Start by marking “The New Avengers, Vol. 9: Secret Invasion - Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
The New Avengers, Vol. 9: Secret Invasion - Vol. 2

The New Avengers, Vol. 9: Secret Invasion - Vol. 2 (The New Avengers #9)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  647 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Spider-Man versus Captain America in the jungles of the Savage Land But who is who and what is what? At least one of these people isn't who they say they are. Plus, a huge chapter in the Secret Invasion story as more information as to how the Skrulls set their major plans in motion is revealed. Plus, the dark secret of the Illuminati. Could it have brought about the Secret ...more
Published January 14th 2009 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The New Avengers, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Avengers, Vol. 9

Jaime
There are two New Avengers tie-in trades for the crossover event Secret Invasion. And honestly, there is no good reason, other than greed, why they weren't collated into one book. Never-the-less, they are well worth reading.

The first half of book 2 picks up from the "New Avengers Vol. 8: Secret Invasion, Book 1" Savage Land story. Captain America and the escaped heroes that had been replaced by Skrulls crash there. I'll admit that Cap confused me while reading the main event and other tie-ins. H
Valery Tzvetanov
This is the second tie-in for the Secret Invasion event. I didn’t like that there is not one separate story for this book. We have instead 5 separate issues which are helping us understand better the main event. Some of the stories are good, others not so much. For me, it was really difficult to remember what was going on some occasions and that’s why I’m rereading now the main Secret Invasion. I recommend reading this book simultaneously with the big event.
I’m still missing the art of Leinil Y
Fizzgig76
Reprints New Avengers #43-47. The Secret Invasion continues and the Avengers find themselves caught in the middle. The whole Secret Invasion illustrates problems with Marvel right now (and in general the entire comic book industry). The Secret Invasion limited series was so convoluted and made little sense because it criss-crossed multiple storylines and other books. It couldn't stand alone by itself. If a reader were to try to "jump-in" with anything Secret Invasion related, they would be so lo ...more
Brad
Another set of Secret Invasion side stories, here focusing on the Savage Land heroes, the Skrulls' experiments with the Illuminati , House of M, The Hood's gang of supervillains, and Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. These stories are hit-and-miss. I still don't understand the point of all the Savage Land heroes--the Skrull queen gives a weak "because we can" explanation that doesn't make sense. Similarly, the House of M/Secret Invasion mash-up reads like a justification for that other messy crossove ...more
Holden Attradies
Just like with the last volume, I really enjoyed that this was basically just back story for Secret Invasion. Seeing into the crazy things the Skrulls were doing and why was very enjoyable and seeing the lengths they went to to take Earth out of religious zeal made them all that more chilling.

The ending though, where Jessica Jones gets to steal the spot light once again, was my favorite. I adore her character, although I'm sad that her story now plays out in the background of the New Avengers/Av
Silas
I enjoyed this just as much as the previous volume. It gave some really interesting background for the Secret Invasion and its aftermath, as well as some cool stories that set up the Dark Avengers arc.
Scott Lee
I finished Secret Invasion this morning, and it was better than I expected. Bendis is hit or miss for me, and, honestly, I didn't expect a hit there i was pleasantly surprised to get one. New Avengers is nice, but it reads like deleted scenes or special features. I remember when Marvel would full-on crossover and just be up front about the reader needing to buy several books to get the story. That would be preferable to pretending that these issues contain meaningful quantities of story. They do ...more
Kris
Do you ever feel like you missed a chapter somewhere? The one where they explained everything? Yeah, that.
Meg Granger
I am SLIGHTLY less confused than previously.
Davey
Totally skipped over the fight. Weird and rude.
Adam
The last two issues in this collection were great. One features The Hood, who has the potential to be a really interesting character, and the other features Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. Both leave things hanging, and I'm excited to see where the stories go next.

The preceding several issues just echo and expand what was going on in the main Secret Invasion storyline, and were pretty stupid. I'll be perfectly happy if no Marvel comic I read ever again takes place in the Savage Land.
Mark
Shape-shifting aliens have infiltrated the Marvel universe.

This book follows the events of Secret Invasion from the perspective of the New Avengers.

Readers will need to pay attention to follow this complicated but satisfying story.

Notes
Red Hood plays a role.

Learning Curve
Moderate to High: Readers new to Marvel will likely be confused.

Reading Order
Occurs after the start of Civil War.
Becky
This was not fair! I was going along, enjoying the comic, and then BAM it was House of M all over again.
Literally.
It cut to the House of M plot and I had to watch Hawkeye devolve and Wanda try to end mutant kind all over again. I WAS NOT WARNED! UG so unimpressed right now.
But otherwise not a bad comic.
Thomas
Mostly side stories to fill out the background of the Secret Invasion. Not all of them are great but they are necessary for a better understanding of this crossover. The final issue (Luke Cage/Jessica Jones storyline) is very well done and probably the high point of this collection.
Zach Danielson
This Secret Invasion tie-in is a collection of stories that fill out the broader plot. It's still pretty confusing, but I found myself enjoying it nonetheless.
Ernest
This is a good volume that delves, sometimes into the dark, into the background of Secret Invasion. Unlike some of the other contemporaneous volumes, this one is worth reading as it adds something of value and interest to this storyline.
Patrick
Loving what Marvel has done with the Secret Invasion, Civil War, World War Hulk, all the Norman Osborne taking over stories - how coincidental that these stories are taking place what with what has happened inOUR America the past 10 years!
Shannon Appelcline
The Hood and Jessica Jones stories in here are great, but as with the Other Secret Invasion Avengers stories, this one is so disconnected that it's hard to enjoy it as a whole.
Christine
Wow. This is really in-depth. It almost makes you think the writers and bigwigs planned it or something. o.O
Theo Albert
A little disappointing. The story wandered away from the New Avengers. Mostly a backstory.
W.T.
My Avengers addiction is unhealthy...this series is outstanding! Wonderful, Mr. Bendis.
Clay
Way better than 8. Story seems back on track. Art is nice and consistent.
Sonic
This was fun,but it was not a cohesive book, unfortunately.
Angela
Good tie-in. Worth reading for the character pieces.
Tim
Very good tie in, added more to the main story
Sharon
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Michael
A very good tie-in to the main series.
Sierra
Sierra marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates: Death of Spider-Man
  • House of M: Civil War
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
  • Ultimate Comics Thor

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

The New Avengers (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 7: The Trust
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 8: Secret Invasion - Vol. 1
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 10: Power
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 11: Search for the Sorcerer Supreme
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers