Start by marking “Great Love Poems” as Want to Read:
Great Love Poems

Great Love Poems

Treasury of over 150 familiar poems by English and American poets, including a selection of Shakespeare's sonnets, John Donne's "The Ecstasy," William Blake's "The Garden of Love," as well as works by W. B. Yeats, Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, John Keats, John Milton, Robert Frost, and many more.
Published October 8th 1992 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about Great Love Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Love Poems

Ana Rînceanu
I've love having poetry read to me. The main reason is that, not having had poetry read to me as a child or teen, when I read poetry I can't find the rhythm of the verse. Since starting listening to audiobooks I find that I'm slowly fixing that and I can enjoy poetry more. This collection of classics is a great start for novices, but also for seasoned readers since each poem is read by a different narrator and brings something different to the table.
Paula
Sep 12, 2008 Paula rated it liked it
Decent collection of love poetry. It includes the standards, as well as a few I've never read before.

A couple criticisms about this collection, though. First, it was very heavy on 18th and 19th century British writers; sure, they are the "standards" but some additional variety (since the books explicitly states that it's a collection of British and American poets) would have been nice. Second, there were far too few women poets included. Again, considering the overwhelming concentration of 18th
Laura Verret
Recently I seem to have amassed quite a few collections of poetic love offerings and I’m not sure how it happened, because I’m not really a romantic. I guess it just must be my insatiable love of poetry…

I enjoyed this collection much more than A Little Treasury of Love Poems, possibly because I just enjoy the layout of Dover Thrift’s poetry books. I also think it was because there was a greater variety of poetry – few authors had more than one poem included. Also, the font was easier to concentr
Alex
Jan 27, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing
This is a great,simple little volume of fantastic love poems. It encapsulate love,desire,longing and grief so beautifully and effectively and compile some of the most resounding works by some of the greatest poets and its a very light and memorable little book good for the occasional skim for little reminders of the beauty of poetry and also great quotes for how you feel or have felt.
J. Alfred
Aug 23, 2010 J. Alfred rated it it was ok
I'm sort of picky when it comes to my love poems, so this wasn't my favorite collection: it seemed like half the poems in here are scorned-love poems, lost-love poems, or innuendo-laden poems, but are very few so to speak celebrations of love. Also, not a thing in here by Cummings, which is a tragedy. However, this volume did acquaint me with Henry King's "Exequy on his wife," which is sublime.
Becca
Jul 04, 2016 Becca rated it liked it
I read this collection of poetry for a reading challenge, category: a book out of my comfort zone. Boy, is this out of my comfort zone. I just don't get poetry. But I'm glad I tried and I did find a few poems that I did like.
Gary
Aug 11, 2013 Gary rated it liked it
I have read a lot of poetry and this collection of poems was nice, but, I would have enjoyed them more if they were published in a better than economy book. Easy to read and short, I read this book in a park under a big maple tree. It was a nice book to take in on a beautiful summer day.
Melissa
Sep 19, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing
A dear friend gave me this book in high school because she said it reminded her of me. It has some of my favorite poems and poets including Milton, Donne, Wordsworth, Scott, Whitman and Browning, to name a few.
Meredith
Very sweet and made me reminisce about all the old love poems
Leslie
Feb 14, 2012 Leslie marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Ms.Bianca Hutchins
Ms.Bianca Hutchins rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2007
Ruben Dario
Ruben Dario rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
Sayantan Dasgupta
Sayantan Dasgupta rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Rudolph Pascucci
Rudolph Pascucci rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2008
Dean Marais
Dean Marais rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Linton
Linton rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2009
Adam Driscoll
Adam Driscoll rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2008
maría
maría rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2007
Celia
Celia rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Marcella
Marcella rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2011
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Selected Poems
  • The World's Great Speeches
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • 101 Great American Poems
  • Speeches That Changed the World: The Stories and Transcripts of the Moments That Made History
  • Immortal Poems of the English Language
  • On Golden Pond
  • The 100 Best Poems of All Time
  • Windcatcher
  • Alive Together
  • When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered
  • The Unswept Room
  • Four Plays: Summer and Smoke / Orpheus Descending / Suddenly Last Summer / Period of Adjustment
  • Where You'll Find Me: And Other Stories
  • Dracula's Heir (Interactive Mysteries)
  • 1,000 Years of Irish Poetry