Start by marking “Build Your Own Earth Oven: A Low-Cost Wood-Fired Mud Oven, Simple Sourdough Bread, Perfect Loaves” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  220 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Earth ovens combine the utility of a wood-fired, retained-heat oven with the ease and timeless beauty of earthen construction. Building one will appeal to bakers, builders, and beginners of all kinds, from: - the serious or aspiring baker who wants the best low-costbread oven, to - gardeners who want a centerpiece for a beautifuloutdoor kitchen, to - outdoor chefs, to - cr ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 129 pages
Published September 17th 2007 by Hand Print Press (first published May 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Build Your Own Earth Oven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Build Your Own Earth Oven

Jack Stephens
Kiko Denzer's gifts as an artist and teacher shine in this book. Building an earthen oven is the perfect project to satisfy many desires to be useful, creative and healthy, and "Build Your Own Earth Oven" speaks to those desires eloquently and practically. With Kiko as a guide you can make something that is fun, useful, artful, cheap, practical and beautiful. And then, thanks to Hannah Field's expertise as a baker, you can enjoy delicious and healthy artisan breads, and so much more.

I especially
Toby
Aug 29, 2012 Toby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: slow, food, oven
Learning to build and fire an earth oven is a fascinating project. This is *the* book that you must have if you want to do it. Be careful to get the most recent edition since a lot of new information has been added over time. One caution on this though... the earlier editions had simpler, easier to build oven plans. Those plans are legitimate and they do work. You should not get caught up in a complicated design (unless you enjoy that), but should focus on the amazing fact that you can build an ...more
Kristen Gurri
Mar 25, 2008 Kristen Gurri rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2-non-fiction, how-to
Great book/concept. We have built small practice ovens and the kids have loved it. If you need things spelled out in measurements and precise line by line instructions this book will frustrate you a bit. I really liked the way it encourages you to learn by your own experience and guides you through the trial and error stages. I agree with other reviews - a practical sized earth oven is the work of several casual weekend projects. Gather materials, build the base, build the oven, insulate. Much m ...more
Pzikmanis
This is a true Hippie book. Essentially how to build a functioning wood oven from dirt and junk in your backyard.
Lisa
Aug 13, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I built an earth oven using these using instructions in the book. Three years out it is still holding up to the weather. Word of warning though, be sure if you do decide to build one you have easy access to the opening. Ours is really low to the ground and I haven't used it as much as I'd like because of having to kneel down all the time. It would have been better to have it raised on a higher platform of rocks or a solid mount of dirt. It's a really great way to bake, though, and even store bou ...more
Micki
Dec 22, 2008 Micki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies, hippies, DIY-ers
Oh, I read this book in the wrong season! The ground is frozen, and there's no way I can easily build an earth oven to try out the fun stuff in the book! But maybe in the spring!

This is a hopeful kind of book, of the "Mother Earth News" hippie genre of books, where the author tells the reader, "yes, you too can do this traditional craft/art." (-: I have a feeling it will be more trouble than it's worth, but come spring, I plan to try making my own pizza oven.

The writing is zesty and bubbly, and
Dave
Apr 21, 2011 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I built one two years ago using this book as a guide. Lots of fun playing in the mud with my kids ensued. In use, it takes some practice to get the temperature right for bread, but you can use it right from the beginning for the best pizza you will ever have. Made pizza's for a work party, they cooked in only 90 seconds! most people spent more time building the pizza than it took to cook one.

If you want to have a very cool conversation piece in your backyard, go for it!
Kyle
May 28, 2007 Kyle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: aspiring oven builders
Shelves: bread
The book itself contains much useful and encouraging information on constructing your own adobe oven in a variety of circumstances. The bread section is pretty crude, however, to the point that its pages would have been much better spent providing more information on oven construction.
Lin
Aug 14, 2007 Lin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gourmets, diy types, tree huggers, environmentalists
This inspired me to make my own wood-fired oven from recycled materials and clay. Currently I am building the foundation. You can finish this in a weekend (once you have all the supplies assembled), but I've set the modest goal of one-month for this project.
Christina
Jan 12, 2009 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome!!! I especially love Denzer's comments about bread and art. The last couple pages of the book were so powerful. He articulates so well the magic of bread-especially one made with love and a earth.
Charlie
Feb 06, 2012 Charlie rated it it was amazing
A very well done "how to..." if you ever get the urge to build your own wood-fired oven literally from the dirt on your own property... though probably not for sub-urbanites. :)
Edwin Whiting
May 08, 2013 Edwin Whiting rated it it was amazing
Awesome read. Learn the simple way one can build a wood fired oven out of mud. You get to play in the mud and learn at the same time: what could be better :) :)
Robin
Jun 27, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rarity if you are searching for information on how to build an outdoor oven. Easy to understand and detailed with photos and illustrations.
Scott
Nov 15, 2014 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting.
Dave Riley
Aug 09, 2009 Dave Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The standard work with all the DIY you'll need to build and fire up an outdoor oven. Good sense advice with descriptive illustrations.

Cillaann
Jul 01, 2008 Cillaann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read through this book so many times it isn't funny. Someday I really want to build a mud oven in my back yard before I die.
I won't have the opportunity to try this out until next summer, but this book is definitely inspiring.
Dec 18, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: building
add it to the pile of references for whenever i finally get to build one.
Tanya
May 16, 2008 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Very detailed and great photo's to help inspire such a project.
Briverb
Dec 28, 2009 Briverb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
can't wait till Spring to build one!
Crystal Rose
Crystal Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Graham
Graham marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Wendy
Wendy added it
Apr 27, 2016
Alleyn Evans
Alleyn Evans rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Annabelle
Annabelle rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Steven Weinberger
Steven Weinberger marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
P V Horsburgh
P V Horsburgh rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Faith Stanfill
Faith Stanfill rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
  • The Hand-Sculpted House: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage: A Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage (The Real Goods Solar Living Book): 10
  • Home Work: Handbuilt Shelter
  • The Solar House: Passive Solar Heating and Cooling
  • Water Storage: Tanks, Cisterns, Aquifers, and Ponds for Domestic Supply, Fire and Emergency Use--Includes How to Make Ferrocement Water Tanks
  • Tree Crops: A Permanent Agriculture
  • The Earth-sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book: How to Build an Energy Free Year-round Greenhouse
  • Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods Earth Plaster * Straw Bale * Cordwood * Cob * Living Roofs
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Sun, Wind & Light: Architectural Design Strategies
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • The Straw Bale House
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • The Profitable Hobby Farm, How to Build a Sustainable Local Foods Business
  • The Resilient Homestead: Innovative Permaculture Systems for the Home and Farm--Based on Research and Development in Earthworks, Perennial Crops, Cold-Climate Rice Production, and Nutrient-Dense Food/Medicine from the Whole Systems Research Farm