Start by marking “Glorious One-Pot Meals: A Revolutionary New Quick and Healthy Approach to Dutch-Oven Cooking” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A totally new patented way to cook quick and easy one-pot meals, while keeping ingredients intact and full of flavor.

Elizabeth Yarnell developed her revolutionary infusion-cooking method to avoid often mushy slow-cooker results and to make cooking and cleaning up after dinner a breeze. Now anyone with too many tasks and not enough time can use her technique to get dinner o
Published January 6th 2009 by Clarkson Potter (first published November 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Glorious One-Pot Meals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glorious One-Pot Meals

Steve
This is a great cookbook for anyone who wants nutrient dense food, low cal, straightforward prep, good taste and lots of leftovers so you don't have to cook the second night. I have about 6 favorite recipes from this book that I have put into the rotation. The family enjoys them too, and the leftovers taste just as good the second night. Be sure to use a real Dutch oven, which in my case is a 5.5qt round Le Creuset French oven. I double the ingredients to fill the pot, with some adjustments. Onc ...more
Elizabeth Yarnell
Nov 03, 2008 Elizabeth Yarnell added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my new cookbook, due out January 6, 2009!

If you are looking for quick and easy meals that are delicious and nutritious, too, you'll love this cookbook. I invented and patented this unique cooking method to help improve my own health after I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

Full of healthy recipes that are not at all like crock pot stews (I call it "the anti-crock pot"), Glorious One-Pot Meals flash-cook inside a very hot oven and emerge with all ingredients perfectly cooked and in
Nan
What can I say; this book is glorious. It was a gift as was a dutch oven. The focus is on meat, but there is a healthy vegetarian section. The idea is that you layer ingredients in your dutch oven and cook at a high heat for 45 minutes. Out comes deliciousness. I've made half a dozen things and they are all easy, delicious, and pretty heart healthy.
Stephanie
This book has great recipes! I feel like I've tagged most of the pages in it. I also love how most of the recipes only cook for 45 minutes and most are chocked full of vegetables. The recipes are also very versatile, allowing me to add or subtract or exchange the ingredients I don't like with ones I do or have on hand.
Jjanovyak
What an asset for anyone concerned with healthy, cost-conscious eating. I am a complete fan! This works in real life - you CAN do these meals at the end of the work day, and have the time to collect yourself for whatever the evening holds while these cook. Brilliant!
Gail
My cooking changed forever when I read this book. I have used many of the recipes, and my family has favorites. To be truthful, I love it more than my family, they are not huge fans of casseroles. But here the ingredients are not mixed together in an unidentifiable mass, and I think that helps.
I love using these recipes because I spend a while in preparation then leave it to cook.

After you try a few of these recipes, it is easy to substitute different ingredients. The sauces are sublime.

At first
Yasmine Alfouzan
Horrifying.
Yes, author of this cookbook, it's a reaaaally great idea to just dump in fragile vegetables with meat and cook them for the same duration at the same temperature.
Snow peas and chicken?
Broccoli, and pasta?
Who on earth would even TRY this?
FYI, if you're wondering about the result, it's probably mushy veggies with some starches and meat. Baby food. But this is what happens when you dump all your dinner ingredients in one pot (without braising, even) and cook on high heat for an hour. M
Valerie Yoh
A while back, my friend Ann gave this book to my husband and I. Recently, I started trying out these recipes with our new dutch oven. I've tried 4 so far and liked them all! I can't wait to try another!

...okay, I think it's time to move this to my 'read' books column. I have tried many but not all of the recipes in this book. These are perfect hot dishes for a cold weather day.

Some of the recipes (particular those in the "Light & Flavorful" section) are a little unbalanced flavor-wise, but a
Harkinna
I ran across this book at our used bookstore. The cover had a dutch oven almost exactly like ours...so I decided to give it a go. Boy am I glad I did. Brent and I really trying to make cooking a new hobby, to save money and to eat in a more healthy manner. These meals are just perfect for the beginner.

The recipes follow the same formula: oil the pot, put your starch and liquid at the bottom, top with meat and veggies with some kind of sauce, bake at 450 for 45 minutes. Enjoy.

Elizabeth has all ki
Kristen Johnson
I like this book. The recipes are pretty basic, but the whole concept of infusion cooking was new to me. The introduction includes some helpful tables and teaches you how to properly layer ingredients to create your own one pot meals. The recipes are very flexible and it's easy to customize recipes if you're on any kind of a special diet. This book is helpful if you want to learn a new method of cooking very healthy, one pot meals that require little attention while cooking. Good for everyday we ...more
Nicole Kapise-Perkins
These look like some great-tasting recipes, but I think I'm going to visit her website (http://www.gloriousonepotmeals.com ) and try some of the recipes before committing to buying the book. (Of course, I could keep taking it out of the library, but I'm a messy cook. My cookbooks bear testament to this fact.)
Du
I'm excited to try some of these recipes. I had expected it to be a crock pot cook book, and was happy to see that it is more of a dutch oven cookbook. I am going to try a few of the recipes and see how they come out. Maybe I'll change the rating afterwards. For now, I am giving it three stars based upon the readability and the overall interest the book creates in this style of cooking.
Rhlibrary
While attending ALA Midwinter in January, I had the pleasure of meeting Elizabeth Yarnell, author of GLORIOUS ONE-POT MEALS. This new title from Broadway Books features Elizabeth’s patented approach to easy cooking with a Dutch Oven. Ever since chatting with this charismatic and personable author, I am excited to try out my new Dutch Oven. It won’t collect dust any longer!

Lorie
If you have a dutch oven and want quick, easy and healthy meals, pick up this book. So far the three recipes I've tried have been great. Don't wait for summer as this book is all about a 450 degree oven and about 45 minutes - perfect for this time of year. The introductory text is helpful, too. My library copy is going back soon, but I'll be buying a copy for myself.
Kate
All I got in the three times I tried these recipes, was an unappetizing glop. Lorie liked it and I wonder what she made. The vegetables were invariably over cooked and the rice was crunchy. I like the idea and really want it to work but I think I'll stick to multiple pots. Some of the sauce ideas sounded great and I'll keep them in mind when I put together a meal.
Darcy
I love the idea of your whole meal in one pan, less dishes. I was surprised at the recipes that caught my eye in this one, they were mostly fish ones, which is something that I would never have considered fish this way. I only hope that the recipes turn out ok.
Eling
I think the concept behind this book is one that would actually be really useful to apply to everyday cooking, but unfortunately this book has the feature that is a deal-breaker for me when it comes to cookbooks: NO PICTURES. At all. Oh well.
Julie
I like this book! The recipes have been really bland, but I have learned to add a lot more seasoning. I really like that a lot of the recipes are gluten free or easily modified to be gluten-free.
Ashley
This cookbook's "thing" is cooking via dutch oven and I like the idea but haven't yet found a recipe that is AMAZING. I'll keep looking and maybe my rating will improve.
Ann
This is a great cooking method. A well balanced meal cooked in a dutch oven where the ingredients don't get mushy like a crockpot. I've liked everything I've made so far.
These recipes are all kind of the same and don't have much flavor. I tried three or four before feeling justified in posting this less than favorable review.
Kristin
Not impressed. I'm ok using recipes without pictures, but nothing caught my eye. Disappointing. Explanations were adequate and typeface was easy to read.
Laurie Weiss
I love having the option of cooking in this way. My husband and I have enjoyed learning so many different ways to try new things and all are delicious.
Sasha
When I read that someone holds patents on the cooking technique they're writing about, it's a red flag.
Amy
Somewhat interesting -- everything is for use with a dutch-oven. Also, no pictures -- bad, bad!
Kartini
Excellent introduction to the technique and recipes for cooking with a Dutch Oven.
BookBec
BookBec marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life
  • Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in the Kitchen
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Great Food, All Day Long: Cook Splendidly, Eat Smart
  • Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook
  • Top Secret Recipes--Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes: Creating Cool Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Drinks
  • Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads
  • Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy: A Feast of 175 Regional Recipes
  • Bones: Recipes, History, and Lore
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • Fix, Freeze, Feast: Prepare in Bulk and Enjoy by the Serving, More Than 125 Recipes
  • At Home with Madhur Jaffrey: Simple, Delectable Dishes from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka
  • Salted: A Manifesto on the World's Most Essential Mineral, with Recipes
  • Alice's Tea Cup: Delectable Recipes for Scones, Cakes, Sandwiches, and More from New York's Most Whimsical Tea Spot
  • Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking (Arts & Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green