Start by marking “Kansas Troubles (Benni Harper, #3)” as Want to Read:
Kansas Troubles (Benni Harper, #3)

Kansas Troubles (Benni Harper #3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,722 ratings  ·  57 reviews
After a whirlwind marriage to San Celina Police Chief Gabe Ortiz, Benni Harper is excited to visit her Kansas hometown. At a rowdy backyard barbecue, she meets Tyler Brown, an aspiring country singer with a promising future--and a fascinating past. Once, Tyler had lived the simple Amish life. Now she's determined to make it on her own selling her exquisite handmade quilts. ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 306 pages
Published March 1st 1997 by Berkley (first published May 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Kansas Troubles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kansas Troubles

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyMurder With Peacocks by Donna AndrewsOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingA Fatal Grace by Louise Penny
Agatha Mystery Award Nominees and Winners
58th out of 128 books — 63 voters
The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Persian Pickle Club by Sandra DallasThe Sugar Camp Quilt by Jennifer ChiaveriniThe Runaway Quilt by Jennifer ChiaveriniThe Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini
Quilt on the Cover
19th out of 141 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Terry
This book in the Fowler Quilt series is a predictable, easy-read that everyone needs every now and again. Benni Harper, amateur sleuth, travels to Kansas and becomes involved in a murder investigation. As in weekly TV series, the reader scrutinizes clues, formulates hypotheses, modifies conclusions based on unfolding events, etc. The book is an easy, predictable problem-solving adventure for mystery lovers.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
Sep 21, 2011 ❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to ❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes) by: Melodie
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I think this series just keeps getting better and better. I normally dislike books within a series that "travel" - take place outside the normal setting. This book was an exception. Really, the mystery was just excellent and the character development, the relationship between Benni and Gabe, is outstanding. I'm really looking forward to catching up with this series.
Sabine
Nach der überraschenden Hochzeit von Benni und Gabe zum Ende des zweiten Teils in Vegas, machen die beiden nun Urlaub in Kansas um die Familie und Freunde von Gabe zu besuchen. Benni ist natürlich entsprechend aufgeregt, da sie weder ihre Schwiegermutter noch ihre beiden Schwägerinnen kennt. Überhaupt weiß sie von ihrem frisch angetrauten Ehemann eigentlich herzlich wenig. Während Benni und Gabe nach Kansas fliegen, machen ihre Großmutter Dove, ihr Vater und ihr Onkel Travis eine Art Roadtrip do ...more
Andree
Nov 23, 2012 Andree rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Got this one and the next one from the library almost three weeks ago. They're due Monday. I read this one tonight. Well done me.

I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. I do find myself wanting to punch Gabe in the face with fairly regular frequency. Benni is just a stubborn, but I guess her stubbornness makes more sense to me. And I've never liked being patronized or talked down to, which is what it sounds like when Gabe tells her to mind her own business. Not that I agree with all of her choices, or
Stephanie
Californian cowgirl Benni is a tad nervous: her uber-quick romance and subsequent tying of the knot with broody cop Gabe Ortiz means that she’s bound for a whole bunch of family introductions. Family introductions in small-town Kansas. As Benni sights the silos, cattle, and laconic locals, she starts to wonder whether it might have been easier to stay in California–and her concerns don’t abate after meeting Gabe’s decidedly frosty mother, Kathryn.

But what better than a bloody murder to bring a f
Sue
The fun thing about cozy mysteries is the characters and settings and then there's mystery on top of that. Series have to develop story lines for the characters and that's what I enjoy about this series. The Benni-Gabe romance has been interesting, although Benni was a little annoying in this one before she came to some realizations about her life and how she should treat Gabe. This one moves them to Kansas for a vacation to meet the Ortiz family, so there are old friends and Gabe's stomping gro ...more
Nicole
Definitely an improving series. This episode follows detective Ortiz back to his family home in Kansas. It may be the change of setting but there was very little tedious recapping of Benni Harper's past, job, and friends to skim over. What was included from previous stories was worked into the story line instead of reading like an intrusive synopsis. Even the comments about the Kansas quilt pattern were integral to the plot and characters.

Gabe remains reticent about sharing a difficult history e
Lori Limberger
Cindy
Sep 10, 2007 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Shelves: mysteries
I really like the Benni Harper series. She's independent, strong, and happily married. That's a nice combination. We also have a lot in common, since I was born in Texas and live in the West right now.

This book finds Benni and her husband Gabe on a trip to meet his family. Benni's husband is the silent type, and she soon discovers that she doesn't know as much about him as she'd like to. There's a murder (of course) and Benni can't help getting involved (also of course). Benni is having trouble
Sjfstudio
#3 in the Benni Harper series. Really enjoying reading these books. The predictable murder or two happens early on, and the twists and turns to find the person responsible makes for a wild rid.
Barbara ★
First of all I must say that this is the first book I've read by Earlene Fowler and the first I've read in this series. Maybe if I started with the first book, I might have actually enjoyed this book but I found that I had zero interest in the story and even less interest (if that's possible) in the main characters. The story jumps in too quickly without giving any background on the hero and heroine. You meet the Amish victim for a total of about 5 minutes and I just didn't care who killed her o ...more
Beth
In a way, it seems unfair to rate Kansas Troubles, because I didn't finish the book. The fact that the book couldn't hold my interest, though, seems to justify a low rating.

My enjoyment level may have been lessened because my introduction to the series began with Book 3, since my library doesn't own the first two books. That caveat aside, Kansas Troubles suffers from a few things: the book seems to be a patchwork (pun unintentional) of mediocre writing and awkwardly-constructed personalities. T
Paula Eeds
I wait every year for Earlene's next book and get it for my birthday in April.
Marilyn
I like a mystery that has a surprising ending, AND can make me laugh in places!
Renee
Harper and Ortiz are not only still together, but take a trip to Kansas to meet Ortiz' family. As if that ordeal weren't enough, Ortiz' high school friends come under suspicion when an aspiring local singer is murdered.

The setting for this book definitely aided character development. That's probably why I liked this book better than Irish Chain. It's likely that I'll read another in the series, but I'm not going to be running to the bookstore to buy it.
Kieraanne
This was one of my favorite books in this series. I love the affection between Benni and Gabe and in this one they are newly weds. Of course I forgot they spend most of the book mad at each other, but the end made up for it. I also like how you get to see a little bit more into Gabe's past in this one, he's so stoic and non-sharing (which Benni points out all the time) that parts of his character remain mysterious for books and books.
John Senner
I picked this solely for its title, which turns out to be the name of a quilt pattern. Mystery in small town Kansas with lots of references to Derby, Pretty Prairie, Wichita, and a thinly disguised Yoder Kansas.
I have no doubt that the author visited the places mentioned. Descriptions are dead on.

California folk-art expert meets her new husband's family and solves the murder of an Amish girl by knowing her quilts. Remarkable.
Rachel
Better than the last in the series. Benni and Ortiz have impetuously married (apparently they don't believe in premarital sex or they would have just knocked boots) and are now wondering if love is enough to overcome stubborness and the problems in their relationship. And one of Ortiz's childhood amigos might be a killer. Count on Benni to get herself in mortal danger at least once (that is getting tired) and to solve the mystery.
Kitty Tomlinson
After a whirlwind marriage to police chief Gabe Ortiz, quilter and amateur sleuth Benni Harper joins her husband on a trip to his Kansas hometown, only to become caught up in the investigation into the murder of quilter, aspiring country singer, and former Amish wife Tyler Brown.
Leah Smith
This time around newly married Benni travels to Kansas to meet her in-laws, the Ortiz family. While in Kansas Benni becomes embroiled in finding out who killed Gabe’s friends country singer girlfriend. Another great mystery with some wonderful tidbits about Amish quilts.
Rita
Whenever I try to do research on Kansas this book pops up so I finally gave in a got a copy. It was a fun mystery set in the general area where I grew up. The heroine has spunk but also a serious side. It was a fun read. Just what we all need at times.
K.T.
Aug 09, 2013 K.T. added it
I just love Earlene Fowler's books about the lovable Benni Harper. This novel explores more of the relationship between Benni and her husband Gabe. It is an absolute must read. This is the second time I have read it and it never gets tired.
Janell
As the third book in this series, the characters are now firmly in place. This story lets you see more depth to their personalities. The murder mystery comes a little more close to home and pulls more at your emotions. Well written.
Sherri
I have read all of Earlene Fowler's "Benni Harper" series.......and I couldn't put a single one of them down! My only regret is that she is not writing any more books in this series...........sadly. They were great books!
Carol Dittoe
Great story! Ms. Fowler has a gift for story telling! Reading about Benni Harper, her friends and family are so detailed, I feel like they're my friends! And all the quilting information is a wonderful bonus! Thank you!!
Paula
At first, Benni's immaturity was a little annoying, but as the story progressed, those impressions went away. I love this series, and the spark that Benni and Gabe have.
Becky Galambos
This is the third novel in the Benni Harper series.

I love meeting Gabe's family, but I just found Gabe annoying through most of this!

Reread April 2013, November 2014.
Sheryl
I enjoy this author although these are certainly not gripping mysteries. Still, for a light mystery I like them and will probably continue to read more in the series.
Marion Faith
In this series entry, Benni Harper & husband Gabe Ortiz return to his home in Kansas, where everything appears placid, but murder is lurking in the wings.
Karen Wahl
Another good read...able to see Benni meet her new "in-laws" and get to know more about Gabe and how he relates to his family. Enjoyed the book.
  • A Stitch in Time (A Needlecraft Mystery, #3)
  • Chile Death (China Bayles, #7)
  • The Master Quilter (Elm Creek Quilts, #6)
  • A Drunkard's Path (Someday Quilts Mystery, #2)
Earlene Fowler was raised in La Puente, California, by a Southern mother and a Western father. She lives in Southern California with her husband, Allen, a purple pickup truck, and many pairs of cowboy boots. She is currently working on the next Benni Harper mystery.

Series:
* Benni Harper Mysteries
* Love Mercy Johnson Mystery
More about Earlene Fowler...
Fool's Puzzle (Benni Harper, #1) Irish Chain (Benni Harper, #2) Sunshine and Shadow (Benni Harper, #10) Goose in the Pond (Benni Harper, #4) Mariner's Compass (Benni Harper, #6)