Start by marking “A Cry of Stone” as Want to Read:
A Cry of Stone

A Cry of Stone (Children of the Last Days #6)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Loosely based on the real lives of a number of native North Americans, A Cry of Stone is the fictional account of the life of a native artist, Rose Wâbos. Abandoned as an infant, Rose is raised by her grandmother, Oldmary Wâbos, in the remotest regions of the northern Ontario wilderness. The story covers a period from 1940 to 1973, chronicling Rose's growth to womanhood, h ...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Ignatius Press (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Cry of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cry of Stone

Rachel Crooks
I read this book a year ago, and it seems that the process of thought-fermentation has taken hold and brought about new meanings. Good books like this one perpetuate new thoughts and inner growth, while bad books are just easy to forget. What I remember now about the story of Rose Wabos is the idea of being at home anywhere in the world, whether rich or poor, employed or unemployed, having a home or homeless. No matter where she is, she always has the Beating Heart.

This book forced me to reconc
Candise
Thank goodness my brother gives me these books as gifts as soon as they are published. O'Brien is my most favorite author! This was his most difficult book to read. But I loved it. I loved the art and the pain. I loved the little details of nothingness, and the grand plan of Providence caring for Rose. She is a tiny sparrow, but God sees their needs cares for them.
Jeff Miller
Review comingI just finished “A Cry of Stone” by Michael D. O’Brien which is part of his loose series “Children of the Last Days”. I have now read all of his fiction except “Island of the World” which I am sure I will get to. As with all of his books I certainly enjoyed it even though an O’Brien novel is usually anything but fast-paced.

"A Cry of Stone is the fictional account of the life of a native artist, Rose Wâbos. Abandoned as an infant, Rose is raised by her grandmother, Oldmary Wâbos, in
Maureen
This book is going to haunt me for a long time. Everything that Rose was, and did, and gave, hits me right where it counts, because so much of that humble love is missing in my own heart. A fictional character whose author lets her die in obscurity has the power to affect millions of readers. Affect? Make that change.
Jaye
Not a favourite among O'brien books I've read.

As usual for Mr. O'brien's books, the character development was very good, but I found that it could have been edited down to a much shorter book...and I am one who loves long books!

There is a mystical feel to this book, despite or perhaps because of, the hardships that the main character encounters.

The settings of the book are varied and interesting and I suspect art lovers might find it particularly interesting.

As I've come to expect from Mr. O'br
Jane G Meyer
Nov 05, 2007 Jane G Meyer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fiction lovers
Shelves: adultfiction
I've already written reviews of this book in other publications and there's simply not the space to tackle this 847 page novel here. I will say that I was stunned by the storytelling and mesmerized by the main character, Rose Wabos. Some of the themes the author explores are: finding peace in hardship, embracing poverty and seeking contentment while feeling God's absence...and the book's language is like inhaling a piece of fine art. It was truly lovely...
Emily
Like most of his books, it's a bit slow to get started, but there were some thrilling passages that spoke right to me, about life, religion, God's purpose in our lives...so just for that, it is a recommended read. But know that he can take awhile to get going and can be Hawthorne-esque in his descriptions. ("This is a tree. It is large and green and brown. It is by the river. The river is....")
Dan
I've read all of O'Brien's novels and this was one of the most powerful. An amazing journey of the life of Rose Wabos - a native of Northern Canada. I don't want to give any of the plot away - but if you've enjoyed any of O'Brien's novels, you'll cherish A Cry of Stone. Ranks up there with the Trilogy and Island of the World as his best work.
Mary G
I will never ever forget the character of little "Rose"... This book by Michael D. O'Brien has made an impact on me... While the details of the story may become fuzzy over time - the character of such a humble, special, artistic soul will forever be imprinted on my heart... Thank you Michael!
Rose
A pretty good book a little long and quite depressing, not my favorite of his books but very good discriptions.
Meagan Gillan
Humility, grace, and surprising perspective of one's true place in God's world. Rose taught me all this and more.
Miriam Williams
A wonderful story, but not my favorite in this series of books.
Betsy
Beautiful witness of a girl's humble faith.
Helena
very moving!
Carrie Knerr
Carrie Knerr marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Josiane
Josiane marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Kate VanHouten
Kate VanHouten marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Chris Blackford
Chris Blackford marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • Conceived Without Sin
  • The Spear
  • Come Rack! Come Rope!
  • Toward the Gleam
  • Mr. Blue
  • The Diary of a Country Priest
  • Looking for the King (Inklings, #1)
  • The Ballad of the White Horse
  • The Jeweler's Shop: A Meditation on the Sacrament of Matrimony Passing on Occasion Into a Drama
  • The Grand Slam: Bobby Jones, America, and the Story of Golf
  • Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two: Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection
  • The Loser Letters: A Comic Tale of Life, Death and Atheism
  • Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?
  • Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments
  • Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy
Michael D. O'Brien is a Roman Catholic author, artist, and frequent essayist and lecturer on faith and culture, living in Combermere, Ontario, Canada.
More about Michael D. O'Brien...

Children of the Last Days (6 books)
  • Strangers and Sojourners
  • Eclipse of the Sun
  • Plague Journal (Children of the Last Days)
  • Father Elijah: An Apocalypse
  • Sophia House
Father Elijah: An Apocalypse Island of the World Strangers and Sojourners Eclipse of the Sun The Father's Tale: A Novel