Build Your Own Earth Oven: A Low-cost Wood-fired Mud Oven; Simple Sourdough Bread; Perfect Loaves

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Earth ovens combine the utility of a wood-fired, retained-heat oven with the ease and timeless beauty of earthen construction. Building one will appeal to bakers, builders, and beginners of all kinds, from: the serious or aspiring baker who wants the best low-cost bread oven, togardeners who want a centerpiece for a beautiful outdoor kitchen, tooutdoor chefs, tocreative pe...more
Published February 1st 2001 by Hand Print Press (first published May 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Build Your Own Earth Oven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Build Your Own Earth Oven

Jack Stephens
Kiko Denzer's gifts as an artist and teacher shine in this book. Building an earthen oven is the perfect project to satisfy many desires to be useful, creative and healthy, and "Build Your Own Earth Oven" speaks to those desires eloquently and practically. With Kiko as a guide you can make something that is fun, useful, artful, cheap, practical and beautiful. And then, thanks to Hannah Field's expertise as a baker, you can enjoy delicious and healthy artisan breads, and so much more.

I especially...more
Toby
Learning to build and fire an earth oven is a fascinating project. This is *the* book that you must have if you want to do it. Be careful to get the most recent edition since a lot of new information has been added over time. One caution on this though... the earlier editions had simpler, easier to build oven plans. Those plans are legitimate and they do work. You should not get caught up in a complicated design (unless you enjoy that), but should focus on the amazing fact that you can build an...more
Kristen Gurri
Great book/concept. We have built small practice ovens and the kids have loved it. If you need things spelled out in measurements and precise line by line instructions this book will frustrate you a bit. I really liked the way it encourages you to learn by your own experience and guides you through the trial and error stages. I agree with other reviews - a practical sized earth oven is the work of several casual weekend projects. Gather materials, build the base, build the oven, insulate. Much m...more
Lisa
I built an earth oven using these using instructions in the book. Three years out it is still holding up to the weather. Word of warning though, be sure if you do decide to build one you have easy access to the opening. Ours is really low to the ground and I haven't used it as much as I'd like because of having to kneel down all the time. It would have been better to have it raised on a higher platform of rocks or a solid mount of dirt. It's a really great way to bake, though, and even store bou...more
Micki
Dec 22, 2008 Micki rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: foodies, hippies, DIY-ers
Oh, I read this book in the wrong season! The ground is frozen, and there's no way I can easily build an earth oven to try out the fun stuff in the book! But maybe in the spring!

This is a hopeful kind of book, of the "Mother Earth News" hippie genre of books, where the author tells the reader, "yes, you too can do this traditional craft/art." (-: I have a feeling it will be more trouble than it's worth, but come spring, I plan to try making my own pizza oven.

The writing is zesty and bubbly, and...more
Dave
I built one two years ago using this book as a guide. Lots of fun playing in the mud with my kids ensued. In use, it takes some practice to get the temperature right for bread, but you can use it right from the beginning for the best pizza you will ever have. Made pizza's for a work party, they cooked in only 90 seconds! most people spent more time building the pizza than it took to cook one.

If you want to have a very cool conversation piece in your backyard, go for it!
Kyle
May 28, 2007 Kyle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring oven builders
Shelves: bread
The book itself contains much useful and encouraging information on constructing your own adobe oven in a variety of circumstances. The bread section is pretty crude, however, to the point that its pages would have been much better spent providing more information on oven construction.
Lin
Aug 14, 2007 Lin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gourmets, diy types, tree huggers, environmentalists
This inspired me to make my own wood-fired oven from recycled materials and clay. Currently I am building the foundation. You can finish this in a weekend (once you have all the supplies assembled), but I've set the modest goal of one-month for this project.
Christina
This book is awesome!!! I especially love Denzer's comments about bread and art. The last couple pages of the book were so powerful. He articulates so well the magic of bread-especially one made with love and a earth.
Charlie
A very well done "how to..." if you ever get the urge to build your own wood-fired oven literally from the dirt on your own property... though probably not for sub-urbanites. :)
Edwin Whiting
Awesome read. Learn the simple way one can build a wood fired oven out of mud. You get to play in the mud and learn at the same time: what could be better :) :)
Robin
A rarity if you are searching for information on how to build an outdoor oven. Easy to understand and detailed with photos and illustrations.
Dave Riley
The standard work with all the DIY you'll need to build and fire up an outdoor oven. Good sense advice with descriptive illustrations.

Cillaann
I have read through this book so many times it isn't funny. Someday I really want to build a mud oven in my back yard before I die.
I won't have the opportunity to try this out until next summer, but this book is definitely inspiring.
add it to the pile of references for whenever i finally get to build one.
Tanya
Very detailed and great photo's to help inspire such a project.
Briverb
can't wait till Spring to build one!
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Dig Your Hands in the Dirt: A Manual for Making Art Out of Earth Make a Ray Jacobs Rocky Mountain Dulcimer: Build this GORGEOUS sounding instrument from a 2x4, cardboard, & plywood. It's cheap, beautiful, & easy-to-build-and-play. The Nightmare Solution: Simple, Creative Methods for Working Out Your Dream Problems (with Guidance for Parents, Therapists, and Teachers Helping Children) Rocket Mass Heaters