Start by marking “Bloodring (Rogue Mage, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodring (Rogue Mage, #1)

Bloodring (Rogue Mage #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  3,262 ratings  ·  238 reviews
In a near-future world, seraphs and demons fight a never-ending battle. But a new species of mage has arisen. Thorn St. Croix is no ordinary “neomage.” Nearly driven insane by her powers, she has escaped the confines of the Enclaves and now lives among humans. When her ex-husband is kidnapped, Thorn must risk revealing her true identity to save him.
Published November 4th 2008 by Roc (first published November 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodring

Rhianon
A 4'10" female riding a Fresian? A stallion, no less? Granted, they aren't hot-blooded but I'm still struggling with the practicality of that combination. And likewise, someone else riding a Clydesdale. *snorts* Don't get me wrong, it's done. But it is far from practical, far from comfortable, especially traveling long distances. It's like straddling an oil drum.

This is one of those instances where it really does pay to stay within the bounds of realism for the sake of your readership. Because t
Amy
Faith Hunter imagines a post-Apocalyptic world filled with seraphs, Dark beings, and mages (as well as ordinary humans). Thorn St. Croix is an unlicensed mage living amongst the humans in secret in the town of Mineral City in what used to be North or South Carolin. Her ex-husband, Lucas Stanhope, is kidnapped in the middle of the night, and this event sets off a series of events that leads Thorn to believe that something Dark and dangerous is massing an army in the mountain behind the town. As T ...more
Dharma Kurlind
Let me just say how shocked I am that I didn't like this book. I love Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series. But I really, really didn't like Bloodring. I listened through the whole audiobook, convinced that eventually I'd care for the heroine, care for the plot, but I didn't. It's just too much - too post-apocalyptic/new ice-age, too high fantasy, too foreign, too alien. We have new mages, and half-breeds, and Sarephs, and demon spawn, and none of them are human, but somehow the combination bet ...more
Rebecca C
Rogue Mage series (Book 1) | So if the Mercy Thompson/Rachel Morgan books are your fair-to-middling examples of a well-written urban fantasy series, these Rogue Mage books have to be the ugly red-headed stepchildren. Because they're not well-written. At all. But, you know, it's pretty much my own fault. With an authorial pseudonym like 'Faith Hunter' I should have realized what I was getting myself into. Anyway, Blood Ring takes place in a post-apocalyptic small-town of what's left of America, a ...more
Ian
Nov 01, 2013 Ian marked it as z-dnf-too-busy-clawing-out-my-eyes  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading tax law.
As a general rule I won't rate a book that I DNF and read less than 50%. So no rating.

Bloodring, well the 40% I read before I walked away, is a bit of a disaster. It's monotonous, the characters are remote, the story...well you would think by 40% I would have a vague idea of what's going on but honestly I had no idea.

Faith Hunter is a talented writer. Her Skinwalker series is a personal favorite. This book is going into the bowels of hell and hopefully it is never mentioned again.
Kati
This book turned out to be better than I thought. At first, I just couldn't get into it - too much exposition for my liking. But even though there was something off about the story telling, I really liked the characters, especially the seraphs fascinated me.
LiteraryLover
This book started out interesting, then started to confuse the heck out of me, then bored me to the point of wanting to not finish it, but towards the end it redeemed itself enough for me to say it was decent. At times it felt like a high fantasy novel but then they'd mention their phones and televisions and I'd remember it's urban fantasy and post-apocolyptic. However the characters and the world definitely feel and act more towards the high fantasy side. There's not a whole lot of action going ...more
Leslie - keepsbooks
I've had this trilogy sitting on my shelves for years but was never in the "right" mood for it, but having just finished a Jane Yellowrock binge, I was looking for a Faith Hunter-fix and stumbled upon The Rogue Mage books in a back corner of Mt. TBR.

Bloodring (Book 1) suffers a bit from first-in-series-itis: characters to introduce, worlds to build, mythology to explain -

- but this can drag the action down to a crawl and that's what happens here. If the early pages had been as engaging as the
Jensownzoo
I liked the characterizations and interactions and the pacing (kept reading to find out what happened next). An interesting take on revelation/end of the world with some suggestions that the human race is being hoodwinked about the whole deal.

However, I think the "mage heat" device could have been lifted out of the story en toro and not made much of a difference in the story...indicating dead weight (and something more suited to a cheesy romance novel anyway). Maybe a minor point, but something
Sapphire
I would have given this 3 1/2 stars, but Goodreads doesn't do that. I will try to read the next two books in the series, as sometimes the next one gets better. Mostly there is not enough action and the hook wasn't there in the beginning as should be. But the book has potential, so I will read the others.
Lexi Ander
This is my second read through this book. I still agree with my initial rating for the book. I loved the post-apocalyptic world with angels, The Powers, the second unforeseen, and neomages. I have to say it has some of the best scenes when it came to casting magic that I have read. The scenes were well thought out and the foreignness was explained in such a way that I was able to follow along and understand the limitations. The use of religion and religious scripture; putting power into and behi ...more
Ellese
I added this to my favorites because 1.) I love Faith Hunter no matter what, and 2.) this book has such an interesting story. The reason it only got 3 stars? Despite my fandom of Hunter, this was not one of her best. The story is a great one but I kept thinking, this could have been explained more, or this could have been a bit different. I felt at times I was playing catch up.

The story is a new one though. Hunter hits new territory by making this series a more Biblical one. It has angels, serap
Nicole
I liked the sample chapter provided by Amazon. But when I read the book the world didn’t make much sense to me. And I always have a big problem when the world-building doesn’t makes sense to me.
The story takes place 105 years after “the end of the world” only the world hasn’t ended. So far so good. The technology that survived seemed random.
They don’t seem to have central heating, but the heroine often draws herself a bath. How?
They aren’t able to make new computers, but they still have old ones
Patrícia
Darcy
This is a hard book for me to review due to how I felt about the book.

What I really liked about the book was Thorn, her friends, and her workshop. The relationships between all of these people were fun to read and you can really tell they are more than friends, more like family. I also liked the scenes where they were working in the shop, the laughing and teasing was fun along with seeing how they worked with the materials.

What I had a hard time with was the world that the book was set it. It w
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Not Good. My rating for this book deteriorated as the book went on. At first, the concept of Thorne being a neo-mage hiding in plain sight under threat of torture and death if she were caught sounded promising. But the plot was just a hot mess. Where it wasn't dull as dishwater- talking about the day-to-day minutia of working in a jewellery shop- it was confusing to a ridiculous degree. I found myself having to go back and re-read sections constantly because I was totally lost. Normally, I might ...more
Jesslyn
I'm currently re-reading the series to see if I feel the same way.

This series struck me as different from all the other Urban (post-apocalyptic) Fantasy that I've ever read. I must have started it 4 or 5 times before I got past the 1st page, and felt pretty stupid when I finally did.

Most folks probably know Ms. Hunter from her Jane Yellowrock books (HUGE kudos for not whitewashing the latest cover). I started with the Rogue Mage books and moved on from there. I really wish we could get more on
Blodeuedd Finland
I am torn over this one. It was good, but audio...it worked it just that if I did something else for a second then I got confused. I am sure I missed a ton of things in this book.

But the premise was so cool. Angels came down, killed humans and destroyed shit. Then suddenly they fought alongside humans cos evil spawns came forth. But the cool thing was, were they really angels, or aliens? Ohhh.

What was left was a post apocalyptic world in an ice age. So the world was truly good.

Thorn, the heroin
Cheryl
The Rogue Mage series by Faith Hunter is set in a post-apocalyptic world, some generations after Seraphs revealed themselves to the world and joined forces with humans to battle demons. Magic is unleashed upon the world when the offspring of Seraphs & humans come of age; these "mages" have the ability to cast spells, create amulets & wards. Because of their powers, they are kept in enclaves and strictly monitored. The heroine of the series, Thorn St. Croix, is a rogue mage, living as a h ...more
bedlambelle
Dec 24, 2014 bedlambelle is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I can finish this book. The characters are neither unlikable nor likeable. I dislike the world it is set in because it is so unrelentingly bleak. I think it is difficult but possible to write something about a horrible situation that still has lighthearted moments. The movie, "Life is Beautiful," is like that (although it could be argued that it is comparing apples and oranges). But the movie made me laugh even when the main characters were in a concentration camp, yet the sufferin ...more
Schuyler Greene
Lovely read.

I've only read one other book by F.H., Skinwalker and, like that one, this book tends to drag a bit. Her formula seems to be that she establishes the antagonist, conflict and crux of the plot from early on, daring you to keep reading in order to see exactly how it is resolved. Seemingly with nothing else to do, she then fills the story with lots of unnecessary details of the lead's daily life. This, admittedly, does help give her readers a slightly better idea of the protagonist's wo
Margaret

In a novel filled with lush imagery and exhilarating action, Faith Hunter creates a near-future world caught in the throes of an ambiguous apocalypse - where a woman with everything to hide finds her true destiny revealed.

As humanity struggles with religious strife and seraphs and demons fight a never-ending battle, a new species has arisen. "Neomages" are human in appearance, but able to twist left-over creation energy to their will. A threat to both humans and seraphs, they are confined in lu

Kate Woods
Thorn St Croix Stanhope is not your everyday hero, and she lives in a world most of us wouldn't recognize. Thorn is a stone mage, in hiding disguised as human, she lives in a post apocalypse(angelic apocalypse)Mineral City, NC where she owns a jewelry store filled with things she and her friends create. The world is run by the seraphim, and their agents, the kirk elders, it is a world where neo-mages are hated and everyone is expected to worship God the Victorious. Thorn's ex husband has been ki ...more
Aurian Booklover
As many of you know, I am not a fan of dystopian novels, but this series is written by Faith Hunter, and so I had to try. I had only time and energy to read a few pages at a time, and I am sure my understanding of the story suffered from that. But I still enjoyed discovering this new world. The apocalypse has come, the Seraphs has come and punished humanity for its wickedness. First came the plagues, and not many people survived. And now a new Ice Age seems to be covering the world with Ice. And ...more
He110Ne0
This book is VERY strange. I can almost guarantee you have not read anything like it before. It follows almost no tropes and shies away from anything "typical." This is both what will attract readers and keep them away.

Full disclosure, I tried to start reading this book once before and couldn't for the life of me get past the Chapter 2-3 mark. I couldn't get my mind around the world that Faith Hunter was building and I didn't feel like the story was progressing, well, anywhere. I decided to give
Tabitha Tomala
First off the world building skills of this author don't seem to exsist. The reader is thrown into a post apocalyptic world with multiple new species that are explained quickly, never giving the reader a chance to absorb the information and a history that is tossed at them in a news story. The main character does try to embellish the explanation after the news cast , even hinting at the possibility the supposed angels are actually aliens, but I was still left with so many questions.
And now for t
Whitney St-Marseille
This book had an interesting premise, but the style of writing was not my cup of tea. It was very much the sort of book that throws you right into the action at the very start without explaining the fantasy rules of the land or how anything works. You sort of have to figure everything out as you go along, and even now that I've finished, I still have a limited understanding how the Darkness or demon-spawn or whatever the hell are works.

I think with the whole mage-heat concept between mages, half
Alexis
Oct 14, 2010 Alexis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of science fiction, fantasy, or paranormal books
Recommended to Alexis by: the bookshelf
Shelves: adult, paranormal
I thought this book was great. Faith Hunter took a genre that was full of popcorn and fluff and made it seriously interesting. I've seen the idea of angels and demons in a dystopian world before, but Hunter takes a really good stab at what would happen to religion if the apocalypse happened - and God never showed up.
Pamela
I would have gicven this 3 1/2 stars, but Goodreads doesn't do that. I will try to read the next two books in the series, as sometimes the next one gets better. Mostly there is not enough action and the hook wasn't there in the beginning as should be. But the book has potential, so I will read the others.
Beatrice
I could not put this book down! I was hooked from the beginning. I love the mythos of the series, how the author combines religion with post-apocalyptic life. It's got adventure, a little bit of romance, good versus evil, everything you need for a great book. This is a highly recommended book!
What's The Name o...: there are witches and snow all the time [s] 4 68 Aug 15, 2012 11:43AM
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • The Devil & Venus di Milo (Witches Anonymous, #0.5)
  • Easy Pickings (Walker Papers, #7.6)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • Shadow Blade (Shadowchasers, #1)
  • Highborn (Dark Redemption, #1)
  • Trick of the Light (Trickster, #1)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • Black Howl (Black Wings, #3)
  • Etched in Bone (The Maker's Song, #4)
  • Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)
  • The Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares #3)
  • Hallowed Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #2)
  • Spellbent (Jessie Shimmer, #1)
Faith Hunter's Skinwalker series is dark urban fantasy, featuring Jane Yellowrock, a full blooded Cherokee and hunter of rogue-vampires. Jane Yellowrock is a shape changer (shapeshifter) in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

Her Rogue Mage novels—Bloodring, Seraphs, Host, and the RPG Rogue Mage—feature Thorn St. Croix, a stone mage in a post-apocalyptic alternate reality.

The
More about Faith Hunter...

Rogue Mage (3 books)
  • Seraphs (Rogue Mage, #2)
  • Host (Rogue Mage, #3)
Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2) Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3) Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4) Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)