Start by marking “Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty-Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  204 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Reagan’s War is the story of Ronald Reagan’s personal and political journey as an anti-communist, from his early days as an actor to his years in the White House. Challenging popular misconceptions of Reagan as an empty suit who played only a passive role in the demise of the Soviet Union, Peter Schweizer details Reagan’s decades-long battle against communism.

Bringing to l
Published October 21st 2003 by Anchor (first published October 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Reagan's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reagan's War

Alexandra Swann
Oct 04, 2013 Alexandra Swann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reagan's War is an amazing book. I was ten years old when Reagan won the White House. Although I was a teenager during his presidency, I never knew very much about him until I read this book. Today conservatives value his wit, insight and courage more than I think we ever have. This biography contains plenty of stories exemplifying all three.

If you lean conservative and like Reagan but don't know a whole lot about him, this is the book for you. Schweizer's book chronicles the Gipper's life-long
Paul Miller
For anyone who now takes for granted the end of the Soviet Union... an invigorating tale of how Reagan's simple approach of dealing with Communism (sell 'freedom', have confidence that the US system will WIN - their economy would fail in any arm's race)... actually worked and delivered freedom to MILLIONS! We forget how much of a lone voice he was - the book contains now almost humorous remarks from Carter, Schlesinger, Dodd, and others from the left.

This is familiar stuff, but what was new her
Alex
Feb 07, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
Recounts the evolution of Reagan's fight against communism, from its beginnings in Hollywood to its ultimate triumph in Washington. As President, Reagan alone had the courage to stand up to the Russians, and his strategy was keen. When the collapse of the Soviet empire came in 1989, it was swift and complete. In the years since then, I think we've forgotten how ruthless the Soviets were to their own people and how dangerous they were to the rest of us, with their stated goal of world domination. ...more
Steve Kettmann
My review published in the San Francisco Chronicle in 2002:

Reagan's War

The Epic Story of His Forty-Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism

By Peter Schweizer

DOUBLEDAY; 339 Pages; $26
Hagiography often gets a bad name, but it can be refreshing. Even those of us who spent the Reagan years in the Bay Area, kvetching about the Great Communicator, can and should appreciate how fascinating a document Peter Schweizer has given us with this gush job posing as a book, "Reagan's War."

Think of it as a
Patrick
Mar 04, 2011 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Although intellectual liberals largely like to think that Reagan was stupid because he did not know policy details, I think he was intuitively smart and great communicator. Reading some of his speeches that he largely crafted on his own, no one can credibly say that Reagan was an idiot. Maybe he was not a genius but he certainly had an above average intelligence and was communicating virtuoso. I generally agree with his tendency to believe he had a divine purpose in his life as well as America h ...more
Rachel
Dec 08, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While working in Hollywood, Reagan experienced firsthand the deceptive and brutal tactics of communist activists who were trying to manipulate the film industry and take over the unions. During the Hollywood strike of 1946 organized by Herb Sorrell (a member of the Communist Party and secretly funded by the KGB), Reagan refused to sneak onto the film lots through a storm drain (as suggested by the studios), and instead boldly drove through the gauntlet by car. He was rewarded with death threats ...more
Carl Bailey
Oct 08, 2014 Carl Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally got to this book in my stack and found it to be absolutely excellent. It reflects a detailed research of Soviet and Soviet bloc archives as well as U.S. sources.

The final summary analysis chapter is worth the price of the book.
Roxanne
Oct 13, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great because I thought Ronald Reagan was such a good President. He did work very hard to end communism much to his credit.
Mike Day
Apr 11, 2015 Mike Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Reagan. This book outlines how President Reagan combatted communism. Excellent read.
Kristen
Regan's War is an exciting account of President Regan's crusade against, and eventual victory over, communism.
Chad
Feb 16, 2012 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, history
Great read putting into perspective the battles Reagan had to fight against the enemies of the Republic. Whether it was the Soviets or the extreme left in this country or treasonous politicians like Ted Kennedy working to undermine the President. He rose to the challenge and beat the extremists with a smile on his face. Boy could we use a Ronald Reagan now more than ever.
Jameson
Feb 22, 2011 Jameson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book! Peter Schweizer does a tremendous job of relating the true view of Reagan from the multiple American viewpoints and the Soviet viewpoint. It shows that there was continuity to Reagan epic struggle against the Soviets. This is a must read for anyone interested in the Cold War.
Shirley
Jan 22, 2008 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs, people who want inspiration
Recommended to Shirley by: my cousin Mary
This book filled in so many of the details I never paid attention to when the events were actually happening (I was young and oblivious). It was so interesting, especially when you consider it was a non-fiction, political book which I would normally find less than fascinating.
Heather
Mar 11, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Ronald Reagan, so I really liked this book. I can't guarantee that everyone will like it as much as I did, but I think that it could be an interesting read for anyone, regardless of whether they like him or not.
Curtis Edmonds
Mar 06, 2012 Curtis Edmonds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review at Bookreporter.com - http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews/r...
Michelle r
Jun 01, 2008 Michelle r rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
What a Prez. He's my dream...an actor and the president. And a stuanch fighter of the commies. He loved freedom and art. I'm obsessed.
Marilee
Aug 30, 2014 Marilee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
An in depth look at Reagan’s opposition to communism. Other than the fact that the writer worships Reagan, it’s a good read.
Monica Perez
A great overview of Reagan's greatest achievement. Inspiring.
Gary
Sep 10, 2011 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't get enough of the "Great Communicator!"
Bob Croft
Bob Croft rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Yvonne O'connor
Yvonne O'connor marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Dan
Dan added it
Jan 28, 2016
Craig Adamson
Craig Adamson marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
David Emery McKown
David Emery McKown marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Lou
Lou rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Ally Brown
Ally Brown marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Tara Fischer
Tara Fischer marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Terri Prince
Terri Prince marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
  • How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life
  • Governor Reagan: His Rise To Power
  • The Rebellion of Ronald Reagan: A History of the End of the Cold War
  • What I Saw at the Revolution: A Political Life in the Reagan Era
  • Reagan, in His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America
  • A Different Drummer: My Thirty Years with Ronald Reagan
  • Whittaker Chambers
  • James Madison and the Making of America
  • Forever Flying
  • Unfit For Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry
PETER SCHWEIZER is a research fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. From 2008-9 he served as a consultant to the White House Office of Presidential Speechwriting and he is a former consultant to NBC News. He has written for the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, National Review, Foreign Affairs, and elsewhere. His books include The Bushes, Reagan's ...more
More about Peter Schweizer...

“Reagan’s activity in foreign affairs is not an improvisation, is not a chain of spontaneous initiatives, but a carefully planned and coordinated action, something of an integrated front of action under the slogans of world advocacy of the idea of freedom.” 0 likes