Start by marking “The Infinity Gate (Darkglass Mountain, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Infinity Gate (Darkglass Mountain, #3)

The Infinity Gate (Darkglass Mountain #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,005 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Sara Douglass has won leagues of fans worldwide for her epic tales of sorcery, forbidden love, and heart-pounding action. She revealed her biggest story yet with the DarkGlass Mountain saga, and now, at last, the dramatic finale to the epic trilogy!

Tencendor is no more. The land is gone. But a few SunSoars still remain, and a new foe walks the world.

Ishbel Brunelle, priest
Unknown Binding, 1st U.S. Edition, 533 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Eos (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Infinity Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Infinity Gate

The Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Black Prism by Brent WeeksTowers of Midnight by Robert JordanThe Desert Spear by Peter V. BrettThe Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding
2010 DGLA Fantasy Book Nominees
11th out of 48 books — 31 voters
Sabriel by Garth NixDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierObernewtyn by Isobelle CarmodyProgeny of Innocence by Patti RobertsThe Angels Are Here by Patti Roberts
Best Australian Fantasy Reads
106th out of 206 books — 117 voters

More lists with this book...

Sueij
Oh, but this was disappointing.

Sara Douglass has a whole slew of books set in this universe, some stand-alone novels and some series. I started into the universe with Book 1 of this trilogy (The Serpent Bride), but that's the 9th book in. I thought I was missing some history, so read its sequel (The Twisted Citadel) then went back and read four (so far) of the ones I'd missed. But this was just published and so I jumped back to the Darkglass Mountain books.

It still doesn't work for me. It still
R.M.
Sara is one of my all time favourite authors. I will not hesitate to buy one of her new releases and I have enjoyed all of her books... and I enjoyed this one, but I found myself slightly dissatisfied with this book...

This book was very plot driven. We've had two books to get to know a lot of characters, and I felt we really did get to know some of them quite well... but in this book it was nearly all action. Action, action, action. There was not many personal moments, and characters who were o
Eric Leblanc
Tami
I really enjoyed this book - enjoyed all of her books in these connected trilogies. I'm bummed because she leaves it open ended and the author is terminally ill. So no more. I guess I wanted more of ending seeing as she knew her situation. Does this make me sound heartless? I'm sorry if so, but I think we all have had that feeling of, oh no! don't let anything happen to them before they finish!
Sheila Otterstrom
Considering the health of Sara at the time of publication, I say GREAT READ! The world lost a fantastic storyteller and this is one of her last books...
Allison
Let me start by saying I'm really glad I read this book. I was intrigued after the first book, really excited and interested after the second book in the trilogy, and I was genuinely curious and interested about the ending to this book. However, I found this book to be mostly disappointing. I gave it 3 stars because I did find points in the book that were truly page-turning moments, and the author tied up all the loose ends in a mostly satisfying manner (while clearly intending to leave it open ...more
Shari  Mulluane
♦ What I Liked. Almost everything. The action is intense. The situation is grim and continues going from bad to much much worse. The characters, omg how do I even give full credit to the characters. They are so, well, human. Even the non-human races, including the gods. They lash out in anger and frustration, then regret their actions, often too late. They make mistakes both large and small, then reap the consequences. They are by turns arrogant and compassionate, bumbling and competent, motivat ...more
Trishy
Beaulah Pragg
I have been looking forward to reading the final book in this saga for some time and one thing I can say for sure about Sara Douglass is that she writes some pretty epic sagas. The 'final battle' took up most of this third book with it's intricacy and heart pounding action, much like the final book of the The Wayfarer Redemption.

Throughout this trilogy, I have really appreciated the character of Ishbel - priestess, queen, but ultimately just a really brave and sensible woman. She is by far the h
Amanda
ome things about this book were really enjoyable, honestly. The excitement, the unexpected plot twists, the edge-of-your-seat action that gripped me and kept me flipping pages up until the very end. The emotion, the power, the strength of the multi-faceted characters, along with the well-crafted words that painted a mystical and beautiful picture...The Infinity Gate has so many good things going for it, but, unfortunately, these things were overshadowed by other items that left me with some mixe ...more
Angevon
There are three scenes that make the book worth reading.

1. Ishbel's encounter with DarkGlass Mountain.
2. The attempt to free the souls trapped in Hairekeep.
3. Axis and the ice hex.

Aside from these scenes, this trilogy's finale is rather disappointing. We can, however, forgive Sara Douglass for this. We can see by the end of this volume that she intended this series as the starting point to another series, probably another trilogy. Unfortunately, she passed away before she could write it, and, as
Kimber
Well she did it again. Where does Sara Douglass come UP with this stuff????
The conclusion (or is it, she always leaves herself room for another one, which is fine with me) to the Darkglass Mountain trilogy is great, kept me salivating for more after every page. It got a tad slow in the end, she could have cut alot of the "waiting" out...but I was fine with it.
It's not the best of the series in my opinion, but that is still saying alot seeing as how my regard for the series is so high.
You don't
Jenny J
Sara Douglass did in 3 books what could have been better done in 1 long epic fantasy novel--the DarkGlass Mountain Trilogy was slow-moving, repetitive, and had few likable characters. But there was character growth, to some extent, and some moments of real beauty. The system of magic was interesting (if a bit too convenient, at times) and the whole idea of rebuilding a tower of memory was wonderful. I just could have done with a little less "my unborn child is going to change the world" and a LO ...more
Adellet
I thought this book was the weakest of the series. As much as I love Douglass and her fantasy worlds, this one had a bit too much magic of convenience in it.

There seemed to be no defined rules for the magic Maxel, Ishbel, Isaiah and the others could do - almost like she was making it up as she went along, allowing the characters to get out of sticky situations when necessary.

I found the story quite slow as well, a bit of a disappointing ending to an otherwise great epic - encompassing the Axis t
Lucas
So, I really liked the Tencendor books. I liked Threshold, and Beyond the Hanging Wall was ok. So combining them all together for Darkglass Mountain was probably a bad idea.

It started off good, I really enjoyed The Serpent Bride and The Twisted Citadel, but it just seemed like the last book was full of spots where she was written into a corner, and decided to invent something new into the universe to suddenly save the day. It just felt forced and disjointed.

It seems like she will definitely be
E2d2
I stuck through this series because the plot was intriguing, and I wanted to know what happened to one of the many characters. Unfortunately, the writing was inconsistent to the point of being distracting to the narrative. Almost all the characters were underdeveloped, and acted "out of character" at times. The plot and ideas had so much potential, but just didn't fit in Douglass's hand. If you want a fast throw-away fantasy series, then this is good. If you don't mind your characters suddenly d ...more
Charlotte
I didn't enjoy this 3rd book of the series (I won't call it the finale because she obviously left it open for another sequel) as much as I thought I would. Perhaps, as others have said, it was the focus on Axis that didn't pull me in. I've about had enough of him, especially since Douglass doesn't minimize his flaws. Why couldn't we have more of the strong female characters that usually highlight her books?
I still enjoyed it and was glad I read it, but it didn't live up to my expectations.
Lisa
Sandra
it was a good trilogy, but the last book wasnt up to the other books in this series. the first two seemed pretty good, even if not quite as good as the other books set in this world. but the third book definitely disappointed me. there are too many things going on and too many details left unanswered. sara douglass has introduced several elements here that not only seem contradictory to the rest of the world, but make the story line too "busy".
Katherine
Most of Douglass' books are standard fantasy pulp (swords, magic, hidden birthrights), but I have enjoyed some of them. Unfortunately, this one was a very disappointing book - full of plot holes, and characters which featured prominently but offered nothing to the story development and were then suddenly killed off, or just disappeared from the narrative. Unless you share my compulsion to finish series you start, I wouldn't bother with it.
Michelle Gross
Loved it. It was a fitting end to the series. I like how she tied different story lines together with this series. I loved the Axis books. It was great to see those characters mingled in with the Hanging Wall novel. I love her writing. All of her books have been can't-put-down. I loved the juit birds and Inardle's story. The story is well-fleshed-out. The characters are intriguing and you get to know them in her books.
Jami
I like how she brings all her different books together and a clear path for the next book in the series. It's a little hard to still see Axis in the staring role though, his character has paled and is becoming uniteresting. Even his unending conflict with the women he loves has become a bit stale. I really don't see how his character could surprise me in the next book and I find myself hoping he has a minor roll.
Erik
This was a dissapointing end to what had been a pretty good series. The entire series had taken a number of twists and turns, but this one just went right over the edge of good and into ugh territory. It also left more than a little possibility for more books, and that doesn't make me happy after the Starman series, in which the first 3 books were great, and the last three sucked.
Angela
Sep 07, 2012 Angela added it
Exciting, enjoyable and absolutely impossible to put down, especially if you read the eight books that preceded The Infinity Gate.

More than ever, I am excited by Douglass' way of leaving off so obviously that there will be more adventures to come while giving away absolutely no idea of exactly what those adventures might be.

Kudos, Sara. You finished this trilogy wonderfully.
Annette
Wow, what a great trilogy this has been. So many wonderful and rich characters. Great definition between races: humans, Icarii, Lealfast, Skraelings; gods, immortals, mortals. Such fantastic texture in Douglass' writing.

This is the only series of hers I have read, but now am interested in the rest.

Highly recommended.
Grnathyna
I give up. This is torture. Just having the name Elcho Falling show up three times per page is enough to drive me batty.

I'll give it another go in a marathon of rereading the first two. The plot lines and characters are too muddied to remember years later.
Adam
I thought the ending was a little soft, book 1,2 and 3 had such a build up, it was disapointed that its over and i was left wanting more. Needed a bigger bag for the finale, unless of course there will be a continuation.

Still a fantastic series!
Candace
This was a good ending to this series. I had no idea how it was going to end, and I really liked the side story of the skraelings. I think I am tired of the Axis series though. I think the Troy Game has left me wanting more from Sara.
Brian
A solid ending to the trilogy. It started fast and kept you in the story throughout. It did get a bit cumbersome in mid-story, but that didn't change the solid nature of the story and the outstanding vision and writing.
Karen
The Infinity Gate is a great conclusion to yet another fabulous Sara Douglass' trilogy. I just wish there were going to be more books in this world in the future. Sara's skill and passion as an author will be greatly missed.
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • The Silver Mage (Deverry, #15; The Dragon Mage, #7)
  • Chaos Space (Sentients of Orion, #2)
  • Dark is the Moon (The View from the Mirror, #3)
  • Odalisque (Percheron, #1)
  • Ravensoul (Legends of the Raven, #4)
  • Once Upon a Spring Morn (Faery Series, #4)
  • The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6)
  • An Echo in Time: Atlantis (The Ancient Future, #2)
  • Traitors' Gate (Crossroads, #3)
  • The Devil's Mixtape
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
Douglass was born in Penola, South Australia. She attended Annesley College, in Wayville, a suburb of Adelaide. She studied for her BA while working as a Registered Nurse, and later completed her PhD in early modern English History. She became a lecturer in medieval history at La Trobe University, Bendigo. While there she completed her first novel, BattleAxe, which launched her as a popular fantas ...more
More about Sara Douglass...
The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1) Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2) Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3) Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4) Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5)