Bloodring (Rogue Mage, #1)

Bloodring (Rogue Mage #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  2,561 ratings  ·  221 reviews
In a near-future world, seraphs and demons fight a never-ending battle. But a new species of mage has arisen. Thorn St. Croix is no ordinary “neomage.” Nearly driven insane by her powers, she has escaped the confines of the Enclaves and now lives among humans. When her ex-husband is kidnapped, Thorn must risk revealing her true identity to save him.

Published November 4th 2008 by Roc (first published November 7th 2006)

Amy
Faith Hunter imagines a post-Apocalyptic world filled with seraphs, Dark beings, and mages (as well as ordinary humans). Thorn St. Croix is an unlicensed mage living amongst the humans in secret in the town of Mineral City in what used to be North or South Carolin. Her ex-husband, Lucas Stanhope, is kidnapped in the middle of the night, and this event sets off a series of events that leads Thorn to believe that something Dark and dangerous is massing an army in the mountain behind the town. As T...more
Dharma Kurlind
Let me just say how shocked I am that I didn't like this book. I love Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series. But I really, really didn't like Bloodring. I listened through the whole audiobook, convinced that eventually I'd care for the heroine, care for the plot, but I didn't. It's just too much - too post-apocalyptic/new ice-age, too high fantasy, too foreign, too alien. We have new mages, and half-breeds, and Sarephs, and demon spawn, and none of them are human, but somehow the combination bet...more
Rhianon
A 4'10" female riding a Fresian? A stallion, no less? Granted, they aren't hot-blooded but I'm still struggling with the practicality of that combination. And likewise, someone else riding a Clydesdale. *snorts* Don't get me wrong, it's done. But it is far from practical, far from comfortable, especially traveling long distances. It's like straddling an oil drum.

This is one of those instances where it really does pay to stay within the bounds of realism for the sake of your readership. Because t...more
Ian
Nov 01, 2013 Ian marked it as z-dnf-too-busy-clawing-out-my-eyes  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading tax law.
As a general rule I won't rate a book that I DNF and read less than 50%. So no rating.

Bloodring, well the 40% I read before I walked away, is a bit of a disaster. It's monotonous, the characters are remote, the story...well you would think by 40% I would have a vague idea of what's going on but honestly I had no idea.

Faith Hunter is a talented writer. Her Skinwalker series is a personal favorite. This book is going into the bowels of hell and hopefully it is never mentioned again.
Rebecca C
Rogue Mage series (Book 1) | So if the Mercy Thompson/Rachel Morgan books are your fair-to-middling examples of a well-written urban fantasy series, these Rogue Mage books have to be the ugly red-headed stepchildren. Because they're not well-written. At all. But, you know, it's pretty much my own fault. With an authorial pseudonym like 'Faith Hunter' I should have realized what I was getting myself into. Anyway, Blood Ring takes place in a post-apocalyptic small-town of what's left of America, a...more
LiteraryLover
This book started out interesting, then started to confuse the heck out of me, then bored me to the point of wanting to not finish it, but towards the end it redeemed itself enough for me to say it was decent. At times it felt like a high fantasy novel but then they'd mention their phones and televisions and I'd remember it's urban fantasy and post-apocolyptic. However the characters and the world definitely feel and act more towards the high fantasy side. There's not a whole lot of action going...more
Kati
This book turned out to be better than I thought. At first, I just couldn't get into it - too much exposition for my liking. But even though there was something off about the story telling, I really liked the characters, especially the seraphs fascinated me.
Jensownzoo
I liked the characterizations and interactions and the pacing (kept reading to find out what happened next). An interesting take on revelation/end of the world with some suggestions that the human race is being hoodwinked about the whole deal.

However, I think the "mage heat" device could have been lifted out of the story en toro and not made much of a difference in the story...indicating dead weight (and something more suited to a cheesy romance novel anyway). Maybe a minor point, but something...more
Sapphire
I would have given this 3 1/2 stars, but Goodreads doesn't do that. I will try to read the next two books in the series, as sometimes the next one gets better. Mostly there is not enough action and the hook wasn't there in the beginning as should be. But the book has potential, so I will read the others.
Amanda
Bloodring starts in the middle of everything. While this tends to be a good formula for most novels, it didn't quite work as well here. I had to spend much of the first half of the novel trying to figure out what was going on and what the mechanics of the world were. The plot was also excruciating slow and I found myself frequently getting lost between what was going on and what the rules of the world are -not to mention what exists in it. Finally, about half way through the plot started to get...more
Lexi Ander
This is my second read through this book. I still agree with my initial rating for the book. I loved the post-apocalyptic world with angels, The Powers, the second unforeseen, and neomages. I have to say it has some of the best scenes when it came to casting magic that I have read. The scenes were well thought out and the foreignness was explained in such a way that I was able to follow along and understand the limitations. The use of religion and religious scripture; putting power into and behi...more
Ellese
I added this to my favorites because 1.) I love Faith Hunter no matter what, and 2.) this book has such an interesting story. The reason it only got 3 stars? Despite my fandom of Hunter, this was not one of her best. The story is a great one but I kept thinking, this could have been explained more, or this could have been a bit different. I felt at times I was playing catch up.

The story is a new one though. Hunter hits new territory by making this series a more Biblical one. It has angels, serap...more
Nicole
I liked the sample chapter provided by Amazon. But when I read the book the world didn’t make much sense to me. And I always have a big problem when the world-building doesn’t makes sense to me.
The story takes place 105 years after “the end of the world” only the world hasn’t ended. So far so good. The technology that survived seemed random.
They don’t seem to have central heating, but the heroine often draws herself a bath. How?
They aren’t able to make new computers, but they still have old ones...more
slayra
Darcy
This is a hard book for me to review due to how I felt about the book.

What I really liked about the book was Thorn, her friends, and her workshop. The relationships between all of these people were fun to read and you can really tell they are more than friends, more like family. I also liked the scenes where they were working in the shop, the laughing and teasing was fun along with seeing how they worked with the materials.

What I had a hard time with was the world that the book was set it. It w...more
Jesslyn
I'm currently re-reading the series to see if I feel the same way.

This series struck me as different from all the other Urban (post-apocalyptic) Fantasy that I've ever read. I must have started it 4 or 5 times before I got past the 1st page, and felt pretty stupid when I finally did.

Most folks probably know Ms. Hunter from her Jane Yellowrock books (HUGE kudos for not whitewashing the latest cover). I started with the Rogue Mage books and moved on from there. I really wish we could get more on...more
Whitney St. Marseille
This book had an interesting premise, but the style of writing was not my cup of tea. It was very much the sort of book that throws you right into the action at the very start without explaining the fantasy rules of the land or how anything works. You sort of have to figure everything out as you go along, and even now that I've finished, I still have a limited understanding how the Darkness or demon-spawn or whatever the hell are works.

I think with the whole mage-heat concept between mages, half...more
Alexis
Oct 14, 2010 Alexis rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of science fiction, fantasy, or paranormal books
Recommended to Alexis by: the bookshelf
Shelves: adult, paranormal
I thought this book was great. Faith Hunter took a genre that was full of popcorn and fluff and made it seriously interesting. I've seen the idea of angels and demons in a dystopian world before, but Hunter takes a really good stab at what would happen to religion if the apocalypse happened - and God never showed up.
Pamela
I would have gicven this 3 1/2 stars, but Goodreads doesn't do that. I will try to read the next two books in the series, as sometimes the next one gets better. Mostly there is not enough action and the hook wasn't there in the beginning as should be. But the book has potential, so I will read the others.
Beatrice
I could not put this book down! I was hooked from the beginning. I love the mythos of the series, how the author combines religion with post-apocalyptic life. It's got adventure, a little bit of romance, good versus evil, everything you need for a great book. This is a highly recommended book!
Mary
Bloodring is the first of a series about a post Apocalyptic world where the seraphs pretty much enacted at least the seals of Revelation. But did not finish. Much about this world was confusing. There are light and dark powers, mages who are "soulless", religion is a mishmash of Christian, Muslim, Jewish, and other. Seraphs are supposedly running things, but worship of a Most High is different in different places. However, people can be killed for saying the wrong thing by the church leaders. I...more
Ginger
SOMETHING IS MISSING...

I was excited about this book as the description sounds fun and different. I was really suprised to find that i could not get into the story. I liked that the main character owned a gem shop as i love gemstones and jewelry and could totally relate. However, that is about it. I love this genre of books but there is something critical missing here. Around 5 hours into the book, i found that the book was just not keeping my interest at all! I was trying to concentrate on the...more
Barbara ★
Thorn St. Croix is an unlicensed stone mage who is currently hiding in Mineral City where a huge iceberg is threatening the town. For their own protection, neomages are required to be in the Enclave (much like the reservations American Indians were forced into). However, Thorn escaped when her powers showed themselves and nearly drove her insane when she started hearing thousands of voices in her head. Now she is hiding in plain site, running a jewelry store and using her powers clandestinely. I...more
Tricia
Dana
This was a nice change and I am looking forward to reading the entire series. I tend to avoid the more 'religiously' based post-apocolyptic/dystopian reads as they tend to have a pendantic flavor. Not so here and I appreciate it. As opposed to feeling that I was being coddled by fiction in order to have Christianity served up to me, I found this very informative and began to enjoy the biblical references as much as the interpersonal stories. I felt, as other do, that the mage-heat piece was a bi...more
Elizabeth
No one thought the apocalypse would be like this. The world didn't end. And the appearance of seraphs heralded three plagues and a devastating war between the forces of good and evil. Over a hundred years later, the earth has plunged into an ice age, and seraphs and demons fight a never-ending battle while religious strife rages among the surviving humans.

Thorn St. Croix is no ordinary neomage. All the others of her kind, mages who can twist leftover creation energy to their will, were gathered...more
Kraig Horton
Summary:

Bloodring: A Rouge Mage Novel is the first in a series of three novels. Thorn St. Croix is a "neomage" a creation caused in a post apocalyptic world where an ice age has come over the earth from a war between seraphs bringing God's wrath upon humanity and war happening with the darkness/devil spawns and humans.

Seraphs formed a new government and insinuated themselves into everyday life. They made the new law for humanity on this Ice age developed.

Neomages use left over creation energy...more
Chrissy Wissler
A near future world where seraphs and demons have decimated the human populations and where a constant war is fought between the two sides, Thorn St. Croix is caught in the crossfire. A neomage who escaped the Enclave at a young age, Thorn now lives among humans making stone-mage jewelry. But her secret is dangerous, for if seraphs, demons, or humans learn who she really is, she's dead.

Yet she has to risk her life and more when her ex-husband is kidnapped by demons. A simple promise to her step-...more
Becky
I really want to give it a 3.5. The more I dwell on this book, the more I wonder if part of my frustration is that I haven't finished the series. I enjoyed most of the character development, I felt they were real. It was a very interesting take on post apocalyptic earth, and what would happen. Having a religious background I recognized the scripture used in the conjuring and where most of the characters would have come from. I felt Thorn got a little whiny in the middle. For someone with such gr...more
jD
This one was good but not great. Ms. Hunter did everything she was supposed to do with the story and the characters. The audio production was well done and captivating.

The miss for me was that the main character seemed incomplete. I could not really get inside her head. Her actions made sense as heroes go but when told from the first person, it needs to provide a human connection. The character seemed to be on hero auto-pilot. She kicked some ass and had hers kicked as well but it only drew my e...more
What's The Name o...: there are witches and snow all the time [s] 4 66 Aug 15, 2012 11:43AM
  • Highborn (Dark Redemption, #1)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • Spellbent (Jessie Shimmer, #1)
  • Easy Pickings
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • Trick of the Light (Trickster, #1)
  • Black Night (Black Wings, #2)
  • Staying Dead (Retrievers, #1)
  • Bloodmagic (Blood Destiny, #2)
  • Saint City Sinners (Dante Valentine, #4)
  • A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1)
  • The Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares #3)
  • Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra, #4)
  • Fallen (Eyes of the Republic, #1)
  • Once Bitten (Haven, #1)
  • Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1)
Faith Hunter's Skinwalker series is dark urban fantasy, featuring Jane Yellowrock, a full blooded Cherokee and hunter of rogue-vampires. Jane Yellowrock is a shape changer (shapeshifter) in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

Her Rogue Mage novels—Bloodring, Seraphs, Host, and the RPG Rogue Mage—feature Thorn St. Croix, a stone mage in a post-apocalyptic alternate reality.

A ne...more
More about Faith Hunter...
Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2) Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3) Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4) Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)