Start by marking “Blacksad (Blacksad, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blacksad (Blacksad, #1)

Blacksad (Blacksad #1)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,423 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Meet John Blacksad, a cat in the shadows. Imagine New York as a city of criminal rats, jazz-playing gorillas and rhino thugs. Enter a mystery where the suspects have tails. Find out why comics' biggest names are wild about one of the freshest graphic novels in years—a 2005 Eisner and Harvey Award nominee. Enter the world of Blacksad.

Natalia Wilford is a famous actress. To

Published September 1st 2005 by ibooks graphic novels (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Blacksad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blacksad

Maus by Art SpiegelmanMouse Guard by David PetersenBlacksad by Juan Díaz CanalesMaus, II by Art SpiegelmanGrandville by Bryan Talbot
Anthropomorphic Animal ComicBooks
3rd out of 137 books — 22 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreSaga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanLocke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe HillMaus, II by Art SpiegelmanMaus, I by Art Spiegelman
Greatest Graphic Novels
30th out of 270 books — 97 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul
Okay, okay... I'm sold. For a couple of years I've been hearing about how good the Blacksad graphic novels are, but the world is made out of hype and I'm tired of chewing it, so I wasn't biting this time.

Recently, though, I ran across the graphic novels at Periscope Studios, where I work, and since they're hard boiled detective fiction, and that's what I was in the mood for, I brought them home and read them.

And, yeah, they're fantastic.

Juan Diaz Canales hits all the right chords for detectiv
Willem van den Oever
With police cruisers parked outside along the driveway of a colonial home, a private detective is leaning over the corpse of a young movie starlet. Next to the private eye, the chief of police keeps hammering into him when the detective last saw the young woman and later warns him to keep out of this one. It’s police work. The detective pulls up the collar of his trench coat, tells the chief to go to hell and walks out.
Blacksad’ starts off like any pulp novel from the 1950’s. The dialogue is sn
João Carlos

“Blacksad – Algures Entre as Sombras”, primeiro livro de banda desenhada de dois jovens autores espanhóis, Díaz Canales (n. 1972), argumentista e Guarnido (n. 1967), desenhador, numa publicação conjunta do jornal Público/Edições Asa, Volume 3 da “Colecção Grandes Autores de Banda Desenhada” editada em 2008 em Portugal, num volume que engloba dois álbuns - “Blacksad – Algures Entre as Sombras” e “Blacksad – Artic - Nation”.

John Blacksad investiga a morte da famosa actriz Natália Wilford, com quem
Malapata
"Hay mañanas en las que cuesta más trabajo digerir el desayuno. Sobre todo si amaneces frente al cadáver de un viejo amor." Un comienzo así es toda una declaración de intenciones: estamos ante una historia de género negro que sigue los esquemas clásicos, protagonizada por un detective descreído para el que el caso es algo personal. Después de leer estas primeras frases lo siguiente que siente el lector es asombro ante el esmerado dibujo de Juanjo Garnido, una auténtica maravilla, y su genial uso ...more
Raquel
May 13, 2015 Raquel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Raquel by: my brother
Blacksad, com argumento de Juan Díaz Canales e desenho de Juanjo Guarnido, trata-se de uma série de banda desenhada espanhola (embora o target seja sobretudo o público francês), que acompanha John Blacksad, um detective privado.

O volume 1, Blacksad – Algures entre as sombras, apresenta o protagonista e segue a investigação do assassinato da famosa actriz Natalia Wilford, com quem Blacksad se envolveu na altura em que trabalhava como seu guarda-costa.

A série situa-se na América dos anos 50, num a
Philippe Lhoste
Un livre déjà réputé, ce qui soulève souvent chez moi un peu de suspicion...
Une BD animalière, un genre que je prise peu, à quelques rares exceptions près (Usagi Yojimbo, les Macherot...).

Et pourtant, cela prend. L'histoire est ultra-classique, un polar dans les règles de l'art, où on n'évite pas les clichés, on les embrasse sans qu'ils soient un carcan. L'intérêt est souvent dans l'intrique et dans la narration, languissante ou palpitante selon les moments. Bien raconté.
Le dessin n'est animalie
Pranay
One of the first thing that hits you about the graphic novel is the brilliant art (Guarnido). It is just too awesome and in my opinion one of the finest. The story revolves around Jean Blacksad who is investigating the murder of his ex-flame a famous actress. The set up is the noir style and the story moves at a good pace to keep you hooked. However the story(by Canales) is a bit predictable and what could have lifted the entire novel a notch would be to see Blacksad's detective skills. He gets ...more
Ryan Mishap
Spaniards obsessed with noir, racial oppression in the United States, and McCarthyism. Weird. Oh, and the characters are all anthropomorphic animals--Blacksad himself being a cat. The stories are okay but they are shallow raking across ground already dug deep.

Every panel, however, could be a painting hanging in a gallery. So much beautiful care wasted on human-shaped animals. Sigh.

This totally got dinged for one of my mystery-crime pet peeves: showing the dead body of a woman (a cat woman in t
Sara  (LitHacker.com)
Basic noir plot with clunky dialog.

Beautiful art that elevates the story.

Fun to see how this first attempt is succeeded by increasingly masterful art and writing!
Fredrik Strömberg
Rereading this, the very first album as a preparation for reading the latest volumes in this series. I must admit to being biased here, as a long-time fan of both film noire and anthropomorphic comics, but what Dias Canales and Guarnido has created goes beyond these interests. This is pure comics art.

The story is well-written, playing with the age-old theme of the lone detective, but adding new twists to it, especially in the guise of the various animals that the characters have been based on a
Ricardo Alves
Lembremos as sombras de Alack Sinner e a virulência de Torpedo 1936. Vamos encontrá-las em Blacksad, com a particularidade de os episódios de violência, sexo & outros vícios serem protagonizadas por personagens antropomorfizadas, saídas do lápis de um desenhador da Disney -- e Guarnido foi-o, em tempos. Do meu conhecimento, havia Canardo, que já entrara por aí; mas o pato era uma espécie de Columbo de penas, um pouco mais ébrio e atrevido. Claro, que o autor que mais longe levou o antropomor ...more
Tamahome

Um, the one I saw has a guy drowning on the cover. Kind of like Raymond Chandler noir with animals. But damn the art is nice. Think of those detailed backgrounds in old Disney animated movies. Just read a little bit so far. Apparently it's a big hit in Europe and just got translated into English.

Ok, wrong volume. I reviewed the French version of volume 4: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Suvi
Jun 10, 2013 Suvi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Even though this is gorgeously drawn (making it flow like a movie) and I love the whole 1950s detective world, the actual content and plot aren't very challenging. I also can't really see the point of the characters being animals, since they do everything what humans do. I'm still going to read the others too, but they're mostly going to be little snacks whenever I don't feel like reading a book.
carl caesar
Una gran historia "típica" de novela policíaca con los ingredientes justos para hacerla fantástica. La historia engancha lo suficiente, aún que a mi gusto el tomo se hace excesivamente corto. Pero lo mejor es sin duda el fantástico dibujo, movimiento, color, diseño de personajes y el ambiente.

Francamente espectacular y necesario.
João  Cardeira Jorge
Words fail me to express just how sublime “Blacksad” is. The art is simply magnificent, every page a masterpiece, with amazing detail and fantastic use of color. The drawings are beautiful, stylish and a perfect fit with the genre. “Blacksad” is all about noir. The title character is a hard boiled private detective wearing a trench-coat and taking on an investigation involving powerful people who want it buried even if they have to bury him along with it. Did I mention Blacksad is a cat? Every c ...more
Madeleine
Dec 10, 2010 Madeleine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of noir fiction. And animals.
Shelves: graphic-novel
Wonderfully written with beautiful art, Blacksad is your typical noir story and tone but with cute wittle animals!! Seriously, though, although I say it's your "typical noir" that doesn't mean it's cliche or uninteresting and although I do love cute animals, they aren't a gimmick to make this stand out from other noir stories.
Blacksad is a dark story (noir! duh!) that, by using human-esque animals (don't remember what it's called when you give animals human traits. Anthropomorphizing?) the story
R.
Pour préparer la sortie du cinquième tome de Blacksad, j'ai entrepris de relire les précédents. Cette nouvelle lecture a produit sur moi la même impression qu'il y a des années — une dizaine — lorsque j'avais découvert ce qui n'était pas encore une série. Une grande claque. Graphiquement le résultat est époustouflant: le raffinement des dessins, leurs détails, la représentation des intérieurs avec des points de vue audacieux en plongée notamment. Le bureau de Blacksad, cette pièce surchargée de ...more
Jamie
An odd European album that sort of posits what would have happened had Raymond Chandler written for Disney. The story is what you expect, and excellently written as such by Juan Diaz Canales. Private detective Blacksad's former lover is killed, and finding her murderer becomes his personal mission. The thing that really sells the book, however, is Guardino's beautiful drawing. The lush coloring and detail of European comics married to classical anthropomorphic cartooning, creating a sort of beig ...more
Zorena
This is definitely noir. Enough so that I think even Chandler would admire it and while the story is the stuff of pulp fiction, the artwork is what really creates this immersive world.

This also stars a cat as a detective and no not in the Rita Mae Brown manner. Thank God. This actually works and not only works, it excels. I could go on and on about the marriage of the art to the narrative in this graphic novel but I think it's best experienced first hand.

The first and third stories are superb.
Saoirse
Excellent! Cela faisait longtemps que j'entendais parler de cette BD mais je n'avais jamais pris le temps de la lire. C'est chose faite et je dois dire que j'ai beaucoup aimé. Les dessins sont superbes et le fait que les personnages soient représentés par des animaux ne m'a pas gêné du tout. J'ai adoré l'ambiance "polar" très bien rendue, l'enquête est sympa sans être très originale, c'est rythmé. Bref un gros coup de coeur!
Lawrence Denes
The art is seriously lovely. And I love the concept in general. Unfortunately, the writing and the plot don't do justice to the artist's work. The characters are pretty straightforward archetypes. Nothing too complicated or challenging. But, like I said, the artwork and the world depicted are enough to keep me interested, and I'll definitely be checking out the next book in the series.
Dahlia
While I loved the idea behind this book (a mix between fables and film noir, resulting in anthropomorphic characters in a heavy atmosphere) and its graphism, I was left unsatisfied by the story and its obvious lack of depth.
This graphic novel is enjoyable though and full of potential. I can only hope the rest of the series goes more under the surface.
Helena
Dit was een teleurstelling. Ik had zoveel positieve reviews gelezen over deze comic. Blijkt dit eerste volume toch wel niet de standaard "woman in a refrigerator" trope te gebruiken? Daarbij heb ik gemerkt dat het noir genre mij niet zo goed ligt, dus dat komt er nog eens bij. De 2/5 is vooral voor het tekenwerk.
David
Jan 16, 2011 David rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comix
Can't say I'm a big fan of the anthropomorphic genre, but I heard great things about this book and was excited to receive it as a gift.

The art is drop-dead gorgeous and the layouts are beautifully cinematic. The stories are hard-boiled crime and contain some great twists and turns that caught me by surprise - in a good way.

The use of animals here does not relate to race, rather it is used to embody and accentuate the personalities and values of the characters. Race does play a pivotal role in on
Jennifer Taw
This is phenomenal, a gorgeous, lush graphic noir with a film-worthy story and art that is so detailed, beautiful, and rich that it requires going through the book again, after reading it, just to look at each stunning cel.
Jenny Ng
Stumbled across this lord knows how many years ago while randomly browsing a Barnes & Noble. I remember falling deeply in love with it, primarily cause it resembled Disney's Tale Spin, but as a gorgeously rendered film noir.

Other than that, there's nothing unique about it. I was happy to hear it was thrice Eisner nominated, which means it's well-known and recognized. Given the dozens of languages it's been translated into, it won't have to fear for popularity. The creators are Spanish, but t
Ryan
Incredible...much better than I originally predicted. The anthropomorphism actually makes the book what it is. The animals are not arbitrarily picked; they actually symbolise the personality of the character so that when John Blacksad is followed down a dark alley, you're not too surprised when the dim streetlight shows that it's a lizard on his tail (no pun intended)...and Blacksad is quite the badass when needed.

Great storytelling...superb art and coloring...I hope they keep translating these
Silviia
Questo fumetto ci porta nelle strade di una New York anni '50, con un detective privato pronto a risolvere ad ogni costo l'omicidio di una sua ex-fiamma.
I disegni sono stupendi grazie all'animatore della Disney, Juanjo Guarnido, le espressioni assunte da ogni personaggio sono più che reali.
Consigliatissimo.
Francisco Aguilar
Historia muy clásica con todo los tópicos y personajes del genero de detectives. Muy buen dibujo.
José Nebreda
Cuando dibujo y guión combinan como una partida de tetris bien jugada. Una maravilla.
  • Le Secret du janissaire (De Cape et de Crocs, #1)
  • Ce qui est précieux (Le combat ordinaire, #3)
  • Coeur de canard (Donjon Zénith,#1)
  • Idées noires : L'intégrale
  • Alinoë (Thorgal, #8)
  • Lady Vivian Hastings (Long John Silver, #1)
  • Peter Pan: Mains rouges (Peter Pan, #4)
  • Le Groupe W (Largo Winch, #2)
  • Portugal
  • L'énigme de l'Atlantide (Blake et Mortimer, #7)
  • Murena, Tome 1 : La pourpre et l'or
  • XIII - Volume 1: The Day of the Black Sun
  • Wake: Gearing Up (Sillage, #3)
Juan Díaz Canales is a Spanish comics artist and an animated film director, known as the co-creator of Blacksad.
More about Juan Díaz Canales...

Blacksad (5 books)
  • Arctic-Nation (Blacksad, #2)
  • Âme rouge (Blacksad, #3)
  • L'Enfer, le silence (Blacksad, #4)
  • Amarillo (Blacksad, #5)
Blacksad Arctic-Nation (Blacksad, #2) L'Enfer, le silence (Blacksad, #4) Âme rouge (Blacksad, #3) Amarillo (Blacksad, #5)