Start by marking “Mission: Black List #1: The Inside Story of the Search for Saddam Hussein---As Told by the Soldier Who Masterminded His Capture” as Want to Read:

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A behind-the-scenes chronicle of the search for Saddam Hussein - told by the lone soldier who succeeded where an entire army failed = capturing one of the world's most elusive men.
Published December 2nd 2008 by HarperTorch (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission

Eileen
I re-read the book to prepare myself for the movie based on this book that will be shot this spring in Morocco and Jordan.

***

The day I found out that Robert Pattinson was going to play the lead in the movie based on this book -that's going to be filmed in the fall of 2012- I immediately ordered the book. It was definitely hard to get a copy, I bought a second hand one on the internet and just hoped it
would be in a reasonably good state. When I finally received it, I couldn't believe my luck; i
Stupid69lamb
Although I'm not really a fan of this type of books I've read it cause I was so curious about who Rob was going to play next. And I surprisingly really liked it! Although we all know how the story ends, the second half of the book is gripping like a thriller. I couldn't put it down. At first it's pretty confusing, since the Iraky names are pretty similar and I had problems remembering who was who. So I did a little chart where I wrote who was linked or related to whom and it prooved really usefu ...more
Leto2
Reading this book gave me new insights and understanding of the war in Iraq and how intelligence was (and is) gathered. The story was interesting and fairly captivating. It was also pretty short -- the author didn't waste time on irrelevant facts and tangents (which I appreciated). Before reading, I had zero knowledge of how we found Saddam, and I had no idea how difficult it was, but this book tells a major part of the story as the author was apparently one of the key people in finding Hussein. ...more
Lucy
Loved this book and can't wait to see Rob play Eric Maddox :)
Karen Klink
Not only is truth stranger than fiction but, in this case, it is much more exciting. Written in first person by the sergeant who masterminded the capture of Saddam Hussein, this story reads like a first-rate thriller. My husband couldn't put it down and neither could I.

Contrary to what he has learned, Maddox has his own method of interrogating prisoners, and it works. There is no torture here, merely the compiling of hundreds of hours of information from over a hundred detainees, many of whom ar
Jerome
An interesting and well-paced account by the soldier that headed all of the interrogations that led to Saddam's capture.

The book is an easy and quick read, maybe a little too rushed. There is little discussion of the actions of the special operations task force that actually hunted Saddam, but this doesn't hamper the story in any way.

Eric Maddox was the interrogator who focused on the path least traveled by our intelligence agencies, worked his way through Saddam Hussein's hierarchy of bodyguard
Wennie

I wouldn't have picked up this book, but when I heard it was going to be filmed with a certain actor in mind, I wanted to see what type of movie he would have signed up for.

The first few chapters of the book was a bit dragging, as the author laid the groundwork for his working hypothesis on how to find HVT#1. He went into t his chase, knowing nothing, with no preconceived notions. Because he started with a blank slate, he was able to determine which leads and informants were valuable to the se
Blake Hardy
This was an amazing book about the story of the search and capture of Saddam Hussein. I got to meet the author and hear him speak at a conference. Amazing story and an important event in our generation. The stories sometimes seem to drag, but are written in a way that makes you want to keep reading.
L
strangely i found this book compelling. As a history graduate and due to the proximity of events it was enthralling to read the story behind the capture of Saddam Hussein.

I actually had a lump in my throat as I came to the end of the book.

The writing is nothing to write home about, but the tale itself; the reality of the situation makes the book a page turner.

For those of you in the fandom and know about the forthcoming film I recommend giving the book a read. I think the film will allow Rob a
WOW. Definitely not a book I would have picked up had a certain actor not been cast in the movie but that being said, I really, really enjoyed this book. I am fascinated at how Sgt. Maddox was able to use his skills as an interrogator to create this picture of the insurgency and how that picture lead to the capture of Black List #1. This was a surprisingly quick read, the story flowed well and really grabs you right off the bat. If you like stories about catching the bad guy and if you remotely ...more
Susan
I really enjoyed this book but then I enjoy historical non-fiction and biographies. I found it interesting the way the puzzle pieces fit together for the capture to take place. You actually felt the intensity of Sgt. Maddox's race against time and the growing frustration with the military bureaucracy that he faced at times. It's amazing that Saddam was captured at all and I have no doubt that without this man's tenacity and determination, more American's and innocent Iraqi's would have died. We ...more
Shana
This read like a thriller and I really enjoyed it until the very end when SPOILER

Eric doesn't even get to go on the final raid or even know what happens until several hours after the capture of Saddam. It was sort of anti-climatic, but since these are true events there is nothing that can be done about it.

Throughout the book I sensed a sort of ineptness of the military that there was no through line. Once someone leaves because their tour is over, all their work and gathered intelligence isn't p
Cullenboyz
A really good read - kept my interest throughout, and had me at the edge of my seat for the last few chapters. I'm not one for military stories, and this was military, through-and-through, so for me to enjoy it this much is really something. Not Rob-inspired, either. Honestly, I couldn't picture him as I was reading, so I guess that will have to wait for the film. It was really a fascinating story, almost incredible in the timing, skill, and luck involved. Loved it!
Kristi
I really enjoyed the book Not the type I usually read, but ass many people have or will do I read it because Rob is doing the movie It was very interesting learning about interrogations and how he learned to hone his craft to get information for the people he had deal with.

I like how he was pretty humble through out the book, admitting he was learning as he went and at times had no idea what he was doing He was not cocky, but was confident as time went on
Dave Moore
Overall interesting, but encumbered by too much self-congratulatory back-patting. Just a hair's breadth away from a "Hey, look at me".
Julie
Despite clearly knowing the outcome of this book I could not put it down. It was fast paced, funny, edge of your seat reading. The personality of Maddox shone through & you felt his anxiety at trying to do his job, to deliver the targets. His humor and determination painted a thoroughly entertaining picture of the quest for BlackList #1.
Mark Fallon
Eric Maddox shares how he put together a matrix of relationships to track down the people who were supporting Saddam Hussein after the invasion, leading directly to the capture of Saddam himself. Maddox uses patience and personal needs, not torture, to get his prisoners to talk.

A real American hero.
Alicia
Apr 30, 2009 Alicia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs, military science types
Recommended to Alicia by: a bookstore guy at BWI
Shelves: nonfiction
The prologue hooked me immediately. The guy who helped Eric Maddox write this book is a good writer. The story itself was interesting with good use of anecdotes and parallels. If you're at all interested in Operation Iraqi Freedom, this is a book you'll enjoy reading.
Benjamin Newland
Found this one through a footnote on Slate.com. What an amazing story, and a fascinating look at how military interrogation can work wonders without ever violating the Geneva conventions. Read this one in less than 24 hours.
Tony
The article in Slate on this subject led me to believe this would be more about the application of network theory in an unlikely situation, but it was more thuggish frat boy go git 'em solider than I cared for.
Michael Taylor
Outstanding account of the painstaking effort it took to gather the informationnecessary to capture Saddam. A compelling book that examines a part of the story of American involvement in Iraq that hasn't been told.
Kelly
Holy moly! This is a screenwriters dream! Unbelievable the unfolding of events and the timeline in which they occur. Wouldn't have read this book if Rob wasn't going to play Eric, so I am very glad he made that choice!
Mark
Just awesome. Fantastic ! One of those books that you just want to fininsh in one sitting. Eric manage to bring across to the reader moment by moment, heartbeat by heartbeat account of his interrogation.
Maryam
Aug 01, 2009 Maryam is currently reading it
it sounds very interesting. i am not a big fan of this kind of books but my dad got it so i decided to read it.
also i am from Iraq so it will be nice to know how they GOT HIM.
Julie
Fascinating! This poor guy ran into every brick wall imaginable, but came out victorious. I definitely plan on reading this one again.
Ronni Knepp
One of my absolute favorites. Wonderfully written and easy to read and become absolutely engrossed in. Would highly recommend to anyone!
Tom Schaaf
This person was responsible for finding the link of people to get to Saddam Hussein. Not real well written but a good story.
Jessica
Very good. Finished it years ago now, so can't give a detailed review. Well worth the read, though. Eye-opening.
Tricia
I found this very interesting & readable. Maybe I do have interests outside romance and dystopian YA!
Very good book I was gripped from beginning to end!!
  • Greetings From Afghanistan, Send More Ammo: Dispatches from Taliban Country
  • Kaboom: Embracing the Suck in a Savage Little War
  • Intel Wars: The Secret History of the Fight Against Terror
  • Tell Me How This Ends: General David Petraeus and the Search for a Way Out of Iraq
  • Curveball: Spies, Lies, and the Man Behind Them: How America Went to War in Iraq
  • Assassins of the Turquoise Palace
  • Going to Tehran: Why the United States Must Come to Terms with the Islamic Republic of Iran
  • Desert Queen: The Extraordinary Life of Gertrude Bell: Adventurer, Adviser to Kings, Ally of Lawrence of Arabia
  • Paradise General: Riding the Surge at a Combat Hospital in Iraq
  • The Insurgents: David Petraeus and the Plot to Change the American Way of War
  • Enemies Within: Inside the NYPD's Secret Spying Unit and bin Laden's Final Plot Against America
  • Counterstrike
  • Spies Against Armageddon
  • Brains, Trains & Video Games
  • Cobra II: The Inside Story of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq
  • Dead Stars
  • My Friend the Mercenary
  • How to Break a Terrorist: The U.S. Interrogators Who Used Brains, Not Brutality, to Take Down the Deadliest Man in Iraq
Capturing Saddam: The Hunt for Saddam Hussein--As Told by the Unlikely Interrogator Who Spearheaded the Mission Mission: Black List #1 Mission: Black List #1