Start by marking “Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting” as Want to Read:
Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting

Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This highly VISUAL guide makes it easier than ever to get hooked on crochetingThe approximately 30 million crocheters in the U.S. make crocheting one of today's hottest hobbies. This VISUAL guide makes it easy to pick up a hook and a ball of yarn and get stitching, with clear, step-by-step presentations of techniques accompanied by detailed color photos that show readers e ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by Visual

To ask other readers questions about Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting

Sara
I am technically still using this book, but I feel like I've gotten a good enough idea of its merits as an instructional manual to write something about it. I think for anyone who learns well through trial and error, this book will be extremely helpful. The pictures could be better, i.e., they could more clearly demonstrate the precise step being discussed, but the "plain english" instructions are great and quite illustrative. If you're the kind of person who likes having a teacher handy, someon ...more
Kathleen Dixon
I can't wait to finish my current crochet project (a blanket for my granddaughter which could have been finished a month ago if I hadn't decided to try freeform lace for the 6th square) so I can borrow this book again from the library and make a sampler of all these wonderful stitches. I've been crocheting for years but have never done anything to a pattern, so it'll be fun to give all these ones a go.

Oh, I promised myself I'd make a cushion for my mother first.

#2 I can't wait till I've finished
Rachel
Great resource for beginner crocheters or those that want to brush up on their skills. I have never been good at interpreting crochet shorthand, and I've always been a better visual learner, so this book was ideal for me. It gave you basic and advanced stitches, in addition to techniques, stitch variations, combining stitches, how to follow a pattern, stitch patterns, and troubleshooting. It also shows how to make different shapes/flowers/creatures, blocks and motifs, edgings, and patterns for e ...more
Leann
Not a particularly helpful book, unfortunately... Not enough focus on the basics.
Lisa Topp
May 22, 2008 Lisa Topp rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning crocheters/all crocheters
Shelves: crafting
This book is great for everything from beginning stitches to more complex ones, from fun flowers and curlie cues to easy afgans and wraps. Photos and directions are great. I played around with the afgan stitch and making flowers and curlies last night.
The book covers everything you need to know about getting started, from types of yarn and their care, to selecting hooks, and how to read patterns. This copy is from the library, and I would definately like my own copy to keep on hand. It is an inv
Paula
I looked at many Crochet books before picking this one out. I think it's the best learn to crochet book out there. It's not easy to teach yourself to crochet but this book really makes it possible. The pictures are very good. I keep this book nearby and refer it often in case I forget how to do something or want to learn a new stitch. I've found that most of the mistakes I first made when starting was from not reading the text of the steps close enough.
Peggy
This is a very good book for beginners! I learned how to crochet from this book (with a little help from my friend Sophia), and they have a lot of different ways to crochet really pretty patterns!

I actually recommend this one over "Happy Hooker", part of "Stitch n' Bitch". While Happy Hooker has a lot of projects and patterns, if you are a beginner that wishes to learn, the Visual book is definitely worth the investment!
Hafidha
Ebook on my kindle app isn't always in sync in terms of text and photos, but this book is great. I love how everything is broken down by small chapters so you can easily find what you need in the table of contents. The language is very clear and direct. The instructions are broken down step by step. Great for the ADD person, in my opinion.
Lyndz
Quite good, but I thought there would be more pictures you definitely have to read the instructions as well as look at the pictures. I had ZERO experience at crocheting before this book, but I am now doing several of the basic stitches with ease. I plan on moving on to some more difficult ones soon.
Holly Booms Walsh
Jul 16, 2007 Holly Booms Walsh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: novice or wannabe crocheters
Shelves: crafting
Most useful intro to crochet book I ran across while learning to crochet this spring. Great illustrations and explanations. I bought this as my reference guide and have referred to it several times already. Highly recommended to novice crocheters.
Ceanne
Even though I've been crocheting for more than 20 years I still like to look over the teaching guides around. Some times there are new spins on this old favorite of mine. This book also has some nice patterns I'm going to try.
Stella
I had to turn this in because it was on request. Bummer because I still wanted to learn more stuff in it. I actually taught myself to crochet with this. I knit, but had never crocheted before. I recommend it if you want to learn.
Jan 11, 2012 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: diy
Great resource.

Something I could see referring to quite frequently.

I taught myself the single crochet and the double crochet.
This book got me to experiment with circular patterns, flowers, and balls.

آية  مجدي
For such an idiot like me, it was great :D
It learned me how to crochet. I had no experience crocheting before, but it was a great guide for me. I'll use it more and more.
Katie Bug
best crochet book!!! I am interested in crocheting new stiches but I couldn't seem to find any good books but then I found this one!!! BEST BOOK!!!!
Sonya
Yeah, I'm a dork but this book really helped me to learn how to crochet, easy to understand and follow. Good Pictures.
Anna Piranha
Excellent instructions for both left and right handed crafters. Very clear photos.
Kelly
EXCELLENT tool for a beginner and new stitches for the more advanced! Love this book!
Absolutely love this book. Great for those who like to design their own stuff.
Janis
Feb 25, 2013 Janis marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty
On the nook. Brilliant for mobile crafting.
Monique
Stacey
Stacey added it
Nov 18, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Tatyana Deribas
Tatyana Deribas marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Alicia
Alicia added it
Nov 05, 2014
  • Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs: 144 Circles, Hexagons, Triangles, Squares, and Other Unexpected Shapes
  • Teach Yourself Visually Knitting (Teach Yourself Visually)
  • Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet
  • Mr. Funky's Super Crochet Wonderful
  • 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix and Match
  • The Granny Square Book: Timeless Techniques and Fresh Ideas for Crocheting Square by Square
  • The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs: 500 Classic & Original Patterns
  • Creepy Cute Crochet
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More Than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns
  • The Crochet Stitch Bible
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
  • 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More
  • Crocheting For Dummies
  • Tiny Yarn Animals: Amigurumi Friends to Make and Enjoy
  • Amigurumi!: Super Happy Crochet Cute
  • Hip to Crochet
  • The Cute Book
  • Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet  (Leisure Arts #15906) (Donna Kooler's Series)
Kim Werker is a writer, editor and speaker who really digs making stuff. She runs a project called Mighty Ugly, leading workshops and lecture-conversations to help people embrace the dark side of creativity so they can have way more fun making stuff and trying new things.

Her newest book is Make It Mighty Ugly: Exercises and Advice for Getting Creative Even When It Ain't Pretty. Kim is the founder
More about Kim P. Werker...
Crochet Me Get Hooked Again: Simple Steps to Crochet More Cool Stuff Interweave Presents Crocheted Gifts: Irresistible Projects to Make & Give Mighty Ugly: Exercises and Advice for Getting Creative Even When It Ain't Pretty Get Hooked: Simple Steps to Crochet Cool Stuff