get it right that overeating is a sin. She says that that we may be using food to avoid turning to God instead. However, the idea of besetting sin seems to be absent. She seems to believe in a final victory. Plus, I need to keep certain food out of the house to avoid temptation which is also a command of Scripture.
Jenny
Sep 01, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
Read in 2003/2004; re-reading in 2012
Cathy
Apr 08, 2011 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books-read
Couldn't put it down.....suprised me a little bit with the ending, but happy it ended the way it did!
Lynette
Dec 29, 2009 Lynette rated it it was ok
didnt work for me but might for someone else
Vonna
Jan 21, 2013 Vonna rated it it was amazing
Awesome book that does not just apply to food.
Anna
Feb 15, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
Very helpful!
Alexandra
Jun 04, 2009 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life...really it did. It was a make your life better book and it really made me think and make some changes.
Erika
May 16, 2012 Erika is currently reading it
Up to page 122
Jeff Noble
The Weigh Down Diet by Gwen Shamblin (?)
Bill
Aug 29, 2013 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best "weight-loss/dieting" book I have ever read. I highly recommend it.
Rachel
Feb 19, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rachel by: my sister
I am not done reading this book, but it is good and it works. I feel so much better about myself.
  • Thin Within
  • Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)
  • Every Thought Captive: Battling the Toxic Beliefs That Separate Us from the Life We Crave
  • The Surrendered Single: A Practical Guide to Attracting and Marrying the Man Who's Right for You
  • The Book of Romance: What Solomon Says about Love, Sex and Intimacy
  • The Art of Forgiving
  • How to Get a Date Worth Keeping
  • Just When I Thought I'd Dropped My Last Egg: Life and Other Calamities
  • Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle: The Graphic Novel, #1)
  • When Food Is Love: Exploring the Relationship Between Eating and Intimacy
  • Hear No Evil: Marching in the Lord's Army, Fleeing the Devil, and Finding a Righteous Groove
  • Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change Your Life
  • That's Not What I Meant!
  • Good to Great in God's Eyes: 10 Practices Great Christians Have in Common
  • The Only Necessary Thing: Living a Prayerful Life
  • Is That Really You, God?: Hearing the Voice of God
  • The Art of Neighboring: Building Genuine Relationships Right Outside Your Door
Christian dietician.

Her weight loss programs combines dieting with the christian faith.

She is founder of The Weigh Down Workshop and Remnant Fellowship Church, which professes that Jesus and God are two seperate beings.

She also runs a website called "Weight Down Ministries"
More about Gwen Shamblin...