Start by marking “Jake's Orphan” as Want to Read:
Jake's Orphan

Jake's Orphan

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Tree longs to escape the orphanage and find a real home for himself and his younger brother. But when his chance finally comes, "There's just room for one," says Delton Gunderson, who is looking for a boy to help work his North Dakota farm. If the Gundersons like Tree's work, they might adopt him. If they don't, back he goes. "I promise," Tree tells his brother, Acorn, "if ...more
Published August 28th 2001 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published March 17th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Jake's Orphan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jake's Orphan

Evermore by Alyson NoelNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenSelina Penaluna by Jan PageThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenThe Dark Divine by Bree Despain
Cover Couples
439th out of 801 books — 592 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola
Oct 05, 2012 Lola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this YA book to see if it was age-appropriate for my grandchildren. A very good story of a 12 yr. old boy & his 10 yr. old brother in an orphanage in St.Paul, MN. "Tree" the older boy is sent on a one year "trial" to a farm in Crosby, N.Dakota in 1926. The couple wouldn't take the younger brother.
This is a story of life lessons & the need to belong to somebody.
Pam
Feb 11, 2015 Pam rated it really liked it
Good story line and moving, the reader thoroughly feels the frustration of our orphan and his desire for a place/family and his conflicting loyalty to his brother. Great ending!
Leah Good
Feb 05, 2013 Leah Good rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leah by: Jennifer Sauer
At its heart, this story is about loyalty. Tree is characterized by his determination to do what is best for those he loves. His quite sense of determination and responsibility won me over to his side on page one. There are two or three mild cusses and one childish but slightly ribald prank, but other than these instances the story is fantastic. For those who enjoy stories about orphans and/or historical fiction, this is a great book to add to your reading list. It bears many similarities to Gib ...more
Ally Brown
Feb 13, 2016 Ally Brown rated it really liked it
Quick read. Very well written characters. Tree was extremely relatable and I would recommend this book!
Shauna Williams
Jan 30, 2016 Shauna Williams rated it really liked it
What a sweet story with believable characters. I love the topics discussed and the reality of the time period. Nice quick read.
Sydney W
Feb 24, 2010 Sydney W rated it liked it
This book was good, but it's kind of confusing to me because the main character can't live with his brother at the same home. The family he is supposed to live with already has kids but yet they need him to work for them. A big thing that confused was that the Gundersons wanted a boy from the orphanage to work for them on their farm so why didn't they take both of the boys?
Bethann
This book is a book I would use in my classroom. It is a good way to teach children about diverse families. It is also a good way to show children how families can be separated. Tree has a very hard time trying to find a way to deal with the fact that his brother cannot be there with him, because the family does not want him there. Overall, I enjoyed this book.
Sara
Jul 02, 2008 Sara rated it liked it
Recommended to Sara by: OLSS grade 6 summer reading
Matthew's summer reading assignment. A good story about an orphan and his brother who leave the orphanage to work on a farm. Wish kids these days knew this kind of work! This may not hold Matthew's attention... I also bought this book for our personal library.
Les Mackey
Sep 13, 2011 Les Mackey rated it it was amazing
Jake's Orphan is a great story about a boy that gets not quite adopted but just "borrowed" by some farmers. When his younger brother finds out about this he tries to sneek on a train to farm to be with his brother. At the end Jake, the farmers brother, adopts the boy.
Cheryl
Dec 09, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Tree is going to the Gunderson's farm in North Dakota for a trial year before he is officially adopted. He works hard on the farm and to be accepted into the family. His younger brother runs away to join join Tree adding to his problems and challenges.
Camryn Lowry
Sep 20, 2013 Camryn Lowry rated it liked it
Jake's Orphan, is a very interesting book. I liked how it was a historical fiction. I rated it 3 stars, because it wasn't the best book I've ever read, but one of the many okay ones. I like how it's full of action. Very good book.
Jean
Jan 30, 2012 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was one of my favorite books as a young kid. The writing is very good, and the story is wonderful. The author did an excellent job of showing what life was really like during that time in North Dakota.
Emily
Apr 04, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
i just finished this book and i have to say the begining was kinda borring but after i got into it i couldn't put it down
Christine Ofslager Halpaus
Gave a good picture of life on the prairie in the early 1900's. A little slow moving at times.
Jan 18, 2008 Sarah added it
it was a good book it was crazy and had some violance in it but it was very good
Jenny
Dec 11, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
I read this story for Amber's book club and I surprisingly really liked it.
Molly
Oct 22, 2011 Molly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
As a young preteen, I loved this book. I still have it. Very nice story.
Maeve Taylor
Maeve Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Abby K.
Abby K. marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Megan Smith
Megan Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Hailey
Hailey rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Therese
Therese rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
YJB
YJB marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Keri
Keri marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Kristen Bailey
Kristen Bailey rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
John Gurnsey
John Gurnsey rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
  • Gib Rides Home (Gib, #1)
  • Prairie River: A Journey of Faith (Prairie River, #1)
  • Gratefully Yours
  • Broken Song
  • Mad Dog (Starlight Animal Rescue, #2)
  • Burying the Sun  (Angel on the Square, #3)
  • The Orphan of Ellis Island
  • A Horse to Love (Keystone Stables #1)
  • Worth