Start by marking “The Robin & the Kestrel (Bardic Voices, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Robin & the Kestrel (Bardic Voices, #2)

The Robin & the Kestrel (Bardic Voices #2)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,388 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Robin, a gypsy lass and bard, and Kestrel, fugitive heir to an undesired throne, must foil a plot to drive all music forever from the land. But first, the Robin and the Kestrel must tame a killer ghost!
Published November 1st 1994 by Baen Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Robin & the Kestrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Robin & the Kestrel

YouKneeK
Feb 16, 2016 YouKneeK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, but not quite as much as the first book. I didn’t like the main characters as much as I had liked Rune in the previous book. Rune had the better personality, and a common-sense attitude that made me root for her success. Robin, the main female character in this book, got on my nerves sometimes. She was less ethical and more inclined to take foolish or selfish actions without thinking things through. I liked her husband Kestrel better, but he wasn’t really a stand-out charact ...more
♥Xeni♥
Read in 2014:

---

Read in 2009: Compared with the first of the series, this book focuses a lot more on the Free Bards and what they can achieve as a unit working outside of the law (rather than on just one main character).

I love how this book is a tie-in with the first, though, and how the Ghost from the Hill is revisited! The whole church and what it does to the world still freaks me out when I think back on it, so I am glad that Robin manages to help the Ghost out and hurt the Church in one go!

I
Helen
Jan 10, 2015 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first chapter reprise of the previous book nearly had me as bogged down as the mired wagon the characters were trying to free as they mused about their past. I was as thankful as they were to be rescued by a very interesting fellow indeed. From there the story took a fascinating path to some very relevant and interesting revelations.
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Product Description

In the sequel to The Lark and the Wren, Robin, the beautiful gypsy bard, and Kestrel, the fugitive heir to an unwanted throne, join forces with the Ghost of Skull Hill to foil a plot to ban all music from the land. 35,000 first printing. $15,000 ad/promo.

Trixie
Sep 12, 2014 Trixie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story but I didn't love it as far as I remember. The new perspective was refreshing and how often do you have a protagonist who stutters? I can't speak to the treatment and accuracy of a stutterers representation but I found everything tasteful and fun and, by the end, awesome.
Alice
Nov 19, 2015 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to The Lark and the Wren
Not my favorite in the series, Liked Kestrel a lot, found Robin a bit trying especially at the beginning. I think my favorite character was the librarian at the abby, a very minor character.
Good action, and reads quickly.
Enigmaticblue
Jul 18, 2015 Enigmaticblue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked this book much better this time around. It's not my favorite of the series, but I appreciated the look at married life and the relationship between Robin and Kestrel, and the look at how someone who is power hungry could twist things.
Ron Clayton
If you liked The Lark and the Wren you will enjoy this. Picks up from the conclusion of that novel with a new storyline.
Shinyfox
This book just wasn't as good as the first book in the series. It was still good and I liked the book, but it rates about a half star below the first for me. I never really knew how frustrating it was to read a character with a stutter. I appreciate that people who have speech impediments are shown in this book, but it was very frustrating for me to read. I felt the book was a little too preachy, even though that was the main plot of the story tying in the church. It ties in and builds on the fi ...more
Marcie
Feb 15, 2010 Marcie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Mercedes Lackey spends so much time building the world in which her story takes place that the first part of her books are slow to pick up. I find reading 30 pages of recap from the book I just finished to be unnecessary and tedious.
On the other hand, once the story starts moving, it's an entertaining adventure full of the usual intrigue, power-seeking, and magic that make fantasy adventures fun to read.
Nick Nielsen
Jan 17, 2014 Nick Nielsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book, interesting characters. A little preachy, but all in all it was quick and enjoyable.
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 26, 2009 Mike (the Paladin) rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I loved the first of the Bardic voices books, so snapped this one up as soon as it came out. Unfortunatly it wasn't nearly as good as the first.

The stories link up and there is building on the story of the Free Bards, but the magic that I found in the The Lark and the Wren, just wasn't there for me."
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Bardic Voices is back! I'm pretty happy to read about Robin and Kestrel's story. Ms. Lackey creates another story with intrigue, conspiracies and evil trying to overwhelm good. This one is still with the treat of removing music which I love. I recommend even for young adults.
Gwendolyn
Sep 13, 2007 Gwendolyn rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic
Now that Robin and Kestrel are newlyweds, they are off to travel on their honeymoon. However there are still problems with corrupt clergy and a mystery surrounding the ghost on the hill. Of course, good always triumphs over evil.

Entertaining, but nothing deep.
Lise
Sep 16, 2009 Lise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series is shaping to be more fun than I'd expected. Mysterious 'cataclysm' in unknown past, discussions of the nature and origin of government... slowly the 'generic magical/medival' setting takes shape.
Lindsay Goto
It wasn't what I remembered it to be. I was much more engaged in the first novel than I was in the second. I might give the third a try, but it's not very high on my list.
Sharon
Jan 10, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I haven't visited this world of Lackey's as much as I have some of her others. I like the sort of renaissance feel, with the addition of strange magic.
Michelle
Jul 21, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The bardic series just didn't hit me the way Diana Tregarde's series did. It was a fairly descent read, but not one I am eager to pick up again.
Erika
A fun political romp with Robin and Kestrel. I like learning more about the non-humans and the Skull Hill Ghost is a good character.
Beverly
Maybe it was because of my own reading schedule, but this book seemed to drag more than the Lark and the Wren.
Nicole
Dec 04, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the look of the bards' world, without as many Bards. Introduced a few new players that you'll see later, too.
Jutta
Aug 25, 2015 Jutta rated it liked it
well, enjoyable. not as much as when i was younger

read 2008
read many times
read summer 1994 or 5
Kim
Fun, guilty-pleasure reading. Perfect for a night home alone with some wine and chocolate.
Kathy Davie
Sep 05, 2010 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Lackey is amazing in how beautifully she creates whole new worlds and cultures.
Kalyn
May 15, 2008 Kalyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Again, a series I've reread and will reread, but this ties with Cast of Corbies for my favourite.
G G
Dec 01, 2011 G G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner from Mercedes Lackey.
This series should be read in order.
karinajean
Nov 18, 2007 karinajean rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007
comfort book left over from high school. YA fantasy at it's best/worst!
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
The Robin & the Kestrel (Bardic Voices, Book 2) by Lackey (1994)
Dvdurante
Aug 03, 2008 Dvdurante rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about Bardic Magic. So much fun!
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • No Quarter (Quarters #3)
  • An Exchange of Gifts
  • Bedlam Boyz (Bedlam's Bard, #3)
  • Finders-Seekers (Ghatti's Tale, #1)
  • Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)
  • The Western King (Rune Blade, #2)
  • Bones of the Past (Arhel, #2)
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Sword of Knowledge, #3)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &a ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Bardic Voices (5 books)
  • The Lark and the Wren (Bardic Voices, #1)
  • A Cast of Corbies (Bardic Choices, #1) (Bardic Voices, #2.5)
  • The Eagle & the Nightingales (Bardic Voices, #3)
  • Four & Twenty Blackbirds (Bardic Voices, #4)