Peek!: A Thai Hide-and-Seek

Peek!: A Thai Hide-and-Seek

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Papa calls on all the creatures of the jungle to help find his baby in this tender, noisy, and gloriously illustrated game of hide-and-seek.

"Jut-Ay, Baby, peek-a-boo,
Want to play? Where are you?"

Baby knows that Jut-Ay means morning has come, and it's time to play. But where is Baby hiding? Eechy-eechy-egg! crows the red-tailed rooster. Is Baby near? Hru-hruu! Hru-hruu! whi...more
Published August 19th 2004 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Peek!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peek!

Hush! A Thai Lullaby by Minfong HoOne Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-GarciaShades of Black by Sandra L. PinkneyI Love My Hair! by Natasha Anastasia TarpleyGuji Guji by Chih-Yuan Chen
Chromatic Children's Literature
33rd out of 139 books — 21 voters
My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisHow to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie PricemanPossum Magic by Mem FoxBee-bim Bop! by Linda Sue ParkA Flower for the Queen by Caroline Vermalle
Read Around the World
60th out of 69 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Leslie
Peek! is rendered in cut-paper collage, watercolor and loose rhymes. I adore picture books that provide opportunities to expand one’s vocabulary. Peek! has great adjectives and creatures alongside fun to say onomatopoeia. I wish I’d found more images as the color palette is fresh and bright.

While the world is a lovely and lively place, father is always keeping an eye out. As the game progresses, the animals get fiercer, the father signals an end to the game, the child coming to him when he calls...more
Kathryn
Aug 17, 2010 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Crystal--thank you!
So cute and fun! Love the cute and atmospheric artwork and all the little touches that really make me feel like I was transported to Thailand. This follows the fun of hide-and-seek with a little girl and her father and all the animals they encounter along the way. The text is perfect for read-aloud.
Ameryn
Jul 22, 2014 Ameryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ameryn by: Carlsbad Public Library
Shelves: kids
Lovely illustrations that capture a parent/child relationship; I like that the story is about a child and dad playing together.
Robin
A little girl and her father play a game of "Jut-Ay", a Thai game similar to hide and seek. Children will enjoy finding glimpses of the little girl in the pictures. Various animals are featured: a dragonfly, a rooster, a turtle, a monkey, snake and even an elephant and a tiger! Some features illustrate the specificity of setting: the lush green foliage, the futon bedding, the rattan chairs, the orchid, the different animal sounds, the little girls' umbrella. Meade's brightly colored watercolor a...more
Lindsey
Format: Picture book
Age level: Preschool
Protagonist: A father playing hide-and-seek with his daughter

Brief Summary: This is an adorable story that has a father talking to different animals while looking for his daughter. Each part of the story covers two pages, and the little girl is hiding somewhere in all of them. Most of the story rhymes, which make it seem even more like a game. However, there are a few exceptions to the rhyming patterns, which throws off the reading.

The pictures are bright...more
Paula
A story in rhyme about a little girl who plays hide and seek from her father. All the animals are making sounds which makes it difficult for the father to hear where his daughter is. The father keeps mentioning that his baby cannot be found, which makes it maybe less appropriate for the pre-schoolers.
Linda
Dad is playing hide and seek with his young daughter in the jungle and discovers several different animals in his hunt. They all have very unique animal sounds and the little girl is easily found in each page spread. I was concerned with the tiger and dad's question of "did you eat her up in there"!
Vicki
Jut-Ay is playing peek-a-boo with her father throughout this beautifully illustrated picture book. A great one on one book to share with your favorite little one. This book was purchased and distributed to the monthly playgroup that my library and public school collaborate.
Misha
My son is all about this one right now because "Peek-a-boo" is his favorite game. Last night he ran around shouting "Green-back turtle, green-back turtle!" and mimicking the Thai equivalent of a rooster's call.
Mckinley
Sweet. For young children. Similar sound and look as "Hush: a Thai Lullaby." This one with father looking for daughter. The other is with a mother and baby.
Caldecott honor
June
Jan 30, 2013 June rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Thai and hide and seek requests
This one always freaks me out. A father playing hide and seek with snakes, crocodiles and tigers around? However, I do like the Thai setting.
Sarah Sammis
Cute book but it would be difficult for my daughter to read and probably would be a tongue twister if read out loud.
Lindsay
A bit long for story time, but a nice multicultural lapsit book with Thai animal sounds.
Gea
Aug 08, 2007 Gea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: childrensbooks
Love this book. But I also love Thailand, so that may be part of the reason.
Becky B
Becky B marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
May 26, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Minfong Ho is an award-winning Chinese-American writer. Her works frequently deal with the lives of people living in poverty in Southeast Asian countries.
More about Minfong Ho...
The Clay Marble Hush! A Thai Lullaby Sing To The Dawn Rice without Rain The Stone Goddess (First Person Fiction)