Start by marking “Standing on the Promises” as Want to Read:
Standing on the Promises

Standing on the Promises

As parents, our greatest calling is the raising of our children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. God has designed each family to be a culture with a language, customs, traditions, and countless unspoken assumptions. The culture of the family intimately shapes the children who grow up in it. It is the duty of parents to ensure that the shaping takes place accordin ...more
Published July 13th 2009 by Canon Press (first published May 20th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Standing on the Promises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Standing on the Promises

Betsy
Nov 15, 2010 Betsy rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, parenting
I was a bit leery going into this book since I most definitely do not agree with the recent trends in Wilson's theology/practice (Federal Vision and co.), but I really appreciated this book. There are overtones in this book that tend towards some of the theology I find questionable, but overall, this is a very thought-provoking book. The general emphasis is on the covenantal nature of the family, particularly the covenantal responsibilities of parents and the resulting covenantal benefits for th ...more
Kyle Grindberg
Mar 09, 2017 Kyle Grindberg rated it it was amazing
A very helpful, and encouraging read. I'm sure I'll be reading this again once the Lord grants us children!
Zach McDonald
Oct 02, 2015 Zach McDonald rated it really liked it
The main thesis of Wilson's word on child rearing is simply this: God has made promises to Christian parents that faithful child rearing will result in godly offspring. The rest of the book lays out this argument, calls parents to stand on these promises and gives practical applications on how God calls his people to love, teach and discipline covenant children.

To Wilson, godly offspring should be the rule in the church, not the exception. Parents should expect their children to trust in Christ
CJ Bowen
Jul 21, 2010 CJ Bowen rated it really liked it
Read count: 2 (Most recent: August 14, 2013)

Full of solid, fatherly common sense and wise pastoral counsel. Wilson grounds the calling of childrearing in faith: the first job of any parent is to take God at His Word, and then seek to parent accordingly. When this is done, Christian parents can expect to see the fruit of faith: faithful children.

While the central message is positive, Wilson doesn't shy away from the negative: disobedient and rebellious kids are the result of faithless or disobed
Adam T Calvert
Oct 25, 2014 Adam T Calvert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
In usual Wilson style, this book was theologically meaty as well as practical with great insights.

There were some interesting views that I'm still having a hard time digesting (yet I'm also having a hard time refuting them with anything other than, "that doesn't seem right").

Better than any other typical parenting book on the market (as with his book on marriage), offering stories and anecdotes with some Scripture sprinkled on top (or even throughout), Douglas Wilson's style is to build from Scr
Brandon Barnes
Excellent book about Biblical parenting. Topics covered include God's promises to obedient parents, the way to properly discipline and reconcile with your child, and the difference between parenting from your 'own' authority or from the authority given you by God. There are more topics covered, of course, but these were the ones that were most beneficial to me.

One of my favorite things about this book was that EVERYTHING was backed up with Scripture. It is not uncommon for Christian authors to u
Toby
Dec 30, 2009 Toby rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
This really is a great overview of the basic challenges, requirements, and of course the promises that attend Christian parenting. I read this several years ago, but this should probably be required reading every reading ever few years for parents in the thick of it.
Patrick
Dec 30, 2016 Patrick rated it really liked it
Great advice for Christian parents.
Mary A
Oct 21, 2013 Mary A rated it liked it
So far this is my least favorite Doug Wilson book that I've read, but I've loved his other books and just liked this one. I don't see his covenant theology in the Bible, although he does a good job of laying out where he sees it. So those opening chapters are somewhat helpful, somewhat not in my opinion. I really appreciate his rebukes to not hold our children to a higher standard for fruit of salvation than we would for adults. Truly wonderful insight. Overall, I am encouraged to that God is go ...more
Gary
Feb 24, 2010 Gary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Like Shepherding a Child's Heart, this made an impact in the way I parent my children. I will be referencing it for many years to come. I listened to Doug's Loving Little One's sermon series at about the same time I started this book and came away from that blessed and edified as well. I think what I got most from the sermons, or at least what I keep hearing in my head right now is "remember their frames" and what I got from the book is, like all of Doug's material, we (parents) must ground ever ...more
Lacie
Jan 16, 2013 Lacie rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! I enjoy Mr. Wilson’s style – he is pointed, clear, and practical. He doesn’t create ideals that can’t be brought to daily life. If he isn’t going to apply it practically, he doesn’t bother bringing it up. My fiancé and I started reading this book together before we were engaged. The book introduced a host of great conversation topics for us, and we appreciated his discussions on establishing a Christian family culture, deepening family relationships, and shepherding children’s so ...more
Luke Miller
Jun 04, 2016 Luke Miller rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
The early sections of the book lay out Wilson's covenant view of parenting and children. Not surprisingly, I disagreed at multiple points, and I marked a number of passages for further study. For example, I'm still not clear on what he believes God is promising to Christian parents regarding their unbelieving children. He says more than once that these promises do not guarantee the salvation of the children, so what exactly do they guarantee? That said, I still found most of the book to be refre ...more
Jeff
Dec 15, 2014 Jeff rated it it was ok
I really liked Wilson's "Reforming Marriage", but "Standing on the Promises" is entirely dependent on a prior belief in Covenant Theology. Wilson hangs everything he says on a Covenant interpretation of the whole of Scripture. He believes the aphorisms in Proverbs are iron-clad promises given to all believers, so your child's election can be guaranteed by your obedience. He believes there is a Scriptural mandate to pull your kids from government schools due to Deuteronomy 6. Etc.

If you love Cove
Melissa
Jun 17, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, religion
I think this book is geared at men more than women. I did really appreciate the way Douglas Wilson's use of Scripture. It's great to read a parenting book with a Biblical basis.

The parenting advice was mostly sound, but I didn't care for Wilson's athoritarian attitude. Perhaps I felt this way because my own dad had such a beautiful humble attitude that I kept contrasting Wilson's domineering voice with my father's gentle advice.

Also he ascribes to a Calvinist theology, so as a Wesleyan Arminian,
Troy Anderson
Aug 21, 2014 Troy Anderson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any parent regardless of their child's age.
Wonderful! Chapter two was especially encouraging as Pastor Wilson exposited the promises of God to parents. After laying down the biblical presuppositions of covenantal childrearing he then gives the specific application of godly discipline. This is not the first parenting book I've ever read and I'm certain it won't be the last but this book will be near the top as I continue to seek wisdom in raising my children. I'm so grateful for this resource.
Michael Cranford
Aug 02, 2011 Michael Cranford rated it really liked it
Wonderful read for parents both young and old. Wilson provides the Biblical foundation for covenantal thinking as it pertains to raising our children "in the nuture and admonition of the Lord." The book can be complimented nicely by Wilson's sermon series, "Loving Little Ones." I especially appreciated the practical list of Scripture references for use in dealing with various sins in the lives of our children.
Darin
Mar 17, 2012 Darin rated it it was amazing
Great book that gives a biblical defense for non-public education of our children. You may not agree with it, but it is very interesting and worthwhile to read. It gave me a lot of encouragement for the way that we have chosen to raise our children. I never really thought of many of the scriptural references that this book listed in particular, but the general philosophy I have had really lined up with what was in this book.
Gary
Feb 27, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it
After an excellent summary of why we must regard our children as in the Covenant, and what that really means, Doug passes on to the practical stuff of teaching and discipline. A thorough mixture of sound principles and wise advice from an intelligent father and pastor.

Loved it.

Favourite part: the advice on discipline followed closely by the section on the continuity of the old and new administrations of the Covenant.
Spencer
Dec 09, 2013 Spencer rated it it was amazing
This book is not very long, but it is jam-packed with good stuff. With my first son on the way, it makes me very hopeful and excited. It not only makes me excited to "stand on the promises" individually, but also to see other christians standing on them while fulfilling the command to raise their own children according to the Word of God.
John
Jun 01, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This is the best book on parenting that I've read. Wilson builds his foundation from the Bible and explains the promises that obedient parents are given in the Bible--promises that God is faithful to keep. He then applies the foundation to practical wisdom in how to discipline and educate our children. If you're looking for a book on parenting--this is the place to start.
Abrahamus
Oct 04, 2009 Abrahamus rated it it was amazing
A wonderful treatment of the promises and responsibilities given to Christian parents, both of which are far weightier than we tend to expect. The discussion extends to the biblical understanding of covenant applied to the family, the authority of parents, the understanding and application of godly discipline, wisdom in guiding younger as well as older children and teens, etc.
John
Dec 08, 2016 John rated it really liked it
As always, Doug is a great writer and very biblical in his approach to everything. Many many talking points with my wife as I went through this. Also worth a re-read as we progress through the different seasons of parenting.
Caleb Ripple
Dec 04, 2009 Caleb Ripple rated it it was amazing
If you are asking me, this is a must read for expecting parents especially but parents in general for that matter who desire to be Biblical. For me this not only taught me about parenting but also about being a child of Abba Father.

An easy five stars!
Will
Aug 29, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing
I need to read this book every year. This is a gold mine for parents with young kids. I catch myself reading it and feeling the whole range of emotions guilt, frustration, desire, happiness, security etc. I wish I could remember all these things. It's a must read.
Lori Murray
Jan 22, 2010 Lori Murray is currently reading it
This book is taking me a long time to read as I tend to get a bit confused as to what Doug Wilson is really saying. I will finish it one day....
Toria
Jan 22, 2011 Toria rated it liked it
Although I didn't agree with everything, I found this book very helpful and especially enjoyed his chapters on the covenantal promises of God to parents.
Michelle Hensley
Apr 06, 2009 Michelle Hensley rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!
Joe
Jul 19, 2009 Joe added it
college read. need to read again
Lindsey Doolan
Best owners' manual I've seen on kids (yes, aside from the Bible). Will always be on my shelf.
Nicole Conrad
still thinking about this one. Not sure what I think entirely. I'd like to read something more grace-oriented to balance with it.
  • Praise Her in the Gates
  • Face to Face: Meditations on Friendship and Hospitality
  • Against Christianity
  • The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship
  • Primeval Saints: Studies in the Patriarchs of Genesis
  • Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling
  • By This Standard: The Authority of God's Law Today
  • Hints on Child Training: A Book That's Been Helping Parents Like Your...for More Than 100 Years
  • Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches
  • Plowing in Hope: Toward a Biblical Theology of Culture
  • Home-Making
  • Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
  • Training Hearts, Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on the Shorter Catechism
  • Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World
I write in order to make the little voices in my head go away. Thus far it hasn't worked.
More about Douglas Wilson...

“When the parent is qualified to discipline, he probably does not feel like it, and when he feels like it, he is probably not qualified.” 14 likes