Start by marking “Roman Invasion: A British Boy, AD 84” as Want to Read:
Roman Invasion: A British Boy, AD 84

Roman Invasion: A British Boy, AD 84 (My Story: Boys)

Part of the million-selling MY STORY series that brings the past into the real world, giving it a truly human touch. It's AD 84 when Bran, a prince of the Carvetii tribe, is captured by the Romans. A legion of soldiers is marching east, to build a military road. It's hostile country, and Bran is to go with them as a hostage to ensure the legion's safety ... but no one is ...more
Published September 2008 by Scholastic

Hallie
May 09, 2014 Hallie rated it did not like it
This is a slightly-edited version of what I wrote on LJ when I read this book 5 years ago, having been delighted to stumble across it in a bookshop - the title made it very clear that we could expect a certain ideological slant. What we'd been finding, and what continued to hold true, is that books about Roman Britain written in the 1950s were generally pro-Roman (though Rosemary Sutcliff, at least, was pro in a very nuanced way), while those written in the 2000s tended to be decidedly ...more
Jess Zahra
Jun 22, 2016 Jess Zahra rated it really liked it
Reread in June 2015
4*. I thoroughly enjoyed this when I was about 9 years old and yet it was still enjoyable for a more mature reader. Where I find that some books in the "My Story" series simply state historical fact like a history lecturer and have no PLOT ( not mentioning any names *hem hem* Suffragette) this book had a bit of a sub plot with Simeon wanting his revenge which gave the reader some incentive to continue on.
However, I felt the characters and story were lacking charisma and in
Matilda Rose
11 year old Bran is a British boy from the Brigantes tribe. When the Romans invade, he is taken prisoner. His mum and sister are held hostage, so if Bran steps out of line, they will be murdered. He sleeps in a tent with two other prisoners - Greek citizens. Bran feels safe with them, to talk and share secrets, since they're not exactly Romans.

But Bran has bigger problems - he has to observe the Roman ways. They build roads with drainage systems, long, straight roads, so they can always see ahe
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly added it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Drayson
How would you feel if you were captured by the Romans and your mom and sister were killed? How would you feel if you were forced to work on building the road? Roman Invasion 84 AD is written by Jim Eldrige. The British prince (Brain) is captured by the Romans and has to work with Talos and Pentheus on building road. I recommend this book to anyone how likes war and traveling.
Rose Dawson
Feb 08, 2013 Rose Dawson rated it really liked it
Shelves: teenage, my-story
Ze série Můj příběh jsem přečetla snad všechny,co u nás vyšly.Tato se mi zas tak moc nelíbila,ale nebyla zas průměrná.Zřejmě to bude tím,že se mi líbí více z pohledu dívek.
Ramona
Mar 08, 2016 Ramona rated it really liked it
A great story for young children who want to be able to imagine what it was like to live through the times of the Roman invasion.
Delaney
Mar 29, 2016 Delaney rated it liked it
A very violent book.
Sheila Honeywill
Sheila Honeywill rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Angelica
Angelica rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2015
PM GRAVES
PM GRAVES rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
out of book ideas
out of book ideas rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Florina
Florina rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Fabrizio Viani
Fabrizio Viani rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Martin Košatka
Martin Košatka rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2012
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Annikka
Annikka rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Erik030413
Erik030413 rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2013
Megan Clarke
Megan Clarke rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Joy Rhoades
Joy Rhoades rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Colin Ginn
Colin Ginn rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Liam Millar
May 11, 2015 Liam Millar rated it it was amazing
cool
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Jackie Li
Jackie Li rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
I
I rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Evie
Evie rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Chrysti Riehl
Chrysti Riehl rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2010
Janet Metcalf
Janet Metcalf rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Gigi Thomas
Gigi Thomas rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
  • The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack, Ireland, 1845-1847
  • D-Day: Lieutenant Andy Pope, Normandy, 1944
  • Battle of Britain: Harry Woods, England, 1939-1941
  • The Crystal Palace: The Diary of Lily Hicks, London, 1850-1851
  • Exiles from the War: The War Guest Diary of Charlotte Mary Twiss, Guelph, Ontario, 1940 (Dear Canada)
Jim Eldridge is the author of many books for children, including titles in the My Story series, the Warpath books, and How to Handle Grown-Ups. He has had 250 TV scripts broadcast in the UK and internationally for children's and teen television, and is also the creator and writer of Radio 4's long-running comedy-drama series, King Street Junior.
More about Jim Eldridge...

My Story: Boys (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Pyramid of Secrets