Start by marking “Granny D: Walking Across America in My Ninetieth Year” as Want to Read:
Granny D: Walking Across America in My Ninetieth Year

Granny D: Walking Across America in My Ninetieth Year

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"There's a cancer, and it's killing our democracy. A poor man has to sell his soul to get elected. I cry for this country."

On February 29, 2000, ninety-year-old Doris “Granny D” Haddock completed her 3,200-mile, fourteen-month walk from Los Angeles to Washington D.C. She walked through 105-degree deserts and blinding blizzards, despite arthritis and emphysema. Along her wa
Published June 12th 2001 by Villard (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Granny D, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Granny D

Larry Bassett
There is a small band of people who walk long distances for peace or justice. They confront the unjust world one step at a time. Doris Haddock was one of that band and Granny D is her story. She was 89 when she started out from Pasadena, California. She was 90 when she arrived in Washington, DC, fourteen months later on February 29, 2000.

So here we go on a desert morning, bound for the Texas line: The friends are ready. Test the shoulder of the road to see if the gravel will roll under foot or
Gwen
Granny's cause was election reform, but I feel the walk did as much for her as a person as it did for her reader's. At the end she said her doctor said the walk had helped her arthritis and her emphysema, but not her back pain. To her it was worth it and she made many new friends, gave her life a new meaning.

Definitely a person I would enjoy sitting down and having a chat with. She voices many of the aspects of aging that I have felt and couldn't quite put into words. I always said if you have a
Ljonz
Doris Haddock was 89 in 1999 and had two birthdays on the road. She walked to protest big money in politics. She is so full of humor, wisdom, philosophy and heart that when things come up during my day, I hear myself asking “What would Granny D do?”

I learned of her walk because a couple weeks ago a theater presentation about Granny D brought her to my attention. If anyone wants this excellent presentation in their community, you can contact Jeff Sebens, at j.sebens@yahoo.com, 276-318-3808, to le
Cindy
To fight for campaign finance reform. We no longer have a democracy,. The govt. is owned by corporations. Whatever causes you care for: environment, human rights, health care reform etc., this MUST come first.

This book is also full of folksy wisdom and stories from a 90 year old.

"It was your hard times that made you so interesting, so wise and able to laugh at life. Aren't we lucky, friend, to be the creatures of such a genius Creator that even our darkest troubles graciously serve to deepen and
Joanna
It seems kind of cheesy to describe a book as inspirational - but it is impossible to read this book and not feel that inspirational is the word that best fits Doris Haddock's story.

While a great deal of this book is about her walk across America in an attempt to draw attention to the need for campaign finance reform, it is also a wonderful story about never being too old to fight for your beliefs and how our passions keep us young in our later years. And it is about the love that citizens have
Chelsea
Way better than I expected. A travelogue and activists' how-to manual, perfectly interspersed with anecdotes about growing up in the 1910s. Granny's observations on life and death don't come across as pithy or cliche; she speaks hard-earned truths often delivered with dry, cheeky wit. The actual speeches she gave at stops along the way, added in an appendix, make a great addition. Granny's perspectives on campagin finance reform, the role of government, and the capacity for change are enough to ...more
Amy
Met Mrs. Haddock when she visited our university. I had read her book in advance of her visit and found that it added greatly to the experience I had as one of her escorts for the day and moderator for her town hall lecture. She is a woman of indelible insight and indomitable courage. I can't imagine walking across the entire country to prove a point myself (let alone at the age of nearly 90). Read the book, visit her website, see the early 2007 documentary on her cause....it's all good!
Mary Louise Clifford
A delightful recounting of Granny's one-year walk across the United States to emphasize the need for campaign finance reform. She describes the many people she met, the hospitality she received, and the conditions under which she hiked in amusing, warm-hearted detail. One can't help admiring her courage and determination. Oh, that her efforts had resulted in some tiny measure of campaign finance reform.
Dana
"we gotta touch the hands all across the land just like granny d, and if you're feeling what i'm sayin' won't you jump with us please..." Ruby Valentine featured on Scream Club's song "Don't F*ck With My Babies"

my mom read this book and recommended it to me. granny d is a bit conservative for me. she's a reformist. but i'm into what she did. so awesome. you ARE never too old to raise hell.
Kathryn
I was impressed by 90 year old Granny D Haddock's determination to complete a 14 month walk from LA to the steps of the Capital in Washington, DC to call attention to the need for national campaign finance reform. She showed that one needs a purpose in life and should "go for it"!
Marilyn
Another incredible book worth reading more for the story than the writing. If you care about issues, put your feet to the fire, and be the change you want in the world.
Carol Hassett
Amazing to me that a 90 year old could walk across the country in all kinds of weather. Such an incredible lady. Enjoyed her insight.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
An eighty-nine year old woman walks across
America to encourage campaign financing reforms.

Phyllis Nelson
Phyllis Nelson marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Caleb Van etten
Caleb Van etten marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
James Athey
James Athey marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Tani Sanda
Tani Sanda marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Rickicerazabu
Rickicerazabu marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Kiya
Kiya marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Judybee
Judybee marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Joan
Joan added it
Aug 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Doris "Granny D" Haddock was an American politician and liberal political activist from the state of New Hampshire. Between 1999 and 2000, over a span of fourteen months, Haddock walked 3,200 miles across the continental United States to advocate campaign finance reform. In 2004 she ran unsuccessfully as a Democratic challenger to incumbent Republican Judd Gregg for the U.S. Senate.

Haddock's walk
More about Doris Haddock...
Granny D: You're Never Too Old to Raise a Little Hell Granny D's American Century Granny D Granny D