4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  25 reviews
George and Bella are delighted when they receive an adorable Zagazoo. But as time goes by they find the Zagazoo changes, from a sweet baby, to a screeching vulture, a clumsy elephant, and even a fire-breathing dragon. Just when they reach their wits end, he becomes a wonderful, polite young man. But nothing stays the same for long in this clever tale about the joys and haz...more
Published September 17th 1998 by Jonathan Cape (first published 1998)

Zoltan Abbott
Quentin Blakes’s Zagazoo is a fantastic book, looking at the possible difficulties of parenting from a very humorous perspective.
George and Bella are a happy couple who receive a strange looking parcel in the mail, which contains a pretty little pink creature as pretty as could be: Zagazoo!
Blake describes the changes that children go through as they grow up and lets us see just how difficult it can be for poor Bella and George to look after (metaphorically) screeching vultures and destructive e...more
Mark Jepson
Zagazoo

Zagazoo is a picture book by Quentin Blake which makes it appropriate for children between the ages of five and seven to read to themselves. This book is ideal to read to children younger than five.

Early on in the book, George and Bella receive a parcel which contains a ‘little pink creature’ whose name is Zagazoo. Zagazoo becomes something different every morning ranging from a vulture to an elephant. The fast paced narrative of the story should excite the reader. The story unfolds to u...more
Matt Davies
This book tells the story of George and Bella, who receive a parcel in the post that contains Zagazoo. It then follows them through all of Zagazoo's changes on the way to being an adult. It's a delightfully imaginative exploration of growing up and how those changes may seem to those around us, which is beautifully illustrated throughout. Also, the final line, "Isn't life amazing!" fills me with joy every time I read it. I think this would could be read either as a group or independently, and co...more
Priscilla
This book is about Bella and George going through different stages of looking after their child through to adulthood in a humorous way. I found it amusing to read that the baby changed into so many different things before becoming a lovely grown up. In the end the parents change into the weird and wonderful creatures. I think this book would be good for children aged seven as independent reading. The illustrations are good and relates well to the text.
Barbara
Completely wonderful!! I want three of them so I can give one to each of my niece/nephews who have young children!!!
Robin
A great gift book for new parents. Cute and funny.
Randie
George and Bella are a lovely couple, so when they receive a Zagazoo, they take good care of it. At first the Zagazoo is cute, but sometimes it's a screeching vulture, a clumsy elephant, a muddy warthog, or a bad-tempered dragon. Will George and Bella be able to raise their Zagazoo or will they go crazy?

Blake's illustrations and story humorously capture the joys of parenting. Children are pretty cute but at times they can be loud, muddy, hairy, angry, etc. The ending made me smile. Fun book for...more
The Styling Librarian
Zagazoo by Quentin Blake – I think I read this book a while ago, was lovely to revisit. Interesting to think about two adults receiving a child by package delivery and then see the child grow and change through the years. My son “got” it, “Mom, I think he changes into all the different animals depending on his mood and then after a while he finally becomes human again…” It is quite the funny, special, creative book!
RunRachelRun
My 4-year old nephew and my mom slyly gave this to me to read to the kids, knowing that I'd be crazy wild about it. It's a very imaginative book about a couple whose perfect life is interrupted by a package containing a baby, which turns into a... well, just read it. Preferably, read it to a child - it's much more fun that way and make sure you let your surprise come through in your voice - it's a hoot!
Desiree
Jul 20, 2008 Desiree rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents & children, great for storytime
Shelves: children-s-books
Awesome children's book!! I think this book is suitable for parents too, the story is simple but very touching, a well-written (& well-illustrated) allegory of the cycle of life.
Or maybe it was perfect timing for me to have read this book after the birth of my son, who coincidentally also has the letter 'Z' as his initial.
Shannon Hill
Anyone who has grown up with younger siblings or who has children of their own will appreciate this one. I think we all have those periods where we feel like our kids change species every other day! This is technically a children's book, but grownups are the ones who REALLY appreciate it :)
Man
What to say? I adore Quentin Blake's imagination, especially when it comes to drawing. This story is just so weird and random and crazy that you have to either like or dislike it. I obviously like it!
Claire Coverley
Who needs 100 parenting books? All you really need is Zagazoo and you've pretty much got the big picture of the first 18 years of parenting.
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 Yarb rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
My wife read this and didn't rate it. But I like Quentin Blake and will give this another try someday.
Samantha
Quentin Blake is a genius. This book is brilliant and timeless and a must-read for all ages.
Nojood Alsudairi
We were trying to figure out in what animal phase each of my children is. A brilliant book.
Emily
Charming little story about all the scary animals we become on our way to adulthood.
Anja Lazarevic
THIS BOOK IS TOO FUNNY-PERFECT FOR SNUGGLE UP AND READ TIME!!!
Grace
I loved the idea for this book! VERY creative!!
Hendri
good job with mycomuter, because very easy
Meryl Davidson
Best 'what to expect' parenting book ever, haha!
Ed
What a grand beauty of a work.
Manon
LOVED IT A MUST READ!!!!
Huda
Apr 15, 2009 Huda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Huda by: بركات كتابنا
Shelves: en-pic-books
amazing one indeed
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Claire
Claire added it
Jul 01, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Quentin Saxby Blake, CBE, FCSD, RDI, is an English cartoonist, illustrator and children's author, well known for his collaborations with writer Roald Dahl.

Education
Blake was educated at Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School. His English teacher, JH Walsh, influenced his ambition to become involved in literature. His first published drawing was for the satirical magazine Punch, at the age of 16. He...more
More about Quentin Blake...
Mister Magnolia Clown Mrs. Armitage: Queen of the Road Cockatoos Mrs. Armitage and the Big Wave