Start by marking “The Seeker's Guide: Making Your Life a Spiritual Adventure” as Want to Read:
The Seeker's Guide: Making Your Life a Spiritual Adventure

The Seeker's Guide: Making Your Life a Spiritual Adventure

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  407 ratings  ·  42 reviews
In 1977, Elizabeth Lesser cofounded the Omega Institute, now America's largest adult-education center focusing on wellness and spirituality. Working with many of the eminent thinkers of our times, including Zen masters, rabbis, Christian monks, psychologists, scientists, and an array of noted American figures--from L.A. Lakers coach Phil Jackson to author Maya Angelou--Les ...more
Published October 3rd 2000 by Villard (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Seeker's Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seeker's Guide

Kira
The section on meditation is excellent and one I go back to often. I used to think I meditated "wrong" until I read this: "Please expect this. Good thoughts, bad thoughts, pleasureable ones, disturbing ones- they will come and go as we sit in meditation, watching our breath...they are the weather of the mind. Our goal in meditation is not to get rid of thoughts. Rather, the goal is to abandon identifying with each thought as it comes and goes; to watch the thoughts as we would watch the weather ...more
Diana
Aug 14, 2009 Diana is currently reading it
This book is one that I will read for the rest of my life. All I have to do is open a chapter to find the message that my soul needs for this moment.
Lynecia
Bark's Book Nonsense
I read this as an audio and enjoyed the narrator's voice (always a plus) and found her discussion fascinating being an American surrounded by the materialistic society she describes. I find it hard to fathom that this is only an American fault, however. I'm enjoying her honesty in stating that finding your own path isn't something that happens by reading a book or even 100 books, it's something that takes long, hard work and there are no short cuts despite the myriad of books on the shelves that ...more
Melissa Conner
The New American Spirituality: A Seeker’s Guide, by Elizabeth Lesser, is a book for those who need spiritual guidance. It presented me with a path to help lead me back to myself, my core, my heart.

Through personal anecdotes and meditations, Lesser leads the reader on a journey through the soul, starting from the outside and working inward. She teaches the reader how to love oneself, how to let go of anger and resentment, and how to heal and cope when life gets you (or a loved one) down.

If you’ve
Sevenponds
In Elizabeth Lesser’s beautiful summation of life’s big questions, The Seeker’s Guide, we are given the opportunity to follow her rollercoaster of realizations, lessons, and insights as she herself seeks guidance from an array of spiritual teachers. Particularly in the chapter entitled “The Landscape of Death,” Lesser invites us to examine our tired notion of death— one that is often embodied by fear and evasion. Her nuanced approach provides the tools we need to embrace the unknown and learn fr ...more
Dan Tasse
She really makes sense of the modern spiritual search, pretty even-handedly drawing on what's good about a lot of different religious and spiritual traditions, and letting you find your own way. She offers 4 "landscapes": mind, heart, body, and soul, and I think that's a pretty useful and all-encompassing.
Shao Pin Hoo
Feb 20, 2009 Shao Pin Hoo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who take meditation seriously
Shelves: spirit
If you are serious about your meditation, this is definitely the book to have on your shelves. While most meditation books focuses on the techniques, The Seeker's Guide provides a compendium of knowledge, material that will help you overcome various obstacles during your meditative journey.
Angela Leddy
Great book full of much wisdom. Would recommend to just about anyone who is seeking spiritual guidance. I wish I would have read it three years ago, but I am grateful for having had the opportunity to read and share it with my ministerial studies program.
Jill Quist
Just what the doctor ordered. This is a book I'll dig into for years to come. Lesser has so much knowledge and isn't afraid to pick and choose what works on her spiritual path. I applaud the approach and I'm uplifted by many of her recommendations.
Jamie Sunderland
I am sinking my teeth into this one, reading about 25 pages a day - and reading every word. I seem to be on a mindfulness quest these days, searching for some daily peace of mind - I think I'm getting closer. This is a wonderful book thus far.
Etherea
So far I am loving this! I feel like the author really knows her stuff, and we think alike! Excited to continue my spiritual journey with the help of this book.
Phgoldman
Co-founder of the Omega Institute, she has a knack for putting the vast history of spiritual seekers into context and includes her own journey to light the way.
Robbin
I'm currently reading this remarkable book. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is seeking spiritual enrichment. Love this book!!
Wayne
Great perspective in the vast ocean of Religion and Philosophy. She is very objective, open and honest. Deffinately recommend.
Mercedes
Very inclusive and honest and included many pages of suggestions for readings, music and more.
Cathy
Loved it.
Sue
It's like this woman is my mouthpiece. I think this book is the perfect read for anyone who is already on a spiritual journey, and also for an agnostic or atheist who wants to better understand non-religious spirituality. Her thoughts and observations on the female perspective, life, death, the mind, the body, the heart, the soul, are all so perfectly articulated. This books says so many things I never knew how to put into words. I will read it again and again.
Deb
One notable quote from this book: "Without spirituality, therapy can turn into a never-ending search for self-fulfillment."

This is a good book should you want to meditate. I also liked the part on karma.
els
I liked Broken Open a bit better just because it cut some of the fat out and just went straight into dealing with loss in your life, which is just kinda more where I'm at. But I enjoy Elizabeth Lesser greatly and find her way of conveying complex spiritual ideas really accessible and like that she's very honest about inserting herself into her insights and observations. She's easy to read.

I think this book is more comprehensive about examining your life as a spiritual journey than specifically l
Edward
Very good content. Have read a lot of things of this type, but this is very comprehensive. It is a lot and took me quite a while to read. But I would recommend it to those on the search.
Jenny
Excellent book. Most spiritual books are written to,support one religion or another. This one is an "equal opportunity " guide. Very helpful I'll read it again.
Bill
The Seeker's Guide, by Elizabeth Lesser, begins by showing how people who search for spiritual fulfillment by exploring different traditions and practices outside of organized religion are consistent with American values of individuality and personal freedom. The unique and most helpful part of the book is not her explanation of meditation or mindfulness, but her personal experiences on her own spiritual path: the ups and downs, the insights and disillusionments, her personal failures and succes ...more
Contemplative
Jul 09, 2013 Contemplative rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in enhancing their spiritual journey.
Recommended to Contemplative by: Lyn Fitzpatrick
We were reading this in a book club I belong to. It's so wordy though, that we found there was really nothing to discuss other than points we liked as the author had already said everything there was to say. I do like the book greatly and am learning much. I'm a detailed person to begin with so I don't find her writing style too bothersome, but I do agree it's better read on your own than in a group. Definitely, an important piece to my spiritual journey; line upon line, precept upon precept...l ...more
John
I notice that some reviewers here are emphasizing that the author devotes many pages to meditation practices. This is true. And the exercises are really good. But there is so much more here. Meditation without a significant commitment to the hard work of transformation in all of our life's many challenges is not very effective in the long run. In this book we are challenged to make our whole a life a journey of compassion. Her journey resonates with mine and so many others who are envisioning a ...more
Collette
Meh. It was allright. She's ok. I mean, its always good to talk spiritual stuff, but she was a bit all over the map. It was a book on spirituality that was trying to please everybody. The only part I loved was about 2 pages long, a story of the Spirit/Soul by Ram Das. Basically, this book just made me want to read more of Ram Das. Elizabeth Lesser is nice, she's fine, but she bugs me.
Donna
I read this book slowly over the course of about a year. There was so much here to savor and explore, that to read it any faster wouldn't have done it justice.

Elizabeth explores spirituality in all kinds of different ways, different traditions. I found so many helpful resources, meditations, books, ideas….

This one is a keeper and goes on the "to read again and again" pile.
Sunny
With a title like "the seekers guide" I guess I was hoping it would have all the answers for me and "Guide" me in the right direction spiritually. Not really the case. I got some great quotes and thoughts worth highlighting and some good book references for me but it take me a year to get through it.
Ben Williams
Lesser absolutely needed a good editor who challenged her to be more direct and concise in her writing. However, The Seeker's Guide is deeply poignant and a powerful tool in my spiritual toolbox. I am eternally grateful for the reading experience of this book.
  • The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have
  • Discover the Power Within You
  • Running with Nature: Stepping Into the Life You Were Meant to Live
  • A Course In Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever
  • The Instruction: Living the Life Your Soul Intended
  • The Mind of the Soul: Responsible Choice
  • Getting in the Gap
  • Everything You Need to Know to Feel Go(o)d
  • 8 Habits of Love: Open Your Heart, Open Your Mind
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • DailyOM: Inspirational Thoughts for a Happy, Healthy, and Fulfilling Day
  • Ask and It Is Given: The Processes
  • Meditations to Heal Your Life
  • Essential Spirituality: The 7 Central Practices to Awaken Heart and Mind
  • The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
  • True Love: A Practice for Awakening the Heart
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
  • Prayers of the Cosmos: Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words
Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow The Facts on Interracial Dating and Marriage: The Best of Both Worlds? 9788532519139

“I recently heard a great writer say that an essential element in the life of a writer is to have been an outsider in childhood, to have been given the "gift" of not belonging. ” 20 likes
“Meditation practice is like piano scales, basketball drills, ballroom dance class. Practice requires discipline; it can be tedious; it is necessary. After you have practiced enough, you become more skilled at the art form itself. You do not practice to become a great scale player or drill champion. You practice to become a musician or athlete. Likewise, one does not practice meditation to become a great meditator. We meditate to wake up and live, to become skilled at the art of living.” 18 likes