Start by marking “God Hates Us All” as Want to Read:
God Hates Us All

God Hates Us All

3.46  ·  Rating Details ·  2,951 Ratings  ·  233 Reviews
The critically acclaimed show, Californication, is one of Showtime’s highest rated programs. Averaging about two million viewers an episode, it is the most successfully rated freshman series in Showtime history. A Golden Globe nominee for Best Television Series (Comedy or Musical), Californication features an electric, likeable cast, led by actor David Duchovny, who won a ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Gallery Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about God Hates Us All, please sign up.

UMPiCK Anything from Bukowski, maybe Irvine Welsch (trainspotting) or the classic by J.D. Salinger - Catcher in the Rye
Nancy Drew by Carolyn KeeneThe Bro Code by Barney StinsonElixir by Hilary DuffHardy Boys Complete Series Set Books 1-66 by Franklin W. DixonDreams from My Father by Barack Obama
Ghost-Written Books
31st out of 69 books — 6 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Bad Beginning by Lemony SnicketThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Unique Narrators
192nd out of 317 books — 357 voters

More lists with this book...

Thomas Shaw
Jul 16, 2014 Thomas Shaw rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Oct 05, 2009 Kim rated it liked it
This book is exactly what I expected it to be...a veritable downpour of Hank Moody-esque dialogue and characters. In any other setting I might have written this book off as a male masturbatory tool, but given the fact that the book is supposed to be written by a fictional character known for such work, it fit really well. I recommend the book because it's a quick read and for all of you Californication fans, it's a good insight into Moody's brain.
Oct 23, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
This is the formerly-fictitious book from Showtime's Californication, starring David Duchovny. Duchovny plays writer (and man-slut) Hank Moody, who hit it big with this book - which was made into a mediocre romantic comedy. Until the book was actually published, for real, it was purely a prop and part of the show.

I absolutely loved this book. The writing is very much like the brilliantly written show, which is one of the funniest shows I've seen. The book isn't quite as funny or exciting - it's
William Johnson
Reprinted from my website Secure Immaturity:

I feel like I’m slipping in and out of my universe and into a strange bizarro world where my television heroes are real and I’m, somehow, important in their place in this new world. Because, for the second time no less, I’ve found myself purchasing books by fictional authors from TV Land. The first (currently on order) is Heat Wave by Richard Castle. Keep in mind that Richard Castle is not real. . .he is in fact played by Nathan Fillion on the TV Show
Jan 05, 2014 C rated it liked it
Shelves: 24-hours
For being what it is, it's definitely readable. It reads like a purple Bukowski. Can't miss chapter nine.

This was the first fiction book I finished on my kindle (having merely attempted that Robbins nonsense) and I was quite pleased with it. Not that reading a fiction book is any different than the theory texts or history I've read on it. But still.
Dec 22, 2009 Meredith rated it liked it
This is a very quick read. When I first opened the book to read it, I was expecting the story from Californication, of how Hank Moody has sex with a minor, with no knowledge of her age. Ask me why I thought this and I wouldn't be able to tell you.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Unsure of whether Hank Moody was writing about himself or a fictional character in the beginning, I was unsure of the first few chapters. It was then that I realized I couldn't put the book down. The story th
This was too much fun of a read that deserved neither more nor less time than the day it took me to read it. The Ellis-like whirlwind nature of the storytelling was the perfect match for the characters and goings on. And there's even a nicely packaged coming-of-age moral to it, to boot.

I am deeply envious of whoever got to ghostwrite this novel, who deserves extra kudos for so freakishly delivering a voice that could be no one but Moody. I can't say it was a bad thing to actually hear David Duch
Jan 19, 2010 Eric rated it did not like it
I read this because I really like the show (well, at least the first two seasons) and I wanted to see what they would come up with in this book. There were very few parallels between the two, and most of this book was one big CLICHE.
Feb 08, 2010 Jo rated it it was amazing
I started reading this knowing not to take it too seriously. It is, after all, a book from a tv show, but i have to say that i enjoyed it. It was nothing original or spectacular but it was fun. Full of cliches but still enjoyable. Even if you haven't seen the show i still recommend it.
Aug 21, 2010 The_Freddy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of "Californication"
Recommended to The_Freddy by: Hank Moody
Well, there is not such a lot to say about this book after all. When I saw that the ficticious book "God Hates Us All" by the ficticious author Hank Moody of the tv show "Californication" was for sale in the real world (aka, I simply had to get it.
The blurb declares it to be a "wry little masterpiece", and while it is wry and little, a masterpiece it is not. Of course not. But it was a very fun read.

More from the book cover:
God Hates Us All is a coming-of-age tale for the apathetic
Sep 29, 2010 Guillermo rated it liked it
Fictional books - as in, the ones that don't exist in the real world - always intrigue me. When I read Wonder Boys by Chabon, I wanted to read the collective works of Grady Tripp and those of "the first real writer" Tripp ever knew - August Van Zorn. So it goes without saying, when Californication came into my life, I wanted to read Hank Moody's novels. My prayers were answered when his novel, God Hates Us All, was released last year. Note: It wasn't the fact that I couldn't afford his book last ...more
Feb 11, 2011 Tiziana rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Hank Moody is one of my favorite characters from "Californication" so when I heard about this book, I had to read it. Very funny, witty, and entertaining. "God Hates Us All" is an awesome quick and comfort read.
Apr 25, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: 2000s
While the book God Hates Us All does remind me a lot of Hank Moody and his self destructive lifestyle in the TV show Californication. This book reminded me more of Bret Easton Ellis’s cult classic book Less Than Zero. God Hates Us All follows the story of a lonely young man, desperate to find meaning to his lost and destructive life.

The book is a quick read, full of sex, drugs, rock & roll, abandonment, love, heart break and lust making this an enjoyable blend for an enjoyable read; but I t
Feb 21, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
The perfect combination of crazy, funny, and dark.
Felicitas Träumer
Dec 12, 2011 Felicitas Träumer rated it liked it
I didn't really know whether to appoint three stars or four. I decided for three and here is why:

God hates us all is the book that Hank Moody from Californication wrote and that turned into the movie A crazy little thing called love. So far. It starts off with a weird love story that turns into disaster. Both main characters - each on their own - get from one disaster to the next in their lives until they meet and fall in love again. It works out fine for some time but then it ends with one of
May 25, 2011 Claudia rated it it was amazing
A quick, fun read. I enjoyed the meta aspect of it: reading a fictional book of a fictional author from a TV show. But, more importantly, I enjoyed the actual book for its own sake: a wry tale of a jaded young man in NYC in the late 80's. Cue ill fated romance with models, parties with wanna-be rock stars and accidental drug dealing. It's basically a slightly less cynical version of Bret Easton Ellis' "Less Than Zero". Well-written and intriguing enough to make you wish it were a real novel by a ...more
Jun 23, 2011 Kelli rated it really liked it
I reallly really enjoyed this book - I was brought this book as a gift from my husband - At the time what I thought was a very strange gift - Its not my usual type of book - but I am sooo glad I gave it a go.

Anyone familiar with the series Californication starring the ever yummy David Duchovny will know what this book is - Hank Moody in the series is a Writer - down on his luck - with writers block and this cult book that he wrote several years before hand - this is the book.

I originally though
Samuel Ch.
Feb 16, 2013 Samuel Ch. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblioteca
The phrase "Drugs, Sex & Rock'n'Roll" never felt so good before.

I'm impressed how this book broke up all my stupid expectatives.
At first I thought it was some kind of inside joke, like some promotion for the Californication series, or a simple prop like a Death Note or a cosplay accesory. Turns out the book is great, and it deserves all the attention.

God bless you, Hank Moody. Even if you don't deserve it. This book gives to the series an aura of reality. Hank Moody is a great writer, you do
Jacob Meza
Apr 30, 2013 Jacob Meza rated it it was amazing
Fun quick book for fans of Californication.
Carlos Lavín
Jun 28, 2016 Carlos Lavín rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I went all CrazyFanGirlOMFG when I discovered they had actually written God Hates Us All as a bit of a tie-in book. To be honest I wasn't really expecting much, thought it was mostly a marketing move but also assumed that the show's writers surely had dropped a little of their of awesomeness into this, so I figured I might as well give it a shot.

Because I love Californication. I seriously, seriously do.

The book exceeded my expectations. That's the good part. However, they weren't high at all to
Yair Ben-Zvi
May 07, 2012 Yair Ben-Zvi rated it really liked it
Who would have thought supplemental/tie in lit could be so well written? Honestly, this is the first book I've read in quite some time that really does have something for nearly everyone. It's dark, funny, witty, compelling, and actually builds a convincing artifice of the real world so much that, if it had been a stand-alone novel, I would've liked it just as much.

The show in which this book sprang from, 'Californication', is a great one. I'm an unabashed fan (went through five seasons in less
Waqas Mhd
Aug 11, 2012 Waqas Mhd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I was attracted to because of its title and had some assumptions made already but it turned out to be totally opposite of what I had thought it to be.

Once the shock about the nature of book was over and I got the hang of it, I started to enjoy. Its very light and quick read. It has nothing to do with god or religion. Its a fun novel with a lot of sex and drugs situations which mostly feel cliched. Nevertheless, I liked the wittiness of the characters specially the protagonist. It
Nov 11, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
So I picked this up at the library because I was intrigued by the title. And it looked like a quick read. But something was definitely odd. There's a red blurb on the cover that says "As featured on the hit Showtime series Californication" which I have never seen. It says it's written by Hank Moody and there's a paragraph on the back cover about Hank Moody which also says the book has been made into a movie - A Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

This all seemed weird to me. What movie is this? So I
Jan 15, 2013 Redouane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
لمن يعشق كاليفورنيكيشن, يمثل هذا الكتاب جرعة اضافية من هانك اللعين مودي.. في مئة صفحة أو أقل, نقرأ عن شخصية مشابهة لشخصية (هانك موديد), حيث الحياة الصاخبة و الوضعية المزرية

رواية "الرب يكرهنا جميعاً" تدور ببساطة حول شخص ما و حبيبته المجنونة (دافني), ومحاولته الإنتقال من نمط عيش بسيط في لونغ أيلند إلى الحياة الكبيرة في نيويورك, نمط عيش لا يمكن ان يتحمل نفقاته... فكيف يتدبر حاله؟

لماذا اعطيته ثلاثة نجمات؟ الكتاب بالنسبة لمن شاهد المسلسل ممتاز و رائع, الشخصيات مجنونة وتصرفاتها غير متوقعة, الاحداث درا
Shervin Maddah
Feb 13, 2013 Shervin Maddah rated it it was amazing
Seeing as how many people have covered the story of the book, I do not see a reason as to why I should write a review. Instead I have decided to clear the issue/concern regarding this book and its relation to the Showtime hit series Californication

I personally did not know this book existed until a few months back, I knew the story behind the books from the show Castle, but did not know that the same was true of this show... However there IS a difference between the two which I won't get into he
Oct 04, 2013 Zoe rated it did not like it
This book is a joke. I expected something completely different. Despite the fact that I really love Californication (espescially the first 2 seasons) and it has nothing to do with the series it has no compelling or at least interesting story. I really shouldnt have read it. ...more
Knarik Avetisyan
Jun 14, 2014 Knarik Avetisyan rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
All you need is a TITLE!

This book by Moody concerns nothing in it but the title. First it attracts you, then it makes you find the reason of choosing this title in th book, then it makes you sure, that there is nothing special behind this loud title but a spanish replica of a barman.

I read it because I was curious, but now I wish I hadn't - these aren't the fictitious Hank's words, these are the words of some dude trying to be as cool and edgy as he imagines Hank would be.

It just ends up being s
Laura Fudge
Apr 21, 2014 Laura Fudge rated it really liked it
I’ve watched 5 series of Californication, and loved them, so I bought this book on a whim whilst browsing on Amazon. I didn’t expect much as it’s a book written by a fictional character, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I really enjoyed this and could barely put it down – only having to go to work or falling asleep with it in my hands stopped me from reading this in one go. It is narrated by the main character, and is very easy to read, with likeable characters, and funny dialogue.

The main charact
Matt Williams
Nov 20, 2015 Matt Williams rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book. Relationships, drugs, lust and love. It's a book about life/growing-up. Fun read and very comical at times!
Apr 03, 2016 Kelly rated it it was ok
This book was written to be a prop in the show, which is about all it is good for, as it turns out that fictional characters make contrived and pandering authors. Shame on me, I suppose. I gave it two stars because it had the mercy of being a quick read and I enjoyed the initial hipstertude acquired by saying "I only read fictional characters written by fictional characters" to people. You won this round, curiosity!
  • Threepenny Memoir: The Lives of a Libertine
  • What Would Keith Richards Do?: Daily Affirmations from a Rock and Roll Survivor
  • Revoltingly Young: The Journals of Nick Twisp's Younger Brother
  • You Know Who You Are
  • Wonder Woman at Super Hero High (DC Super Hero Girls)
  • Ghost Dance
  • A Dream of Ice (The Earthend Saga #2)
  • Boulevard (Hayden Glass, #1)
  • Small World
  • Бариерата
  • Just Don't Fall: How I Grew Up, Conquered Illness, and Made It Down the Mountain
  • The Littlest Hitler
  • The Outcry
  • The Haight-Ashbury: A History
  • A Causa das Coisas
  • How It Ended: New and Collected Stories
  • On Love
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Fictional television character created for the tv-show: Californication,
More about Hank Moody...

“You know why love stories have happy endings?” I shake my head.
“Because they end too early,” she continues. “They always end right at the kiss. You never have to see all the bullshit that comes later. You know, Life.”
“When it comes to emotions, women know how to paint with the full set of oils, while men are busy doodling with crayons.” 48 likes