Start by marking “Zagazoo” as Want to Read:

Zagazoo

George and Bella are delighted when they receive an adorable Zagazoo. But as time goes by they find the Zagazoo changes, from a sweet baby, to a screeching vulture, a clumsy elephant, and even a fire-breathing dragon. Just when they reach their wits end, he becomes a wonderful, polite young man. But nothing stays the same for long in this clever tale about the joys and haz ...more
Published September 17th 1998 by Jonathan Cape (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Zagazoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zagazoo

Zoltan Abbott
Apr 24, 2012 Zoltan Abbott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quentin Blakes’s Zagazoo is a fantastic book, looking at the possible difficulties of parenting from a very humorous perspective.
George and Bella are a happy couple who receive a strange looking parcel in the mail, which contains a pretty little pink creature as pretty as could be: Zagazoo!
Blake describes the changes that children go through as they grow up and lets us see just how difficult it can be for poor Bella and George to look after (metaphorically) screeching vultures and destructive e
Mark Jepson
Zagazoo

Zagazoo is a picture book by Quentin Blake which makes it appropriate for children between the ages of five and seven to read to themselves. This book is ideal to read to children younger than five.

Early on in the book, George and Bella receive a parcel which contains a ‘little pink creature’ whose name is Zagazoo. Zagazoo becomes something different every morning ranging from a vulture to an elephant. The fast paced narrative of the story should excite the reader. The story unfolds to u
Matt Davies
Jul 18, 2012 Matt Davies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the story of George and Bella, who receive a parcel in the post that contains Zagazoo. It then follows them through all of Zagazoo's changes on the way to being an adult. It's a delightfully imaginative exploration of growing up and how those changes may seem to those around us, which is beautifully illustrated throughout. Also, the final line, "Isn't life amazing!" fills me with joy every time I read it. I think this would could be read either as a group or independently, and co ...more
Priscilla
This book is about Bella and George going through different stages of looking after their child through to adulthood in a humorous way. I found it amusing to read that the baby changed into so many different things before becoming a lovely grown up. In the end the parents change into the weird and wonderful creatures. I think this book would be good for children aged seven as independent reading. The illustrations are good and relates well to the text.
Catherine
Sep 28, 2016 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear parents of boys, consider this a public service announcement. The book Zagazoo by Quentin Blake seems a great telling of life as parents. The darling baby transforms into all manner of terrifying creatures. Until one day... Well, let's just say it turns out alright.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jan 13, 2012 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
George and Bella are a lovely couple, so when they receive a Zagazoo, they take good care of it. At first the Zagazoo is cute, but sometimes it's a screeching vulture, a clumsy elephant, a muddy warthog, or a bad-tempered dragon. Will George and Bella be able to raise their Zagazoo or will they go crazy?

Blake's illustrations and story humorously capture the joys of parenting. Children are pretty cute but at times they can be loud, muddy, hairy, angry, etc. The ending made me smile. Fun book for
RunRachelRun
Dec 17, 2008 RunRachelRun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
My 4-year old nephew and my mom slyly gave this to me to read to the kids, knowing that I'd be crazy wild about it. It's a very imaginative book about a couple whose perfect life is interrupted by a package containing a baby, which turns into a... well, just read it. Preferably, read it to a child - it's much more fun that way and make sure you let your surprise come through in your voice - it's a hoot!
The Styling Librarian
Zagazoo by Quentin Blake – I think I read this book a while ago, was lovely to revisit. Interesting to think about two adults receiving a child by package delivery and then see the child grow and change through the years. My son “got” it, “Mom, I think he changes into all the different animals depending on his mood and then after a while he finally becomes human again…” It is quite the funny, special, creative book!
Desiree
Jul 20, 2008 Desiree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents & children, great for storytime
Shelves: children-s-books
Awesome children's book!! I think this book is suitable for parents too, the story is simple but very touching, a well-written (& well-illustrated) allegory of the cycle of life.
Or maybe it was perfect timing for me to have read this book after the birth of my son, who coincidentally also has the letter 'Z' as his initial.
Shannon Hill
Feb 06, 2008 Shannon Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has grown up with younger siblings or who has children of their own will appreciate this one. I think we all have those periods where we feel like our kids change species every other day! This is technically a children's book, but grownups are the ones who REALLY appreciate it :)
Stephanie Moss
Nov 26, 2014 Stephanie Moss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: silly
I bought this book when I visited London and honestly, I did not read it until I got home. But I love it because it is cute for kids and has a deeper meaning for adults. It reminded me if the book "duck feet" that I read all the time when I was younger. Too cute!
Man
Jul 06, 2012 Man rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What to say? I adore Quentin Blake's imagination, especially when it comes to drawing. This story is just so weird and random and crazy that you have to either like or dislike it. I obviously like it!
Gigi
Oct 05, 2014 Gigi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although many have enjoyed this book, I just didn't "get" it. I like silly, but this was something beyond.
Yarb
Jul 25, 2016 Yarb rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, kids-books
My wife read this and didn't rate it. But I like Quentin Blake and will give this another try someday.
Barbara
Jul 04, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-and-ya
Completely wonderful!! I want three of them so I can give one to each of my niece/nephews who have young children!!!
Claire Coverley
Apr 14, 2012 Claire Coverley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who needs 100 parenting books? All you really need is Zagazoo and you've pretty much got the big picture of the first 18 years of parenting.
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2017
Sophie Green
Sophie Green rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2015
Christel Astié
Christel Astié rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Nina
Nina rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Nessy Bologna
Nessy Bologna rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Sophia
Sophia rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2012
MrsMalone_emmie
MrsMalone_emmie rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2011
Alastair
Alastair rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2014
Basma
Basma rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Alex Stefansson
Alex Stefansson rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2012
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2009
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • A Kiss Like This
  • Michael Rosen's Sad Book
  • You Choose
  • Green Eyes (Family Storytime)
  • Too Many Pumpkins
  • Augustus and His Smile
Quentin Saxby Blake, CBE, FCSD, RDI, is an English cartoonist, illustrator and children's author, well known for his collaborations with writer Roald Dahl.

Education
Blake was educated at Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School. His English teacher, JH Walsh, influenced his ambition to become involved in literature. His first published drawing was for the satirical magazine Punch, at the age of 16. He
More about Quentin Blake...