Start by marking “Blacksad (Blacksad, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blacksad (Blacksad, #1)

Blacksad (Blacksad #1)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  2,311 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
Meet John Blacksad, a cat in the shadows. Imagine New York as a city of criminal rats, jazz-playing gorillas and rhino thugs. Enter a mystery where the suspects have tails. Find out why comics' biggest names are wild about one of the freshest graphic novels in years—a 2005 Eisner and Harvey Award nominee. Enter the world of Blacksad.

Natalia Wilford is a famous actress. To

Published September 1st 2005 by ibooks graphic novels (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Blacksad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blacksad

Artemiy Nizovtsev
Blacksad is a very well-drawn book with a very boring, predictable and by-the-numbers story, with the only twist being those awful, AWFUL anthropomorphic talking animals as characters. This is something I hate in almost any story, and here I just couldn't get over it as well. I thought I'd read the whole hardcover collection, but after finishing this first chapter I just couldn't force myself to continue reading. So, not my cuppa.
Sofia
Jan 04, 2017 Sofia rated it really liked it

My first Blacksad on the recommendation of Ije, whom I thank.

I loved the sketches which eliminate the need for words being so full of detail.

Blacksad version of hardboiled noir went down a treat. Going on more more.
description/>

Fitting into slot 10 of Lena's reading challenge. A book with a cat on the cover.
Paul
Feb 22, 2009 Paul rated it really liked it
Okay, okay... I'm sold. For a couple of years I've been hearing about how good the Blacksad graphic novels are, but the world is made out of hype and I'm tired of chewing it, so I wasn't biting this time.

Recently, though, I ran across the graphic novels at Periscope Studios, where I work, and since they're hard boiled detective fiction, and that's what I was in the mood for, I brought them home and read them.

And, yeah, they're fantastic.

Juan Diaz Canales hits all the right chords for detectiv
Willem van den Oever
With police cruisers parked outside along the driveway of a colonial home, a private detective is leaning over the corpse of a young movie starlet. Next to the private eye, the chief of police keeps hammering into him when the detective last saw the young woman and later warns him to keep out of this one. It’s police work. The detective pulls up the collar of his trench coat, tells the chief to go to hell and walks out.
Blacksad’ starts off like any pulp novel from the 1950’s. The dialogue is sn
Ryan Mishap
Dec 31, 2010 Ryan Mishap rated it it was ok
Spaniards obsessed with noir, racial oppression in the United States, and McCarthyism. Weird. Oh, and the characters are all anthropomorphic animals--Blacksad himself being a cat. The stories are okay but they are shallow raking across ground already dug deep.

Every panel, however, could be a painting hanging in a gallery. So much beautiful care wasted on human-shaped animals. Sigh.

This totally got dinged for one of my mystery-crime pet peeves: showing the dead body of a woman (a cat woman in t
Книжни Криле
Преди камара години от Студио Арт Лайн издадоха „Блексед 1: Някъде сред сенките”, който определено е един от най-красивите, най-стойностните и най-непреходни комикси, които някога са виждали печат у нас. Нещо повече, Блексед е един от най-добрите и епични комикси изобщо, в световната комикс история. Не преувеличавам ни най-малко. Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни Криле:

Alan
Jul 14, 2010 Alan rated it it was amazing
I would not have thought anyone could have told an excellent noir story using anthropomorphism, but these creators did it. While a brief tale, we get to join PI Blacksad on an emotional journey that can leave one almost as dejected as the PI himself. There are no winners, and everyone loses something (life, love, idealism, etc.)
Pablo Bueno
Aug 09, 2016 Pablo Bueno rated it it was amazing
Impresionante. La historia está genial, pero no puedo por menos que destacar la expresividad del dibujo.
Héloïse
Oct 26, 2016 Héloïse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J'adore ! Le style, l'univers, l'ambiance, ont est complètement dedans ! Vite la suite !
João  Cardeira Jorge
Jun 20, 2013 João Cardeira Jorge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! Really, everyone!
Words fail me to express just how sublime “Blacksad” is. The art is simply magnificent, every page a masterpiece, with amazing detail and fantastic use of color. The drawings are beautiful, stylish and a perfect fit with the genre. “Blacksad” is all about noir. The title character is a hard boiled private detective wearing a trench-coat and taking on an investigation involving powerful people who want it buried even if they have to bury him along with it. Did I mention Blacksad is a cat? Every c ...more
Ghiomara Beov
Me gusto mucho, aunque la historia es pequeñita es la clásica historia de novela negra, el detective venido a menos y la rubia platino. Pero lo que más me gusto fue el diseño del dibujo, las expresiones están geniales. En fin voy por los otro cuatro títulos
Raquel Dias da Silva
Dec 01, 2016 Raquel Dias da Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Raquel by: my brother
Blacksad, com argumento de Juan Díaz Canales e desenho de Juanjo Guarnido, trata-se de uma série de banda desenhada espanhola (embora o target seja sobretudo o público francês), que acompanha John Blacksad, um detective privado.

O volume 1, Blacksad – Algures entre as sombras, apresenta o protagonista e segue a investigação do assassinato da famosa actriz Natalia Wilford, com quem Blacksad se envolveu na altura em que trabalhava como seu guarda-costa.

A série situa-se na América dos anos 50, num a
Malapata
Apr 14, 2014 Malapata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
"Hay mañanas en las que cuesta más trabajo digerir el desayuno. Sobre todo si amaneces frente al cadáver de un viejo amor." Un comienzo así es toda una declaración de intenciones: estamos ante una historia de género negro que sigue los esquemas clásicos, protagonizada por un detective descreído para el que el caso es algo personal. Después de leer estas primeras frases lo siguiente que siente el lector es asombro ante el esmerado dibujo de Juanjo Garnido, una auténtica maravilla, y su genial uso ...more
Philippe Lhoste
Jan 15, 2011 Philippe Lhoste rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd-europ-enne
Un livre déjà réputé, ce qui soulève souvent chez moi un peu de suspicion...
Une BD animalière, un genre que je prise peu, à quelques rares exceptions près (Usagi Yojimbo, les Macherot...).

Et pourtant, cela prend. L'histoire est ultra-classique, un polar dans les règles de l'art, où on n'évite pas les clichés, on les embrasse sans qu'ils soient un carcan. L'intérêt est souvent dans l'intrique et dans la narration, languissante ou palpitante selon les moments. Bien raconté.
Le dessin n'est animalie
Pranay
Nov 15, 2012 Pranay rated it really liked it
One of the first thing that hits you about the graphic novel is the brilliant art (Guarnido). It is just too awesome and in my opinion one of the finest. The story revolves around Jean Blacksad who is investigating the murder of his ex-flame a famous actress. The set up is the noir style and the story moves at a good pace to keep you hooked. However the story(by Canales) is a bit predictable and what could have lifted the entire novel a notch would be to see Blacksad's detective skills. He gets ...more
Tamahome

Um, the one I saw has a guy drowning on the cover. Kind of like Raymond Chandler noir with animals. But damn the art is nice. Think of those detailed backgrounds in old Disney animated movies. Just read a little bit so far. Apparently it's a big hit in Europe and just got translated into English.

Ok, wrong volume. I reviewed the French version of volume 4: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
carl caesar
May 19, 2013 carl caesar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cómics
Una gran historia "típica" de novela policíaca con los ingredientes justos para hacerla fantástica. La historia engancha lo suficiente, aún que a mi gusto el tomo se hace excesivamente corto. Pero lo mejor es sin duda el fantástico dibujo, movimiento, color, diseño de personajes y el ambiente.

Francamente espectacular y necesario.
Suvi
Jun 10, 2013 Suvi rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Even though this is gorgeously drawn (making it flow like a movie) and I love the whole 1950s detective world, the actual content and plot aren't very challenging. I also can't really see the point of the characters being animals, since they do everything what humans do. I'm still going to read the others too, but they're mostly going to be little snacks whenever I don't feel like reading a book.
Silvia Pastorelli
Beautiful classic noir story, the characters are great, but the real star here are the drawings: the figures are amazing, I love the coloring and the composition! I can't wait to read the next chapters, Blacksad is a beautiful discovery!
Sandra
Jan 01, 2016 Sandra rated it liked it
This looks so intriguing so far! Beautiful style, script and a very promising continuation of the story! Looking forward to read more
Oliver Bateman
Feb 18, 2015 Oliver Bateman rated it really liked it
As far as this Blacksad, and all of the others go: triumphant art, crummy translation, mediocre stories (at least until you get to Amarillo, which is actually pretty freaking great).
Sara
Apr 24, 2015 Sara rated it liked it
Basic noir plot with clunky dialog.

Beautiful art that elevates the story.

Fun to see how this first attempt is succeeded by increasingly masterful art and writing!
Juliana Poggi
Jun 26, 2016 Juliana Poggi rated it it was amazing
Sensacional! Ilustração dos personagens extremamente expressiva. Bem desenvolvidos e cativantes...difícil largar.
Court
Dec 09, 2015 Court rated it really liked it
Dirty, dark and gritty...just like reading a Mike Hammer or Raymond Chandler novel. I loved it!
Guillem Plà Quiles
An exceptional delight for art lovers and noir freaks...
أحمد
Apr 29, 2016 أحمد rated it liked it
A nice noir story with amazing art. Really liked the animal references.
Javier Muñoz
Blacksad es un cómic que utiliza animales antropomórficos como personajes en una historia de serie negra, esto sirve para que asociemos características de los animales en los personajes con lo cual podemos adivinar bastantes de sus rasgos de personalidad en la primera viñeta que aparecen. Es un recurso que ya nos suena de otras obras pero que aquí está muy bien conseguido por el soberbio dibujo de Guarnido, que consigue capturar expresiones y sentimientos en las caras de distintos animales a la ...more
reea
Dec 28, 2016 reea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Az érzelmeim mindezek dacára egyértelműek, szerelem volt első látásra, s míg a többiek társasoztak - nagyjából az első tíz percben kiestem -, én átszellemülten olvastam, és csodáltam a kötetet. Képtelen voltam betelni vele, és még most is hasonlóan érzek.

Carlos
Dec 06, 2016 Carlos rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I really liked the art, the story is somewhat plain and predictable but still pretty enjoyable. I don't usually read comics where anthropomorphic beings abound but this comic is as good as it can be and I would gladly recommend it to anyone who like detective comics.
Lelivrosaure
2.5 / 5

It was okay. I really like the drawing and the fact that the characters are animals but the story was to short for me to really get interested in it.
  • Ce qui est précieux (Le combat ordinaire, #3)
  • Le Secret du janissaire (De Cape et de Crocs, #1)
  • Le Labyrinthe d'Émeraude (Long John Silver, #3)
  • Coeur de canard (Donjon Zénith,#1)
  • Idées noires : L'intégrale
  • Le Pays Qâ (Thorgal, #10)
  • La Marque du Diable (Le Scorpion, #1)
  • Peter Pan #4 : Mains rouges
  • Le Rige (La Quête de l'oiseau du temps, #3)
  • XIII: Tome 2: Là où va l'Indien
  • Betelgeuse: L'intégrale (Bételgeuse #1-5)
Juan Díaz Canales is a Spanish comics artist and an animated film director, known as the co-creator of Blacksad.
More about Juan Díaz Canales...

Blacksad (5 books)
  • Arctic-Nation (Blacksad, #2)
  • Âme rouge (Blacksad, #3)
  • L'Enfer, le silence (Blacksad, #4)
  • Amarillo (Blacksad, #5)