Start by marking “Small Town Odds” as Want to Read:
Small Town Odds

Small Town Odds

"With winning wit and compassionate, delightful prose" (Publishers Weekly), Jason Headley tells the story of a young man trapped in a small West Virginia town. Enormously likable and a habitual screw-up, Eric Mercer has settled into a sometimes raucous, underachieving life in his one-stoplight hometown—a life cobbled together from his part-time activities as bartender at t ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Chronicle Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Small Town Odds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Town Odds

John Luiz
May 12, 2013 John Luiz rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite kind of novel –- about a man who has made a mess of his life and his relationships and who reaches a crossroads that will test him to see if he’s capable of setting things right. Any fans of Nick Hornby, Tom Perrotta or Jonathan Tropper will surely like this novel, and Jason Headley more than holds his own with the masters of this particular kind of comic/dramatic literary fiction.

At the outset, Small Town Odds looks like it’s a going to be a redneck novel as it begins with a
Claudia Getz
Jul 11, 2007 Claudia Getz rated it it was amazing
Small Town Odds by Jason Headley

This book entertained me and just kept getting better and better as the chapters went on.

The lead Character, Eric, is introduced. He was an honor student and a high school football hero. Yet, he never went on to college to become whatever possibility his studious mind was capable of. He seems to be bitter and somewhat depressed. He remained in the very small town he grew up in. He had wonderful parents and he knew just about everyone in town. He had his same frien
Diane
May 28, 2016 Diane rated it it was ok
It is not the author's fault but this is not my type of book where the main character causes nothing but trouble and beating people up. It had a redemptive ending but I guess it has been so long since I was at his age that I didn't see the point of it. The main character I did not see as redeeming but he did make some good choices.
I believe that the author did do a good job with the book but I don't even enjoy shows with violence, so I definitely did not enjoy the main character always punching
Alissa
Nov 28, 2008 Alissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Eric is 24 and still living in the small town he grew up in West Virginia. Eric had big dreams but they were derailed when a mistake one night led to the birth of his daughter, Tess. He gave up the girl he loved and college to stay and be a father. During one week his old girlfriend, the high school’s Big Game, and the gorgeous mother of his daughter all converge, propelling Eric to unavoidable decisions.

Not quite lad lit, this was a moving story of what it means to be a father, to be a family a
Cindy Wyatt
Mar 22, 2016 Cindy Wyatt rated it really liked it
This book was surprisingly good. I liked the structure of it - going back and forth between the days in one week and some carefully chosen flashbacks in the main character's life. It also had a beautifully written sex scene where the sex was exciting but charming and not at all nasty (and that is rare). Also, there was a pretty amazing scene where the main character says that thing you are never supposed to say about your children.
Megan
Nov 13, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
Great book to read on my lunch breaks. :) Another "realistic" tale of every day life, especially for "us small town folk" :) I found most intriguing that this story of love (for a daughter and lover) is told completely from a male perspective. Not every day we females get to see inside the male psyche, especially when pertaining to the icky "L" word (:
Ann
Apr 13, 2008 Ann rated it really liked it
I felt like I really knew these people. I really wanted things to work out for them. And I really knew that this author had to tell the truth about their lives no matter what. I would like to read other things by this author, because he sees life through remarkably clear eyes and with lovely language.
Holly
Nov 01, 2008 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books about small towns! Small Town Odds was about one young man's decision that changed the course of his life just shortly after graduating from High School. The story line kept me guessing and wanting to know more about each character. I loved little Tess and her relationship with her father.
Jane
Jan 09, 2009 Jane rated it liked it
I checked this out from the library based on the cover picture. It wasn't bad though. A nice, well-told story with a compelling first-person voice.
Lydia
Dec 26, 2011 Lydia rated it liked it
A book following a week of the life of the fictional character Eric Mercer. The book is as uneventful as the title suggests, but fine if one is looking for some light reading.
Bill
Jul 03, 2008 Bill rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bill by: Audrey
Really well written and absorbing. Mainly about a guy with lots of promise who throws away success and true romance for reasons murkily revealed. Alcohol really messes him up.
Lou Perry
Lou Perry rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Tara Belmont
Tara Belmont rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Reecejs
Reecejs rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2009
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2012
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2007
jilllora
jilllora rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2011
Lorelei DeMesa
Lorelei DeMesa rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2008
Adam Clark
Adam Clark rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2008
Alina
Alina rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Emily Hillard
Emily Hillard rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Renee
Renee rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2009
Abigail
Mar 07, 2008 Abigail rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A quick read. Author grew up and based the book on my boyfriend's hometown :)
Jen Orr
Jen Orr rated it really liked it
May 20, 2012
Amy John
Amy John rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2009
Adrianne
Adrianne rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2008
Tina Hvitfeldt
Tina Hvitfeldt rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Andrew Gifford
Andrew Gifford rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2014