Start by marking “Naruto, Vol. 42: The Secret of the Mangekyo (Naruto, #42)” as Want to Read:
Naruto, Vol. 42: The Secret of the Mangekyo (Naruto, #42)

Naruto, Vol. 42: The Secret of the Mangekyo (Naruto #42)

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,685 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Naruto is a ninja-in-training with an incorrigible knack for mischief. He's got a wild sense of humor, but Naruto is completely serious about his mission to be the world's greatest ninja!

The Secret of the Mangekyo

To truly end the Akatsuki's reign of pain, Naruto's teacher Jiraiya must delve deep into the past to uncover the secret of Pain's origin. At the same time, Sasuke
Published April 7th 2009 by VIZ Media LLC (first published May 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Naruto, Vol. 42, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naruto, Vol. 42

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoBleach, Vol. 1 by Tite Kubo
Good Manga
281st out of 468 books — 190 voters

More lists with this book...

Brad
Aug 06, 2015 Brad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, fantasy
Very sad. I knew it had to come even as I was reading it the first time, but it's still sad. I'll miss Ero-senin.

If that wasn't enough, we've finally got the long awaited fight between Itachi and Sasuke. It's only been forty-two volumes in the making. It's not like anyone had been waiting, what, eight years to finally see?

Do I sound bitter? Naaah... It's a fucking awesome battle.
Mary
Dec 31, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
VERY strong comeback from the huge flop that was volume 41.
Ashley
Jun 28, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
Arwen (Akke)
Jun 14, 2015 Arwen (Akke) rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, 2015
I'm getting back into this after a year, or so, and I don't understand what all the Japanese words mean. It seems like I have to do some research.
Liesolitte ♕
Jan 16, 2015 Liesolitte ♕ rated it it was amazing
"¿Me muero? ¿He fallado a todo el mundo? La auténtica vida de un shinobi no es como vive, sino como muere. Lo que importa no es lo que hacen en vida, sino antes de morir, lo que prueba su valía. Pensándolo bien, mi historia está llena de fallos. Quería morir como ellos. Había concluido cómo debía acabar mi vida hace tiempo. ¡Viví creyendo que mis inconvenientes sólo eran distracciones divertidas! ¡Que mis fallos ayudarían a forjar mi carácter! Y a cambio, ¡tras todas esas pérdidas y errores, se ...more
Kathleen
Aug 17, 2015 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Sasuke finally meets with Itachi at an old Uchiha hideout. Naruto's group is confronted by Madara Uchiha, who uses some type of teleportation jutsu. Jiraiya figures out who Pain is and inscribes a code on a frog's back to relay his intel back to Konohana. We also see in the flashback that the Fourth Hokage named Naruto after a ninja from one of Jiraiya's books. Jiraiya dies and I was super sad.

Sasuke begins fighting his brother, but the battle is Itachi's genjutsu within genjutsu. Itachi explai
Irene
Jun 29, 2013 Irene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: Μanga
Crying on this one too- *Ughhh* Jiraya....Minato...Kushina.... *sobs again*
Holly Fetter
Dec 27, 2014 Holly Fetter rated it it was amazing
imo this was one of the best volumes I've read so far in this series. Jiraiya...sob...he wasn't one of my favorite characters, but he was still awesome.
Tobi and Naruto's group meet, and the fun begins.
And we get Sasuke and Itachi finally beginning their beat down on each other. Reading that part of the manga I felt better about my relationship with my sibling, because no matter how effed up you get along, NOTHING compares to how messed up the Uchiha boys are. Dysfunction at it's most homicidia
Cindy
Apr 28, 2010 Cindy added it
What this book is about is Jiriaya fighting his students he taught a long time ago. But he loses the battle and he dies right after sending a message in a frog. Another part of this story is when Sasuke finally taking revenge on Itcachi. At end Itachi took his own eye out because Sasuke countered his attack. But another battle was going on, too! Naruto and his double gangers attacking his enemies. In the beginning of the story Jiriaya ran into a few friends and thats how the fighting start, so d ...more
Taruia
Oct 25, 2014 Taruia rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Pervy Sage is still battling pain and trying to understand how they work together, we also learn that Jiraiya knew Naruto's parents, so I guess that is a story line that will develop over the next few volumes. Meanwhile the second big battle of this volume is Sasuke against his brother Itachi. And we learn that Sasuke possesses the Mangekyo Sharingan ...
Florencia
Nov 21, 2014 Florencia rated it it was amazing
Esta ha sido la primera vez que he llorado muchisimo con la muerte de un personaje de Naruto. Sin duda, tenía un cariño especial hacia ese personaje y la manera en que se muestra su muerte, llena se flashbacks super bonitos del pasado y el último legado... simplemente me ha hecho llorar :(
Trevor Smith
Aug 27, 2015 Trevor Smith rated it it was amazing
Many things happen in this volume! First off the legendary battle between itachi and sasuke is under way and the self proclaimed Uchiha Madara has a run in with team 7! Would recommend !
Zachary
Oct 21, 2014 Zachary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book, manga
Never thought a Manga could bring me close to tears. My favorite character...passed in a glorious battle. He was a splendid Shinobi.
Calsi
Jun 19, 2013 Calsi rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013, naruto
Dayum. That was fast-paced... Had my heart pounding through the whole thing. Though the whole fire, lightning thing is so similar to Avatar: The Last Airbender. Oh. My. God. I just realized. Sasuke, aside from having a resemblance to Silver from Pokemon, is the fact that he's almost exactly like Zuko... The anger... the wanting revenge... the whole I-have-to-get-stronger-blah blah... They both started out so innocent and because Itachi killed the Uchiha clan and Zuko's mom just disappeared... th ...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Aug 25, 2015 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it really liked it
Well that was interesting. All the volumes, well some, are also good. Another good volume.
Kevin
Oct 30, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it
This book is about Sasuke fighting his older brother Itachi because Itachi wants to steal his brother's eyes so that he can be stronger than ever. He need his eyes because they give him eternal use of the Mangekyo, which is one of the strongest moves. After, Itachi is forced to use his Amaterasu to try to kill Sasuke. Who will win in this intense battle?
I picked this book up because I've always loved the Naruto series. They are very exciting and full of action.
I think my cousin would like to rea
Jussi
May 16, 2015 Jussi rated it liked it
I'm rating the series in a clump – see the last book (Vol. 72) for review.
AJ.C
Sep 01, 2015 AJ.C rated it really liked it
Naruto finally is staring to learn sage mod
Soul
Jul 05, 2011 Soul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I must say it is and it will forever be(fingers crossed) my favorite Manga novel read.

the way Masashi Kishimoto described the characters is just awesome, you get to see them growing up, becoming responsible... powerful...

and it is not just characters,

The plot itself is so much bigger... u simply can't get enough of it. and add to that,

u get more than just entertainment, you learn...
what is
responsibility,
respect,
kindness,
friendship...

so it is not just a manga it is a way of living... The sprite
Kirra
Aug 01, 2015 Kirra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
The end of this volume is intense.
Dymond
SO INTENSE
Kerie
Aug 12, 2013 Kerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, manga
Sobbed my eyes out for Jiraiya in the anime (and embarrassingly enough, in one of the video games). The manga didn't disappoint -- even though I knew what was coming, the end of Jiraiya is still overwhelmingly sad.

I was never really into manga before I read this -- but the character development and the richness of the story universe is extremely compelling. I haven't been interested in a fictional world as strongly as this in many years.
Bobby
May 16, 2015 Bobby rated it it was amazing
4.5
Migul
Apr 22, 2009 Migul rated it it was amazing
Finally. The time has come for Sasuke's revenge against his brother. Itachi finally has final battle against Sasuke. Meanwhile Jiraiya is fighting against his former student,Pain, the leader of the "Akatsuki", and Naruto continues with his trainig...
Hope Pedersen
Apr 04, 2013 Hope Pedersen rated it it was amazing
A promise is broken. A prophecy has been told, and it's outcome could change the world. Plus revenge is about to be taken. Naruto continues to capture the reader's attention with the art, fight scenes, and plot.
Federiken Masters
Jul 31, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Los mismos.
Recommended to Federiken by: Lo mismo
Peleas, peleas, peleas y más peleas. Y sin embargo, es uno de los mejores tomos en lo que va de la serie. De hecho, creo que sólo es superado por el tomo que viene, con más revelaciones que este todavía.
Stephen Wilkes
Jul 21, 2009 Stephen Wilkes rated it it was amazing
Master Jiraiya battels with the Akatsuki andtries to figure out who pain is. Meanwhile Sasuke has the final battle aginst his brother Itachi while discovering the secret to the Mangekyo Sharingan.
Susan
Jul 28, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: shonen_jump
Now poor Jiraiya will never get a leg over on Tsunade. And she was about to let him too....

Itachi goes kind of nuts. It's a good fight, considering the lengthy build-up.
Jenny
Sep 12, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Ch. 380-389]

Oh no Jiraiya died! :(
I remembered reading this the first time and I cried a lot.

SHOWDOWN BETWEEN SASUKE AND ITACHI!
OMG, EPIC!
  • Bleach―ブリーチ― [Burīchi] 32 (Bleach, #32)
  • One Piece, Bd.45 , Ich kann mir vorstellen, wir ihr euch fühlt! (One Piece, #45)
Masashi Kishimoto (岸本 斉史 Kishimoto Masashi) is a Japanese manga artist, well known for creating the manga series Naruto. His younger twin brother, Seishi Kishimoto, is also a manga artist and creator of the manga series O-Parts Hunter (666 Satan) and Blazer Drive. Two of his former assistants, Osamu Kajisa (Tattoo Hearts) and Yuuichi Itakura (Hand's), have also gone on to moderate success followin ...more
More about Masashi Kishimoto...

Naruto (1 - 10 of 72 books)
  • Naruto, Vol. 01: The Tests of the Ninja (Naruto, #1)
  • Naruto, Vol. 02: The Worst Client (Naruto, #2)
  • Naruto, Vol. 03: Bridge of Courage (Naruto, #3)
  • Naruto, Vol. 04: The New Opponents (Naruto, #4)
  • Naruto, Vol. 05: Exam Hell (Naruto, #5)
  • Naruto, Vol. 06: The Forest of Death (Naruto, #6)
  • Naruto, Vol. 07: Orochimaru's Curse (Naruto, #7)
  • Naruto, Vol. 08: Life-and-Death Battles (Naruto, #8)
  • Naruto, Vol. 09: Turning the Tables (Naruto, #9)
  • Naruto, Vol. 10: A Splendid Ninja (Naruto, #10)

“...Every single one of us goes through life depending on and bound by our individual knowledge and awareness. And we call it reality. However, both knowledge and awareness are equivocal. One's reality might be another's illusion. We all live inside our own fantasies, don't you think?” 63 likes
“Every human being relies on and is bounded by his knowledge and experience to live. This is what we call “reality”. However, knowledge and experience are ambiguous, thus reality can become illusion. Is it not possible to think that, all human beings are living in their assumptions?” 48 likes