Start by marking “Spin Sisters: How the Women of the Media Sell Unhappiness --- and Liberalism --- to the Women of America” as Want to Read:

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Blowing the whistle on a job she herself did for over ten years at Ladies Home Journal as editor-in-chief, Blyth reveals the almost institutionalized selling of a liberal/do-gooders message to women through chararacterizing women themselves as victims. Playing on women's compassion and ability to be hooked into "uplifting" stories with a moral or happy ending, American med ...more
Published March 19th 2004 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Spin Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spin Sisters

K
Dec 27, 2009 K rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy exposes
Recommended to K by: Steve Salerno in SHAM
According to Myrna Blyth, women’s magazines and media programming targeting women are selling women a whole lot of myths. Well, as the editor of Ladies’ Home Journal for 21 years, she would know. Here is a partial list of the myths Myrna identifies:

1. Women today are more stressed out and overburdened than ever (far more than the farmwives of 100 years ago with no electricity or indoor plumbing) and need to indulge themselves in all kinds of expensive ways in order to stay sane.
2. Every story ha
Karen Powell
There's a sensible message here buried under a heap of convoluted, hypocritical, finger-pointing. The message that women should be wary of what the media is feeding them is a smart one, but Blyth is unfortunately the wrong author to tell it.[return][return]Let's start with Blyth's argument that the media's effect on women is a liberal-caused problem. Her only evidence to suggest this is that high-profile news anchors Diane Sawyer and Barbara Walters are unabashed liberals. However, anyone with a ...more
Mary Karpel-Jergic
A dated book, it was cited in something else I was reading and it perked my interest. Now over ten years old it is going to quite naturally be out of date in many of its contexts but nevertheless it is an interesting tale of New York media mavens albeit a very biased one. It is always good to read about successful women who have achieved professional and economic success through their hard work and these media mavens are not shy in pursuing their goals.

Myrna Blyth appears to have moved her polit
Katie
Feb 21, 2008 Katie rated it liked it
Her take on liberalism and women in the media is scathing and entertaining althought at times she can be too caustic which takes away from the point she is trying to make.
Петър Стойков
Книга за женските списания и как те и "женските" ТВ предавания създават медиен климат, промотиращ ценности, чужди на мнозинството от обикновените жени, за да могат по-лесно да им продават рекламираните продукти и политики. Има много какво да се каже по въпроса за медиите, ориентирани към жени и за идейния и житейски климат, който те излъчват, но може би може да се каже по-добре, по-подробно и по-целенасочено, отколкото в настоящата книга. Не ме разбирайте погрешно - написаното е вярно и интересн ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2012 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was ok
Someday someone will write a real exposé of women's magazines and how they kowtow to advertisers. But that person isn't Myrna Blyth.

Women's magazines, with but one exception, are loaded with articles on painful and/or expensive fashion and makeup. But that's due to advertisers, who use insecurity to sell everything from cosmetic surgery to clothes to lipstick. You see the same preying on insecurity with men although it takes a different form (e.g., buy this car or drink this beer; otherwise, the
Raven
May 22, 2012 Raven rated it really liked it
I found this book to be really eye-opening and entertaining at the same time. Blyth gives us the insider's view of media and how it, basically, messes with our minds. One point that she made that really resonated with me is that, according to all the women's magazines and shows out there, we are all stressed out all the time. We think (if the stories filling women's magazines are any indication) we're too fat, too old, not pretty enough, over-worked, victims of huge amounts of abuse and discrimi ...more
Stacy
Jan 19, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it
Very insightful, and easy to read with the humor laced throughout. Ten years past its original publication date, it is only now starting to feel a bit dated with some of the examples discussed. Definitely a good read to enlighten the mind or affirm your existing suspicions.
Hessa Issa
May 11, 2015 Hessa Issa rated it liked it
Even though I didn't agree with a few things in the book, most of it is basic common sense that's hard to argue against without sounding like a raging nonsensical idiot... But there's still something about it that I just couldn't LOVE. But it's definitely worth reading.
Faith
Sep 16, 2009 Faith rated it really liked it
i'd give this 4 1/2 stars if i could; i really enjoyed reading it. it really helped me to change my mentality on how i live my life. i think i've had things together pretty well - i've made it this far, haven't i? - but i hadn't realized how much stress i was creating in my life.
this book helps you to see the importance of coming to conclusions on your own and not relying on the media to give you an unbiased report. it's amazing what happens in the media.
i have been recommending this to a lot of
Amy
Jan 01, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Very enlightening! I would recommend this book to anyone who is a sucker for those glamour magazines. We should avoid anything that makes us feel less worthy is any way, and this book points out all the ways that the media tries to do that. And she used to be a editor-in-chief of one of those type of magazines, so she knows what she's talking about.
Elizabeth
Oct 10, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Myrna is a conservative and a republican. She is also past editor of Ladies Home Journal and subsequently MORE magazines. It's dully written, but the insider look into how women in the US have been convinced they are inadquate and live on fear was informative.
Rae
Aug 16, 2008 Rae rated it it was ok
The author, a former women's magazine editor, admits that magazines and TV have a vested interest in keeping the American woman in a state of discontent. An unhappy woman is more likely to spend money to find a cure for her emotions. Well, duh.
Marcie
Jul 07, 2010 Marcie rated it really liked it
This book was a great read. I had a hard time putting it down. It was eye-opening to me to realize the ways that I had been unknowingly taken in by the false messages sent in women's magazines. I HIGHLY reccomend this book.
Rachel
Jan 30, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GREAT book! I learned a lot about how the media manipulates women. I am glad I read it. Not fabulously written, but such new ideas to me, with plenty of strong evidence.
Sage Streck
Aug 11, 2011 Sage Streck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! A very eye-opening read about the media and how it targets women. I could easily identify with her claims. Interesting and insightful.
Eric and Lucie
Jan 18, 2008 Eric and Lucie rated it really liked it
Insightful... interesting... It's hard to buy Glamour or Elle (or watch TV) after you read this book.
ayesha Akhtar
Oct 29, 2011 ayesha Akhtar rated it really liked it
Shelves: media-literacy
great read from the view of an insider. i would definitely read this again.
Nicole
Feb 25, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
Very eye opening. I learned a lot!
Jocelin
I thought this was a good read.
Melissa Kawalski
Melissa Kawalski rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Jane Gassner
Jane Gassner rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Nitay Arbel
Nitay Arbel rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Traci Evans
Traci Evans marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Rodney Harvill
Rodney Harvill marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Scott Jonas
Scott Jonas rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2016
  • What Our Mothers Didn't Tell Us: Why Happiness Eludes the Modern Woman
  • Laura Bush: An Intimate Portrait of the First Lady
  • Francesca's Kitchen
  • Beauty Junkies: Inside Our $15 Billion Obsession With Cosmetic Surgery
  • Women Who Make the World Worse: and How Their Radical Feminist Assault Is Ruining Our Schools, Families, Military, and Sports
  • The Myth of Solid Ground: Earthquakes, Prediction, and the Fault Line Between Reason and Faith
  • True Balance: A Commonsense Guide for Renewing Your Spirit
  • The War Against Boys: How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men
  • Fancy Nancy: There's No Day Like a Snow Day
  • Prude: How the Sex-Obsessed Culture Damages Girls (and America, Too!)
  • Allure: Confessions of a Beauty Editor