Start by marking “Van Til's Apologetic, Readings and Analysis” as Want to Read:
Van Til's Apologetic, Readings and Analysis

Van Til's Apologetic, Readings and Analysis

Van Til's Apologetic: Readings and Analysis
Published July 1st 2012 by Presbyterian and Reformed (first published July 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Van Til's Apologetic, Readings and Analysis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Van Til's Apologetic, Readings and Analysis

Paul
Jan 11, 2008 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apologetics, van-til
Very important contribution to the apologetics of Cornelius Van Til.

Bahnsen does a great service by including many hard/impossible to find apologetical insights penned by Van Til in defense of presuppositional appologetics, or in response to her critics. He also does a good job in setting forth a comprehensive analysis of the apologetics of Van Til.

Of course, Bahnsen is a sympathetic, and hardly critical, supporter of Van Til. You will do well to balance this book with many of John Frame's on th
John
Nov 14, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
In "Van Til's Apologetic," Bahnsen presents Van Til's method, summarizes his work, and answers his critics. This work is not for the faint of heart nor the under-read. This is a difficult work to read through and requires patience and some previous experience studying philosophy. To Bahnsen's credit, he's much easier to understand than Van Til.

I trust there are other more introductory works on Van Til's apologetics, but I started here. I don't recommend that path for any but the most adventurou
Jacob Aitken
Oct 11, 2014 Jacob Aitken rated it it was amazing
I probably should have reviewed this book several years ago. I was a hard-core presuppositionalist then. In many ways I knew the arguments much better. On the other hand, I now have some distance to the issues and while I may not be as fluid in the argumentation, hopefully I am not as blind to the weaknesses, either.

While I now disagree with much of Bahnsen’s thought, he is truly the master. I stand in awe of him. And Bahnsen would be the first to approve of a former acolyte going beyond Bahnse
Christopher
Jul 14, 2011 Christopher rated it really liked it
An essential read if you want to understand Van Til's presuppositional apologetic, a unique, refreshing, faithful, and sound approach to evangelism. However, instead of reading straight through like I did, I would recommend reading the opening chapters and then 9th chapter which is an outline and summary of Van Til's thought and then using the book as a reference, picking up on those reading sections that most interest you. If you read it from cover to cover it will be incredibly repetitive as t ...more
Craig French
Feb 03, 2014 Craig French rated it really liked it
This is an incredibly helpful collection giving the reader a better grasp of Van Til's thought. While I'm not a rabidly convinced "Van Tillian", he offers some very helpful insights. The careful reader ought to beware of buying into implicit German Idealistic categories and placing faith in this system of thought as though it really destroys all arguments. Be careful how you put into play Van Til's arguments. The average unbeliever will not understand you. An unbeliever with a philosophical back ...more
Chris Comis
Feb 25, 2009 Chris Comis rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, theology
Bahnsen was the best at defending VT against his detractors. Not a whole lot of critiques of VT in here, but still a ton of good stuff for both the lay apologist and the die-hard. The chapter on self-deception is worth the whole book. This was B's little baby. This book was his magnum opus.
Justin Andrusk
Jul 13, 2009 Justin Andrusk rated it really liked it
This book is in my opinion is "the book" and should be required reading for all aspiring Christian apologists. Bahnsen outlines various philosophical systems and shows why they are defective against the Christian worldview.

Michael Jones
Jan 25, 2012 Michael Jones rated it it was amazing
Waded through this carefully when I was learning to think as a Christian man. Balance this with lots of other Biblical stuff. Tis the set O the saw blade of the mind that makes the worldview.

If you can work through this slow--do so!
Mike Jorgensen
Mar 22, 2015 Mike Jorgensen rated it it was amazing
One of the most influential books on my thinking. I do not agree with Bahnsen in all areas of his theology, but his mastery of Van Til's arguments makes this volume an essential for anyone serious abut presuppositionalism.
Eric Molicki
Jul 26, 2011 Eric Molicki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
A defining read for me on a Biblically-sound epistemology, cosmology, and apologetic methodology. Bahnsen's work makes Van Til's accessible by placing the readings in an understandable theological and philosophical framework. A must read for all aspiring theologians as far as I'm concerned.
Jay D
Jun 13, 2013 Jay D rated it really liked it
An excellent work to master to master the work of world views. Master this and never lose a debate again.
David
Apr 04, 2008 David rated it it was amazing
Van Til was a philosophical genius but less than stellar communicator. Greg Bahnsen was crucial for me to begin to get my mind around Van Til's work.
Jason Reclaimed
Mar 10, 2009 Jason Reclaimed rated it it was amazing
Van Til and Bahnsen present the Biblical approach to sharing your faith with unrivaled mastery. Nothing else in today's literature on the subject comes close.
Kent
Apr 18, 2012 Kent rated it it was amazing
A fine book. Bahnsen does a tremendous job of systematizing and proof-texting Van Til's superb apologetic.
John
Dec 25, 2007 John rated it really liked it
This is a segue into Van Tillian apologetics.
Bahnsen elucidates all of Van Til's ideas into this very comprehensive book.
References to most of Van Til's articles/books are found in this analysis.
Oscar Griffioen
Oscar Griffioen rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Thomas
Thomas rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2007
Taylor Bradley
Taylor Bradley rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2013
Andi
Andi rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2011
Brian Wiens
Brian Wiens rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2010
Sung
Sung rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
Ian Spencer
Ian Spencer rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
James Duane Nickel
James Duane Nickel rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2012
Neil
Neil rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2009
Paul Ferol
Paul Ferol rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2014
Davidand Nicole
Davidand Nicole rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
  • Covenantal Apologetics: Principles and Practice in Defense of Our Faith
  • Warranted Christian Belief
  • Redeeming Science: A God-Centered Approach
  • Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview
  • Classical Apologetics: A Rational Defense of the Christian Faith and a Critique of Presuppositional Apologetics
  • Five Views on Apologetics
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • The Institutes of Biblical Law, Volume 1 of 3
  • God Is. How Christianity Explains Everything
  • Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview
  • A Shot of Faith (to the Head): Be a Confident Believer in an Age of Cranky Atheists
  • The Ultimate Proof of Creation: Resolving the Origins Debate
  • Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments
  • Christianity and Liberalism
Greg L. Bahnsen was an influential Calvinist Christian philosopher, apologist, and debater. He was an ordained minister in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church and a full time Scholar in Residence for the Southern California Center for Christian Studies.
More about Greg L. Bahnsen...