Start by marking “The Virgin's Secret (Lost City, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Virgin's Secret (Lost City, #2)

The Virgin's Secret (Lost City #2)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  800 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Even the least sensible woman knew, upon meeting his gaze, that here was a man who was more than he might at first appear, who might steal the heart of even the most resistant woman. But oh, what a lovely theft!

Adventurer Nathanial Harrington would never steal another man's discovery. And he'd never be so dishonorable as to tempt an untouched woman into his bed...even one
Published April 28th 2009 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Virgin's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Virgin's Secret

Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasSecrets of a Summer Night by Lisa KleypasIt Happened One Autumn by Lisa KleypasThe Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer AshleyTempt Me at Twilight by Lisa Kleypas
Victorian Romance (1837 - 1901)
140th out of 414 books — 218 voters
Reluctant Queen by Freda LightfootCode of Silence by Heather WoodhavenScandalous by Karen RobardsThe Virgin's Secret by Victoria AlexanderWaterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren
"Gabriella"
4th out of 16 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Angelc
Aug 15, 2009 Angelc rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Victoria Alexander's books, her books are usually a smart, sophisticated historical romance. So I was really disappointed that "The Virgin's Secret" was so slow. I felt like way more time was devoted to the mystery of the Montini Seal than was given to developing the romance.

Gabriella Montini's half brother was killed trying to find whoever stole the ancient seal that could have been the high point of his career. Gabriella vowed to find the seal to retore his name in the antiq
Brittany
Apr 14, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a Victoria Alexander novel in so long, that when I saw this book, I had to pick it up. And honestly...it was a very good read.

Gabriella Montini's brother, Enrico Montini, had a seal that he discovered during one of his adventures, but it was stolen before he died, and Gabriella decided that it was up to her to find it and present it to this society. But after breaking in the Harrington manor, after Lady Regina's coming out ball, that she found herself working with Nathanial Harri
Judy
May 20, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading The Perfect Wife and this book is the great grandchildren from that story. The Harrington's.

Nathaniel Harrington and his brothers were close in age and friendships. As children they played as all types of adventurers, pirates or like their great grandmother, smugglers.

They grew up and Sterling became the Earl of Wyldewood. Quint and Nate went on adventures. Finding artifacts and for Nathaniel, mostly covering up for Quint.

At their sisters coming out ball Nathaniel notices
Brittany
Nov 04, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-challenge
I had read the second in this series before this book and had to pick this one up! I am so glad I did! Nathanial, one of the Harrington Brothers, LOVES history and finding it. When his path crosses Gabriella, Nathanials honor can't let her go on her quest with out his help and protection. While they try to prove Gabriella's brother had a seal and that it was stolen, they discover their true feelings for each other. I loved the twists in the plot, the pace was perfect and made the story even more ...more
Virginia
Sep 04, 2012 Virginia rated it liked it
I must confess: I am not a huge fan of archeological/adventure-type stories in my Regency/Victorian romances. Spies, yes. Treasure hunting and made-up countries/myths/legends/treasures, no. Still, aside from that, a relatively good story. (Although, it is part of a series, I believe I have guessed the "real" villains, to be revealed in the third installment. *sigh* I shall have to suffer more treasure-hunting, but I do enjoy the brother Quinton Harrington so I get to read his story, at least.)

I
Patria
Jul 09, 2010 Patria rated it it was amazing
Ruth
Apr 17, 2010 Ruth rated it it was amazing
I made the mistake of reading The Virgin's Secret after the sequel, Desires of a Perfect Lady, but was absolutely gripped by it from the beginning. The plot of the antiquity hunt weaves beautifully with the love story and the characters are really intriguing - intelligent, attractive, beautiful AND sympathetic. The story is also well-written, and the continuity between this and the sequel is solid - if you read either book, you'll enjoy them, either separately or as a series. I absolutely can't ...more
Tina
Oct 21, 2011 Tina rated it it was ok
So this was my book from last year's Dirty Santa exchange. I have to say, pretty boring, for a romance. It all focused around Gabriella's quest to restore her brothers good name over a stolen artifact, and one of the suspects of its theft takes her in and helps her recover it. Of course they fall in love, but that happens barely halfway through, and the rest is about the artifact and finding Gabriella's family, blah, blah.
BJ Rose
Aug 01, 2010 BJ Rose rated it liked it
Disappointing! A weak 3* - I expected to really enjoy the antiquities aspect, but this time it didn't work for me. The death of Gabrielle's half-brother became the story, and the non-resolution of that will be the reason I continue with the next book, which I hope is better than this one.
Julie Eichelberger-ford
Mar 06, 2016 Julie Eichelberger-ford rated it it was amazing
Victoria Alexander has a talent for incorporating intrigue, murder and witty repartee to create a love story that will have you laughing, crying and cringing all in the space of a few pages. This is the story of a lost city and artifacts leading to it's location. Gabriella is trying to locate an artifact that her brother had found and lost, in order to save is reputation now that he is dead. Nathaniel is one of the suspects thought to have stolen it. They team up together to find the cylinder an ...more
Maryanne
Great book
Leya
Feb 09, 2013 Leya rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
The Virgin's Secret is the first book of the new Victoria Alexander series, Harrington Siblings. Imagine Indiana Jones in the late 19th century, and you have the Harrington brothers: Sterling, Quintin and Nathanial.

The book has the usual Victoria Alexander humour and fast pace. But it also has likable characters. I enjoyed both Gabriella and Nathanial, they both unconventional to the times. They were attracted to each other since the first moment the met, but they fought their feelings. Each wit
Alisha Kennedy
Dec 18, 2014 Alisha Kennedy rated it liked it
I have just, in my late twenties, began to read romance novels. I have only read a few so far including this one. This was a good book, do not judge it by the title, it was a great love story with a touch of dramatic treasure hunting.
Rachel
Dec 14, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok
Given the time period and the lack of rights for women I realize that the respect my heroine is going to get will be minimal. But it was REALLY hard to swallow in this book. Gabriella has so much potential, and it's painful to see her have to throw it all away. I hated how she was left in the end - even if she did get the guy, none of her life long dreams come true, and he's not helping her to realize them.

What I really wanted Gabriella to do is say, to hell with all of you, and take her piles o
Michelle
Jan 20, 2015 Michelle rated it did not like it
Nathaniel and Gabriella - very boring, couldn't finish it.
Elaine
Apr 14, 2014 Elaine rated it it was ok
I skimmed much of the book. Just didn't hold my interest.
Michelle Buck
Jan 27, 2016 Michelle Buck rated it it was ok
Started with an interesting premise but fizzled at the end.
S Miller
May 30, 2016 Sherri McColeman rated it it was amazing
Loved this story!
Rebecca (everyday reader)
May 08, 2012 Rebecca (everyday reader) rated it really liked it
Nate and Gabriella are perfect for one another, same interests, same temperment, and same stubboirness and fire, but it takes them both some time to realize it. She is trying to finish her late brother's work and he is going to help her do it and protect her from harm all the while. The where-abouts of the lost seal are discovered, a murder is committed, a family is found, and love blooms. Good read!!
Dawnnie
I can't bring myself to finish this. There's so many books to read. Decided not to waste my time on this.

Heroine is rather annoying. Too thick headed and whiny. Very negative about everything. Criticism everything hero do. Always snapping at him.

I'm bored.. So.. I decide to just start a new book. Next book.. Please be good...
Sandy
Jan 24, 2013 Sandy rated it it was ok
As I was reading this book, I couldn't help thinking that the story just couldn't pick which genre it was in. I would have liked the story a lot more if it either fleshed out the romance more, or fleshed out the adventure/mystery more. I just wanted more.
However, I really enjoyed the dialogue in the story - well done!
Jessie
Aug 13, 2009 Jessie rated it liked it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I'm having a somewhat difficult time getting through this book because the first few chapters move along slowly compared to some other books I've read recently. I think this is presence of mind more than the author's writing because I've felt this way about the last three books I've picked up.
Susan
Oct 28, 2009 Susan added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I'm afraid I have to agree with some of the other reviewers of this book. I stopped reading at page 75. It moved too slow for me. That is Unfortunate because it sounded like a really good idea for a book. I'll try another of this author's books in the hope that it will be better.
Jessica Lauryn
Jun 02, 2012 Jessica Lauryn rated it liked it
My favorite scene in this story was the prologue. I loved the connection between the brothers, and I am curious as to how things will play themselves out for Quint and Sterling in the other books of the series. Kudos to Victoria Alexander for crafting a dynamic set of characters!
Kendra
Aug 07, 2009 Kendra rated it really liked it
Nathaniel was a likeable hero and I enjoyed the story basically because of him. The whole story about the lost city and treasure was a bit confusing. I'd like to see the h/h actually go out on a dig. Hopefully some of the unanswered questions will be answered in the next book.
Amanda
Jun 13, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
I was surprised that this was a step away from what I have come to expect from Victoria Alexander's writing, but I really enjoyed it. It was chock full of mystery, some suspense, and of course some sparks. All in all a good read.
Connie
Aug 30, 2011 Connie rated it liked it
This took place in the late 1800's and I didn't feel that the language was from that period so that distracted from the book for me. The story was a good one, but the editing was poorly done as well.
Deborah Sullivan
Too much talk, not enough action. The action, if you could call it that, was mostly conversation. And not sparkling conversation. Glad I read the second one first, or I'd have never moved on with the series.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 02:21PM
  • How I Met My Countess (Bachelor Chronicles, #6)
  • A Husband's Wicked Ways (Cavendish Square, #3)
  • Never Deceive a Duke (Neville Family, #2)
  • In Bed with the Duke (Governess Brides, #9)
  • A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior (Adventurers’ Club #2)
  • The Wedding Challenge (The Matchmaker #3)
  • The Secret Duke (Malloren, #10)
  • The Devilish Montague (Rebellious Sons, #2)
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
  • Some Like It Wild (Kincaid Highland, #2)
  • Secrets of a Perfect Night
  • Don't Bargain with the Devil (School for Heiresses, #5)
  • Seducing the Heiress (Heiress in London, #1)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,
More about Victoria Alexander...

Lost City (3 books)
  • The Perfect Wife (Lost City, #1)
  • Desires of a Perfect Lady (Lost City #3)