Start by marking “Tiger Math: Learning to Graph from a Baby Tiger” as Want to Read:
Tiger Math: Learning to Graph from a Baby Tiger

Tiger Math: Learning to Graph from a Baby Tiger (Animal Math)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Children learn to graph as they follow the growth of an orphaned Siberian tiger cub.

A Siberian tiger cub born at the Denver Zoo is orphaned when he is just a few weeks old. At first T. J. refuses to eat his new food, and it requires the full attention of the zoo staff to ensure that he grows into a huge, beautiful, and very healthy tiger.

Through photographs, narrative, and
Published September 1st 2002 by Square Fish (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Tiger Math, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tiger Math

Bethk
Aug 31, 2015 Bethk rated it really liked it
I read this book in my library for the purpose of classifying it.

On the surface and from the size, I would generally expect it to be a pre-reading picture book, or for those just learning to read. To my surprise, I found indepth instruction into graphing data, made simple. I classified it accordingly in the Young Adult nonfiction section. I would say that the book is appropriate for 5th or 6th grade students learning to graph in mathematics class, or learning to read and understand graphical dat
Yasmin Gomez Geng
This book has an interesting format: on the right-hand pages is written the story of T.J. the tiger and on the left-hand pages are graphs that use different information from T.J. the tiger.

T.J. the tiger loses his mother when he is very young and the workers have to find a way to keep alive, and eating. Slowly, T.J. starts eating and gaining weight. Soon he is able to open doors and cries when left by himself. After some time, T.J. is moved to another zoo. He is scared but soon learns all about
Hannah
Dec 03, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apretom
Summary:Tiger Math is a book that tells the story of an orphan, Siberian tiger cub named T.J., born at the Denver Zoo in Colorado. T.J. became an orphan when he was just 10 weeks old because his mother died of cancer.

Critique:The format of Tiger Math is beneficial for the reader because the author keeps the entirety of the math problems on the left side of the book and T.J.’s story on the right side of the book. Tiger Math introduced the different graph types while presenting them to the reader.
Beth
Jan 03, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it
In a format that will surely please elementary school teachers struggling with curriculum frameworks, Tiger Math offers both story and instruction. The tragic tale of a motherless baby Siberian tiger named T.J. will capture reader's sympathy and interest as they read on to discover if will survive. The math part of the book is a natural extension of information. T.J.'s growth and progress is a concern, and is compared to his father's at the same age. Not only are concepts of graphing introduced, ...more
Elise Hill
Mar 06, 2016 Elise Hill added it
Shelves: edrd-314
Tiger Math is another great resource for teaching math in a fun way. The story of TJ is intertwined with math in a way that makes graphing and looking at data fun. Children in Denver might especially enjoy this story since TJ was born at the Denver Zoo.
Stacey Mulholland
I've been using this in my math class for awhile. Kids engage in story and our discussion about different types of graphs and why you use different ones.
Jessica Chambliss
This book is wonderful! This lesson could be a great combination lesson! It could be a combined math and science lesson! For me I would teach children how to graph data for math lesson while incorporating science! While they are graphing the data you can give information on tigers and tie it into animal interactions and different breeds of tiger. This could also lead into explaining what breeds are. This book is great for 1-3rd grade!
Deborah Harris
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Amber
Jan 12, 2011 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: school, 10-11
Who isn't a sucker for a cute little baby animal? My kids certainly are and this book was filled with adorable "ohhh" inspiring pictures that really actually made them interested in the graphs. Fun with graphs (and math, shhh) ensued.
Shannon
Feb 10, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
We read this to launch our unit on representing data and it was an absolute smash hit. I mean, it's hard to do wrong with a cuddly underweight tiger bug, but my students have been talking about this book throughout our unit so far.
Alesha Harris
Nov 20, 2012 Alesha Harris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-books, science
This book tells the story of a motherless tiger. Also, this book teaches children how to represent data using a graph. This book is great becuae it teaches children about math and it tells a story.
April Evans
Apr 19, 2013 April Evans rated it really liked it
This book teaches children how to graph using information about the baby tiger and the tigers experiences. It would be a fun book to use when teaching students about graphs.
Kristina
Apr 15, 2013 Kristina rated it really liked it
The kids absolutely loved this book! The pictures really engage them in the story and they were fascinated by the graphs and the information in them.
Amanda Stacy
Apr 22, 2012 Amanda Stacy rated it it was amazing
This is a great non fiction book to teach students about the tiger and mammals at the zoo. This book would get the interest of all readers K-5.
Raina Evink
Jul 02, 2013 Raina Evink rated it it was amazing
Here is a link to a review I've written about this book: http://rainaevink.hubpages.com/hub/Ti...
Kathy
Jan 14, 2008 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, nonfiction
A great book to use when introducing graphing and other math concepts to elementary school students.
Nakitah
Nov 27, 2011 Nakitah added it
Shelves: math
Shows students how to describe the growth by means of words and graphs.
Mel
Sep 20, 2011 Mel rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
Great book for the classroom and versitile for multiple age groups.
Theresa
Sep 07, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a story book to teach children fundlementals of math.
Eliza
Sep 12, 2007 Eliza rated it it was amazing
I relly liked the graghs
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Cecilia O'Neal
Cecilia O'Neal rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Spiro Gerontakis
Spiro Gerontakis marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Ashlyn
Ashlyn added it
Apr 13, 2016
Blake
Blake added it
Apr 13, 2016
Lisa Pickering
Lisa Pickering marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016