Start by marking “Soldiers and Slaves: American POWs Trapped by the Nazis' Final Gamble” as Want to Read:
Soldiers and Slaves: American POWs Trapped by the Nazis' Final Gamble

Soldiers and Slaves: American POWs Trapped by the Nazis' Final Gamble

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In February of 1945, 350 American POWs, selected because they were Jews, thought to resemble Jews or simply by malicious caprice, were transported by cattle car to Berga, a concentration camp in eastern Germany. Here, the soldiers were worked to death, starved and brutalized; more than twenty percent died from this horrific treatment.

This is one of the last untold stories
Published April 11th 2006 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Soldiers and Slaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soldiers and Slaves

Annie Oosterwyk
This book follows two groups of prisoners as they experience "the final solution" of the Nazi war machine during the final months of WWII.
One group is Jewish (or suspected of being Jewish) American POWs who are captured and removed from the American POW camp and sent to Berga concentration camp to dig tunnels for the Nazis. The plan is to create an underground synthetic fuel factory since the Allies are destroying those above ground.
The other group is the Jews from Hungary. These are the last f
Marylou
Mar 04, 2015 Marylou rated it it was ok
This was one of the most confusing books that I've read in a long time. Roger Cohen was making an effort I think to bring into focus a horrible unjustice from World War II. However, in doing so he lost his way by not sorting the men out somehow. I'm not sure how it should have been done, but it could have been done better than he did it. Several times while reading this book I wanted to stop reading it Something always pulled me back ... perhaps the German blood in me felt guilty ...

As far as I
Kate
Interesting account of what the 350 US prisoners-of-war (and some European concentration camp prisoners went through) at and after the labor camp of Berga. I'm not sure how the author chose the (Jewish) Hungarian civilians profiled in this story, which was not woven back in with the story of the American Soldiers until 2/3rds of the way through the book, and even then it was just a mention that they both happened to be at the same camp and did not interact.

We're familiar with the concept of conc
David
May 03, 2015 David rated it really liked it
It is interesting to see the collision of two groups of Jews who had remained largely untouched by the War until quite late, the American Jewish Soldiers and the Hungarian Jews. The Hungarians had managed to protect their Jewish population from deportation almost until the whole country was about to be overrun by the advancing Soviet forces. This is also a story which must bring up the question of fanaticism, when do you finally let you and accept that you have lost, that you were wrong? This is ...more
Shawn
Aug 25, 2015 Shawn rated it it was amazing
It is amazing how humans act and react in conflict. A must read to get perspective on the horror of war.
Jenika
Feb 26, 2009 Jenika rated it really liked it
Cohen is to be respected for the effort he made to bring to light the little known horrors of a small almost forgotten camp in Nazi Germany where boys and young men were literally starved, beaten, tortured and worked to death. Through the memories of a half dozen survivors he takes his readers through their lives with their loved ones, with each other and with their brutal captors. This is the first book of its kind I have read and at times I had to stop and reflect and send a healing prayer to ...more
Kathy
Jul 06, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Amazing history lesson.......
Jodi Teeple Christophe
Jan 19, 2015 Jodi Teeple Christophe rated it it was amazing
One of the best WWII books I've read in years - and I've read more than my fair share.
Trebor
Apr 29, 2012 Trebor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well researched and detailed true story. These U.S. soldiers were put in slave labor camps and worked to death along with Europeans Jews and anyone else the Nazi's deemed subhuman. In contrast, the Americans treated POW's more like guests than prisoners. Our camps were often referred to as "the Fritz Ritz". Brutality and barbarism not too long ago. Beware of the dark side of nationalism!
Bethanyweed
Jul 19, 2016 Bethanyweed rated it liked it
A fairly good book-boring in some spots, just skipped through it... but it tells an extremely unique situation at the end of WW2, where American prisoners of war literally became part of the Holocaust, in a slave labor camp identical to any other concentration camp. So even though it's a bit slow going in some spots, it's worth the read.
Jenny T
Apr 14, 2009 Jenny T rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009, history
A devastating account of a little-known concentration/work camp in Germany where 350 American soldiers were sent in February 1945. My heart goes out to the veterans who live every day with memories of this terrible time.
Matty
May 07, 2010 Matty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ww2, military, jewish
Very interesting. Fascinating due to content of rare info of the small amount of American POWs in Nazi concentration camps. German American; Americans of many religious creeds.
Robert Colquhoun
Jun 16, 2010 Robert Colquhoun rated it really liked it
An interesting piece of relatively unknown WWII history. Yet another example of just how brutal and disgusting the Nazi Solution truly was. Definitely worth the read.
John
May 13, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1history, box6
Excellent and readable history of a little known atrocity that took place in WW2. Before this book I knew nothing of it. Good read, highly recommened.
Victoria
Feb 23, 2013 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
As i read this book, it made me cry. The horror of the Holocaust is overwhelming. I keep thinking how can people be this cruel?
Jeffrey
Sep 24, 2012 Jeffrey rated it liked it
Story of American pows put into forced labor and forced to work in a concentration camp. A good read. Historically educational.
Cheryl
Jan 26, 2016 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: wwii, non-fiction
This was about a little known Nazi camp that used American Jewish POW's as slave labor and the aftermath
Jenny
Sep 15, 2007 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I read a lot of WWII history materials.
Wendy Hollister
Feb 09, 2010 Wendy Hollister rated it really liked it
non fiction.
muraguri
muraguri marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Ana-Maria Bujor
Ana-Maria Bujor marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Jonathan Isley
Jonathan Isley marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Dylan Love
Dylan Love marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Hmalowski
Hmalowski marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Steve Parcell
Steve Parcell marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Prasannah Ganeshan
Prasannah Ganeshan marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
  • Executed on a Technicality: Lethal Injustice on America's Death Row
  • Bananas!: How The United Fruit Company Shaped the World
  • Dying to Cross: The Worst Immigrant Tragedy in American History
  • The Gaol: The Story of Newgate, London's Most Notorious Prison
  • Red Orchestra: The Story of the Berlin Underground and the Circle of Friends Who Resisted Hitler
  • Indjáninn
  • In the Place of Justice: A Story of Punishment and Deliverance
  • Fingerprints: The Origins of Crime Dectection and the Murder Case That Launched Forensic Science
  • Plenty Enough Suck to Go Around
  • The Great Fire of London: In That Apocalyptic Year, 1666
  • The Girls of Room 28: Friendship, Hope, and Survival in Theresienstadt
  • The Conquerors: Roosevelt, Truman & the Destruction of Hitler's Germany 1941-45
  • Some Survived: An Eyewitness Account of the Bataan Death March and the Men Who Lived through It
  • Moonshot: The Inside Story of Mankind's Greatest Adventure