Start by marking “Bloodring (Rogue Mage, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodring (Rogue Mage, #1)

Bloodring (Rogue Mage #1)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  3,826 Ratings  ·  278 Reviews
In a near-future world, seraphs and demons fight a never-ending battle. But a new species of mage has arisen. Thorn St. Croix is no ordinary “neomage.” Nearly driven insane by her powers, she has escaped the confines of the Enclaves and now lives among humans. When her ex-husband is kidnapped, Thorn must risk revealing her true identity to save him.
Published November 4th 2008 by Roc (first published November 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodring

This book turned out to be better than I thought. At first, I just couldn't get into it - too much exposition for my liking. But even though there was something off about the story telling, I really liked the characters, especially the seraphs fascinated me.
Jan 08, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Faith Hunter imagines a post-Apocalyptic world filled with seraphs, Dark beings, and mages (as well as ordinary humans). Thorn St. Croix is an unlicensed mage living amongst the humans in secret in the town of Mineral City in what used to be North or South Carolin. Her ex-husband, Lucas Stanhope, is kidnapped in the middle of the night, and this event sets off a series of events that leads Thorn to believe that something Dark and dangerous is massing an army in the mountain behind the town. As T ...more
I liked the characterizations and interactions and the pacing (kept reading to find out what happened next). An interesting take on revelation/end of the world with some suggestions that the human race is being hoodwinked about the whole deal.

However, I think the "mage heat" device could have been lifted out of the story en toro and not made much of a difference in the story...indicating dead weight (and something more suited to a cheesy romance novel anyway). Maybe a minor point, but something
Sep 28, 2011 Rhianon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dnf
A 4'10" female riding a Fresian? A stallion, no less? Granted, they aren't hot-blooded but I'm still struggling with the practicality of that combination. And likewise, someone else riding a Clydesdale. *snorts* Don't get me wrong, it's done. But it is far from practical, far from comfortable, especially traveling long distances. It's like straddling an oil drum.

This is one of those instances where it really does pay to stay within the bounds of realism for the sake of your readership. Because t
Summer Ann
This book started out interesting, then started to confuse the heck out of me, then bored me to the point of wanting to not finish it, but towards the end it redeemed itself enough for me to say it was decent. At times it felt like a high fantasy novel but then they'd mention their phones and televisions and I'd remember it's urban fantasy and post-apocolyptic. However the characters and the world definitely feel and act more towards the high fantasy side. There's not a whole lot of action going ...more
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Very interesting take on "what if" the world didn't end like we all thought it would be. It has dark fantasy, a slight element of steampunk and some romantic subplots all rolled into one for a different sort of read on magic and religion.
Oct 02, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
4.5 stars. Liked it even more on the second read. Dark, lush worldbuilding with interesting characters.
Mar 08, 2010 Beatrice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down! I was hooked from the beginning. I love the mythos of the series, how the author combines religion with post-apocalyptic life. It's got adventure, a little bit of romance, good versus evil, everything you need for a great book. This is a highly recommended book!
Aug 17, 2011 Jesslyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently re-reading the series to see if I feel the same way.

This series struck me as different from all the other Urban (post-apocalyptic) Fantasy that I've ever read. I must have started it 4 or 5 times before I got past the 1st page, and felt pretty stupid when I finally did.

Most folks probably know Ms. Hunter from her Jane Yellowrock books (HUGE kudos for not whitewashing the latest cover). I started with the Rogue Mage books and moved on from there. I really wish we could get more on
Apr 23, 2010 Darcy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, fantasy
This is a hard book for me to review due to how I felt about the book.

What I really liked about the book was Thorn, her friends, and her workshop. The relationships between all of these people were fun to read and you can really tell they are more than friends, more like family. I also liked the scenes where they were working in the shop, the laughing and teasing was fun along with seeing how they worked with the materials.

What I had a hard time with was the world that the book was set it. It w
Lexi Ander
This is my second read through this book. I still agree with my initial rating for the book. I loved the post-apocalyptic world with angels, The Powers, the second unforeseen, and neomages. I have to say it has some of the best scenes when it came to casting magic that I have read. The scenes were well thought out and the foreignness was explained in such a way that I was able to follow along and understand the limitations. The use of religion and religious scripture; putting power into and behi ...more
I would have given this 3 1/2 stars, but Goodreads doesn't do that. I will try to read the next two books in the series, as sometimes the next one gets better. Mostly there is not enough action and the hook wasn't there in the beginning as should be. But the book has potential, so I will read the others.
Jul 28, 2010 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have gicven this 3 1/2 stars, but Goodreads doesn't do that. I will try to read the next two books in the series, as sometimes the next one gets better. Mostly there is not enough action and the hook wasn't there in the beginning as should be. But the book has potential, so I will read the others.
Oct 14, 2010 Alexis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of science fiction, fantasy, or paranormal books
Recommended to Alexis by: the bookshelf
Shelves: adult, paranormal
I thought this book was great. Faith Hunter took a genre that was full of popcorn and fluff and made it seriously interesting. I've seen the idea of angels and demons in a dystopian world before, but Hunter takes a really good stab at what would happen to religion if the apocalypse happened - and God never showed up.
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Not Good. My rating for this book deteriorated as the book went on. At first, the concept of Thorne being a neo-mage hiding in plain sight under threat of torture and death if she were caught sounded promising. But the plot was just a hot mess. Where it wasn't dull as dishwater- talking about the day-to-day minutia of working in a jewellery shop- it was confusing to a ridiculous degree. I found myself having to go back and re-read sections constantly because I was totally lost. Normally, I might ...more
Becca C
Mar 13, 2011 Becca C rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rogue Mage series (Book 1) | So if the Mercy Thompson/Rachel Morgan books are your fair-to-middling examples of a well-written urban fantasy series, these Rogue Mage books have to be the ugly red-headed stepchildren. Because they're not well-written. At all. But, you know, it's pretty much my own fault. With an authorial pseudonym like 'Faith Hunter' I should have realized what I was getting myself into. Anyway, Blood Ring takes place in a post-apocalyptic small-town of what's left of America, a ...more
Dharma Kurlind
Apr 20, 2011 Dharma Kurlind rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me just say how shocked I am that I didn't like this book. I love Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series. But I really, really didn't like Bloodring. I listened through the whole audiobook, convinced that eventually I'd care for the heroine, care for the plot, but I didn't. It's just too much - too post-apocalyptic/new ice-age, too high fantasy, too foreign, too alien. We have new mages, and half-breeds, and Sarephs, and demon spawn, and none of them are human, but somehow the combination bet ...more
Leslie - keepsbooks
I've had this trilogy sitting on my shelves for years but was never in the "right" mood for it, but having just finished a Jane Yellowrock binge, I was looking for a Faith Hunter-fix and stumbled upon The Rogue Mage books in a back corner of Mt. TBR.

Bloodring (Book 1) suffers a bit from first-in-series-itis: characters to introduce, worlds to build, mythology to explain -

- but this can drag the action down to a crawl and that's what happens here. If the early pages had been as engaging as the
Jun 19, 2011 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signal
Angels and devils show up on Earth, and neither group likes humans particularly. Was doing well for a while, but then it got all reciting-scripture-y and interpreting-the-book-of-revelations-literally-y. The main character's secret plan for solving the devil-infestation problem turns out to be to beg the angels for help and hope they don't kill her.

Left big chunks of plot unresolved at the end; it's unclear if this is an "I'll leave that for the sequel" thing or an "I have completely lost contro
small ice age 10 months of the year, too depressing
I need a sample to pull me in and rush back to Amazon to buy the full length book but I have not even finished the sample before realizing this is not for me
Sep 30, 2012 Ellese rated it liked it
I added this to my favorites because 1.) I love Faith Hunter no matter what, and 2.) this book has such an interesting story. The reason it only got 3 stars? Despite my fandom of Hunter, this was not one of her best. The story is a great one but I kept thinking, this could have been explained more, or this could have been a bit different. I felt at times I was playing catch up.

The story is a new one though. Hunter hits new territory by making this series a more Biblical one. It has angels, serap
Dec 08, 2012 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the sample chapter provided by Amazon. But when I read the book the world didn’t make much sense to me. And I always have a big problem when the world-building doesn’t makes sense to me.
The story takes place 105 years after “the end of the world” only the world hasn’t ended. So far so good. The technology that survived seemed random.
They don’t seem to have central heating, but the heroine often draws herself a bath. How?
They aren’t able to make new computers, but they still have old ones
Feb 08, 2016 Ian added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading tax law.
As a general rule I won't rate a book that I DNF and read less than 50%. So no rating.

Bloodring, well the 40% I read before I walked away, is a bit of a disaster. It's monotonous, the characters are remote, the story...well you would think by 40% I would have a vague idea of what's going on but honestly I had no idea.

Faith Hunter is a talented writer. Her Skinwalker series is a personal favorite. This book is going into the bowels of hell and hopefully it is never mentioned again.
Blodeuedd Finland
I am torn over this one. It was good, but worked it just that if I did something else for a second then I got confused. I am sure I missed a ton of things in this book.

But the premise was so cool. Angels came down, killed humans and destroyed shit. Then suddenly they fought alongside humans cos evil spawns came forth. But the cool thing was, were they really angels, or aliens? Ohhh.

What was left was a post apocalyptic world in an ice age. So the world was truly good.

Thorn, the heroin
Aurian Booklover
Jun 04, 2014 Aurian Booklover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As many of you know, I am not a fan of dystopian novels, but this series is written by Faith Hunter, and so I had to try. I had only time and energy to read a few pages at a time, and I am sure my understanding of the story suffered from that. But I still enjoyed discovering this new world. The apocalypse has come, the Seraphs has come and punished humanity for its wickedness. First came the plagues, and not many people survived. And now a new Ice Age seems to be covering the world with Ice. And ...more
This book is VERY strange. I can almost guarantee you have not read anything like it before. It follows almost no tropes and shies away from anything "typical." This is both what will attract readers and keep them away.

Full disclosure, I tried to start reading this book once before and couldn't for the life of me get past the Chapter 2-3 mark. I couldn't get my mind around the world that Faith Hunter was building and I didn't feel like the story was progressing, well, anywhere. I decided to give
Lianne Pheno
Nov 01, 2015 Lianne Pheno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L'apocalypse à eu lieux, les anges sont arrivés, les épidémies qu'ils ont créés ont tué plus de 6 milliards d'humains ... mais tout ne c'est pas fait en un jour, les humains ont ripostés, des bombes ont été lancés et le résultat a été catastrophique, non seulement ça n'a pas empêché les différentes purges, mais elles ont plongé la terre dans une aire glaciaire, mini disent certains mais peu les croient.. Peu après que le calme soit rentré parmi les populations humaines un autre mal est arrivé, u ...more
I gave it 2.5 stars! Somewhere between being ok and liking it! I didn't care for the world in which this story took place! While the story was interesting, it became confusing with the Mistress! The characters, Thorn's friends and Thadd, were likable! I might read the next story to see if I enjoy it more!
What's The Name o...: there are witches and snow all the time [s] 4 69 Aug 15, 2012 11:43AM
  • Trick of the Light (Trickster, #1)
  • Highborn (Dark Redemption, #1)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • Black Night (Black Wings, #2)
  • Heart of Stone (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #1)
  • Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • and Falling, Fly (Harrowing #1)
  • A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1)
  • Fallen (The Prometheus Project, #1)
  • A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1)
  • Daemon Eyes (Daemons, Inc., #1 & #2)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • Darkborn (Darkborn Trilogy, #1)
  • Cast in Silence (Chronicles of Elantra, #5)
Faith Hunter's Skinwalker series is dark urban fantasy, featuring Jane Yellowrock, a full blooded Cherokee and hunter of rogue-vampires. Jane Yellowrock is a shape changer (shapeshifter) in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

Her Rogue Mage novels—Bloodring, Seraphs, Host, and the RPG Rogue Mage—feature Thorn St. Croix, a stone mage in a post-apocalyptic alternate reality.

More about Faith Hunter...

Rogue Mage (3 books)
  • Seraphs (Rogue Mage, #2)
  • Host (Rogue Mage, #3)