The Big Beautiful

The Big Beautiful

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The critically acclaimed author returns to the North Carolina landscape she knows so well with this gloriously written sequel to Moon Women.

On an eastbound North Carolina interstate highway, the mountains and her hometown far behind, Cassandra Moon realizes that she has not only broken the heart of the one man who's ever asked her to marry—on their wedding day, no less—bu...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Dial Press Trade Paperback (first published January 1st 2007)

Patricia Keefe
I'm not from the south, and I'm not a romance novel reader. I usually read mysteries or thrillers and the occasional Stephen King. That being said, I loved The Big Beautiful and couldn't put it down. The characters are down to earth and may remind you of people you know in real life. They were hard to leave at the end of the book and they will hang around in my sub-consious for a long time to come.

I read the book in the wrong order and will now read Moon Women (this is the sequel) and hope that...more
Beth Browne
Ok, I admit it. I’m a sucker for romance. You can have the chills and thrills, give me love and kisses. Pamela Duncan’s book, The Big Beautiful, has both, along with a plot that takes off running and characters you want to adopt for your own family.

At forty-five, Cassandra Moon thinks she’s been given a last chance at love and marriage with Dennis, but as she heads down the aisle, she realizes that something just isn’t right. She runs out of the church, jumps in the waiting limousine, cranks it...more
Barbara
I like this book. It was an easy read but it was a book that made you feel good. I felt like I wanted to take a trip to their area and visit the people and sit in the sun and enjoy the water. The characters had a good rapport with the readers. I liked the main character and her feelings about family and life. A nice story with a happy ending despite all of the drama.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Cassandra Moon, firmly in her 40s, is finally getting married. She's been taking care of others all her life and now she's looking forward to having someone else take care of her for a change. All she has to do is walk down the aisle and say "I do." So why does she find herself in her wedding dress, driving like a bat out of hell in the honeymoon limo and heading for the coast, still a single woman? She must be crazy.

She ends up staying with her Aunt May and Uncle Walton in Salter Path, NC. She...more
Christina
Dec 01, 2010 Christina is currently reading it
Like it's predecessor, Moon Women, this is a book I return to and am reading over a very long period of time. I found it on the shelf with a bookmark about halfway so I still need to finish it. I started when I was pregnant and at that time I had a very difficult time reading books and switched to magazines (mostly craft/sewing/art). In both books you can remember the characters and what was going on when you read it last - even if it was a year ago - but I'm not driven to inhale it like some bo...more
Donna Whetzel
Enjoyed this book...characters were very appealing...spent some time in North Carolina along the coast so that made the book even more special
Melody
I loved cassadra moon. I could relate with her in so many ways. I loved the theme of the story, about life and love. I felt at times as I was reading this book, as if I was in Salter Path myself.. and I never wanted to leave. I just found out its a sequel to "moon women". I thought this book stood alone, but I will read moon women, and im excited. Pamela Duncan is one author I will follow!
Rita Quillen
Loved this book...just funny and as the "blurb" said--"quirky". But a really fun read....
Diane
Quick, easy read. A little more complex than most beach reads, but not too much.

My biggest beef with the book is that the main character is "full-figured" and her size is a main component of her character in the book...with a theme of you can be happy and full-figured/older. Yet, the image on the front of the book is a skinny girl.
Tiffany
This was a book I thoroughly enjoyed. Not only did it give me all the "feel good" vibes of what I call "fluff" books, it also had a very beautiful message behind it about being comfortable in your own skin. It was a lovely story and it didn't hurt that it is set in the South.
Joanna
This book is a quick read, but funny and happy, too. I relate to this author's books because the setting is always in North Carolina (this one, obviously, is mainly about the coast) and I can hear the dialect of the characters as I read.
Alyse
I loved Moon Women and was so excited for this book. I was disappointed at first because the book was kind of slow going but from the middle to the end I couldn't wait to read the next chapter!
Carolyn
This was a fun story with very interesting characters. It seemed a little bit deeper than some of the more traditional chick lit books, but for that reason was a little bit slower of a read.
Carol N
I so love Southern writers with interesting female characters, small towns and Southern family life and traditions. Made me feel good - what a good way to start the New Year!
Tiffany Dvorske
There was nothing WRONG with this book; the writing is pleasant and the characters are fine. I just got to page 35 and wasn't yet hooked. It just wasn't my cup of tea.
Susie
I adored this book. It made me laugh out loud, get teary eyed and I couldn't put it down. Each chapter made me want to read more, and want a mini-trip to the beach!
Brandy
This book was pretty good. I didn't get into it until about halfway though. The characters were neat and it was cool reading about Ocracoke and the NC coast.
Ryan
Aug 11, 2011 Ryan added it
A very enjoyable follow up novel to Moon Women. It could really stand on it's own which is good since it's been a few years since I read her first book.
Ruth
Love this author. Love this book. Cassandra, from Moon Women, is a run away bride who finds friends, family, home, lover, her place. Feel good read.
Kathleen
I have discovered I like books set in the not-so-deep South with interesting female characters, small towns and Southern family life and traditions.
Walker
Despite the somewhat cheesy plot and the super-cheesy title, I enjoyed this book. It's a nice and light story. Perfect for beach reading.
Charlotte
I really like Pam Duncan's books...light and fun and oh so southern. Great characters and a very fun and pleasant read.
Carrie Fernandez
Another great southern fiction novel. I liked the contrast of settings between the mountains and the coast of North Carolina.
Mary
If anyone needs a no brainer and wants to read about my little part of the world, this was written my a local author.
Sandy
This author is local to this area of the world, and I really enjoyed hearing her read from this book last year.
Lisa
Excellent, fun sassy heroine who finds herself and love and acceptance when she runs away on the eve of her wedding.
Lauren Jones
Loved this book, especially that it was set at the beach in North Carolina close to where I go a lot.
Sally Boocock
Fantastic book for anyone who wants to feel better about themselves. A great sequel to Moon Women.
Linda
Funny light summer read - not up to Rebecca Wells or Fannie Flagg, as the reviews said, but fun.
Alice
on Margaret Maron's Top Book Picks Carolina Living, Southern Living 0ct/2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Novelist Pamela Duncan was born in Asheville and grew up in Black Mountain, Swannanoa, and Shelby, North Carolina. She holds a B.A. in journalism from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and an M.A. in English/Creative Writing from North Carolina State University in Raleigh. She lives in Cullowhee, North Carolina and teaches creative writing at Western Carolina University.

Her first nov...more
More about Pamela Duncan...
Moon Women Plant Life The Secret of the Long Room On the Swing of One Star Attack of the Crab Monsters