Blaise Pascal: Reasons of the Heart

Blaise Pascal: Reasons of the Heart (Library of Religious Biography)

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), mathematician, physicist, inventor, and religious thinker was a man at odds with his time. The optimism of the Enlightenment and the belief among philosophers and scientists that the universe was both discoverable and rational made them feel invincible. Reason alone, declared the intellectuals, could discover a God of natural religion that was to...more
Published July 10th 1997 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published July 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Blaise Pascal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blaise Pascal

booklady
Today while putting books away I ran across this gem. Can't remember when I read it but I loved it. Not sure if it's because I love Pascal or if the book is really all that good. But it is full of his quotes and my copy of this book is full of colorful highlights--some are quotes from Pensées, but many are original--indicating I really got into this book. I can't find my book card. I have these little book cards I used to always put in all my books which indicated title, author, date I started a...more
Ryan
Pascal's story is fascinating. It's not my favorite writing style for a biography. Perhaps, there's a better biography of Pascal out there. Hearing how Pascal encouraged the Jansenists to hold onto their teachings despite pressure from the vatican left me wondering if Pascal would have ended up a Protestant had he lived when the papal bull was issued condemning his beliefs. But, it's speculation at this point.
Darin
Not a bad introduction to Pascal's life, but be forewarned: this is not a beginner's book. The author dives deeply into the details of Pascal's and the Jansenists' theology, so if you're just looking for the basic facts you're not going to like this one. Still, there's a good introduction into his thinking and writing here.
Paula
Mar 28, 2012 Paula added it
This was hard work! Not being a Catholic I found a lot of this book hard to follow and difficult to remember. I was looking for some insights into the faith of Pascal,but didn't really find any here.
John Connor
John Connor marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Kirk Bozeman
Kirk Bozeman marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Vipvy Panulin
Vipvy Panulin marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Cam Huth
Cam Huth marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Corey Kimball
Corey Kimball is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2013
Dan
Dan added it
Apr 13, 2013
Maria De campos
Maria De campos marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Chris Arreola
Chris Arreola marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Loudel St
Loudel St is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2013
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Jeni Enjaian
Jeni Enjaian marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2012
Ariel Morrison
Ariel Morrison marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2012
Kathy Robinson
Kathy Robinson is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2012
Mike
Mike added it
Sep 18, 2011
Critics on Trial: An Introduction to the Catholic Modernist Crisis The Oxford Conspirators: A History of the Oxford Movement 1833-1845 Edward Sorin The Counter Reformation, 1560-1610 (The Rise of Modern Europe) The Oxford Conspirators: A History of the Oxford Movement 1833-1845