The Virgin's Secret

The Virgin's Secret (Lost City Series #2)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  640 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Even the least sensible woman knew, upon meeting his gaze, that here was a man who was more than he might at first appear, who might steal the heart of even the most resistant woman. But oh, what a lovely theft!

Adventurer Nathanial Harrington would never steal another man's discovery. And he'd never be so dishonorable as to tempt an untouched woman into his bed...even one...more
Published April 28th 2009 by Avon

Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasSecrets of a Summer Night by Lisa KleypasThe Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer AshleyScandal in Spring by Lisa KleypasIt Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas
Victorian Romance (1837 - 1901)
95th out of 440 books — 114 voters
Lord Carew's Bride by Mary BaloghReforming Lord Ragsdale by Carla KellyThe Temporary Wife by Mary BaloghThe Grand Sophy by Georgette HeyerMrs. Drew Plays Her Hand by Carla Kelly
Traditional Regency
410th out of 476 books — 173 voters

More lists with this book...

Angelc
I am a big fan of Victoria Alexander's books, her books are usually a smart, sophisticated historical romance. So I was really disappointed that "The Virgin's Secret" was so slow. I felt like way more time was devoted to the mystery of the Montini Seal than was given to developing the romance.

Gabriella Montini's half brother was killed trying to find whoever stole the ancient seal that could have been the high point of his career. Gabriella vowed to find the seal to retore his name in the antiq...more
Virginia
I must confess: I am not a huge fan of archeological/adventure-type stories in my Regency/Victorian romances. Spies, yes. Treasure hunting and made-up countries/myths/legends/treasures, no. Still, aside from that, a relatively good story. (Although, it is part of a series, I believe I have guessed the "real" villains, to be revealed in the third installment. *sigh* I shall have to suffer more treasure-hunting, but I do enjoy the brother Quinton Harrington so I get to read his story, at least.)

I...more
Tina
So this was my book from last year's Dirty Santa exchange. I have to say, pretty boring, for a romance. It all focused around Gabriella's quest to restore her brothers good name over a stolen artifact, and one of the suspects of its theft takes her in and helps her recover it. Of course they fall in love, but that happens barely halfway through, and the rest is about the artifact and finding Gabriella's family, blah, blah.
BJ Rose
Disappointing! A weak 3* - I expected to really enjoy the antiquities aspect, but this time it didn't work for me. The death of Gabrielle's half-brother became the story, and the non-resolution of that will be the reason I continue with the next book, which I hope is better than this one.
Judy
I just finished reading The Perfect Wife and this book is the great grandchildren from that story. The Harrington's.

Nathaniel Harrington and his brothers were close in age and friendships. As children they played as all types of adventurers, pirates or like their great grandmother, smugglers.

They grew up and Sterling became the Earl of Wyldewood. Quint and Nate went on adventures. Finding artifacts and for Nathaniel, mostly covering up for Quint.

At their sisters coming out ball Nathaniel notices...more
Leya
The Virgin's Secret is the first book of the new Victoria Alexander series, Harrington Siblings. Imagine Indiana Jones in the late 19th century, and you have the Harrington brothers: Sterling, Quintin and Nathanial.

The book has the usual Victoria Alexander humour and fast pace. But it also has likable characters. I enjoyed both Gabriella and Nathanial, they both unconventional to the times. They were attracted to each other since the first moment the met, but they fought their feelings. Each wit...more
Brittany
I had read the second in this series before this book and had to pick this one up! I am so glad I did! Nathanial, one of the Harrington Brothers, LOVES history and finding it. When his path crosses Gabriella, Nathanials honor can't let her go on her quest with out his help and protection. While they try to prove Gabriella's brother had a seal and that it was stolen, they discover their true feelings for each other. I loved the twists in the plot, the pace was perfect and made the story even more...more
Rachel
Given the time period and the lack of rights for women I realize that the respect my heroine is going to get will be minimal. But it was REALLY hard to swallow in this book. Gabriella has so much potential, and it's painful to see her have to throw it all away. I hated how she was left in the end - even if she did get the guy, none of her life long dreams come true, and he's not helping her to realize them.

What I really wanted Gabriella to do is say, to hell with all of you, and take her piles o...more
Patria
Elaine
I skimmed much of the book. Just didn't hold my interest.
Ruth
I made the mistake of reading The Virgin's Secret after the sequel, Desires of a Perfect Lady, but was absolutely gripped by it from the beginning. The plot of the antiquity hunt weaves beautifully with the love story and the characters are really intriguing - intelligent, attractive, beautiful AND sympathetic. The story is also well-written, and the continuity between this and the sequel is solid - if you read either book, you'll enjoy them, either separately or as a series. I absolutely can't...more
Maryanne
fun as always
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Nate and Gabriella are perfect for one another, same interests, same temperment, and same stubboirness and fire, but it takes them both some time to realize it. She is trying to finish her late brother's work and he is going to help her do it and protect her from harm all the while. The where-abouts of the lost seal are discovered, a murder is committed, a family is found, and love blooms. Good read!!
Dawnnie
I can't bring myself to finish this. There's so many books to read. Decided not to waste my time on this.

Heroine is rather annoying. Too thick headed and whiny. Very negative about everything. Criticism everything hero do. Always snapping at him.

I'm bored.. So.. I decide to just start a new book. Next book.. Please be good...
Sandy
As I was reading this book, I couldn't help thinking that the story just couldn't pick which genre it was in. I would have liked the story a lot more if it either fleshed out the romance more, or fleshed out the adventure/mystery more. I just wanted more.
However, I really enjoyed the dialogue in the story - well done!
Jessie
I'm having a somewhat difficult time getting through this book because the first few chapters move along slowly compared to some other books I've read recently. I think this is presence of mind more than the author's writing because I've felt this way about the last three books I've picked up.
Susan
Oct 28, 2009 Susan added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I'm afraid I have to agree with some of the other reviewers of this book. I stopped reading at page 75. It moved too slow for me. That is Unfortunate because it sounded like a really good idea for a book. I'll try another of this author's books in the hope that it will be better.
Jessica Lauryn
My favorite scene in this story was the prologue. I loved the connection between the brothers, and I am curious as to how things will play themselves out for Quint and Sterling in the other books of the series. Kudos to Victoria Alexander for crafting a dynamic set of characters!
Kendra
Nathaniel was a likeable hero and I enjoyed the story basically because of him. The whole story about the lost city and treasure was a bit confusing. I'd like to see the h/h actually go out on a dig. Hopefully some of the unanswered questions will be answered in the next book.
Amanda
I was surprised that this was a step away from what I have come to expect from Victoria Alexander's writing, but I really enjoyed it. It was chock full of mystery, some suspense, and of course some sparks. All in all a good read.
Connie
This took place in the late 1800's and I didn't feel that the language was from that period so that distracted from the book for me. The story was a good one, but the editing was poorly done as well.
Deborah Sullivan
Too much talk, not enough action. The action, if you could call it that, was mostly conversation. And not sparkling conversation. Glad I read the second one first, or I'd have never moved on with the series.
Dancer
I absolutely loved the chemistry between Nathaniel Harrington and Gabriella Montini. The story line was not much - a bit contrived, but the repartee between these two make the book worth reading.
Rebekah
This book had a little bit of archeology, intrigue, romance and adventure. It was a sweet love story if a little bit predictable. Enjoyable, easy read.
Carla
This was OK, I'm actually a little more interested to see what happens with the two other Harrington brothers.
Jaime
I can't seem to get into any of her books. I haven't found a female character of hers that I like, yet.
Heather
A pretty good start to what looks like a historical romance series involving a gaggle of brothers in London.
Dianne Salzwedel
3 brothers into archeology, women accuses them of stealing her dead brother's treasure.
Linda
Much fun, great romance, teaser ending. I love the archaeology mixed with romance.
  • A Husband's Wicked Ways (Cavendish Square, #3)
  • The Marriage Wager (The Matchmakers #1)
  • The Secret Duke (Malloren, #10)
  • Never Deceive a Duke (Neville Family, #2)
  • The Barefoot Princess (Lost Princesses, #2)
  • Confessions of a Little Black Gown (Bachelor Chronicles, #4)
  • Wed Him Before You Bed Him
  • Rules of an Engagement (Adventurers’ Club, #3)
  • Desperately Seeking a Duke (Heiress Brides, #1)
  • To Romance a Charming Rogue (Courtship Wars, #4)
  • Some Like It Wild (Kincaid Highland, #2)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,...more
More about Victoria Alexander...
The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1) A Little Bit Wicked (Last Man Standing, #1) What A Lady Wants (Last Man Standing, #2) The Husband List (Effingtons, #2) Seduction of a Proper Gentleman (Last Man Standing, #4)