Start by marking “Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future” as Want to Read:
Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future

Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Superfoods are vibrant, nutritionally dense foods that have recently become widely available and which offer tremendous dietary and healing potential. In this lively, illustrated overview, well-known raw-foods guru David Wolfe profiles delicious and incredibly nutritious plant products such as goji berries, hempseed, cacao beans (raw chocolate), maca, spirulina, bee produc...more
Published April 28th 2009 by North Atlantic Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Superfoods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superfoods

Damien
David Wolfe books are always a "mixed blessing", but they are always informative, thought provoking, and inspire me to eat better. Of the three books by him, and of almost all the raw foodist manifestos, that I have read, this one seems to be the most intelligent and well researched. The most convincing thing about it is, I've given his advice a try recently; I've had some minor health issues these last few months and after a week of adding just the minimum recommendation of his suggested "Super...more
David
I first saw David Wolfe on the documentary Food Matters, and really enjoyed what he had to say about raw foods and superfoods. He has a vibrant energy that flows through his body and his enthusiasm about nutrition shines through his speech. That documentary really had an effect on me, and I have changed my diet a lot since watching it. Slowly, I have begun to include superfoods into my own diet, but I wanted to learn more about them.

This book covers Wolfe's top ten superfoods and includes honora...more
Dave
Loved David Wolfe in Food Matters and found this book fascinating. "Food" is a relative term, as you can't really subsist on goji berries, phytoplankton, and coconut water - but certainly the health effects these substances have are remarkable. Be interesting to "experiment" on myself and see what happens. Love David Wolfe's passion for what he does - we should all be so lucky.
Rebecca
Interesting book if you can get past David Wolfe's glamor shot on the cover and his persistent self promotion. Many of his claims are backed up by legitimate studies, but periodically Wolfe supports an idea with "cross-referenced internet research", so take this with a grain of (Himalayan crystal) salt.
Iona  Main Stewart
This is an extremely important book for all of us who wish to live in a state of optimal health. And surely we all wish that!

It introduced me to the concept of superfoods and I have now begun to include more of them in my diet. (I’d already been using coconut products and Spirulina, without knowing they were actually “superfoods”.) This is contributing to my physical and in fact total transformation.

David’s top 10 superfoods are as follows: Goji berries, Cacao (raw chocolate), Maca, Bee products...more
Michelle
He's an interesting pioneer.

Even though I think peeps give way to much credit to anyone for being the "best" at one tiny thing, instead of a wholistic life.. which generally is not a famous or entrepreneurial one.

I feel the same way about "superfoods". I absolutely believe that some foods are pretty amaZIng, but the better approach to diet is prolly being consistent with the fresh, local food and adaptogens you have. Especially the ones you love. Over time, this will achieve more.

The best app...more
Kelley
The information tends to repeat itself, possibly unavoidably so (a nutrient in one food probably performs much the same in another), and the information for each food reads much like the product information pages on his company's (Sunfood) website. Still, it's good information, and a good start on researching the nutritional content of foods I've been reading a lot about lately.
Terri Rogers
This is an awesome book. Interesting to read about how powerful our food can be. Now to figure out how to incorporate these ideas into my own diet(without barfing....a.k.a. bee pollen). This is the kind of book you need to keep and use as a reference guide.
Michelle
Excellent info in a fun-to read format on the latest research regarding nutritious and delicious "superfoods." These are foods from around the globe which are packed with phytonutrients and anti-oxidants. Good recipes, too!
Millicent
This is the most comprehensive guide to superfoods that you will find on the market. David Wolfe gives detailed information on the nutritional quality of each superfood, their history, what to look for in purchasing them, and provides nutritionally dense raw recipes. What sets this book apart from other books on superfoods is that he backs up his statements with a glossary of studies at the back of the book. The health food movement is often dismissed as hippy quack science, so backing up your s...more
Beth
Fascinating that these superfoods can do so much. The author makes great health seem attainable abs accessible if you open your mind to new ideas of food.
Phredric
Enjoyed flicking through this but didn't hold my attention.
Antoinette
After buying several less expensive blenders and smoothie makers, I finally invested in a Vitamix. It's a definite must-have for anyone who wants to do protein shake meals and/or other health-conscious cooking.

I saw David Wolfe on an infomercial for the newest Ninja blender. David talked about the book included with The Ninja that had several recipes tailored to men and women. I was definitely interested in getting the book, but I wasn't going to buy "another" Ninja just to get it. :) So, I hopp...more
Molly Cecile
This is one of the most important books to read if you're interested in health. David Wolfe provides all the information on the most important superfoods and in such a way, as if you were sitting across from him and just having a laid-back conversation. He is such a cool guy and sometimes you even laugh throughout the book. It's is such an interesting book and it includes the history of each superfood! I mean 'myths' about a 220 year old man, who drank goji berry soup every day - That's amazing!...more
Helen
I have read this book twice and keep referring back to it. The author does a great job of providing a history of the super foods, what It does for the body and recipes on how to use. A huge mine of information for anyone serious about improving their health. My cupboard now contains maca powder, goji berries and I try to include spirulina and chlorella recommended by him in my smoothies.
Waseem
Fantastic book, and could have not come at a better time for me as I battle against UC, this book not only gave me upto date viable solitons but helped me replace a bad for you diet with a much healthier option opening my eyes to much more NUTRITIOUS AND HEALTH BOOSTING FOODS- it's amazing hoe much I picked up and learned from this book...

... My first introduction into David Wolfs book and some of his additional work turning me into a fan and excited to explore even more of him and his other boo...more
Frederick Jaxheimer
This book was a fun read and very educational. There is real passion in educating others about the nutritional power of these foods. David Wolfe writes a nice book on foods that can be highly nourishing, highly health promoting, healing and fun. He provides history of each food, what to buy and recommendations on amounts as well as providing some recipes. I have added several of these Superfoods to my diet and will continue to have fun adding more. I understand that Wolfe wrote two other books,...more
James Andersen
I enjoyed reading this book very much. I intend to start working out and trying to build mass, and I wanted to read this book into know what high quality foods would lead to the best effect on my workout. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in trying to improve overall health and longevity. The author provides so much information in this generous sized book but in an easy to understand way.
Ashley
Good info. A little dry.
Kathy
There is a lot to take in with this book if you aren't that familiar with basic good nutrition or used to eating everyday processed foods.

There are many options to consider for a wide variety of ways to improve overall and specific health issues caused by 21st century living.

Very useful if you want to prepare to make small or major changes for a long term better health and quality of life.
Maria
A great reference book which is very useful when trying to plan which superfoods to incorporate into your diet, the amount which should be eaten and the form in which it should be taken. I read it cover to cover, but works equally well (perhaps more so) if you are dipping in & out of it. A great reference into the future. We should all eat more superfoods !
Buckle Button Zip
David Wolfe knows his superfoods. I'm always looking to tweak my diet and to feel even better. Most of these superfoods I already know about, but don't eat consistently. His research and knowledge of foods have given me a soft push to add them to my grocery cart each week. We've gotten so far away from what's really good for our bodies.
Will Jeffries
David Wolfe is so much fun to watch and listen to. He has knowledge just pouring out of his head, at all times.

His passion is definitely educating the world around alternative forms of foods and new healing modalities. I absolutely love the products he endorses. They are legit.

An empowering read.
Karen Sambogna
Great book loaded with information on foods that can be both nourishing and healing. He provides a history of each food, details on what to buy, and recommendations on amounts as well as recipes. I have used (and will continue to use) superfoods in my diet and recommend them to my clients.
Bud
Oct 24, 2011 Bud is currently reading it
My wife, Nikki, and I love eating natural, organic foods. We live in the country south of Montgomery, Alabama and have grounds to grow such. This is just another book we are reading by like-minded people.
Claudia
Loved the info given in this book. I believe there are other super foods out there along with these but this book gives a good overview of some super foods I wasn't aware of or have heard only a little about.
Great information. Glad I already incorporate some of these foods and can easily add a few more to my family's diet. I don't plan to stress about adding them all. Cost and taste are a factor.
Maria
I love David Wolf and this book doesn't disappoint. Its interesting, easy to read and full of hard to find accurate information on superfoods and how they can help you create optimal health.
Kimmy
Sep 16, 2011 Kimmy added it
Looking at food as vitamin, as nutrient. Spirulina, bee pollen, cacao and goji will now be part of my preventative 'medicine' insurance policy.
Kat
great book! Full of nice recipes and ideas for using the superfoods, plus lots of interesting personal experience information about the foods.
  • Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills
  • Conscious Eating
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
  • The Gerson Therapy: The Amazing Nutritional Program for Cancer and Other Illnesses
  • The Gabriel Method: The Revolutionary DIET-FREE Way to Totally Transform Your Body
  • Green for Life
  • Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement and Meditation in the Art of Medicine
  • Ani's Raw Food Essentials: Recipes and Techniques for Mastering the Art of Live Food
  • Raw Food/Real World: 100 Recipes to Get the Glow
  • The Coconut Oil Miracle
  • Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity
  • SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life
  • The Beauty Detox Foods: Discover the Top 50 Beauty Foods That Will Transform Your Body and Reveal a More Beautiful You
Nutrition and Wellness Expert. Author of Eating For Beauty, Superfoods: Food and Medicine of the Future, Amazing Grace, Sunfood Diet Success System."
More about David Wolfe...
The Sunfood Diet Success System Eating for Beauty Naked Chocolate: The Astounding Truth About The World's Greatest Food Amazing Grace: The Nine Principles of Living in Natural Magic Chaga: King of the Medicinal Mushrooms