Start by marking “The Big Beautiful” as Want to Read:
The Big Beautiful

The Big Beautiful

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The critically acclaimed author returns to the North Carolina landscape she knows so well with this gloriously written sequel to Moon Women.

On an eastbound North Carolina interstate highway, the mountains and her hometown far behind, Cassandra Moon realizes that she has not only broken the heart of the one man who's ever asked her to marry—on their wedding day, no less—bu
Published March 27th 2007 by Dial Press Trade Paperback (first published January 1st 2007)

Patricia Keefe
Feb 03, 2013 Patricia Keefe rated it it was amazing
I'm not from the south, and I'm not a romance novel reader. I usually read mysteries or thrillers and the occasional Stephen King. That being said, I loved The Big Beautiful and couldn't put it down. The characters are down to earth and may remind you of people you know in real life. They were hard to leave at the end of the book and they will hang around in my sub-consious for a long time to come.

I read the book in the wrong order and will now read Moon Women (this is the sequel) and hope that
Beth Browne
Jan 06, 2012 Beth Browne rated it really liked it
Ok, I admit it. I’m a sucker for romance. You can have the chills and thrills, give me love and kisses. Pamela Duncan’s book, The Big Beautiful, has both, along with a plot that takes off running and characters you want to adopt for your own family.

At forty-five, Cassandra Moon thinks she’s been given a last chance at love and marriage with Dennis, but as she heads down the aisle, she realizes that something just isn’t right. She runs out of the church, jumps in the waiting limousine, cranks it
Barbara
Mar 09, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
I like this book. It was an easy read but it was a book that made you feel good. I felt like I wanted to take a trip to their area and visit the people and sit in the sun and enjoy the water. The characters had a good rapport with the readers. I liked the main character and her feelings about family and life. A nice story with a happy ending despite all of the drama.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Cassandra Moon, firmly in her 40s, is finally getting married. She's been taking care of others all her life and now she's looking forward to having someone else take care of her for a change. All she has to do is walk down the aisle and say "I do." So why does she find herself in her wedding dress, driving like a bat out of hell in the honeymoon limo and heading for the coast, still a single woman? She must be crazy.

She ends up staying with her Aunt May and Uncle Walton in Salter Path, NC. She
Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 Kay Carman rated it really liked it
It's bad enough that bride-to-be Cassandra Moon left her groom at the altar. But did she have to take off with the poor chap's limousine, too? Now the fraught, forty-four-year-old North Carolinian finds herself careening toward the coast in the company of a copiously freckled sea captain who just might be the man of her dreams. The two wind up in the idyllic town of Salter Path (a real place) where Cassandra sets her mind on figuring out how and why her life's gone awry. The citizenry of Salter ...more
Linda
Feb 19, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
Set in Salter Path, this was just a good, fun book to read. Cassandra Moon is a big girl, in her 40’s and on her wedding day, at the church, runs away from her wedding to Salter Path. She’s not sure why she runs but she knows it was the right thing to do. The book explores true love and the reasons things work out like they do. Great writing, fast paced, interesting, hilarious at times. I want to read more of Pamela Duncan's books!
Peg
Dec 14, 2014 Peg rated it it was amazing
Another of Duncan's stories about women living in the South. There are ties that bind them and some that cripple them. A woman leaves a man at the alter, her new location and new people help her to find herself and love. A chick book, beach read, not great literature, but entertaining.
Kitty Tomlinson
Mar 27, 2015 Kitty Tomlinson rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Sequel to Moon Women by Pamela Duncan. Ruth Ann's sister Cassandra takes off to a cousin's house at the seashore after leaving her fiance, Dennis, at the altar. Fun rean.
Christina
Dec 01, 2010 Christina is currently reading it
Like it's predecessor, Moon Women, this is a book I return to and am reading over a very long period of time. I found it on the shelf with a bookmark about halfway so I still need to finish it. I started when I was pregnant and at that time I had a very difficult time reading books and switched to magazines (mostly craft/sewing/art). In both books you can remember the characters and what was going on when you read it last - even if it was a year ago - but I'm not driven to inhale it like some bo ...more
Donna Whetzel
Jul 04, 2014 Donna Whetzel rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book...characters were very appealing...spent some time in North Carolina along the coast so that made the book even more special
Melody
Jan 16, 2012 Melody rated it it was amazing
I loved cassadra moon. I could relate with her in so many ways. I loved the theme of the story, about life and love. I felt at times as I was reading this book, as if I was in Salter Path myself.. and I never wanted to leave. I just found out its a sequel to "moon women". I thought this book stood alone, but I will read moon women, and im excited. Pamela Duncan is one author I will follow!
Rita Quillen
Jan 13, 2014 Rita Quillen rated it really liked it
Loved this book...just funny and as the "blurb" said--"quirky". But a really fun read....
Diane
Nov 18, 2010 Diane rated it liked it
Quick, easy read. A little more complex than most beach reads, but not too much.

My biggest beef with the book is that the main character is "full-figured" and her size is a main component of her character in the book...with a theme of you can be happy and full-figured/older. Yet, the image on the front of the book is a skinny girl.
Tiffany
Jan 11, 2010 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
This was a book I thoroughly enjoyed. Not only did it give me all the "feel good" vibes of what I call "fluff" books, it also had a very beautiful message behind it about being comfortable in your own skin. It was a lovely story and it didn't hurt that it is set in the South.
Joanna
Sep 05, 2007 Joanna rated it it was ok
This book is a quick read, but funny and happy, too. I relate to this author's books because the setting is always in North Carolina (this one, obviously, is mainly about the coast) and I can hear the dialect of the characters as I read.
Alyse
Feb 18, 2012 Alyse rated it really liked it
I loved Moon Women and was so excited for this book. I was disappointed at first because the book was kind of slow going but from the middle to the end I couldn't wait to read the next chapter!
Carolyn
Mar 30, 2010 Carolyn rated it really liked it
This was a fun story with very interesting characters. It seemed a little bit deeper than some of the more traditional chick lit books, but for that reason was a little bit slower of a read.
Carol N
Jan 07, 2013 Carol N rated it it was amazing
I so love Southern writers with interesting female characters, small towns and Southern family life and traditions. Made me feel good - what a good way to start the New Year!
Pat
Mar 21, 2015 Pat rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy nice stories and this followed some characters from before. And also the area that is mentioned, Outer Banks, Okracoke are fairly close by where I live.
Tiffany
Jul 26, 2013 Tiffany rated it did not like it
There was nothing WRONG with this book; the writing is pleasant and the characters are fine. I just got to page 35 and wasn't yet hooked. It just wasn't my cup of tea.
Susie
Sep 26, 2009 Susie rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. It made me laugh out loud, get teary eyed and I couldn't put it down. Each chapter made me want to read more, and want a mini-trip to the beach!
Brandy
Sep 03, 2012 Brandy rated it liked it
This book was pretty good. I didn't get into it until about halfway though. The characters were neat and it was cool reading about Ocracoke and the NC coast.
Ryan
Aug 11, 2011 Ryan added it
A very enjoyable follow up novel to Moon Women. It could really stand on it's own which is good since it's been a few years since I read her first book.
Ruth
May 16, 2010 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: southern
Love this author. Love this book. Cassandra, from Moon Women, is a run away bride who finds friends, family, home, lover, her place. Feel good read.
Kathleen
Apr 26, 2008 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: the-carolinas
I have discovered I like books set in the not-so-deep South with interesting female characters, small towns and Southern family life and traditions.
Walker
Jan 02, 2008 Walker rated it liked it
Despite the somewhat cheesy plot and the super-cheesy title, I enjoyed this book. It's a nice and light story. Perfect for beach reading.
Charlotte
Jan 02, 2009 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
I really like Pam Duncan's books...light and fun and oh so southern. Great characters and a very fun and pleasant read.
Carrie Fernandez
Jun 12, 2008 Carrie Fernandez rated it liked it
Another great southern fiction novel. I liked the contrast of settings between the mountains and the coast of North Carolina.
Mary
Dec 31, 2008 Mary rated it it was ok
If anyone needs a no brainer and wants to read about my little part of the world, this was written my a local author.
Sandy
Sep 15, 2008 Sandy rated it liked it
This author is local to this area of the world, and I really enjoyed hearing her read from this book last year.
  • Sufficient Grace
  • Sweet Ruin
  • Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind: A Bestseller's Odyssey from Atlanta to Hollywood
  • Call the Devil by His Oldest Name (Mary Crow, #3)
  • The Return of Jonah Gray
  • Drawing Down the Moon: The Art of Charles Vess
  • The Madam
  • She-Rain:  A Story of Hope
  • The Chestnut Tree
  • My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2)
  • The Infidelity Pact
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel: Stuff We Didn't Actually Do, But Could Have, and May Yet
  • Out to Pasture: But Not over the Hill
  • With
  • Calling Home
  • Bufflehead Sisters
  • A Version of the Truth
  • The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom
Novelist Pamela Duncan was born in Asheville and grew up in Black Mountain, Swannanoa, and Shelby, North Carolina. She holds a B.A. in journalism from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and an M.A. in English/Creative Writing from North Carolina State University in Raleigh. She lives in Cullowhee, North Carolina and teaches creative writing at Western Carolina University.

Her first nov
More about Pamela Duncan...