Start by marking “Host (Rogue Mage, #3)” as Want to Read:
Host (Rogue Mage, #3)

Host (Rogue Mage #3)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  2,491 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
In a post-apocalyptic ice age envisioned by Faith Hunter in Bloodring and Seraphs, humans continue their fight to survive amid the warlike forces of Light and Darkness—and struggle to understand the seraphic and demonic beings who have invaded their world....

After risking her life to save the residents of Mineral City from a fallen seraph of the underworld, Thorn St. Croix
Published January 6th 2009 by Roc (first published November 6th 2007)

Kirsty Bassett
Jan 20, 2014 Kirsty Bassett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The overall plot arc that began in bloodring is concluded really well in this book. Most of the questions are the dragon/darkness type monsters is concluded and answered.

Yet while im happy with this ending at the same time im not. I need there to be another set of books in this world, following thorn and friends, theres still too many unanswered questions about characters and the world.

Such as are the Seraphs really aliens? Is there really a one true god (in this world) and will we ever see hi
Jenn
Aug 03, 2010 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wtf-was-that
I'm still feeling like a moron trying to read this series. I think it has too much going on and I'm having a hard time keeping track of it all. Whether or not they are in Mineral City, The Realm of Light or in the here-not-here I'm still confused as shit. What is up with those wheels anyway? And all the eyes and the cobra? There better be some answers in the next 50 pages or I'm going to flip a biscuit.

Update: book/series finished. Urgh, my brain. I'm just going to say that Post Apocalyptic fan
Crystal
The Rogue Mage series is complicated sometimes to the point of being hard to follow, but the story is interesting. The last book did leave a lot of unanswered questions - enough to make me wonder why she hasn't written another book to completely wrap up this story. Even the things that did get wrapped up were only half answered like what happened to Lo Lo? Is Rose evil? What's the deal with the lynx? What's the deal with amethyst and the wheels and the snake? Why don't witches have souls? Are th ...more
Kt
Jul 28, 2010 Kt rated it liked it
As a result of her new Seraphic visa and station her birth Enclave sends a metal mage emissary named Cheran to train Thorn. However, she immediately realizes there is more than meets the eye to the pompous Cheran, and she senses a underlying current of danger from him. While she is trying to juggle the demands from the different organizations due to her new position, and trying to figure out how to rescue her twin, the Succubus Queen makes a reappearance threatening the ones she loves. When the ...more
drey
Apr 07, 2010 drey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hahahahahahahaha! Thorn gets a new buddy in Host. This one was sent from her former home, the New Orleans Enclave. Yes, the one that threw her out in the first place. Cheran Jones is a prissy and arrogant metal mage whose duty is to instruct Thorn in the arts of diplomacy. Apparently she's not polished enough to represent the neo-mages in Mineral City, even if she's been too busy hiding, killing demon spawn, and containing the Dragon, to worry about "media relations". Along with the Seraphs, the ...more
He110Ne0
Host finishes up all the Rogue Mage books to date, currently a trilogy. There aren't current plans to write more to the series and since this one was published around 2010, it doesn't seem like it would happen anytime soon, if at all.

With that in mind, this book does wrap up the main arc of the initial 3 books very well. You won't be left on a razor's edge when you close the book and while I'm not going to put any spoilers in this review, I will say this. This book ends DARK. This trilogy is not
Amanda
Mar 23, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok I did really love this book, well 99% of it anyway - the battles were amazing and the detail made me feel totally invested. I think the MC Thorn is fabulous and has enough hang-ups to make her believable and likeable. I was completely absorbed in the end-of-days scenario even to the point of demanding hubby cooked dinner last night so I could finish but then .... the finish happened. To say I feel unsatisfied is inadequate - I feel like a kid who has been promised a trip to Disneyland and the ...more
Jack
Apr 08, 2008 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Did you ever go to the movies and buy a too-big popcorn, then find yourself 30 minutes later giving a queasy look at the bottom of the empty bucket and thinking, "jeez, why did I...?" That's how I feel after reading this series. It was entertaining, but not at all nutritious, and I shouldn't have overdone it like that.
Schnaucl
Patrick Burgess
Close On The Heels Of Book 2 Buuuuut...

Hunter's mythology with angels and demons and mages is shaping up pretty excitingly buuuuuuuuuut *takes deep breath* the protagonist, Thorn St. Croix, is kinda-sorta-starting to-really-um annoy me just a tad-maybe-a-little-more-than-a-tad-how-about-tod-is-that-even-a-word-well-let's-just-go-with-it, just a tod.

In this case I can't be sure if it's the author's way of making Thorn easier to relate to, but to me, someone who stands around and watches while pe
Rhiannon Frater
Apr 13, 2009 Rhiannon Frater rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy fans
This series (trilogy?) was recommended to me by a good friend and I decided to take a chance with it. I enjoyed the first book enough to read the second one (which I enjoyed immensely) and immediately read the third one upon finishing Seraphs.

Things I enjoyed:

-The character could easily be a Mary Sue, but she somehow avoids this with her quirky personality.

-The supporting characters are well-defined and add to the story.

-The world building is really good when it comes to the town, magic, and pol
Kristy
Aug 11, 2010 Kristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
gremlin
May 22, 2015 gremlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'm very torn on how to rate this. As a book, it was fine and I was into it right up until the epilogue, and then I felt terribly betrayed.

The problem is this one leaves off looking like there's supposed to be another book. Since there isn't one, it's a terrible series finale with a lot of stuff unresolved.

(view spoiler)
Topher
Jan 20, 2010 Topher rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalypse
A very literal post-apocalyptic series. God and the Devil popped back up, wiped out 6B humans, and the Earth is back in an Ice Age to cleanse it. Angels are good guys, but in the no-shades-of-grey variety, so relying on them for help is as likely to get you killed as not.

I convince myself in between books that this series is just ok, but, when I'm reading them I manage to lose myself in them; I'm not sure how to really rate them as a result. What does it say when you like a book more only when y
Hong
After reading the last book in hopes it will get better, I find it hasn't change as much as I thought it would. There were questions regarding to the seraphs and the demons that the EIH questioned that never got answered. What are the changes that are found in the Mole Man's descendants? The ending after a somewhat climaxing, but extremely bitter and it kinda fell flat to me at the epilogue and left me wondering about this world.

Will there be more books coming out to figure out these questions o
Valerie ~ Val Hall ~
Feb 21, 2011 Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
It was a great trilogy. The blend of post-apocolyptic fantasy and christian scriptures. The battles were epic. The loose ends were tied quickly, which there was another book. Seems the author is inquiring of fans wants another Thorn St Croix.
Vic
Nov 14, 2012 Vic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, futuristic, ebook
Very strange series and not sure how to feel when I got to the end of this book. The world building is very interesting and I like Thorn and ... I'd probably read the next book because I feel a bit like we've been left hanging at the end of this one.
Paula
This is the first one I have read and it is No3. I didn't feel to lost. It is alot of world building but it didn't drag. Now to read 1 and 2
Kathy Davie
First read May 17, 2010.

Hunter is amazing. I sure hope #4 is around the corner. I'm enjoying Thorn so very much!
Marcia
Jan 21, 2017 Marcia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kindle store doesn't give any information regarding which book is first in this series. When I downloaded the bundle this one came up first so I assumed it was the first book. I was completely lost and annoyed but I made it to the end only to discover the other two books I downloaded came before this one... :( I'll try to come back to this series at a later time to read them again in order. It's probably a good book if you actually read the series in order.
Carrie
Feb 04, 2017 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this series and was devastated to find it was only a trilogy.

There was one line in this book that had me laughing out loud, it wasn't supposed to be funny. But the play on words, whether it was intentional or not had me giggling for about 10 minutes. I don't know the exact line, but it was like "The smell of feathers burning on the air was foul." It was an audio book so at first I heard "The smell of burning feathers on the air was fowl."
Jacqueline
Extra 1/3 star.

I thought this was a trilogy but it seems like it's a sort-of-not-really-but-maybe-kind-of-a trilogy. Like perhaps there were 3 books planned with more being possible if the sales were good enough. This book ended the story arc pretty well but omigosh, it doesn't tie up anything else(which is driving me nuts!)
Jaq
Mar 14, 2017 Jaq rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best book of the Rogue Mage series - the characters were more rounded, the fighting more convincing and Thorn came across as a little more likeable (well for a character with the name of Thorn). I'm also disappointed that this is it - I'm left hanging in the air with a number of plots yet to be resolved.
Aurian Booklover
Jun 01, 2015 Aurian Booklover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book continues where the second one ended. Thorn is now known to more Seraphs, and that might not be a good thing. The Cherub, the Holy Amethyst, she saved, is mad of her for stealing her chariot/binding her wheels to her. They now obey Thorn, and Amethyst won’t have that.
Thorn’s abilities keep on growing, and it appears she is a rare omega mage. A mage that Seraphs will have to obey in battle. She can call upon minor Lights to help her, and help heal herself and other people. Her ex-husban
April Loebick
Jan 11, 2013 April Loebick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faith Hunter’s Host is the third book in the Rogue Mage trilogy. Like its predecessors, Bloodring and Seraphs, Host is full of intense action that will keep the reader engaged. Actually, it is probably more action packed than the first two combined, but it’s done well and the story itself does not get left behind. As with a good trilogy, in the final book, the fighting comes to a head and questions are answered and other things are found.

The Rogue Mage trilogy is a post-apocalyptic tale that fol
Cheryl
The Rogue Mage series by Faith Hunter is set in a post-apocalyptic world, some generations after Seraphs revealed themselves to the world and joined forces with humans to battle demons. Magic is unleashed upon the world when the offspring of Seraphs & humans come of age; these "mages" have the ability to cast spells, create amulets & wards. Because of their powers, they are kept in enclaves and strictly monitored. The heroine of the series, Thorn St. Croix, is a rogue mage, living as a h ...more
Amelia
The story was fun, and I really liked the characters. I wanted to love this series, but the author wouldn't let me.

The repetitive phrases were not only annoying due to repetition, but the sheer cheesiness and crappy cliche's they were comprised of would have annoyed on their own!

"Fly by the seat of my pants" was one she seemed overly attached to for this book.
"Habiel's pearly toes" and "Ducky"/"just ducky" made it back (much to my dismay) for book three.
"Whitless titter" was only relieved occasi
Kate Woods
I love the Rogue Mage series SO MUCH, and I loved most of this book, but man that ending left me less than satisfied. I think its an interesting and unique way to end, with so much unanswered, but I really needed more, the ending just made me unhappy. Faith Hunter is such a versatile writer, and her world building abilities are top notch. I see Mineral City in every small Appalachian town ive visited, the powers and descriptions of the angels come straight from biblical and apocryphal texts, so ...more
Dee
Nov 08, 2014 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I devoured the first two books and eagerly waited to find the final (I thought) book of this series/trilogy? I was caught up once again in the nonstop action of a world that at first glance seemed to be vaguely familiar but as the plot unfolded proved to be much more mysterious than I first thought. I finished the last book still not knowing the exact nature or origin of the seraphs, for example. Thorn was a character that by turns confused, frustrated then delighted me. At the end of this suppo ...more
Barbara ★
This is the third and some say, final book in the series and I still have trouble with the world building. It's so complex and religious that it just can't hold my attention long enough to figure out the dynamics.

After reading Seraphs (the second book), I had this thought "I enjoyed Bloodring but this book is way too religious for my tastes. It's God this, the High Host that, scripture left and right, and over-zealous religious leaders. It's way abstract and ambiguous and I keep losing focus as
  • Easy Pickings (Walker Papers, #7.6; Jane Yellowrock, #3.1)
  • Highborn (Dark Redemption, #1)
  • Shadow City (Horngate Witches, #3)
  • Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3)
  • The Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares #3)
  • Chronicles of Elantra Bundle
  • Black Lament (Black Wings, #4)
  • Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)
  • Bloodrage (Blood Destiny, #3)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • The Asylum Interviews: Bronx (The Asylum Tales, #0.5)
  • Broken Mirrors (Marla Mason, #5)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series is a dark urban fantasy. Jane is a full blooded Cherokee skinwalker and hunter of rogue-vampires in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

Her Rogue Mage novels—Bloodring, Seraphs, Host, and the RPG Rogue Mage—feature Thorn St. Croix, a stone mage in a post-apocalyptic alternate reality.

The Soulwood series is a new dark-urban fantasy / parano
More about Faith Hunter...

Rogue Mage (3 books)
  • Bloodring (Rogue Mage, #1)
  • Seraphs (Rogue Mage, #2)