Start by marking “The Secret History of Vampires” as Want to Read:
The Secret History of Vampires

The Secret History of Vampires

Garlic cloves and wooden stakes are no match for centuries of the undead's mischief and seduction. Here are thirteen original and imaginative stories that reveal the vampiric truths behind certain historical happenings.
Published April 3rd 2007 by DAW (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret History of Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret History of Vampires

Nozomi
Mar 17, 2009 Nozomi rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampire
Being a fan of Carrie Vaughn, her short story A Princess of Spain was the only story I actually read. I also knew the history behind Katherine of Aragon, which probably helped, as I didn't know much about the others. I am really not a short story anthology person; I tried to start the others but they didn't really hold my interest.
Spiderorchid
Apr 29, 2014 Spiderorchid rated it liked it
As is often the case with anthologies, the theme is interesting but a lot of the stories fail to deliver.

The two best stories - "Under St. Peter's" by Harry Turtledove (a brilliant re-interpretation of the origins of the Christian faith - probably blasphemous so read at your own risk) and Carrie Vaughn's "A Princess of Spain" (about Catherine of Aragorn, for once the main focus of the plot and not just Henry VIII's first wife) - have since been republished in other anthologies (By Blood we live
May 29, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
This book of vampire short stories set in the past was better than the silly cover would indicate.All of these stories concerned historical figures. We have a vampire Jesus imprisoned in the depths of the Vatican, Teddy Roosevelt versus a vampire crime lord, Dueling vampires Lenin and Stalin(One of the weaker stories), a vampire cult in 1940s Hollywood, an encounter between Houdini And a vampire, vampires in the court of Catherine of Aragon and the young prince George. Another one was set in Egy ...more
Kristen Darienzo
Apr 18, 2017 Kristen Darienzo rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires
"Did he even have a spirit anymore? Or was he all body, all hunger, all appetite? He didn’t know. He didn’t much care, either."

With this 13 story anthology, we see a lot of different author's takes on vampires throughout "history." Not all of them are as enthralling as others, some are boring or seems forced, but the few that are good, are really good.

"Under St. Peter's" by Harry Turtledove was so good, I read it twice in a row. If you're very religious, this might be blasphemous for you, so I'd
Andrea
Oct 26, 2008 Andrea rated it did not like it
I think this book of short stories had potential describing some really interesting ways vampires have influenced history behind the scenes. However, it just didn't live up to that potential. The stories were dull and unexciting. (I mean - how can you make vampires unexciting?) Some of them seemed like the authors were trying to hard to be creative but just weren't (like the short story written in poet form like the Iliad). The stories that did have potential to really be interesting reads (was ...more
Schnaucl
It was a good anthology. There were more than a few above average stories, which isn't always true for an anthology. I particularly enjoyed Harry Turtledove's story.
Justyn Kyle
May 29, 2014 Justyn Kyle rated it liked it
The Princess of Spain by Carrie Vaughn...3 stars
Rebekah
Nov 15, 2009 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Great collection of short stories. Loved the idea of a French Succubus killing Prince Arthur.
Crymsyn Hart
Jul 22, 2012 Crymsyn Hart rated it liked it
The book was okay. I appreciate anthologies and some of the stories were great. Others not so much. It's neat how the alternative history and vampires comes into play though.
Mical
Mical rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2009
Sophia Kobyakova
Sophia Kobyakova rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Jocelyn Wirth
Jocelyn Wirth rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2017
Robbie
Robbie rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014
Mysticalgoddess
Mysticalgoddess rated it did not like it
Nov 08, 2007
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2009
Ghaleb Al-Sharif
Ghaleb Al-Sharif rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Liriel27
Liriel27 rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2009
Nathaniel
Nathaniel rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2011
Rachele
Rachele rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2009
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
Kirstie
Kirstie rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Angela Maher
Angela Maher rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Cassie
Cassie rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2008
Sylvi Shayl
Sylvi Shayl rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Shan
Shan rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
David
David rated it liked it
May 31, 2012
Vlad
Vlad rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2012
Darrell Schweitzer is an American writer, editor, and essayist in the field of speculative fiction. Much of his focus has been on dark fantasy and horror, although he does also work in science fiction and fantasy.

Schweitzer is also a prolific writer of literary criticism and editor of collections of essays on various writers within his preferred genres.
More about Darrell Schweitzer...