Start by marking “The Giant Rat of Sumatra: or Pirates Galore” as Want to Read:
The Giant Rat of Sumatra: or Pirates Galore

The Giant Rat of Sumatra: or Pirates Galore

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  146 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A swashbuckling tale of thievery and revenge

The Giant Rat of Sumatra is the most notorious pirate ship in the Pacific. Its ferocious figurehead, a rat with crooked teeth and gouged-out eyes, strikes fear in the heart of every seafaring crew. Now the ship has dropped anchor in San Diego. Twelve-year-old cabin boy Shipwreck -- so named after he was rescued from the sea by th
Published August 1st 2006 by Greenwillow Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Giant Rat of Sumatra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Giant Rat of Sumatra

Laura Verret
I saw this title as I was glancing through a stack of books at a garage sale. The Giant Rat of Sumatra. It instantly rang a bell. The giant rat of Sumatra was the name of an undocumented case solved by Sherlock Holmes. Was this a piece of imitation fiction based on the master detective? I would soon find out.

As it turns out, although the name was derived from the Holmes stories, but book itself had nothing to do with Holmes. Instead, it told the story of a pirate ship…

The Story.

Shipwreck never
juan carlos
Jul 26, 2015 juan carlos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amantes de la novelas de piratas y las novelas históricas, esta es su libro.

A través de nuestro protagonista naufrago comos e hace llamar nos presenta una visión acerca de:
1. aventuras de escape, pistolas y barcos.
2. Perdidas de sueños y territorios.
3. La valentía y la gallardía.
4. La fuerza de las mujeres en contra de la imagen de los hombres.
5. El sueño de encontrase al amor de años.
6. La nobleza de un corazón cubierto de una dura y firme armadura de desprecio.
7. Lealtad a la familia y
Anne Beardsley
Sid Fleishman had a cool setting, some interesting characters, and interesting plot hook....they just never quite grew into an actual book.

The laconic main character has character growth that is mostly hinted at as having occurred sometime in the last 8 months (the story covers maybe 3 months). We certainly don't get to watch it. He doesn't talk much, which would be fine if he did more. He tries a couple of things, but never really pulls off anything properly heroic or of worth. Mostly he observ
Marta-Kate Jackson
Jan 19, 2014 Marta-Kate Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween, adventure
Twelve-year-old cabin boy Shipwreck was plucked from the Pacific and tossed into a world of mutineers, bandits, lost love, treasure, and revenge aboard the notorious Giant Rat of Sumatra. Young Shipwreck simply wants to begin the long voyage home to Boston from San Diego, but befriends the great pirate turned hidalgo Captain Alejandro Gallows from whom he learns the importance of loyalty, acceptance, and bravery amidst greed and war. The story is set in 1846 during the Mexican-American War and a ...more
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 194 pgs

1846, San Diego, CA. 12 year old "Shipwreck" finds himself stranded when Captain Gallows decides to leave sea life to become a ranch owner. Since Mexico (which includes California) is at war with the United States, the chances of him finding a ship to take him back to Boston are slim. So, Shipwreck decides to work for Captain Gallows while he figures out his next move.

Part of a trilogy started in "By the Great Horn Spoon!". Great follow up to Fleischman's "Bandit Moon". Funny and p
Adrienne
Apr 02, 2009 Adrienne rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-count-08
The Giant Rat of Sumatra was a quick, 193-page read. It’s a kid’s book, by Newberry-winner Sid Fleischman. I’ve enjoyed Fleischman’s books in the past, and I generally enjoy reading children’s books, but I felt like this one wasn’t as good as previous works of Fleischman’s. It felt a little predictable to me, and also a little lacking in detail.

San Diego in 1846 is Mexican territory, and Mexico is at war with the United States, which is a problem for Shipwreck, cabin boy of the pirate ship, Gian
Bonnie
Jul 31, 2007 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of adventuresome historical fiction books
This is a "pirate" story that takes place on land. If you can get over that, it's actually an enjoyable read. It's written by the author of The Whipping Boy, which I wasn't a huge fan of, but you can really see in this how his writing has progressed.
The story is about a boy who goes off to sea at 11 on his stepfather's whaling boat. His boat sinks, and he is rescued by a pirating ship. When they get to land in San Diego, then part of Mexico, he finds out that Mexico and America are at war, and t
Faithonthebass
Feb 19, 2014 Faithonthebass rated it did not like it
had to read it for langley book of the year. what were they thinking. honestly. i was expecting swashbuckling adventure on the high seas, not border skirmishes, farming and terrible spanish impersonations. not enjoyable for anyone who appreciates a little more plot
Karen
Aug 02, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
What a master story-teller Sid Fleischman is! From the very first sentence, I was hooked. And my interest was held throughout this wonderful, action-packed, humorous book that is destined to become a modern classic.
David
May 05, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
What I thought about this novel was breathtaking. This book was amazing. I could not put it down.
Kristen
Jan 18, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it
I'm not too proud to read books labeled "10 and up," and you shouldn't be either. Sometimes they're a lot of fun - especially if they're historical adventure stories. In 1846 San Diego, California, twelve-year-old Shipwreck is brought ashore by the pirate captain who rescued him from the sea, and who is now bent on becoming an hidalgo - and completing his revenge on the local man who wronged him years ago. A fast-paced, mostly credible, and often funny yarn, this story did have a few continuity ...more
Lynn Kelley
Jun 24, 2012 Lynn Kelley rated it really liked it
What a fun and entertaining read for kids (and adults like myself who enjoy kids' books). Lots of adventure and I learned some new things about San Diego, California's history and the Mexican-American War. I love the main character, Shipwreck, and Captain Gallows the pirate. I found the relationship that developed between them quite endearing. I recommend this book to kids, especially boys who are reluctant to read. This is a story that's funny, amusing, and engaging.
Brian Hull
Feb 13, 2010 Brian Hull rated it it was ok
Hi my name is Dylan Hull, my dad is Brian Hull. I read the book and it was just okay. There are many reasons why the book was not that good, like there was not enough adventure. The middle and the end were very sloww. I read this book for my historical fiction report. By chapter eight, it started to get less entertaining. All in all, the book was pretty good.
Amber Cooke
Apr 01, 2015 Amber Cooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book to read aloud to upper elementary students. Fun pirate story.
Squeaky
Nov 26, 2012 Squeaky rated it liked it
I liked it a lot, I don't know if I REALLY liked it, but I'm going to read more Sid, as I've read a lot of Paul already. Read this because I like the cover AND it takes place in San Diego. And PIRATES! Ran across it during inventory, it's funny the books I find while scanning'n'dusting!
Starry
Dec 19, 2009 Starry rated it really liked it
Not as good as By the Great Horn Spoon, but still a great swashbuckling tale for kids that brings Californian history alive. Whereas the Great Horn book was about the gold rush, this one is about California being won from Mexico by the US. A fun read full of great characters.
Marilyn
Jun 13, 2009 Marilyn rated it liked it
San Diego in 1946. Ranchos, bandits, sailors, pirates, and a young boy making his way and finding his identity. What's not to like? Clever and funny. Would be especially appealing to boys, I think.
Alice
Sep 17, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
I like this book as a historical fiction. I wouldn't say it is the best book ever written but I think boys 8-10 would like it. The history part was interesting and had a nice twist at the end!
Josephine
Aug 08, 2013 Josephine rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Fleischman's writing style changed over the years, for which I can hardly blame him; I prefer his earlier books, but this one was at least a fun read.
Kat_18
Jan 24, 2008 Kat_18 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who have to read this book for the battle of the books
Recommended to Kat_18 by: BATTLE OF THE BOOKS
UMMM... I would recomend this book to elementary school kids in the kent school district from ages 9-12 because it's a battle of the books.
Buddy
Apr 25, 2008 Buddy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Danny Noorlander
It is about pirates and bandits!with mexico in war with America!And sea lions too!
B
Oct 03, 2008 B rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-boy, j-historical
A cabin boy on a pirate ship finds himself in 1846 San Diego. Amusing
Jone
Aug 15, 2007 Jone rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 4th and 5th grade
It was an enjoyable read. I liked Bandit's Moon better.
Ginger
Jan 26, 2009 Ginger rated it really liked it
good action/mystery with boy appeal
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Not as good as his older stories.
Rose
David
David added it
Apr 28, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016