Start by marking “Soldiers and Slaves: American POWs Trapped by the Nazis' Final Gamble” as Want to Read:
Soldiers and Slaves: American POWs Trapped by the Nazis' Final Gamble

Soldiers and Slaves: American POWs Trapped by the Nazis' Final Gamble

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In February of 1945, 350 American POWs, selected because they were Jews, thought to resemble Jews or simply by malicious caprice, were transported by cattle car to Berga, a concentration camp in eastern Germany. Here, the soldiers were worked to death, starved and brutalized; more than twenty percent died from this horrific treatment.

This is one of the last untold stories
Published April 11th 2006 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Soldiers and Slaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soldiers and Slaves

Annie Oosterwyk
This book follows two groups of prisoners as they experience "the final solution" of the Nazi war machine during the final months of WWII.
One group is Jewish (or suspected of being Jewish) American POWs who are captured and removed from the American POW camp and sent to Berga concentration camp to dig tunnels for the Nazis. The plan is to create an underground synthetic fuel factory since the Allies are destroying those above ground.
The other group is the Jews from Hungary. These are the last f
This was one of the most confusing books that I've read in a long time. Roger Cohen was making an effort I think to bring into focus a horrible unjustice from World War II. However, in doing so he lost his way by not sorting the men out somehow. I'm not sure how it should have been done, but it could have been done better than he did it. Several times while reading this book I wanted to stop reading it Something always pulled me back ... perhaps the German blood in me felt guilty ...

As far as I
Interesting account of what the 350 US prisoners-of-war (and some European concentration camp prisoners went through) at and after the labor camp of Berga. I'm not sure how the author chose the (Jewish) Hungarian civilians profiled in this story, which was not woven back in with the story of the American Soldiers until 2/3rds of the way through the book, and even then it was just a mention that they both happened to be at the same camp and did not interact.

We're familiar with the concept of conc
It is interesting to see the collision of two groups of Jews who had remained largely untouched by the War until quite late, the American Jewish Soldiers and the Hungarian Jews. The Hungarians had managed to protect their Jewish population from deportation almost until the whole country was about to be overrun by the advancing Soviet forces. This is also a story which must bring up the question of fanaticism, when do you finally let you and accept that you have lost, that you were wrong? This is ...more
It is amazing how humans act and react in conflict. A must read to get perspective on the horror of war.
Cohen is to be respected for the effort he made to bring to light the little known horrors of a small almost forgotten camp in Nazi Germany where boys and young men were literally starved, beaten, tortured and worked to death. Through the memories of a half dozen survivors he takes his readers through their lives with their loved ones, with each other and with their brutal captors. This is the first book of its kind I have read and at times I had to stop and reflect and send a healing prayer to ...more
Amazing history lesson.......
Jodi Teeple Christophe
One of the best WWII books I've read in years - and I've read more than my fair share.
A well researched and detailed true story. These U.S. soldiers were put in slave labor camps and worked to death along with Europeans Jews and anyone else the Nazi's deemed subhuman. In contrast, the Americans treated POW's more like guests than prisoners. Our camps were often referred to as "the Fritz Ritz". Brutality and barbarism not too long ago. Beware of the dark side of nationalism!
Jenny T
A devastating account of a little-known concentration/work camp in Germany where 350 American soldiers were sent in February 1945. My heart goes out to the veterans who live every day with memories of this terrible time.
Very interesting. Fascinating due to content of rare info of the small amount of American POWs in Nazi concentration camps. German American; Americans of many religious creeds.
Robert Colquhoun
An interesting piece of relatively unknown WWII history. Yet another example of just how brutal and disgusting the Nazi Solution truly was. Definitely worth the read.
Excellent and readable history of a little known atrocity that took place in WW2. Before this book I knew nothing of it. Good read, highly recommened.
As i read this book, it made me cry. The horror of the Holocaust is overwhelming. I keep thinking how can people be this cruel?
Story of American pows put into forced labor and forced to work in a concentration camp. A good read. Historically educational.
Apr 07, 2015 Cheryl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: wwii
This was about a little known Nazi camp that used American Jewish POW's as slave labor and the aftermath
What can I say? I read a lot of WWII history materials.
Katherine Johnson
Katherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Amy added it
Nov 02, 2015
Linnae marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Isaac Ehrlich
Isaac Ehrlich marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Tereza marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Ashley Choo
Ashley Choo marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Jan C
Jan C marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Lance marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015