Start by marking “Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future” as Want to Read:
Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future

Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  552 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Superfoods are vibrant, nutritionally dense foods that have recently become widely available and which offer tremendous dietary and healing potential. In this lively, illustrated overview, well-known raw-foods guru David Wolfe profiles delicious and incredibly nutritious plant products such as goji berries, hempseed, cacao beans (raw chocolate), maca, spirulina, bee produc ...more
Published April 28th 2009 by North Atlantic Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Superfoods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superfoods

Clean by Alejandro JungerSpent by Frank LipmanIntegrative Nutrition by Joshua RosenthalRadical Acceptance by Tara BrachMind Over Medicine by Lissa Rankin
IIN July '13 Book List
36th out of 54 books — 7 voters
The Juice Habit Made Easy by Jem FriarThe Natural Hygiene Diet by James Michael LennonBalanced Being by Natalie GroverThe Busy Executive Diet by Gabriella KindertSuperfoods by David Wolfe
Top Healthy Diet Books
5th out of 11 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Damien
Sep 18, 2009 Damien rated it liked it
David Wolfe books are always a "mixed blessing", but they are always informative, thought provoking, and inspire me to eat better. Of the three books by him, and of almost all the raw foodist manifestos, that I have read, this one seems to be the most intelligent and well researched. The most convincing thing about it is, I've given his advice a try recently; I've had some minor health issues these last few months and after a week of adding just the minimum recommendation of his suggested "Super ...more
David
Dec 31, 2015 David rated it it was ok
I first saw David Wolfe on the documentary Food Matters, and really enjoyed what he had to say about raw foods and superfoods. He has a vibrant energy that flows through his body and his enthusiasm about nutrition shines through his speech. That documentary really had an effect on me, and I have changed my diet a lot since watching it. Slowly, I have begun to include superfoods into my own diet, but I wanted to learn more about them.

This book covers Wolfe's top ten superfoods and includes honora
Iona  Stewart
Jul 17, 2012 Iona Stewart rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely important book for all of us who wish to live in a state of optimal health. And surely we all wish that!

It introduced me to the concept of superfoods and I have now begun to include more of them in my diet. (I’d already been using coconut products and Spirulina, without knowing they were actually “superfoods”.) This is contributing to my physical and in fact total transformation.

David’s top 10 superfoods are as follows: Goji berries, Cacao (raw chocolate), Maca, Bee products
Dave
Apr 21, 2011 Dave rated it really liked it
Loved David Wolfe in Food Matters and found this book fascinating. "Food" is a relative term, as you can't really subsist on goji berries, phytoplankton, and coconut water - but certainly the health effects these substances have are remarkable. Be interesting to "experiment" on myself and see what happens. Love David Wolfe's passion for what he does - we should all be so lucky.
Rebecca
May 02, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
Interesting book if you can get past David Wolfe's glamor shot on the cover and his persistent self promotion. Many of his claims are backed up by legitimate studies, but periodically Wolfe supports an idea with "cross-referenced internet research", so take this with a grain of (Himalayan crystal) salt.
Michelle
May 09, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth
He's an interesting pioneer.

Even though I think peeps give way to much credit to anyone for being the "best" at one tiny thing, instead of a wholistic life.. which generally is not a famous or entrepreneurial one.

I feel the same way about "superfoods". I absolutely believe that some foods are pretty amaZIng, but the better approach to diet is prolly being consistent with the fresh, local food and adaptogens you have. Especially the ones you love. Over time, this will achieve more.

The best app
Frederick Jaxheimer
This book was a fun read and very educational. There is real passion in educating others about the nutritional power of these foods. David Wolfe writes a nice book on foods that can be highly nourishing, highly health promoting, healing and fun. He provides history of each food, what to buy and recommendations on amounts as well as providing some recipes. I have added several of these Superfoods to my diet and will continue to have fun adding more. I understand that Wolfe wrote two other books, ...more
Kelley
Nov 22, 2010 Kelley rated it really liked it
The information tends to repeat itself, possibly unavoidably so (a nutrient in one food probably performs much the same in another), and the information for each food reads much like the product information pages on his company's (Sunfood) website. Still, it's good information, and a good start on researching the nutritional content of foods I've been reading a lot about lately.
Cheryl A
Mar 14, 2015 Cheryl A rated it it was amazing
David Wolfe does a great job articulating some of the best superfoods our planet has to offer. I am forever grateful for the information he provides in this book. Typically, we find nutritionists claiming foods are good for you, but fail to explain the science behind it or the origins of the food or any historical facts. David Wolfe explains each superfood in great detail, which allowed me to use my own intuition better in deciding which would benefit me more than another. I tried all of the sup ...more
Terri Rogers
Apr 13, 2012 Terri Rogers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
This is an awesome book. Interesting to read about how powerful our food can be. Now to figure out how to incorporate these ideas into my own diet(without barfing....a.k.a. bee pollen). This is the kind of book you need to keep and use as a reference guide.
Michelle
May 21, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Excellent info in a fun-to read format on the latest research regarding nutritious and delicious "superfoods." These are foods from around the globe which are packed with phytonutrients and anti-oxidants. Good recipes, too!
Millicent
Feb 01, 2014 Millicent rated it really liked it
This is the most comprehensive guide to superfoods that you will find on the market. David Wolfe gives detailed information on the nutritional quality of each superfood, their history, what to look for in purchasing them, and provides nutritionally dense raw recipes. What sets this book apart from other books on superfoods is that he backs up his statements with a glossary of studies at the back of the book. The health food movement is often dismissed as hippy quack science, so backing up your s ...more
Beth
Apr 03, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
Fascinating that these superfoods can do so much. The author makes great health seem attainable abs accessible if you open your mind to new ideas of food.
Phredric
Feb 23, 2012 Phredric rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
Enjoyed flicking through this but didn't hold my attention.
78sunny
Sep 14, 2015 78sunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Das Buch ist etwas für Leser, die sich bereits das ein oder andere Mal in einem Reformhaus oder Bioladen umgesehen haben und sich mit gesunder Ernährung auseinandersetzten. Außerdem sollte man definitiv bereit sein einiges an Geld zu investieren. Einzeln sind die Superfoods zwar schon teuer aber durchaus bezahlbar, wenn man bedenkt was für eine positiven Effekt sie auf den Körper haben. Die Rezepte in diesem Buch bestehen aber fast ausschließlich aus Superfood-Zutaten und das kann dann schon gan ...more
Antoinette
Aug 03, 2012 Antoinette rated it it was amazing
After buying several less expensive blenders and smoothie makers, I finally invested in a Vitamix. It's a definite must-have for anyone who wants to do protein shake meals and/or other health-conscious cooking.

I saw David Wolfe on an infomercial for the newest Ninja blender. David talked about the book included with The Ninja that had several recipes tailored to men and women. I was definitely interested in getting the book, but I wasn't going to buy "another" Ninja just to get it. :) So, I hopp
Molly Cecile
Apr 29, 2011 Molly Cecile rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, favorites
This is one of the most important books to read if you're interested in health. David Wolfe provides all the information on the most important superfoods and in such a way, as if you were sitting across from him and just having a laid-back conversation. He is such a cool guy and sometimes you even laugh throughout the book. It's is such an interesting book and it includes the history of each superfood! I mean 'myths' about a 220 year old man, who drank goji berry soup every day - That's amazing! ...more
Helen
Jul 22, 2014 Helen rated it it was amazing
I have read this book twice and keep referring back to it. The author does a great job of providing a history of the super foods, what It does for the body and recipes on how to use. A huge mine of information for anyone serious about improving their health. My cupboard now contains maca powder, goji berries and I try to include spirulina and chlorella recommended by him in my smoothies.
Tanner Kauffman
Mar 21, 2015 Tanner Kauffman rated it it was amazing
A good reference of foods that have incredibly nutritionally dense properties. It talks about Goji Berry, Maca Powder, and Cacao Beans just name a few. You should definitely take a look at this book if your looking for an organic way to improve your health.
Waseem
Apr 24, 2014 Waseem rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, and could have not come at a better time for me as I battle against UC, this book not only gave me upto date viable solitons but helped me replace a bad for you diet with a much healthier option opening my eyes to much more NUTRITIOUS AND HEALTH BOOSTING FOODS- it's amazing hoe much I picked up and learned from this book...

... My first introduction into David Wolfs book and some of his additional work turning me into a fan and excited to explore even more of him and his other boo
Annette
Jul 16, 2015 Annette rated it it was amazing
David Wolfe is a force of nature and in this ultimate book about the super and highly nutritious foods that nature has provided us he is also a gift. What a wonderful way to nourish the body and soul.
James Andersen
Nov 17, 2011 James Andersen rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, health
I enjoyed reading this book very much. I intend to start working out and trying to build mass, and I wanted to read this book into know what high quality foods would lead to the best effect on my workout. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in trying to improve overall health and longevity. The author provides so much information in this generous sized book but in an easy to understand way.
Kathy
Sep 10, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
There is a lot to take in with this book if you aren't that familiar with basic good nutrition or used to eating everyday processed foods.

There are many options to consider for a wide variety of ways to improve overall and specific health issues caused by 21st century living.

Very useful if you want to prepare to make small or major changes for a long term better health and quality of life.
Maria
Feb 26, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
A great reference book which is very useful when trying to plan which superfoods to incorporate into your diet, the amount which should be eaten and the form in which it should be taken. I read it cover to cover, but works equally well (perhaps more so) if you are dipping in & out of it. A great reference into the future. We should all eat more superfoods !
Danae
Dec 25, 2015 Danae rated it really liked it
This is really quite an amazing book! Yummy capabilities of food are incredible. Many of the most common medical issues and maladies could be cured simply by adding these and other superfoods to your diet. Can you imagine what would happen if the medical community embraced the information in this book? The recipe are a nice touch!
Buckle Button Zip
Mar 20, 2013 Buckle Button Zip rated it really liked it
David Wolfe knows his superfoods. I'm always looking to tweak my diet and to feel even better. Most of these superfoods I already know about, but don't eat consistently. His research and knowledge of foods have given me a soft push to add them to my grocery cart each week. We've gotten so far away from what's really good for our bodies.
Will Jeffries
Apr 21, 2011 Will Jeffries rated it it was amazing
David Wolfe is so much fun to watch and listen to. He has knowledge just pouring out of his head, at all times.

His passion is definitely educating the world around alternative forms of foods and new healing modalities. I absolutely love the products he endorses. They are legit.

An empowering read.
Karen Sambogna
Apr 08, 2013 Karen Sambogna rated it it was amazing
Great book loaded with information on foods that can be both nourishing and healing. He provides a history of each food, details on what to buy, and recommendations on amounts as well as recipes. I have used (and will continue to use) superfoods in my diet and recommend them to my clients.
Bud
Oct 24, 2011 Bud is currently reading it
My wife, Nikki, and I love eating natural, organic foods. We live in the country south of Montgomery, Alabama and have grounds to grow such. This is just another book we are reading by like-minded people.
Claudia
Sep 16, 2010 Claudia rated it really liked it
Shelves: holistic-health
Loved the info given in this book. I believe there are other super foods out there along with these but this book gives a good overview of some super foods I wasn't aware of or have heard only a little about.
  • Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine
  • Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
  • Green for Life
  • Raw Food/Real World: 100 Recipes to Get the Glow
  • The Gerson Therapy: The Amazing Nutritional Program for Cancer and Other Illnesses
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • The Coconut Oil Miracle
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • ChefMD's Big Book of Culinary Medicine: A Food Lover's Road Map to Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Getting Really Healthy
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • RAWvolution: Gourmet Living Cuisine
  • Your Body's Many Cries for Water: You Are Not Sick, You Are Thirsty!  Don't treat thirst with medications; A Preventive and Self-Education Manual for Those Who Prefer to Adhere to the Logic of the Natural and the Simple in Medicine
  • The Raw Food Detox Diet: The Five-Step Plan for Vibrant Health and Maximum Weight Loss
  • Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life
  • Living Raw Food: Get the Glow with More Recipes from Pure Food and Wine
  • The Hundred-Year Lie: How Food and Medicine Are Destroying Your Health
  • Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health
Nutrition and Wellness Expert. Author of Eating For Beauty, Superfoods: Food and Medicine of the Future, Amazing Grace, Sunfood Diet Success System."
More about David Wolfe...