Start by marking “Reagan, In His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan that Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America” as Want to Read:

Hidden in the archives of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library for more than a decade, the writings contained in Reagan, In His Own Hand redefine the way we think about American history of the past quarter century and about the fortieth American president. By revealing an active mind wrestling with the problems of a sluggish economy, social pathologies, welfare reform, a

Published October 22nd 2001 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about Reagan, In His Own Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reagan, In His Own Hand

Jim
Jun 26, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Throughout my life, almost all of my friends have been liberals, and if they were politically inclined at all, liberal Democrats. I remember well how so many people were shocked at the "lack of qualifications" for the presidency Reagan was supposed to have exhibited, forgetting that he was a two-term governor of the nation's most populous state. He was often thought of as an easy-going dunce, and it's certainly true that he took much of the nation by surprise when he won the presidency in 1980. ...more
Nooilforpacifists
This book consists of largely Reagan's 1970s radio scripts, found written in his own hand on stacks of legal paper--this was pre Peggy Noonan. Back then, he had a 3 minute spot to talk about any topic of his choice.

It is impossible to read this book and not realize that Reagan was exceedingly well informed, highly intelligent and a good thinker. Once more, he had a component of intelligence so lacking in other politicians (say Jimmy Carter): he could summarize the important matters for his audie
Michelle
Mar 27, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned what a true conservative's views are. He was authentic and true passionate and optimistic. He was the best president in my generation.
Elise
Apr 30, 2008 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic insight on this great American. It is very easy to read and enjoy watching his reasoning abilities.
Jon Angell
Dec 30, 2015 Jon Angell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2015
As one of my reading goals this year I wanted to read a book of at least 500 pages, and this is it. I am so glad I choose this one as it was packed with so much good an varied content that it was worth the extra time and effort. My biggest regret is not taking the time to take notes and mark the book as I went through it.

I had an admiration and respect for President Reagan before I started this book. The book clearly explained Reagan's policy positions, thinking, thought processes and an insigh
Ced Crawley
Nov 04, 2014 Ced Crawley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ronald Reagan was a man of principles, feeling, and understanding. He believed in the rights of all men as inherently given by the Creator, just as the Founding Fathers of America articulated in the Declaration statement.

In this collection of writings by the late POTUS, one sees clearly the reflection of Reagan's deeply thought-out ideas and further, the deeply held convictions which were the root and core of those ideas.

As a person who watched Reagan in office as a young boy, and whom especial
Nick S
May 08, 2015 Nick S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book explained his life on how he lived before his political lifestyle. Where he was born and how he got into politics, also he alsmost lived a century, before politics he was an actor. Also Star Wars was introduced at this time and created into a movie also had to do with the cold war that he helped stop.
Jeff
Nov 17, 2008 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, democrat or republican, who cares about political ideals
This is a collection of radio chats written by Reagan himself, not a chronological book with a narrative. However, it is truly an amazing work, almost like a bible of Regan's political beliefs spelled out by himself. Each essay is only one to two pages on average and clearly labeled so it is great to pick-up, flip through to a topic that interests you, and read for a few minutes. It truly reveals a man who, while widely considered popular, was also thought by many to not be too smart (forgetting ...more
Daniel Chase
Sep 20, 2016 Daniel Chase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Eye Opening And Entertaining

This book offers a lot if eye opening experiences and insights about Ronald Reagan and his political beliefs and the times he lived in. It was also very entertaining.

Jane Cook
Apr 28, 2015 Jane Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love a great original source and this is an insight one on Ronald Reagan.
Kristen
Feb 04, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I actually haven't finished this book because I only get to it every few months or so. It's a collection of Ronald Reagan's radio addresses in the years before he became president. They explain his vision of the world and his policies. I'm a huge fan of RR and every now and then, when I'm so frustrated with the current state of the union, I'll pick up the book and read pure common sense and wisdom. Very refreshing. I think that's why I'm taking so long to finish this book. I'm savoring it slowly ...more
Marilyn Hartl
Jun 10, 2010 Marilyn Hartl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A remarkable collection of writings by a guy who changed the way of thinking of many former democrats. Seeing the hand-written notes of one of the nation's finest leaders is an inspiring thing...knowing that he wrote so much of his own material gives one assurance that his leadership was from the heart, and that his wisdom as expressed to the nation was his own. We are fortunate that he wrote in longhand...there won't be records of this sort for future leaders...the digital age has ended this so ...more
Anthony O'Brian
Jan 07, 2015 Anthony O'Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-reads
Reagan wasn't just a politician spouting what he felt the masses wanted to hear or what would make him popular...he believed every word! These speeches, letters, and radio addresses came way before he even thought about the Presidency or Governorship.

A MUST READ!
Chris Henn
Feb 06, 2011 Chris Henn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To anyone interested in the thinking behind the thinking of our 40th President, this is a must read. Written as short radio commentaries he delivered from 1975-1979, these policy statements form the bedrock of his Presidency. George Schultz once commented "He knows so little and accomplishes so much." This book reveals the true Reagan genius that went beyond his title as the "Great Communicator".....
Mark
Sep 26, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: political
Very insightful for those who wanted to know more about the man behind the legend. This book outlines almost every side Reagan took during his political, from the Economy and Foreign Policy, to Social Issues and Education. Must read for anyone wanting to know more about good ol' RR.
Christopher
Oct 12, 2008 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want a lesson on what it means to be a conservative, then read this book. This is a collection of the notes of The Gipper's radio speeches when he was Governor. It outlines all his major beliefs in every political topic from foreign policy to Reaganomics.
R2
Jul 11, 2016 R2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
audio book - They don't call him the great communicator for nothing. Whether you agree with conservatism or not, Reagen is a giant who told it like it is. His heart aligns with his purpose. Highly recommended.
Nathan
Aug 21, 2011 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent sketch of how Reagan viewed the world. This book provides great evidence that Reagan's vision while in office was his own; it was a vision he outlined during his radio addresses in the 70's.
Josh Ayer
Explodes the myth of his supposed stupidity. You don't have to like the ideas but you will understand his lucid and well written point of view.
Joe Martin
Nov 17, 2014 Joe Martin marked it as have-unread
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
"Reagan, In His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan that Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America by George P. Shultz (2001)"
Jon Mills
Jun 24, 2012 Jon Mills rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable and insightful.
John Mcgeorge
John Mcgeorge marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Paul Cozby
Paul Cozby marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
LJMart
LJMart marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Kerryann Combs
Kerryann Combs marked it as to-read
Angie Cain
Angie Cain marked it as to-read
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Benjamin Crewe
Benjamin Crewe rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
October Sky
October Sky marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
  • How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life
  • God and Ronald Reagan: A Spiritual Life
  • Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism
  • Reagan: A Life in Letters
  • President Reagan: The Triumph of Imagination
  • Mugged: Racial Demagoguery from the Seventies to Obama
  • The Age of Reagan: The Conservative Counterrevolution: 1980-1989
  • The Path To Power
Ronald Wilson Reagan was the 40th President of the United States (1981–1989) and the 33rd Governor of California (1967–1975). Born in Illinois, Reagan moved to Los Angeles in the 1930s, where he became an actor, president of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), and a spokesman for General Electric. Reagan became involved in politics during his work for G.E. and switched from the Democratic Party to the ...more
More about Ronald Reagan...